Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"Since college, I have been designing and creating my own cards. Finally, this year, I was paid for my efforts. I started a card design called Heartpressed Designs where I design holiday cards, baby announcements, birthday invitations, bridal shower invitations, or whatever my client can dream up! I charge a flat design fee of $25. The client prints where ever they choose...from home, a local printer, or a large chain. They have total control.

I started a blog to show off what I can do"

http://heartpressed.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  11:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge!

"We took stock of what cleaners we use in the house. We now are using Green Works, Borax, Arm & Hammer, Vinegar, and good old elbow grease!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  11:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge!

"I recently made our own laundry soap and have challenged my local chapter of farmgirls and blogworld friends to take the challenge. I have been making my own soy candles, and I am not burning the paraffin candles any longer. I recently taught my sisters how to make soy candles and we gave them out as Christmas gifts."

You can view the laundry soap recipe and process on my blog at:
http://lloydmountain.blogspot.com/2010/01/its-official-challenge.html
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I now have approximately 9 reusable shopping bags that I use for everything from shopping, to transporting, to reorganizing. I love that they are durable, economical, and cleanable!

I will continue to use our reusable bags. I am looking forward to applying for the next badge level as our chapter is going to make reusable sandwich bags for our "sew in."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  11:33:38 AM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge!

"Recently, I have taken stock of what we use to clean around the house. Instead of using pricy cleaners, we have made the switch to Green Works, Borax, Arm & Hammer, Vinegar, and good old elbow grease. I recently made my own laundry soap, and have issued a challenge to all my chapter sisters and blogworld friends on my blogsite
http://lloydmountain.blogspot.com

I am absolutely sold on the laundry soap. I found it easy to make, easy to use, and it still smells GREAT!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  09:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I own 8 reusable bags and not only do they go shopping with us, they go to the library, music lessons, doctor's visits, etc."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  09:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge!

"I've been using safe cleaners for years. But I was almost out of all-purpose cleaner, so I looked up another recipe and made it for this challenge.

I used 1/4 c. vinegar, 1 tsp liquid soap (which I previously made myself), 1 tsp Borax, in 1 quart of water. I poured it into a labeled spray bottle and put the extra in a jar to which I taped the recipe."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  10:34:08 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge!

"I posted my thoughts on reusable bags and suggested a swap with my Texas Sisters. I want to do a quilted bag from a tutorial that I linked to."

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1113
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  10:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"My daughter (13yo) and I dug out all the containers & lids, matched them up & put the unmatched ones in a bag destined for Goodwill.

We had 22 lids and one container that didn't match anything! I've included a picture of my daughter in the middle of the pile."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  11:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I already have a button collection so I helped my 13yo daughter make her collection.

She collected 58 buttons off of her too-small shirts, then added a few from my collection. Hers are in the Tic-Tac container in foreground."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  12:20:54 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Crochet badge!

"I began a lap throw for myself after Christmas with a new stitch my sister-in-law taught me called the pinneapple puff stitch. It took a while for me to finally get the hang of it, but when I did there was no stopping me.

It's quite nice actually. Sometimes I would pull out a complete row or two because I didn't like my tension on the stitch, but I'm really quite pleased with the results. Instead of fringe I opted to just finish off the edge all around with a double crochet stitch. It's quite warm and a great lap throw. It took me almost 40 hours to complete, but well worth it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  12:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Get 'er Done badge!

"I've been going to regular monthly meetings with our chapter since it was started. We take turns in each others home or we meet at a cafe for lunch and discussions.

It's been getting better and better every time. We now have 10 members and we are accomplishing so much together and brainstorming many ways to help in our community and with each other.
In this pic we have just spent several hours wrapping gifts we all purchased or made for a Christmas family we chose through the local Salvation Army."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  1:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Heather Wemhoff (HeatherWemhoff, #405) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"My nine year old and I decided to tackle this together. We went through all of our beach bags etc and came up with nine bags. We then ventured out on our weekly shopping trip. It was nice to not have any more plastic bags to get rid of.

I did learn that to be more successful we need to keep the bags in the car. I have forgotten and left bags at home a few times and I have had to buy bags at the store. I now have mesh bags for fruits and veggies and even reusable wine bags. I am now working on elimanting ziploc bags as storage. Thanks for helping us go green. My kids love carrying in our reusable bags plus they dont rip in little hands and do not spill all over the driveway."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Jessica Oakes (joakes1111, #910) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"Aprons! Here is the adorable apron I sewed using a McCall's 5284 pattern. I really enjoyed using the sewing machine, even though I got a lot of help from my mom and a good old seam ripper! It definitely met the two hour time minimum!

I am really happy with the final product!"

http://wildoak-feralkat.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  2:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Roop (Yarngirl, #736) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"While I was doing a bit of early spring cleaning in my kitchen, I went through all my cupboards and removed all the storage containers without lids and the lids without storage container. I tend to be a pit of a pack rat and this merit badge gave me the extra little push I needed to get rid of those containers I don't use.

I'm so glad I did this! I have SO much more space in my cupboards now! Thanks MaryJane for the inspiration to do this!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  2:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Roop (Yarngirl, #736) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge!

"During my early spring cleaning session in my kitchen I started making a list of what I need to complete my kitchen and also another list of what I WANT to put in my kitchen. My want list was longer than my needs list and I'll slowly incorporate those things in as money allows. I also boxed up a ton of stuff I didn't use any more and donated it to a family who needed kitchen stuff.

Once again, I love how much more space I have in my cupboards after donating those boxed up items. I also like having a list I can work off of when buying new kitchen things."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  2:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Roop (Yarngirl, #736) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge!

"I learned that a good friend of mines baby nephew was needing a blanket so I decided to make him one. I just used stuff out of my stash, as I have been quilting since I was 13. I used a fluffy batting to make it soft for him and tied it together instead of quilting it. I did this for 2 reasons, 1 because of being short on time, and also because that's how all my quilts were as a kid and I loved playing with the ties. I think it probably took me about 5 hours total to make this blanket.

I think it turned out very cute. My friend loved it and says her nephew likes playing with the ties too, which warms my heart."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:18:16 AM  Show Profile
Heather Wemhoff (HeatherWemhoff, #405) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"When my husband & I were both 22 his brother passed away and he was very disgruntled with his job. I encouraged him to start our business European Machine. We dreamed...then we planned."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Heather Wemhoff (HeatherWemhoff, #405) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"We dreamed...then we planned. I did all the legal hoops to get us started. I worked full time so he could make it grow."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Heather Wemhoff (HeatherWemhoff, #405) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"Four kids later two that we just adopted our business finally makes enough to support both of us working there, my dad works for us and so does my baby brother. We are truly a family business. What started out as wishful thinking is now a very successful business. European Machine LLC 667-3163.

We started our business 13 years ago and we are still going strong."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  12:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Heather Wemhoff (HeatherWemhoff, #405) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"Most people do spring cleaning, I always have extra time after Christmas. I decided that it would be a great time to do some organizing. I went through my tupperware cupboard and tossed anything that was lidless, I then used all those single lids to put under various houseplants. I donated some of the lids to our daycare for painting or glue or glitter holding. I then sent my baby brother who just got his first apartment some of my old and unnecessary tupperware.

I was so inspired by the tupperware cupboard I tackled my spice cupboard which would attack at random when opened due to being overly full of spices. I combined half empties and sent duplicates to my brother and his girlfriend. Now I plan on going through the kids toys. I'll check back with you all on the forum."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  4:22:36 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge!

"I finished off all the chemical products I have been using and actually threw some away. I only use natural cleaners and insect repellents in and around my home. I have read many books and make my own cleaners now and cut articles from magazines to add to my green journal that I write my recipes in.

It's been great. I've been making my own laundry soap for almost a year now and have just recently been making all purpose cleaners for counters, windows, and I made my own carpet fresh and air freshener. I'm using peppermint essential oil to rid out ants. Things smell fresher and I don't get a headache from cleaning any more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  4:34:48 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

"I grew up on a farm and had to go to school for grades 1-8 at a 2-room school which was a mile from home by the road.
We had a chestnut bay mare named Ginger and she was our transportation to school, unless we wanted to walk. Sometimes we walked, very often we rode Ginger. But we were never taken to school in the family car by my parents unless they just happened to be going to town at the moment we needed to go to school . . VERY RARE!!!
We rode Ginger bareback because my dad said he didn't want us getting a foot caught in the stirrups and getting dragged if we fell off (and we did)!
We tied Ginger up in the barn out behind the school where she patiently waited all day until school was out. I had to get up on a stool, stump, fence rail or something else to get up on her back. She was big, I was just a kid and there were no stirrups!

I learned to ride! I learned to take care of Ginger, including feeding, brushing, care of feet and getting bridle on and off of her.
I learned how to be careful when she was trotting, galloping or going through the orchards.
I learned about horses by studying the colors/breeds and learning to identify them. When we traveled we would look for horses and keep track of how many we saw, their colors and possible differences in breeds."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  4:49:14 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge!

"I did research on community/fundraising events held in my community, looking for procedure, purpose and outcomes. I chose to become involved in our local Relay for Life Event, which is through the American Cancer Society.
My beginning involvement was as TEAM CAPTAIN, which required participating in Team Captain University, Team Captain meetings and trainings. It also involved recruiting team members and leading the team as well as doing my own fundraising.
Eventually it was time to "pull it off" at the event with event fundraising, team activities, event activities, walking the track for event hours and doing a considerable amount of public relations work.

Our team consisted of 14 members all of whom raised funds, raising several thousand dollars for our team. They participated in team meetings, team activities, event activities and assisted in community education and awareness. It was a very successful endeavor and led us all to sign up for the next years event.

I kept a record of all my public relations work, fundraising work, team captain meetings, contacts made, correspondence, etc. in my planner/journal.
This also required reports by team captains at our meetings, as well as conducting meetings with just our team.
It required approx. 12 hrs/month for 7 month = 80+ hours."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  10:46:31 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Community Service badge!

"I continued to work with the local Relay for Life event, through the American Cancer Society.

I continued to particpate as a team member on our own team, the CELTIC HEARTS. This required my participation as a team member, raising my own funds and participating in the event.

In addition, I also became the chairperson for the ACTIVITIES and ENTERTAINMENT component for the event.

This required a tremendous amount of work in securing local community support from businesses, entertainers, leaders and others who were not already directly involved in the event.

It was my job to plan activities for the hours of the event with activities for the general public during the hours they were in attendance. Activities had to be planned for event participants throughout the 12 hour event, which included food, entertainment, games, prizes, team-building activities.

I enlisted the aid of friends from the community to assist with specific duties, which got them involved.

Required lots of public relations/community involvement and contacts, soliciting of donations of funds/goods.

Attendance at monthly leadership meetings with reports at each meeting.
Kept records in my planner/journal and event book.

Required approx. 20 hours month for 7 months = 140+ hours

Our event was "billed" as one of the most active, fun events ever held in this county.

Many families came for the general public activities.

Team members enjoyed themselves, had fun and signed up for a return event.

Considered to be one of the most successful Relay for Life events ever.

I had a blast!!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page