Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant it Forward Merit Badge!

“A local family had decided to go for a more organic diet this summer, but the prices on the organic food was quite a bit more than they had planned for. I planted extra rows in my garden and share the extra bounty with this particular family from my church. They received piles and piles of Kale, which they made into all sorts of interesting things, buckets of tomatoes and baskets of beets.

They were very excited for the free organic produce. It helped them save lots of money all summer long. Even a few times we would get together with others and they would share their recipes with the community.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  4:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I checked all my faucets for leaks. None were found inside the house or outside.

I researched ways to conserve water:
--Use of a low-flow shower head.
--Place a brick in the toilet to reduce the amount of water per flush.
--Use rain barrels to collect water for gardens and trees.
--Turn off water while brushing teeth
--Sweep rather than hose off a porch, sidewalk, or driveway.

This went well. I already had one 50-gallon rain barrel, but bought another for the other side of the house. I attach a hose to it and run it to bushes in the front yard that are under the eves. That way, when it rains, I can send water to the bushes. My husband and I also researched and are considering getting a 650-gallon rain collection tank summer. While I already brush my teeth with the water off, I'm using water smarter at other times (pouring extra water on plants, for example). We also waited to plant new bushes during the rainy season so we wouldn't need to water them much.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile
ennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I researched ways to re-use water, including the Simple Solutions suggestions. I have reused extra water for plants, but have started doing more of this. I also recently bought an extra 50-gallon rain barrel which I use for my gardens and bushes. I even run a hose from the barrel to trees in the front yard, so when it rains I can direct where the run off goes. Next summer we plan to get a large rain collection container (650 gallons) as we now realize how much rain water gets wasted.

My husband and I have become very conscious of sustainable living and collect and re-using water is not only easy, but gratifying. It has also opened our eye to how much more we could collect and use in different ways.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  4:23:46 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I found out that the following foods are edible in my mountain areas:

pine needles (for tea)--anytime
prickly pear pads and fruit--late summer
pinion nuts--Sept/Oct
bolete mushrooms--late summer/early fall
lobster mushrooms--late summer/early fall
puffball mushrooms--late summer/early fall
slippery jack mushrooms--late summer/early fall
jojoba nuts--early fall
dandelion greens--summer through early fall

I knew about some of these, but not all. I'm very interested to try out a few.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  4:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I spent time in the forest behind my house, looking for some of the wild, edible foods in my area. Mushrooms are coming into season right now. Since eating wild mushrooms can be dangerous, I have been confirming the safe ones with friends who harvest mushrooms. I know how to identify several now.

I've attached a photo of one kind of mushroom I'm not sure about. I think these are puffballs, which are edible, but I'm going to confirm with a friend before trying them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  4:27:45 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Prior (critzyj, #5297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“In the last three days, my husband and I foraged for prickly pear fruit and for mushrooms. We found lots of lobster mushrooms, slippery jacks, and puffballs (I think). I need to verify the puffballs before eating them. I've heard that slippery jacks don't taste very good, so we passed on those.

It was fun to find so many prickly pear fruits and lobster mushrooms. I have been researching how to make prickly pear jelly and also recipes and ways to store the abundance of lobster mushrooms we found. I have another photo of some mushrooms I froze and one that shows two large bags of prickly pear fruit.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  4:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Renee Soto (stereo1, #5396) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Since I adopted a cat four years ago, I have been more mindful of the potential harm that toxic cleaners can do. As a result, white vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide have become my go-to products. In researching homemade, non-toxic and eco-friendly cleaning products for this merit badge, I have learned that making your own non-toxic cleaning products is not only eco-friendly, but budget friendly. I have found that you can make almost any household cleaner you would need with the following ingredients, and I always keep them on hand:

• Baking Soda
• Washing Soda
• White Vinegar
• Hydrogen peroxide
• Borax
• Essential oils
• Castille soap
• Lemon juice
• Olive or vegetable oil
• Water

For example, I found and have used the following recipe for homemade furniture polish:
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
• Ό cup distilled white vinegar
• Ό tsp. lemon oil (or fresh lemon juice)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Using funnel, pour olive oil, vinegar and lemon oil into bottle. Shake well to emulsify. Squirt polish onto microfiber cloth and rub onto finished-wood furniture. Always go with the grain and evenly distribute polish. Remove any excess polish with a clean cloth.

Also, this all-purpose cleaner is great for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom. I love to use it to clean out my refrigerator:
• 2 cups Water
• 1 cup Hydrogen Peroxide
• Ό cup Lemon Juice

I had been using commercial dishwashing tabs in my dishwasher. I have recently switched to Home Solv CitraDish Natural Dishwasher Detergent Pacs. I like that these products are septic safe, cruelty free and vegan. I also enjoy using HomeSolv CitraSuds Natural Laundry Detergent. It has a delightful lavender bergamot fragrance and is concentrated for more efficient use. I have committed to using both of these products (or homemade versions) going forward.

This project turned out well for me. I learned a lot more about how easy and cost-effective it is to use natural products to clean your home and have made important changes that will benefit the environment and my bank account.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  4:46:18 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Graziani (CindyG, #4735) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I added one organic food each week for a month. The foods I added each week included organic wine!

The leafy green addition was inspired by an article about "the dirty dozen" twelve grocery store foods that are the most heavily saturated with pesticides. Several leafy greens and apples were the worst offenders, and since I make a lot of smoothies with both of those items I opted to swap them out for the organic versions.

I especially liked the wheat berries and tea. Whole Foods has a wheat berry salad I tried to copy and it was pretty close and very good. Wheat berries, fresh parsley, a little orange juice, chopped apple and pineapple and walnuts. Good stuff and kept me feeling full for hours.

The tea was an extra purchase from Mountain Rose Herbs when I ordered the special MJB magazine. I got their "Firefly Chai", which is a caffeine-free Chai. It is FABULOUS! It is so peppery, spicy and invigorating that I think it is truly helping me lose a little weight - really. It is so satisfying from a taste standpoint that I am snacking less in that mid-morning time. For me personally, it is so zippy that I'm hesitant to have it in the evening for fear it would keep me awake despite the lack of caffeine. If you like ginger and other "warm" spices, you should give this a try. I have yet to have it iced, but I'll bet it is delicious.

The organic wine was not different from non-organic, but it was interesting in that it was not just organic, but from a bio-diverse winery. That's a pretty cool concept that requires serious dedication on the part of the people in charge, and I'm happy to support those who walk the proverbial walk.

I am inspired to introduce more organic food to my diet. The idea of getting more nutritional benefit from the calories I'm packing away is a good thing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  3:23:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (fieldsofthyme #800) has earned a Farmgirl Legend certificate for earning her Chapter Leader Merit Badge.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  3:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Whitelatch (Spiffytiffy, #5438) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“After visiting a store called Uwajimaya,in Seattle years ago, I started collecting cute but super functional re-useable shopping bags. They convinced me that I could solve quite a few problems by using re-usable instead of plastic. I even have a re-usable shopping bag from a shop here in the Tri-Cities called Sunken Treasures, that when you bring it in and use it, you get 10 percent off your purchase!

I think it turned out well, this is something I already started and have committed to doing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  3:38:40 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I just finished reading the book Dare To Repair. In the previous house we owned I painted my kitchen yellow with pink stripes. I loved it. I wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't.

I love painting my kitchen such a fun color, though my mother in law wasn't impressed. Lol. I have learned a lot in the book Dare to Repair. If ever I need to repair something again I know where to go to find a helpful book. This book makes me feel like I can do anything if I just try.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for completing a Beginner Level "Recipes" Merit Badge!

"The other day, I got to thinking. I know. It happens sometimes, usually when I least expect it. I was thinking, pondering, marinating if you will, on food. Yup. Food.

That glorious stuff I’m really learning to enjoy mightily now that I’ve taken the plunge to really notice what I’m putting in my body. And you know what they say: You are what you eat. For too many years, I was a Big Mac with fries and a Diet Coke. Now I’m more of a veggie pita with iced sun tea!"

Earn a Beginner Level "Recipes" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here on Raising Jane: www.raisingjane.org/journal/18855

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  4:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Grow Where You're Planted Merit Badge!

“Throughout the spring and summer I collected wild flowers that were abundant and then worked to identify them. Most are common throughout the US and grow in nearly any ecosystem, providing food and oxygen for the local critters. I then looked up a list of rare plants in more state and in my area. I then set out to find some of the more common ones which was very difficult. What I found is that these are the ones that tend to have very specific and limited growing environments and/or are considered noxious weeds by farmers. As humans invade more sensitive ecosystems like swamps and tundra, they eradicate these wild plants.

I learned a great deal about the difference between rare plants and common plants. I also discovered I had a small packet of seeds (gotten in Alaska years ago) for one of these rare plants that I am going to try to grow to see if I can reestablish at least a small plot of them (chocolate lily). With any luck I can at least start to reverse the trend for one of these plants.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  4:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“13 of the 20 different plants I grew in my garden this year were from heirloom seeds. As I am harvesting this years crop, I am saving a sample of seeds from the best of the plants. My goal is to eventually have seeds from plants that grow well in the Pacific Northwest and are prolific. My chosen reference for this project is "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth.

This book has been invaluable in my quest for heirloom seeds that will do well in our growing environment by helping me to understand what characteristics I need to look for in each plant and what environment each plant needs in order to produce such as temperature ranges and number of hours of light or dark. My tomatoes, broccoli, kolrhabi, and other heirloom plants turned out to be super performers!!!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  4:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“Gray water is something I have been exploring for any number of years now. Since I use only natural cleaners for laundry and dishes, collecting the water to use in my garden would not adversely effect my plants. This would also lessen the stress put on the well, especially during the dry months.

I have also begun installing rain barrels. I find they work well with soaker hoses, as long as the distance is not to far, so they are especially good for getting water to my plants under the eaves. They have also lessened the run off down my driveway, saving me time and money in repairs.

Having rain barrels has been great as we are able to put in more, I am looking forward to being able to use the saved water for helping some of my plants and trees make it through the dry summer months without running my well dry in the process. Maybe I will even come up with a way to use some of it to do my laundry. Eventually I would like to put in a cistern for better water storage.

As time moves on, I would also like to put in gray water tanks under the house and begin collecting and using the gray water as an alternative to dumping it into my septic system.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  4:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“Looked up each one of the photography terms and learned something new. The rule of thirds was something I had not really thought about before, but made a lot of sense.

I have loaded many of my pictures onto my facebook page (stitches4sanity@aol.com) including photos of some of my crafts as well as the farm I am resurrecting with a lot of help from my family.

I have very much enjoyed photo documenting the things I have done. Being able to post them on the internet allows me to share with friends and family. It helps us all to stay in touch with each other's life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  3:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mackey (Jen Mackey, #4218) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I went through all my cupboards and got rid of storage container, pots, and pans that I don't use. I had some unmatched lids to some of my storage containers. I got rid of those.

My cupboards are now organized! Its very easy to find everything that I'm looking for!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  3:35:07 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mackey (Jen Mackey, #4218) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“After organizing my cupboards and getting rid of the storage containers that I don't use (along with pots & pans), I went and purchased all new containers. I labeled all the containers.

My pantry and kitchen are completely organized! Everyone in my family is very happy about the organization and neatness of the pantry and kitchen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  3:36:32 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mackey (Jen Mackey, #4218) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“My husband showed me how to sharpen our kitchen knives. I sharpened every knife in the drawer. I will continue to do this.

I am actually impressed with my cutting utensils! I don't think they even cut this well when I purchased them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  3:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have started the blog, WildSideAcres.blogspot.com and posted my first entry. I them sent an email to have it added to GirlGab.com.

Talk about nerve wracking!!!! I have posted my first entry and now have a lot of work to do to whip this site into shape. I am hoping this does not turn into another chore on my already long this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  3:51:46 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I extensively participate on freerice.com in both the grammar and the vocabulary sections. I avoid abbreviations when writing, especially those used for texting. I have spent over 5 years teaching students (both English and non-English speaking) grammar, usage, vocabulary and spelling, and continue that practice today. As an example, each week I would choose a different word to learn and use for an entire week, just as I asked them to do the same.

One of my favorite words so far is crapulent - sick from excess eating or drinking. What a wonderful and descriptive non-slang word. Having a good vocabulary allows you to talk about topics that might not otherwise be considered suitable for public discussion. It also makes kids crazy when they don't know what you are talking about, so they learn the words just so you can't do that to them again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  3:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I learned to paint with oils and framed a few of my paintings and some of my needlework. I entered one of my water color paintings for publication in the We'moon calendar. Many women will review all the entries and decide which one should be published in the calendar. I will not find out until next year if my entry was taken.

I am very nervous about it. I have spent a lot of years in the needle arts and only a few with paints. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Friends and family like my picture though, so I am hoping it will be well received.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  4:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I embroidered a set of pillow cases and a tea cloth (vitamin ball patterns) and gave them to a friend who was newly divorced and needing to feminize her space.

They turned out wonderful and she really appreciated having them. I used up a lot of odds and ends of thread which really gave both projects a unique look. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  4:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Debi Chandler (herb19355, #2512) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“I started keeping track of my gas mileage and tire pressure.(Did not realize how much of my monthly budget went to gas.) I learned how to check my fluids and tire pressure at a Tomboy Tools class and also purchased an emergency kit for the truck.

I am combining trips to save miles and gas. I learned how to replace the fluids (including freon)and learned how to change the time on the clock!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  4:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Debi Chandler (herb19355, #2512) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“My husband taught me how to change the oil in the truck and in the tractor. (it was a little tight under the truck for both of us.... and I got oil in my hair (Yuck!) but we successfully completed the jobs.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page