Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  4:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I researched through books, Internet and friends the different ways to dry herbs and spices. I have chosen to dehydrate simply because it is healthier and easier for me. I have mixed the ten spice blends using herbs I have recently dried from the Ideabook, packaged them in cello bags, and have given them to a young man that he and his family including the kids hunt every year. No bows attached. I suggested he take his DEER around the World with the mixes.

The herbs dried nicely and it was interesting to see how all the mixes looked and smelled after mixing. This will be a Christmas gift for a few of our friends and family members this year.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  4:46:19 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I found a apple pie filling that I liked and canned it in 3/2013. I had made and canned my meatless spaghetti sauce in 2/2013, and then at the end of 4/2013 I pickled veggies as a garden mix.

They all turned out great. I even ate a few of the pickled veggies although I have never been too fond of them. My husband & I both enjoyed a meal using the sauce and having apple pie afterwards.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  4:49:33 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Over the last six months I have been getting rid of all the plastic containers in my kitchen including the "T" brand. I have gone to all glass for my storage including my dry goods. I have put them into a box I will donate to a family in need.

This week I was able to give a family that had a fire in their house recently and lost everything in the kitchen, the box of all my containers I had set aside. Monday I delivered them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  4:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“In Dec. of last year I began a plan to add the need small and larger tools I wanted for my kitchen and pantry areas. It meant putting doubles aside in a box and upgrading a few other things. This week with getting my electric pressure cooker/canner I have reach the end of the list I created in Dec. along with the weeding out.

All the items I had set in a box to donate, I gave this week to a family that had lost their kitchen to a fire. I was grateful the items would continue to be used.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I spent 50 hours making a whole slew of items but the gist of the idea is that I am really teaching myself to sew. I am now very familiar with my machine. During this time. I made two denim purses out of recycled jeans. One is a gift for my niece one for my daughter. I made two layer skirts from a pattern online. One of these is for me and one for my daughter. The material is almost all given to me and the slips well on is and old night gown and t-shirt and the other is a curtain. I made a set of hand towels and wash rags and an era dress complete with darts and a zipper which are both a first for me. I also made a green summer dress that had shirring, also a first. Amazing what you can get done in that amount of time.

They turned out great! My favorite is the black dress. It is really the only fabric that I bought. I was so worried that it wouldn't fit me and there were so many firsts involved but then it all came together. I was so happy. Some of these items are gifts so it looks like I may shoot for the all home made Christmas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been recycling for many years. I take the aluminum cans we collect to the recycling center. I give the money from the cans to my 2 grandsons. I use plastic milk jugs to start seeds in. Paper is used as a weed barrier. If I have any plastic bags, I take them to Walmart and put in their recycling bin.

I have got my grandson, who is 5, helping his mother recycle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:24:47 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner level Bee Good to Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I read Montrose-Life in a Garden by Nancy Goodwin. I liked how the book used dates instead of chapters. It was also interesting where it talked about companion planting.

I do not use any type of store bought pesticides in my garden. I use homemade remedies to rid of pests like basic soap and water. I also use my own fertilizer from my chickens instead of store bought fertilizer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:35:13 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I looked through a variety of books, read a variety of information of the Wilton website and took a class. I had never done anything with cake making before, aside from making a plain sheet cake and slapping some frosting on it. I was impressed with my beginner efforts!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I've put together a wonderful decorating kit and even bought some fun sugars and sprinkles to have on hand. I made a second cake all on my own and decorated it. I love my little kit. It is so satisfying when things are organized. My husband took the cake to his work and it was enjoyed!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I purchased a great beginner kit online and it was just perfect to learn with and not become discouraged. I made a variety of items -- my favorites were a sun, a butterfly and a yellow rosebud necklace.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I have enjoyed writing gratitude journals a variety of times in my life and this was fun, too. I am truly grateful. Also loved reading "The Book of Awesome."

I am so blessed. I delight in the little things that Pasricha came up with to be grateful for!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I took an old pattern for a half apron and used some left-over fabric. Cu a half circle and put a ruffle on the bottom. added a thin waistband/ties. I worked on it for and hour the first day, then another hour the next. I came out well. I only wish I had had more fabric to make the ties and waist wider.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I took the pattern that came with an order of BakeOver and applied the embroidery design to a plain muslin full apron. then I cut a second apron out of a printed floral and made the apron reversible. Although I started the embroidery part in 01/2013 I did not finish with the rest of the apron until 04/2013.

I think it came out well. Most of my friends that have seen it were delighted by it and want one of their own.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:17:02 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (#5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I bought & sewed the Dishtowel Apron Kit. In making the apron I learned how to put many layers of fabric together & sew it together. I became an expert with a seam ripper trying to get the waistband correct. Even though the apron isn't perfect, I am happy. The waistband probably needs more work but for not sewing in 40 years, I am satisfied.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (#5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“In the full length apron, I learned about sewing a casing for the strap to go through. How to sew facing on the bib part & also how to add chicken scratch to the apron. I really like the apron alot. I love the aqua gingham check & the cross stitch that I did.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Kim Reineke (#4826) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I sewed a half apron out of three shamrock fabrics. It is fully reversible, with pockets on both sides and has bias tape trim. I spent at least 3 or more hours sewing this apron, and it was a pleasure to give it to one of my best friends, Tiffany. I hope she is wearing it in her kitchen! I personally have been wearing an apron in my kitchen (and around the house in general, plus the working-outside ones) for about 5 years now, and plan to continue to be aproned forever!

I am proud that my sewing skills are improving and plan to continue to sew aprons as gifts and for everyday use by myself and my daughter!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Graziani (CIndyG, #4735) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I had taken an apron-making class at a local non-chain fabric shop, and used the book from the class to make an apron for this merit badge. I selected an apron that is both functional and cute, and had some challenges to a slightly-better-than-beginner seamstress. The bottom is quilt-like with two strips of squares in a brickwork pattern, with lace in between the sections.

Selecting the fabrics was the most fun part of this, and I am beginning to see how quilters end up with rooms full of fabric - it is addicting!

The results of this home-decor weight, muslin-lined apron were a little funny. Not really, but I'm glad I can laugh at it. My first pass at cutting the main panel of the apron was WRONG in that I oriented the fabric design incorrectly. No problem because I had enough fabric to cut another. The phone rang, I got distracted, came back to it and cut it wrong again! I don't know where my head was, but I gathered my thoughts enough to piece together three panels with the design in the proper orientation to create a piece large enough to make the main body of the apron.

I like the longer length of this style, love the little towel loop in the waistband, and plan to wear it a lot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“With my son's help, we discovered many things on our family tree. We shared all the pictures we could find, obituary reports, and we got some neat leads on family members that we hadn't researched before. My son was thrilled to find an article & picture of the army company that his grandfather was with during WWII. We keep finding more and more about my family, especially my mother's side--she was adopted, but we found about the "real" family. We continue this journey often. We used Ancestry.com for so many things.

It was joy to actually find the information, especially about my mother's family. I was always told that there was no way to find out anything. My only regret is that my real grandmother was alive until 1995 & I could have maybe gotten to know her. Some things my mom didn't want to rehash.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I started my Community Service Journal. I wrote down 3 organizations that could use my help. I chose one & found out how to help. I volunteered at The First Lutheran Church with their Women's Sewing Circle. They put together blankets & quilts to be distributed throughout the world--to a place of need. I cut material, pin pieces together, tie the quilts together & box up the quilts & blankets to be sent. I spent 12 1/2 hours working together with a great group of ladies.

Since I began going to Sewing Circle, I have come to love the project even more. We gathered materials & made blankets for over 300 needy people. We did a "hurry up" stack of blankets to send to the East Coast after Hurricane Sandy hit the Jersey shores. Our goal is to make 800+ quilts/blankets by November. I'm also thrilled that I am "the youngest" member--most of the ladies are in their 70's & 80's!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I went to the Delta County Historical Society Museum in nearby Escanaba, MI. (I live 400+ miles from where I was born & raised; I've actually lived in this area longer than down there) I was intrigued by all the information & the places that I've been to around the area. I often "dream" about what it would've been like in the early years here. Some very interesting "characters" & stories are there.

I love history of places & people, so this was fun. I became so inspired that I join the historical society & attend some of the lectures they offer on the area.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level In The Garden Merit Badge!

“I rarely have tin cans, as I home can our produce, but I did reuse those lids & a few tin cans for planting seedlings. Can to put the soil in the containers; lids to label the different seeds planted; to mix up the compost & water. I also made a birdhouse together with Hubby. And we redid the flowerbed in the back, making it a raised one.

Since I reuse so many things, I had to really think about where & how I used the lids/cans. Building the birdhouses is a winter "Let's do something to not be bored" project, that we do each year. We are up to 10 birdhouses this year! The flowerbed was just plain ugly & a disaster for my plants; it was time to fix it up! It was fun working with hubby & getting dirty on all these projects.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“I was able to watch a couple shows on our PBS station on decorating the home in "green-style". I also checked out a couple books at the library. There are some very interesting ideas that I'd like to try. I found ways to decorate that I love! I found a great deal at an auction for an oak rocker for my living room; tea pots to place in the kitchen area; doilies to use throughout the home; dresser scarfs; tablecloths & napkins; carpet beater; ladies hankies.

Well my rocker is the best thing I've found so far. It fits me like a glove. The tablecloths were just like new & add a new dimension to my kitchen. The teapots are lovely & functional & used by me daily. Oh how I'm so thankful to my hubby for suggesting that we go to the auction!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:10:17 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“We went to Cudjoe Key, Florida for a month of fishing and relaxing & away from the snow we get here in March. When we got there, Hubby & I bought our fishing licenses & regulation book. Hubby rechecked my line, pole & reel for me.

We fished most days & nights for the month. And we were blessed to have friend that took us out in his boat a few times. I caught quite a few snappers, a jack, mackerel & a few others. We did clean & cook them & brought some home. Yum, Yum, Yum!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I made up new first aid kits for both cars, the kitchen, the boat & the garage. There are 2 in one bathroom with another in the spare bathroom. We have fire extinguishers under the kitchen sink, in the basement, in the laundry room, one in each garage & one in the boat. We check our smoke detectors when we turn back the clocks in the fall, replacing batteries in all of them.

As a nurse & naturopath-to-be, I feel it very important to have first aid kits everywhere I think they will come in handy. They are the first thing I check & pack for any kind of trip. I have both kinds of kits because I need to use both at times. As for fire extinguishers, my hubby insists on having them around. Safety first & foremost with him! Not only do we have smoke detectors, this last year we installed a CO2 detector.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-At-Arms Merit Badge!

“I checked out all the safety rules for guns & the regulations through our DNR. They are very helpful! As for hunter-safety, I cannot get into one as I don't need to be--age, I guess--and they want to get the younger hunters safety first. We have very limited instructors here right now & classes are always booked to where they have to turn down people.

I studied what I could from the library & my hubby, who is an avid hunter since he could hold a gun. We always read the state hunting regulation books together & keep informed. I have been hunting since I was 10 years old, first with my grandfather on his farm, then my hubby since 1974, and with my son since he was old enough to hunt. I love to bird hunt!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page