Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  3:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I did not know how to crochet! So, I asked a Farmgirl sister to help me get started. I was hooked! (no pun intended!) I started with a straight scarf, using only a single crochet stitch the whole time. I made a red-gold-and green scarf for my daughter. Then, I taught my fellow Farmgirl Sister, who also happens to be my Stepson's mother how to do the crochet stitch and get started on her own project.

I loved it! I'm crocheting every free second I get! I have a newly found yarn obsession.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  4:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Angel Strobel (Miss Angel, #2741) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“Started by getting rid of all the soaps, and cleaning supplies that was unhealthy to our home. Then I made a counter spray from vinegar, lemon juice, and water. Made my own laundry soap. Which to my surprise it's not that hard. even my daughters helped! Oh and I made a carpet cleaner for shampooing. Then gave the recipes to other friends.

This experience was great. We have been doing it for two months now and would not go back to store bought. This even costs a lot less than store bought.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  4:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Bangert (solarray, #4855) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I went to our city's website to look and see if there had been any changes to our recycling program in what they will and will not accept.

I was hoping that they had plans to start accepting glass once again, but it looks as if that is not the case. But they are going to have a glass drop off day in January.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  4:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Bangert (solarray, #4855) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have been bringing my bags to the store for years, my problem is that I don't always remember to walk out the door with them. So, and I don't know why I hadn't thought of this sooner, I have begun putting them in the car as soon as I empty them so they will already be there and I don't have to worry about forgetting them.

So far so good, for the past two weeks I have faithfully returned them to the car so that they were ready to go when I went to the store.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  4:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I gathered 6 mesh like bags I had gotten at the International Quilt Market and divided them into two groups of three (one set for each car). I then went to the grocery store to shop for my organic foods for the Bustin' Out Badge and took the bags in with me. I have never used re-usable bags before so this was definitely new for me, but it went very well and felt pretty good. When I also stopped at Office Max I used the remaining bag for those purchases too! I plan on keeping the bags in the car so I can use them each time we go shopping!

I have never used re-usable bags before so this was definitely new for me, but it went very well and felt pretty good. I was so excited to get to tell the bag girl that I didn't need the plastic bags this time!

When I also stopped at Office Max I used the remaining bag for those purchases too! I plan on keeping the bags in the car so I can use them each time we go shopping!

Now on to the Intermediate Level!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  4:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I decided to visit the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit, MI. I am originally from Port Huron, MI and now live in Ohio so this is right in between. When I was in grade school we used to take field trips to Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum so this was a sentimental place to me as well.

We decided to go on Friday, November 22 because in honor of the anniversary of the Kennedy Assassination they offered free admission. The actual limousine he was riding in was on display. I went with my husband and my father-in-law who is a World War II veteran.

I enjoyed seeing the history of the auto industry, but there was so much more. My favorite was finding the perfect "glamping" camper! I also found some really cool vintage sewing machines and since I am a quilter these were a treat.

I was very excited to try to find the rock candy that I remembered from when I was a girl. It was homemade rock candy on a string. When we got to the gift shop the girl pointed to a display of pre-packaged rock candy suckers. I guess a lot has changed in 35 years.

My all time highlight of the day was seeing all the people stop to shake my father-in-laws hand and thank him for his service. He had worn his hat with his military pins and as I pushed him in his wheel chair strangers would stop us all through the day.

For the next level I want to find some local sewers/quilters and get to know them and how they have evolved over the years in their craft.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  4:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“For the past three months we have adopted Wednesday nights as our game night. We come home from work, get our chores done, eat dinner, clear the table, then play games until it's time for bed. At least one night a week my daughter also reads to me as part of her reading homework.

It is very relaxing for all of us and has helped us strengthen our family bonds. We take turns choosing which game to play, so no one feels like her/his voice is not heard.

Reading aloud has helped my daughter with the pronunciation of some of her words. She is currently reading a series of books called "The Goddess Girls" which is about the Greek Goddesses as if they were in school. She is getting her introduction to Greek mythology in a form that is interesting for a 3rd grader.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  4:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Janelle Komorowski (ShabinLife, #5546) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“Purchased 16 hens, transformed a former shed and dog run into a chicken run and coop, starting to collect eggs. This is great! We are enjoying fresh, free-range, organic eggs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  4:57:28 PM  Show Profile
Janelle Komorowski (ShabinLife, #5546) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Identified 5 herbs (medicinal) as I am interested in trying to use more herbal remedies and learn to make them myself. I made a lavender essential oil for use in soap, elderberry tea for immune boosting, Balm of Gilead salve for skin irritations, Spearmint for tea for stomach upsets, and collected milk thistle seed pods.

It is interesting to learn new methods of using familiar herbs and some that I have not used before.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  5:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Janelle Komorowski (ShabinLife, #5546) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I inherited some old buttons from my mother-in-law, added to them by purchasing a small bag of buttons, and have been collecting buttons off numerous wool garments I have purchased from the thrift shop for re purposing. I love buttons and am eager to find creative ways to use them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  5:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Janelle Komorowski (ShabinLife, #5546) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I inherited an old sewing box from my mother-in-law's estate. I have added a few items to it, but enjoy using these things that belonged to her.

I have never been a seamstress but have several in my family, and want to learn to be able to make clothing and other useful items.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  4:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Casey Comstock (#5366) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I inherited some sewing supplies from my grandmother, including an older model Kenmore. I went shopping over the weekend to complete my kit. I have pins, needles, a few different types of scissors, quilting grids, a tape measure, a stitch ripper, and a few other odds and ends. I am excited to get started!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  4:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Casey Comstock (#5366) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I practiced using my sewing machine. I learned how to thread it and how to wind the bobbin. I practiced stitching by hand. I am really having fun learning and I feel a connection to my grandmother. She was a fantastic seamstress!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  4:42:06 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I calculated the household usage for our household for one month.

I continued with the goal in mind to decrease the usage by at least 10%. Since becoming more aware of usage we lowered our household usage by 13% which I am very happy to report. I hope to continue saving water usage and money!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  4:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been recycling for the past 2 months and re-purposing items as well. I have my family helping to recycle too in addition to setting aside items for compost.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  4:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“We try not to purchase snack items which in turn leads to my honey 'snacking' on things like English Muffins and Tortillas. I found a wonderful recipe for Cinnamon Raisin Muffins that he just loves and tried my hand at making my own tortillas with great success.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  4:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I love to cook and bake so this badge was right up my alley. After compiling all of our heirloom (and new) recipes, we re-created some favorite recipes for Thanksgiving. My mother is of French Canadian descent and has always made a Dressing recipe which was my Grandmothers. It contains ground beef, potatoes, onion, cinnamon and clove. It brought back many memories of past Thanksgiving when my Grandparents would come and visit. Thank you for helping me to re-connect with my roots.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I have tried a new organic food each week for two months. I have truly enjoyed trying new things as well as trying better, healthier quality foods .

I try to encourage my friends and family both to eat healthier and to try organic.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  4:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have learned how to customize my blog and to add photos.

I posted more than ten blog posts containing photos.

I have begun networking and visiting other blogs and building relationships. I enjoy journaling this way and making new friends :)

Here is my blog: http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I researched the difference between grass-fed beef and corporate beef at www.eatwild.com, read the article on the importance of organic beef on the MaryJanesFarm website, and read the book "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. I had always known that grass fed was better, but actively researching the information really brought home to me the importance of choosing your food sources carefully. I made many notes on the differences and found a few local farmers and grocery stores that sell grass fed, and finished, beef.

I did not know about severe loss of nutrients feed lot animals had because they were not eating a grass diet, but rather a grain diet. I grew up on grass fed beef (family farm) and had never given it a lot of thought. I got to thinking not only about the beef, but about all our meat and our diet overall. I am now making a conscious effort to source our meat locally and to make sure my own chickens are getting regular access to grass (they are not big on the cold or wet weather) even if we have to pull it up and drop it into the chicken coop.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  5:01:06 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“Papercrafting is not new to me, however, I had not actually pursued doing quilling.

Quilling, also known as paper filigree, has been around for centuries. It was used in the Renaissance to decorate scrolls and books. In the 18th century it became a "ladies" art.

Basic tools currently include a slotted tool, tweezers, glue, and a tapered needle.

I studied the different rolls and scrolls, which include tight circle, loose circle, teardrop, marquise, shaped marquise, square, rolled heart, loose scroll, open heart, V scroll, C scroll, S scroll and variations on the scrolls.

It certainly is nice that you can purchase quilling paper already cut into neat, tidy and even strips!

I decided to make a card with a simple flower design on it. Since I've made lots of papercraft cards it was pretty easy to get into the process.

I used teardrops for the flower petals, a loose circle for the center and shaped marquise leaves.

I'm very happy with the result and look forward to the next project!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  12:18:15 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“I planned and coordinated our First Annual Farmgirl Family Picnic at a State Park. I invited all the current members of our chapter, their families and a couple ladies who wanted to know more about what we do and their families. We had a potluck-style picnic with homemade honey, salsa, breads in jars, and salads made from veggies straight out of our gardens. After picnicking, we watched the kids play in a stream close by. There was a rope swing for them to swing on. They swam and we hula hooped, played Frisbee, listened to music and shared stories about what Farmgirl badges we were working on, dreams of projects we could take on together, and enjoying each other's company while having lots of fun!

There's a reason we called the "First Annual..." we will be doing this for years to come, joining our big farm family together to celebrate being a Farmgirl Sister!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  12:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“I needed help with a budget, and that's how this all started. I was made sadly aware of the amount of money me and my husband were spending on eating out, and other "frivolous" things. This money was ON TOP of our grocery bill, where I am making a conscious effort to plan meals, shop organically and on the perimeter of the store. After tracking our spending, I found that between the two of us, we were spending around $20 a day on food, coffee, treats, drinks, etc. The monthly total was outrageous! So I started bringing my lunch, using foods I purchased from the Farmer's market and quit going to Panera for lunch everyday!

I have been able to tithe more at our church, including donating to the collection for our local food pantry. I am so happy that we have begun making these changes! We are saving money and wasting less.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“In June of 2013, I organized a round up of canned goods for our Local Food Pantry and collected the donations at our Farmgirl Sisterhood meeting. I collected around 75 items and donated them the next day.

The ladies at the Food Pantry were so touched that I brought the donations on my lunch break! We got acquainted and they told me about other ways me and my Farmgirl Sisters could volunteer our time there.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  12:27:07 PM  Show Profile
Emily Rose Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I gathered together the supplies needed to make a sewing kit. Most of the items were given to me here and there throughout the years by my Grandmother. Hence, the ancient packaging and baby food jars.

I have used my sewing kit several times, and now that the supplies and tools are all together in one place, it's become so much easier to find what I'm looking for!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page