Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Robyn Barney (Lakeviewgram, #5664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“Part one of this merit badge requirement is to improve my grammar and spelling. Also to refrain from using slang, abbreviations, or any form of text-messaging language. I have worked at this. As I don't text message very much it was easy not to use any form of text-messaging language because I don't know any.

Part two of this requirement as to use a dictionary and pick out an unfamiliar word to be my word of the day, to write it down and incorporate in my life. I was to do this for two weeks.

Because I was going to visit my mother at the end of the month and she loves to play scrabble I chose words I could use in that game. I wrote the words and definitions down in my gratitude journal and also on my blog.

I learned a lot of good words to use in a scrabble game. I focused on "z" words and "q" words. Sad to say I wasn't able to use one in the scrabble game and my mother won by over 100 points. But it was a good start and I will continue to search for words she might not know. I feel like my grammar improved over the time I worked on the merit badge.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Robyn Barney (Lakeviewgram, #5664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“My mother is my oldest relative but I have interviewed her many times.
So I arranged with my aunt Dawna who is 84 to interview her. I spent about four hours with her and took her to lunch. We talked to her and scanned many family photos. She then let me borrow one of her books to take home and copy. I did that and returned it to her. That led to her showing us more things and answering more questions. Then she lent me another book she had complied about her mother, my grandmother. All this was information my mother didn't have.

The visit with my aunt was wonderful. Along with the photos and information we were able to get the two different days we visited her, she has offered to let us come and visit her again to get more information. She has a goldmine of information about my family information.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Becky Wickander (#5661) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have saved buttons from a few different sources. A few are from new clothes that came with extra buttons. Some are extras that weren't needed after sewing clothes. Most are from damaged/old clothes that I cut up for other sewing projects.

I think it turned out great! Now that I collected the buttons throughout the house, I see I have a lot. However, I will have to really search for antique buttons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  4:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Linda Cole (#4879) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I contacted all of the recycling centers in our phone book. Learned that only one receives anything but different type of metals. This center will take different types of metals, electronics, glass, plastic and cardboard. The center will separate the items for you therefore saving you work.

Made me look closer at things around me. The center is too far from home to use unless I have a large load but I am glad to know it is there just in case I am able to use it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  4:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Linda Cole (#4879) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Since we have only regular garbage pickup I contacted our local recycling centers. I found only one that will recycle other things than metal. An area business will buy car batteries. Many items can be recycled in the home. For example, milk jugs can be used to water plants in the garden during dry weather. Plastic bags can be made into holiday wreathes and food scraps which do not contain grease can be put into the compost pile or given to the worm bed.

To begin with I think it would bee too overwhelming to try to recycle everything so I will only recycle three. These three will be pop cans, paper and milk jugs. I have set up a trash can outside for cans and tow containers inside for paper and jugs.

Turning out very well. The pop cans will be sold when I get a trash can full. At the end of the week I only had two milk jugs and one of them was collected from outside where it had been used for something else. All other milk jugs were being used for other things. My biggest problem is paper from junk mail. The paper and jugs are in containers to go to a recycling center in another county as I go to visit a friend in that county.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  5:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Luckily for us we have a single stream system in town that makes it much easier to recycle. Despite the ease of it I have been finding ways to re-purpose things that may have gone into the recycling, like containers that I can decorate and use for other things. We have also set up our own compost system to keep food waste and paper towels out of the garbage.

Great! I don't know any other way to live now. Visiting family in MA who don't use these systems feels like traveling to a foreign country. I am shocked at the lack of recycling and composting in those areas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  5:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I used to work at Whole Foods Market at the meat counter. Part of our training was learning the differences between how animals are raised and their meat labeled. I also graduated from a college that specialized in sustainable agriculture and natural history, so this is a specialty area of mine. As a result I am super conscious of these things when purchasing groceries. I am also allergic to numerous additives so I do tend to either buy organic or make my own products. Recently I made my own lotion with beeswax, olive oil, and rose water.

This is how I live my life and I cant imagine doing it any other way!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  5:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“Before my Nana passed, we often talked about our family's roots. She told me so many stories, and tried to work out the genealogy. She had a cousin make up a book of one branch of our family at some point. Oddly enough now that she has passed, I have been talking older folks in the community (who I am not related to) and sort of absorbing their stories, I find it all so fascinating

It has truly become a part of who I am.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  5:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I have often toured the historical museum in town, and toured/worked at a nearby historical museum called The Old Stone House. I have spent 3 months poring over the records in the town clerk's office in town for school projects and for fun. I have a passion for the past, specifically the past in Vermont and have studied it extensively.

If I had the accent, you would think I was born here.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  5:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I have always enjoyed spending time with the elderly, as such I have often gravitated towards them when I seek out friendships. The vast majority of my good friends are over 60 haha. In the past few years I have spent a considerable amount of time with my good friend and octogenarian Dick. We go for bird watching drives together, walk in the woods, tell stories, and drink martinis on his roof to watch the sunset. I cant imagine spending my time better.

Dick and many others have greatly enriched my life and continue to do so, hopefully I do a little something for them as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  5:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I have been obsessed with Germany and the Scandinavian countries for years. As such I began with German and learned to count to 10, say hello and goodbye, and a few very odd sentences. Now that I have graduated college, I want to save up to get Rosetta Stone for German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic and Danish. Hopefully someday they will have Norwegian and Faroese so I can learn those too!

Pretty good, though it is obvious that my brain is not easily taught other languages. Hopefully with time this will improve.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  11:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“As part of my college degree I spent a lot of time roaming the countryside in search of wild edibles. I used Euell Gibbons as a guide! Ive found various berries, ramps, fiddleheads, apples, dog toothed violet, ginseng, wild asparagus, rosehips, and many others

I'm just glad people are ok with me wandering around their woods!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  11:32:53 AM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I've got a rolling list of items I need for my kitchen, and I know a number of folks who could use some of the bits I've found in free boxes and such and have handed them off to them.

This is wonderful! It keeps things organized and fresh and lets me help out my neighbors!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I have made baking powder, honey mustard, kombucha, blackberry syrup, catsup, and tomato sauce all organically, some of the recipes I use are over 200 years old!

This turned out great, I am adding traditions to the ones I grew up with and saving money as well!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  11:47:55 AM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I have a 540 page book I've assembled from family recipes, friends, other cook books, and websites that I use as my go-to reference for any concoction I could possibly need. It functions best as a word document, but it was accidentally printed once. I've shared in on flash drives with my mother, sister, and mother in law. I update their editions every time I see them because it keeps growing!

It is an obsession, and not one to be printed again. (it was a full ream of paper) it did end up going into the college library though so it didn't go to waste.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  11:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“Back home I tended 8 acres of organic vegetables, fruit and flowers as well as bees and chickens. I used only 1 spray and it was organic BT spray. I used horse manure, chicken manure, and compost to amend the soil. Here in VT I've tended the 15 acre college gardens for 4 years.

I miss my acres! Next year I am going to fill the yard with raised beds and start again!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  11:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“Built ourselves a small composter out of chicken wire and stakes. We add chicken scraps, hay, wood chips, and manure to it. It gets turned about once a month. We're hoping to use it for raised beds next year. The next town over has a composting program, as does the local high school and college.

So far so good!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I've built a bluebird box, and several feeders. Lately I've been watching what comes to them, listening to calls and observing them in the woods and keeping field notes.

It's wonderful to see each species arrive one after the other after the long winter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have a number or medical conditions exacerbated by stress, as such I've had to research stress and it's causes quite a bit. I have learned to take time for my self each day and I do that with yoga and some meditation. Often after dinner I will also take some "me" time with a cup of tea and a book. I Couldn't live any other way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“Made myself a half apron out of some ancient textiles I got at an antique fair. Even has a pocket that I attached a flower embroidered hankie to, and lace on the bottom from some very old bloomers. I am kind of obsessed with it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I've got my sewing box complete with scissors, thread of many colors and ages, buttons, beads, pins and pin cushion, safety pins, sewing machine bits, and other assorted odds and ends. It's my go to box for way too many things!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I've got a 5 year cross stitch I am about to finish, and Ive been embroidering bits of my crazy quilt for a few years now too. My favorite stitch so far is the satin stitch for making leaves.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I have been knitting for a while, I've done socks, a number of scarves, hats, squares, 2 pair of mittens, and a shawl. I also taught my husband to do a basic scarf. I'm obsessed. The husband liked it but not enough to keep at it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“This past year I made all of my presents for folks (mostly food) the wrapping paper, and most of the ornaments. It's just so magical!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  12:44:35 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“After scrapping a bunch of shirts and pants from the freebox, I ended up with 133 buttons to add to my collection! Great! They live in a mason jar in my sewing box.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page