Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  4:17:17 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“My mother loved to quilt. Her favorite pattern was the Catheral Window.
She taught me how to do this pattern by hand, not by machine as some people do. So I choose this as my first project.

I made this beautiful DreamPillow from vintage textiles that I purchased in France. I filled it with French Lavender from Provence.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  4:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched recycling in my area. This research checked into what my residential garbage hauler would and wouldn't take. It also included what other opportunities where available for recycling in the Columbus, Ohio area.

There are a lot of places to recycle items. Even if one place doesn't accept an item there is another place that will. There is even going to be an event offered through www.swaco.org and Ohio Health that will be hosting in partnership with the DEA a prescription drug take-back day on April 26, 2014 to recycle unused, old, or unwanted prescription drugs to get them out of the house.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  4:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I bought a composition notebook at the Deals Store to start my Thrifty, Nifty and Green Journal. I then wrote out my mission statement on the very first page of the notebook as a way to stay committed to going green in my house. I already have a laundry detergent recipe, bathroom cleaner, and carpet deodorizer recipe to write in my notebook. Another thing to write about in the journal is how I know use a spray bottle with vinegar in it to clean my kitchen counters. Next I plan on making a couple of gift baskets to give to my nieces to try out in their apartments.

Everything has turned out great. It makes it easy for me to keep the journal of green ideas and one central location to keep green cleaning recipes as well. I plan on sharing the book at every opportunity I get.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  4:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I have spent time in the South of France so I decided to continue on with my learning with this country. I enjoyed my time in Provence, visiting glass blowing shops run by the same families for over a hundred years. The lavender fields were wonderful and I was able to look for antique. Textiles to use in my business.

I speak some French and my husband and I have been working with our kids every summer to slowly build their vocabulary of French words with a really neat program.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  4:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I love art so I choose two artist from France for this badge.

The first: Charles Germaine de Saint Aubin

He was a draftsman and embroidery designer to King Louis XV. he published a book (classic reference about embroidery design) 1770

The second: Claude Monet 1840-1916 was a founder if French impressionist painting.

As a whole I am not fond of France and where it stands on many things. I think it is a beautiful country and from it has come many gifted and talented people. The two artist I have chosen were chosen because their talents and abilities appealed to me. I enjoyed reading about their lives. How they developed their talent and how they used it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  4:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“This is a sketch of my oldest son that I made from a photograph of him when was three years old.

I am very please with how this turned out. It really captured his sparkle. Since he graduating from high school this year, it is nice to have little reminders of him when he was little. I am going to frame this one to put on my bed side table.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  5:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Suzann Nichols (#5094) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Our local chapter (Southern Sass Society) took a trip during out meeting over to the Fort Payne Recycle Center. We looked to see what items the recycle center took. Several our members are not from the area and they do not have a recycling in there area. It was discussed that when the other members come for the monthly meeting to bring there recycle items. Notes were made of items that can be recycled. We also do not have curbside recycling in this area.

There is a recycling center in Fort Payne, AL that is open 24 hours a day. The city of Fort Payne operates the recycle center.

They take the following items:
magazines
mixed media
other paper white copy paper
newspaper
aluminum cans
plastic bags
glass
#1 pete plastic
#2 HPDE plastic
Metal cans (such as vegetable, tuna, fruit)
card board
Milk Jugs”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  5:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Badge!

“The book of Awesome was good and I made a journal. I liked that the best. It made me re focus on the important things in life.

I have involved my children in this exercise and helped them begin to see the things they should be most thankful for. We have very little extended family, but we have our health and a wonderful church family. God has blessed us with good friends and a lovely home. We are able to pay our bills and god blessed my husband earlier this year with a more secure job in his field.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  5:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Badge!

“I have been reading books and taking online courses on my Nikon camera and photography. It has been very interesting learning how to use my lovely camera my husband bought me. I also have a program on my computer that helps me clean up my photographs for use.

In this first level I have compiled 20 photographs from pictures I took while walking around our property. I was practicing the things I have learned about rule of thirds and depth of field. I still have a lot of practice to do but I like the ones I picked to use in a display on my website: www.parishfarmgirl.com. The display is called 'Spring at My House'”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  3:56:44 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I educated myself on some herbs that came in my Spring CSA baskets for the past couple of weeks by reviewing www.culinaryherbguide.com and freshherbs.com. I learned that a great way to keep the newly cut herbs fresh until you use them is to rinse in cool water, pat dry, trim the stems and put in a jar of cool water - just like you do flowers! In my CSA baskets, I found cilantro, chives, garlic chives, parsley, oregano and tarragon.

I used the tarragon on chicken that first week and was really happy with the freshness it added after a long, long winter. This week, I made a fresh pasta sauce including the oregano, parsley and garlic chives. It was so good! I will definitely be including herbs in my garden this year!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  4:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I set up and used my recycling center in my home for at least a week - in fact, so far it has been three weeks and we have had much success.

We are making regular trips to the recycling center near our home and watching the bins and emptying them at home has become a regular task for our boys. We were very pleased with the items we are finding that can be recycled and it has definitely become a family project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  4:15:01 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“For this badge, the assignment was to read Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds by Tara Frey. I completed this reading today. The other component of this badge is to choose your topic which I have done.

I found the book quite helpful and really enjoyed the profiles of the many people who have successfully added blogging to their lives to enrich the lives of others. It helped me narrow down which platforms to investigate and the tips mean that this is a book I will refer back to often and I create my own blog. I have decided to share my joys and failures and funny happenings on the way to building my hobby farm and farmgirl lifestyle. I am really looking forward to it - and even if no one in the world other than my family ever reads it, I will be leaving a diary of lifelong learning along the way. Thank you for that!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  4:26:15 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“I made my own budget mix (due to my severe allergies to wheat, oats, rye, milk, etc) I shop the perimeter of the big grocery store, but have to check out all the aisles of my local health food store. Made a budget--which I have rarely done for food, since I rarely buy meats, veggies or fruits, using what I have in the freezer or on my canning shelves--to keep track of other items I need to buy.

I love having my budget mix "on hand" for all the quick things to make when I'm otherwise busy. I know I'll be able to make a nutritious meal in a hurry when I'm in the garden, working with hubby in the woods or his garage, or lend a helping hand to a friend. I've always shopped the perimeter, except in our local health food store. I love to go down every aisle to see what there is that I might be able to use for meals. As for a budget, what I noticed was that groceries on the whole have gone up again, and I'm glad I have food at home!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  4:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I continued on my journey from the beginner badge. And I helped encourage 2 more friends to start with organics when they can.

My friends had a hard time thinking of the quality of organic foods vs. their price. I gave them the example of spending money on quality foods or going to the doctor because of being sick from a lack of quality foods. They are trying it, which is good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  4:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I finally got rid of all the toxic cleaners from our home--with hubby grumbling. My mission statement is "living green for a HEALTHY home. I studied many places to find cleaners that I could try & that worked for us.

It took some time & energy to get to a non-toxic green, but I feel so good about doing it. Once I wrote down my mission statement, I could focus on the clean-out & clean-up. I have so many allergies & cleaning products made it harder for me to want to clean. Not now. I know I'm helping myself, my family, and the environment. I kept a journal of what worked & what didn't and now have the recipes on cards in my recipe box for quick & easy references.

I have finally gotten to make all my own laundry soaps, all purpose cleaners, and others. I put them all on recipe cards and file them in my recipe box.

I had a great time finding all the recipes. And making them. I find that it is so easy to do & I don't have to worry about chemicals. The expense of what I used to buy added up more than I had realized! I am thrilled with the results.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  4:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I have be working on water colors and acrylics for awhile now. Recently I took part in several Farmgirl swaps and was able to use my paintings in the swaps.

I did water water post cards for the Easter Card swap and I hand painted one of my Buff Orpington Eggs with Acrylics for the April mail art.
You can see my April Mail Art along with some other painted eggs I am working on on my blog. www.parishfarmgirl.com”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  4:39:28 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“In my research on origami it seems that the origin of this art form is under debate. Some believe it originated in China, some in Japan. But in any case it is a very old art form that clearly came about after the invention of paper. In Japan, especially, it seems that different items served different purposes to some extent. It wasn’t until later that origami was introduced in Europe and it is believed the that “pajarita” (bird) originated in Spain. As paper became more available and the art form evolved there have been many other beautiful origami creations made and there are several books available on the subject.

I learned how to make paper boats, planes and hats as a child in school. We also learned how to fold paper to make cutouts for snowflakes, hearts, etc. I am now a paper crafter using paper in making cards, tags, memory books and journals and like to incorporate some types of paper folding into these creations, such as iris folding and tea bag folding. I’m always open to new creations using paper!

The photo is of a folded dollar bill which is just for fun! I also folded more hats, planes, and boats!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  4:50:14 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Merit Badge Application for ALL THREE LEVELS of the “WEATHER” Merit Badge: Beginner, Intermediate and Expert

BEGINNER:
How does one describe the earth’s atmosphere and weather? A very complicated, complex process that we can only begin to understand. Earth’s atmosphere is briefly described as “layers of gas”, which is mostly nitrogen, but contains some oxygen and the short term calls it “air”. Often certain air masses remain stationery over certain areas for a time, for example, the air over a tropical climate would become hot and humid. But the masses can shift and could bring changes to an area that are not typical for that region. But, the atmosphere is ever changing and moving, causing a variety of weather conditions. Part of that process causes changes in the atmospheric pressure and a high pressure system would indicate good weather while a low pressure means clouds and precipitation are probably in the works.

A barometer is an instrument used to measure atmospheric pressure and can indicate short term changes in the weather.

Wind is basically movement of air and, briefly described, is formed with changes in the earth temperatures, with different heating patterns between the equator and the poles and is affected by the planet’s rotation. Wind is also difficult to describe.

Studying all the elements of how weather is formed is very interesting and very intricate. Some of the other areas I have studied that impact weather are air masses, process of evaporation, jet stream and El Nino.

INTERMEDIATE:
One could study clouds for a long time and one could watch them form and move on for hours. They are beautiful, interesting and ever changing. Basically clouds are formed of condensed water/ice and are formed when rising air expands and cools to the point that molecules clump together faster than they are torn apart by thermal energy.

Common types of clouds are :
Cumulus, meaning "heap"
Stratus, meaning "layer"
Cirrus, meaning "curl of hair"
Nimbus, meaning "rain".
There are also classifications of high-level, mid-level, low-level and vertically formed clouds.

I learned to classify clouds a long time ago as a child in school. It’s something that my husband and I still practice so that we have sense of what weather might be coming our way and it’s something we taught our daughter when she was in school. Very intriguing practice!

EXPERT:
Because of our needs to know what weather might impact travel, gardening, building projects, outdoor activities and numerous other situations or activities, my husband and I have been charting weather in our area for a long time.

We are mindful of what might be ahead before planning any activity or project that is going to be greatly affected by the weather.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  3:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“This is my second quilt. The pattern was a Colorado Log cabin. It has an 8 pointed star in the corners of the block. This is actually an advance pattern.

I learned a lot from this quilt. For one thing, it was started on my grandmothers sewing machine and I made an attempt to finish it on my new sewing machine. It is true that you cannot change machines in between projects. My star points were not turning out properly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I do know how to knit, however I can only read French patterns. My goal is to learn to read English patterns. I am teaching my daughter how to knit. She made a pair of mittens and a scarf. I am also teaching her about yarn quality.

Love how her scarf turned out. She used circular needles.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“My husband bought me the book Edible Wild Plants by John Kallas, PhD. for Valentine's Day. The author of this book is a native Oregonian which is a plus since I live in Oregon. I would recommend this book for any farmgirl who lives in Oregon. This book has a lot of colorful photographs which enables you to classify flowers and plants in nature. Also there are receipts and tips on how to prepare the plants after you have harvested them.

I have used this book in my beginning to identify native plants and flowers. Also the book shows were to find edible plants and flowers in my area. I am planning to harvest edible wild plants and make a meal for my family and I in the coming month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I folded the following using a variety of papers:
rabbit
whale
frog
butterfly
heart
rectangle
shirt and tie
tulip with stem
iris
clematis with stem

Most of them I used regular origami paper while I was experimenting with them. Then when I was pleased with the character I was trying to achieve I used my final paper. Some of them I will admit were more difficult for me then others; rabbit, frog, whale, and clematis.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made a set of 6 place mats using a quilt pattern I adapted for this project.

I grew up using place mats at home and my boys like having place mats at the table. I especially like the cherry fabric with the black and yellow contrast.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge I researched the different types of basket making technique. After my research I realized I have been making coiled baskets for the last several years for all of my female relatives. I have been wanting to make one for myself so no time like the present. I used 1 yard of fabric, clothes line rope, and thread. First I ripped the fabric on the grain into 1 inch strips. Then I wrapped the strips around the clothes line. After you have wrapped the clothes line several feet I set my sewing machine on the zigzag setting. Then I just started coiling around and around as I zigzag sewed the coils together.

By using fabric, clothes line, thread, and a zigzag stitch I made a basket. I also added a hand sewn yellow flower on the front of the basket. I plan to use this basket to keep all of my safe toys and origami in so that when I have young girls over they can have something to play with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  4:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Robyn Barney (Lakeviewgram, #5664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I kept a journal every day and then twice a week I transferred the journal entries onto my blog. I read one entry a day in The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha. I wrote the day I read the entry on the top of the page.

Sometimes it was hard to come up with something different to be grateful for. It was a good experience. I am enjoy the book, "The Book of Awesome." I never would have known about it except for the merit badge requirement.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page