Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“There are many different wild game around our area. There are turkeys, grouse (which we call partridge), wood cock, rabbit, deer, bear, squirrels, ducks, geese. Most of these I have seen on our property.
I read the book "Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking of Meat, Fish & Game", by Wilbur Eastman Jr. Also my father-in-law taught me so many things about handling wild game. I also checked out the DNR pamphlets on all the differing regulations.

Since I love wild game, I've enjoyed learning over the years about how to take care of it properly. I love to bird hunt, but not deer hunt. I love venison, I just can't seem to shoot one. I do help my hubby dress it out, though.I keep learning new things each year and each hunting season.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“We already grow an organic garden. It is 17'x30'. I am helping a young woman try to do more gardening & keep it organic. I gave Heather a few tomato plants that hubby & I started from seed. I explained to her about the compost & watering. She's tried gardening in the past, only using other planting methods & fertilizers & pesticides. She's willing to give this organic thing a try, if I'm willing to help her along the way. YEAH!!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Becky Brillon (bbrillon, #3374) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“My mother originally taught me how to quilt when I was 8 years old, through 4-H. My first solo project wasn't exactly a beginner's project. It was called Navy Star and I created it while my fiance was deployed for the first time to Afghanistan. For this project, I am submitting a recent project that I would call beginner. I found the pattern on Pinterest, cut it out, pieced it together, 'sandwiched' it, quilted, and bound it. I used a meandering quilting stitch. The time I spent on the project was around 8 hours.

The quilt turned out beautifully. I will use the pattern again. It was given to an elderly church member going through surgery, as part of our Blockheads Quilt Guild at my church.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  3:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Becky Brillon (bbrillon, #3374) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“A co-worker/friend of mine's husband died suddenly on December 4th, 2012 from a brain aneurysm. As she made the decision to pack up her home and move, she asked me in passing one day what to do with all of his clothes. One of the suggestions I gave her was to make his wool sweaters into mittens for her kids. She thanked me for the idea, and handed over the most beautiful wool sweaters I have ever seen. I cut out the mitten patterns and sewed them together. The lining of the mittens is made from recycled fleece blankets I buy cheap at rummage sales over the summer. I was able to make 5 pairs, for a total of 26 hours.

Of course, she cried when I brought the mittens back to her. She gave a pair to each of her kids, her son's fiance, her mother, and a dear friend who met her at the hospital just after her husband died during an attempted CT Scan.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Becky Brillon (bbrillon, #3374) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I grew up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin where my family mainly ate our own animal. For many years in my adult life, I tried to become vegetarian and finally succeeded for nearly two years, until early 2013. I want to go back to being vegetarian for the same reasons MaryJane's article mentioned. My husband is a carnivore and always will be. When I buy meat for him, I make a point to buy grass-fed from a chain store, or if I have the time to go a couple extra miles I buy from a Fruitful Yield store where the meat travels to IL from WI (an area of WI I am very familiar with).

I have also sourced out the local meat market, and ask many questions of the butcher when I buy from them. We lived in Yuma, AZ for a few years (military orders), near a beef feedlot. Seeing the operation was one of the most depressing memories I have of our years stationed there. Everything I read about the meat industry, whether it's grass-fed or corporate, helps me to regain my vegetarian resolve.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:03:16 PM  Show Profile
Becky Brillon (bbrillon, #3374) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I visited allyourbeauty.org via Pinterest to find an article about the Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Herbs.

Five Herbs and their uses:
1) Turmeric - helps with arthritis and inflammation; widely used in Mexican and Asian dishes, but I use it to make Bread and Butter Pickles.
2) Ginger - also popular in Asian dishes, but I use it in my juicing recipes. At this very moment I have a root sprouting on my counter, waiting to be planted.
3) Licorice - known as the candy to many, the herb can be used as an anti-inflammatory, an anti-depressant, anti-ulcer, anti-fungal, and as an immunity booster. I'm not sure right now where to get licorice as an herb, but I think I'll start looking for it!
4) Basil - recommended to ease arthritis; easy to incorporate into Italian pasta dishes and salads.
5) Parsley - treats kidney problems, painful menses, digestive disorders, etc. Prevents the onset of rheumatoid arthritis and certain types of cancers. Combined with asparagus, it is known to be a powerful cure against inflammatory disorders.

The article was very enlightening. I suffer from an undiagnosed auto-immune issue and one of my main complaints is pain caused by inflammation. This article, especially the tip about the combination or asparagus and parsley has my attention. The herb I tried tonight was the ginger in my carrot/apple/lemon juice combination.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Becky Brillon (bbrillon, #3374) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I started gathering not only the recipes of my Grandmother, two Great-Grandmothers, and a Great Aunt on my mom's side for a family cookbook, I've also gathered every photo I can find of that side of the family eating and sharing food. I've talked to many aunts who have passed on everything they have scratched out too.

I can't wait for this project to be done and shared with my family! It's so much fun transporting myself back in time through the recipes I've uncovered. As it stands now, I have over 250 recipes. My most favorite part of the project is my new collection of vintage recipe booklets from famous name brands in the 20's-60's. LOVE!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have been using many natural based items for cleaning; vinegar, dish soap, lemon juice... I have not written a mission statement, but I have been determined to keep things cleaner for my children and myself. I have a number of "green" recipes saved to my computer that I have used and experimented with. I am always sharing these recipes I find on Facebook.

I love doing things in a good old fashioned way. Especially things that I know are safer for my family. I will keep experimenting with "green" cleaners. And keep on keeping Green!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have been using green laundry soap for the past few months. Recently I have decided to make my own. My Aunt posted a link to Facebook which of course I had to like and share. I used that recipe to make a dry laundry soap. I don't have the stuff to make my own hand soap, but I did purchase some from someone who makes it locally, I love it. I can't wait until the day I can make it myself.

The soap turned out great. It looks like it will last a good long time. I love making homemade things, especially the all natural kinds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I love to read. I can get so involved in a book that I lose track of time. I also love to have a cup of tea, water with lemon, or coffee with my book. A bowl of fresh air popped popcorn is a perfect addition.

I love reading. I lose track of time when I read and I find it hard to put down a book and easy to pick it back up again. I have been reading before bed a lot. It helps take my mind off all other things and brings a day to a relaxing end.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“This was a time consuming level and hard for me really. I wrote 40 letters to people I appreciate. To be honest, I had a really hard time coming up with that many people. That made me feel really bad. I don't know if I'm not appreciative enough or if I just don't know enough people. I mean, I know that I am an introverted person but this task really made me sit down and think and maybe that was one of the real challenges. I had finished the book of Awesome previously and I also wrote one of these letters to a news paper expressing my gratitude. Some of these letters were in email form, some on FB, but most were hand written on stationary... a long forgotten art. That is the true test.

I have received a very positive response from the letters themselves. People don't say thank you enough.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I talked to many of my family members to gather recipes for books I am making. The tricky part here is that I am making them in secret. Most of my family is deceased but a good portion of the family recipes had been given to my mother. So while she was at work I raided her recipe box. Then I contacted my sister, her fiance's family, my brother and his finance's family and so forth to gather up as many recipes as I could. You see I am making three secret books as gifts to bless them with. In doing this I will have brought together 5 families in one book, three in another and countless in the third all over food.

It took a lot longer than I wanted it too but people are busy and you have to work around the schedule of others. Once others got to working with me though I was surprised at how they wanted to include the pictures of their loved ones as well. What a great thought!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  4:55:19 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

"I used Peaches & Cream 4-ply cotton yarn and chained a length of 11 inches. Then working in a single crochet back & froth until I had a approximately a square of 11 inches. As a finish I single c 2 stitches in every other stitch around, putting 3 stitches in the corners. To end, I chained a loop at the final corner and wove to tail thread though stitches to hide the tail. Never having made a dishcloth before, I am pleased with how it came out. I worked on it for about 45 minutes each day for the past couple days plus another 30 minutes today."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  5:12:10 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I decided to start running again after taking a few years off. I didn't want to push too hard and get burnt out so I set my goal at running 20 miles for the month of April. It turned out Great! I worked up to running 2 miles continuously and ended up running a total of 21 miles for the month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  5:29:25 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing On The Cake Merit Badge!

“I studied the Wilton website and learned a lot. I've tried cake decorating in the past and if I had known about this site in the past it would have been a big help. I spent many hours learning about which tips make which designs and patterns. I loved finding the recipe for the frosting. I didn't take a class but after going through the beginner guide I feel pretty well equipped and I have pretty much all of the tools anyhow. The only thing that will be a real learning experience are some of the designs and anything to do with fondant.

I am feeling pretty confidant. Excited to get started. I have everything together and have begun the process of my cake. I even started making my frosting and it came together great! What a fabulous way to save money.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  5:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I've gone through many different bird-watching books to check out the birds from here. We have so many birds here on our property. We most have chickadees, blue jays, nuthatches & woodpeckers to name a few, but there are others who come & go. On "MY WISH LIST" is to again see sandhill cranes. They are so-o-o loud, but beautiful. I'd also like to have a pair of cardinals.

The spring is bringing back many of my favorites. Today I saw a hummingbird, tapping on my window, as if asking me "where is my food?" It went to my flower baskets hanging on my deck. We have a pair of cardinals coming to the feeders right now. I hope they will stay. And yesterday, we saw a northern mockingbird. That is a first for us here!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  5:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I have oregano, chives, chamomile, spearmint & lavender. I use all of my herbs for different things. From cooking, to tea, to massage oils, they are awesome to have on hand. It is fun to work with herbs! I'm trying to find all kinds of ways to use them more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  5:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“I checked all my fluids on my car this last week. I had to add washer fluid to it. I checked my tires & found one low. I also kept track of my mileage & fuel for a month.

I realized that we've owned the new van for over a year & I hadn't a clue where anything was under the hood. I had hubby go through all the fluids/containers under the hood, where to find the tire inflation label. He was happy to show me. I also kept track of my fuel & mileage. We keep trips to town to a minimum & try to take trips together. We are spending lots less on gas & saving the new van!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  5:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Mary Duffel (Madelena, #3153) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I was participating in a Homemade Earth Day Swap, and thought an apron would be perfect for part of the swap. I referred to book with a variety of apron directions and selected a 1/2 apron with a pocket across the front for fun. I selected the materials that had a good contrast - purple and yellow floral.

Turned out great! It was so much fun to choose the fabrics and create it for another farm girl. The directions were easy to follow and I enjoyed the creative process. I can't wait to make more aprons and wear them! Please see picture under Swaps: Earth Day Handmade Makers Swap-partners posted.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  1:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Maurer (Rae Chello, #4860) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I have to say, This has been such a rewarding experience! Not only is it lovely to spend time with my amazing grandmother, but I have also befriended the other residents at Reflections! It's heart warming, to have "memory care" patients remember your name, your children, and to greet you with an inviting smile each time you visit.

We visit twice a week, and typically spend about an hour each time. I began this badge on March 11th, 2013.

We went later in the day one evening, and I apologized to one of the attendants that we cause so much of a commotion!! He gladly smiled and said "Children really perk up this crowd". I couldn't help but smile back and explain that the wonderful folks at Reflections really perk us up, (which honestly couldn't be more accurate).

It was so difficult in the beginning, knowing my grandmother was not going to be in my care, but Reflections (Assisted Memory Care) has really become like a second home to my children and me. We will continue to spend time with our greater generations, learning the wisdom and love they hold. Time is so precious, enjoy and live it to the fullest.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  1:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Maurer (Rae Chello, #4860) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have been collecting buttons for this since 3.11.2013, and today I decided it was time to finalize!! I took 3 old button up t-shirts, that were too stained to donate (old work clothes and a men's button up shirt my brother left behind years ago). Snip, clip and boom, button collection complete! (the material was also cut into strips for "tug toys" for the beast of a puppy that loves to tear stuff up!!) A couple of my grandmother's buttons found their way in to my "50ish" buttons for the badge, as they had been found randomly floating around my house. I'm a huge button fan, and now with this 50, I may just retire a few more of my grandmother's precious buttons, kept safely in my vintage mason jars.

It turned out fantastic! As a crafter, I use buttons often, and having a collection is wonderful!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  1:42:15 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I continued my workout routine for two more months by doing the various DVD's I had started with in January. I also got my kids and the neighbor kids to join in on the fun. They did quite a bit of working out during the past two months. It was a lot of fun. I only got outside to run a couple of times because of the crazy weather we've been having, so didn't get to train as much as I wanted before the 5k took place.

I ran a 5k on May 11th, 2013 with my husband, daughter (14), son (12), and neighbor girl (15). It was a first for the girls. But the rest of us had done them before. Because I hadn't run very much prior to the race, it was a similar time to my first one I had run several years ago. We all agreed that this race was a practice race and are now working towards actually training for the next 5k in July. My youngest daughter (10) and our other neighbor girl (12) ran the fun run 1 mile. It was a windy/brisk/cold day, but we all made it and it felt good to accomplish that run!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  1:48:38 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I love chips so I decided to try to make my own. I chose to make tortilla chips. I took tortilla shells and cut them into eight pieces. I sprayed oil on both sides and then put them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. I then sprinkled seasoning salt on top of the tortilla shells. I baked the shells in the oven for 10 minuted at 350 degrees. My homemade tortilla chips turned out great and tasted really good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  1:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I made 2 types of chips for this badge. The first chips were deep fried in oil and then sprinkled with seasoning salt. The second chips I made were sprinkled with dry ranch seasoning. They turned out good. My grandsons and I really enjoyed the chips.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  1:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I took my homemade tortilla chips and homemade potato chips to our Farmgirl chapter meeting on May 17, 2013. Everyone in our small group brought unprocessed items to be eaten. Our group had a lot of fun trying the different types of unprocessed foods.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page