Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  5:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I have made several items for our home, including a gored skirt with french seams. This turned out great, I sew as a way to bring in a little extra income.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  5:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I found a half apron tutorial in a magazine and it has become my favorite! I keep a drawer dedicated just to aprons in my kitchen and grab one everyday. I feel so fancy when I put an apron on. Even my girls wear aprons in the kitchen.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  5:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I drafted my own full apron pattern after eyeballing my favorite purchased apron. it that bias binding and a pocket! I am really happy with it, it is my go to apron when I need a full apron (like when cleaning our the chicken coop).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  5:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I learned how to knit when I was 16. I have made scarves, hats, and wash clothes. My husband loves the hats, the recipients of the scarves loved the scarves and I love the washcloths.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  5:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I picked up cross stitch to help calm my nerves during a move. That cross stitch is a printed cross stitch and hangs in my sewing room. I am working on a much larger one right now. It is very slow going but I love it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  10:19:40 AM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for completing a beginner Level "Sew Wonderful" Merit Badge!

"This morning, I took a look at the requirements for the beginner Sew Wonderful badge in Stitching and Crafting. Seems pretty simple—put together a beginner’s sewing kit, complete with things like different-colored threads, needles, pins, etc. Sounds like shopping to this girl! Who needs encouragement for a little retail therapy, after all? Not this wannabe farm chick ..."

Earn a beginner Level "Sew Wonderful" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/12308

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  2:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Lori Day (#4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“I researched the different state agencies to include my agency (HHSC) which aids children and families in crisis. I also got involved in the Child Abuse Awareness Day 04/10/2013 in front of the Courthouse. I am very excited with the turn-out on 04/10/2013 and am excited to do more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  3:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I followed a pattern for this but subbed out the material to make it fancy. I think I did okay. I used some material that I had on hand from some fancy bed pillows and then some wedding material. I did give one apron away as a gift. One of the denim aprons that I made in the intermediate step. The were a big hit. I got many compliments on my fancy apron although no one seemed to understand the concept of an apron that you would make and wear and not use for cooking. I found myself doing a lot of explaining when I wore it out but maybe that was the point? I don't know... maybe its like when I wear my dresses to mow the lawn. People just don't get me.

I did have some trouble because the pattern did not say which material was being used where so I did improvise in certain areas. Thus, my apron looks nothing like the pattern. I am happy with the end result though even if I don't plan on using it for cooking just on general house cleaning and going to town as you say.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  3:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I made my son a quilt with material that was given to me. I stayed up most nights until midnight and worked through the days until it was done and put a good 25 hours into it. This is only the third quilt that I have ever made. Most of the rows lined up and there were only a few small errors but I guess that is what makes things home made.

This was all stuff that was cleaned out of a closet so I didn't have to buy a thing which was great. I am very happy with how it came out and so is my son. He has been sleeping with the blanket ever since I finished.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  3:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made myself a new half-apron using up some odd fat quarters & binding tape. The pattern I used was from a special book using fat quarters. I added a pocket with a special button from my button collection. I spent 3 hours, as I had to make the pattern before cutting & sewing. It turned out very pretty, considering the materials were all odd fat quarters. It washes easily too. I'm very pleased with it & have worn it often.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  3:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I decided to make a pin instead of a necklace, as I needed a pin for my new scarf. My daughters made something like this growing up & we shared how much fun it was back then. When I told them I needed a pin to put on my neck scarf, they both told me to make the pin. I love it! And so did other ladies that saw it at church. So easy, perfect for my scarf, and lovely. What more could I want? Nothing. I hope this will pass instead of a necklace.

I gathered some buttons, wooden heart shape, some ribbon & a small flower. I glued everything onto the wooden heart shape. On the back, I glued a pin fastener. I let the whole thing sit to dry & set up. I wore it on my new scarf to church.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  3:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I got all the hubby's sisters, nieces & my own daughters to send me all the family recipes that they make for the family reunions. They all sent me their favorite. I typed, copied and made a scrapbook of all the recipes with family pictures. I love having all the favorite family recipes in one place! Onto the next chapter... making ones for family members!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  4:01:11 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I created another family recipe cookbook from the recipes from my hubby's family. This time I not only scrapbooked it, I saved the pages onto my computer for future times. I then made 4 copies, took them to Staples to have them bound and gave them to my children for Easter.

I loved all the colors, the special memories each time I make the recipes, and especially loved sharing this with my children. Now my oldest grandgirl wants one for herself. (Good thing I saved all of it to my computer!) Fun to make!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  4:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I've sat with my uncle and learned more things about my family. I then shared all the information with my youngest son. He loved learning all the information. I then scanned all my family & my hubby's family pictures that I had for making a scrapbook someday, along with all the information. My son & I spent some time during his vacation visiting here writing all that we could & sharing the pictures. I also found all kinds of obituary clippings with LOTS of family history in each. We then matched up pictures & information.

We are now on our way to find my of our roots. I found out that my son & I have even more to talk about.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  4:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Mary Fitzpatrick (#3232) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“There is a local store that sells cultures and other cheese making supplies. She also sells cultures to make sour cream, yogurt, Keifer grains as well as teaches classes on Cheese Making. I have always known that once I moved to our new hobby farm and I would have access to RAW MILK that I would want to learn how to make all of the above. Now that I am recently retired and settled on our hobby farm... I'm excited to learn all I can and make my own. I first started with yogurt. My first attempt was a disaster.... so I threw it out and tried again. My second attempt was AWESOME. I first started by warming the milk. Slowly bringing the temperature up... checking the temp and once it reached 185 degrees we turned off the heat. Then let the milk cool quickly by placing the warm milk in a ice water bath and drop the temp quickly. once the temperature reaches 85 degrees add in the cultures and place in a big glass jar. I set the jar in my dehydrator and set the temperature to 75 degrees for 12 hours.

It tasted wonderful. I was very surprised and pleased with the texture and taste. Better than store bought. I hope to never have to buy yogurt again... from here on... I am making ours.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  4:19:01 PM  Show Profile
Mary Fitzpatrick (#3232) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“Right after learning how to make yogurt and feeling confident. I grabbed some of my Farmgirl Sisterhood Henhouse members and we signed up to take our first cheese making class. Our first class consisted of teaching us the basics of soft cheeses. I was so nervous, but trusted the process. We used raw cows milk which the instructor said produces the best cheese. We learned the importance of temperature, timing and adding the cultures and cheesemaking salts. We also learned how to flavor the cheeses using variety of spices or herbs. I was hooked. I knew I would want to make our own cheeses and want to learn how to make Hard cheeses.

Our soft cheeses were wonderful. In the first session we made Fromagina ( Cream Cheese), Creme Fraiche, Queso Blanca , Queso Fresco. The Creme cheese was so spreadable and yummy. I loved the process and the product... Next up... Hard cheeses.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  4:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Mary Fitzpatrick (#3232) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I have always wanted to learn how to make farmhouse Cheddar cheese, as well as my own yogurt, sour cream and Keifer... So, I took a class at a local store that teaches Cheesemaking. Actually I took Two, the first one was soft cheese making. It lit my fire, and I rounded up some other Henhouse members and signed up for our first Farmhouse Cheddar Cheese making workshop. It took 6 hours. But we all left with our cheese presses full of Cheddar cheese to take home to babysit, before aging it. I am excited about the possibility of making other cheeses, like gouda, swiss and other gourmet cheeses. I was amazed how easy it is to make cheese... anyone can do it really,Its best to take a class, or if you get a great recipe, follow step by step. Once you learn, there is no stopping you. I use Raw cows milk for my cheese and it has never failed. I intend to make 2 rounds a month now.

Marvelous. I'm addicted to making my own cheese now. Its fun to add things to flavor them, like garlic to make garlic cheddar, or peppers or basil. Its so fun and delicious.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  4:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Terri Wedding (teacups, #5009) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have looked up and went to the local landfills to find out what I can recycle. I found out that we at the recycling centers (we have 4 recycling/household waste centers, but only 1 main landfill, One 24 hour drop off site, eight 24 hour oil and antifreeze sites) we can recycle the following: tin and aluminum cans, glass bottles and jars, plastic bottles and jugs, paper, cardboard, textiles, electronics, scrap metal, cooking oil, motor oil and antifreeze, yard waste (10 bag max), tires (2 free per visit without the rim), and batteries.

You can also take a truck load of yard waste to the landfill for free as well as appliances. There are many area's in the county that do curbside pick up, mine happens to be one of them. We can put cans, glass jars and bottles, and paper in our blue bins. They collect every other week. Our recycle day is on Friday. We generally do not do the curb side pick up because we take it to our local recycle center in large trash cans. I did find out that the plastic bags that go into one can at the center are not recycled. They are taken to household waste dumpster and dumped in. We have a hazardous waste drop off at the landfill the 1st Saturday of every month and we have a Re-use it barn (like a thrift store) you can take unwanted items to.

We have been recycling for years now. We have reduced our household waste to 2 cans of trash every 6 weeks. All other trash we take is recycled. We usually have one large can of recyclables and sometimes a couple smaller blue bins that we take to the center. We try to recycle everything we have. We shred our mail and other papers from the kids and use to put in our chicken nests then it goes into the compost. We use the newspapers to line the nests and I just found out we can make paper logs for burning in a fireplace/stove out of newspapers. We have not tried this yet, but my parents burn wood and this is going to be a project this summer. Otherwise, we take the left over papers to the center. I do not use the shiny inserts in the chicken coop.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:07:09 PM  Show Profile
Diana Boles (Many Feathers, #4980) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I have identified Rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, cilantro and basil. In combination, they can muster up the best spaghetti sauce. They are delicious! I also used the same herbs in a fresh salsa.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Our group, 4 States Farm Sisters, organized a bag swap on 3-12-13. Even though there is only 3 members in this newly formed group, we had a blast. We all shared about how important it is to use reusable bags. I think reusing bags is a great way to help the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Since I live in the country, we are not able to have recycling from our house. I researched the recycling center closest to me. It is about 25 miles away. They accept paper products, plastic and glass jars, aluminum cans, plastic shopping bags, ink and toner cartridges, electronic waste, and batteries. They also have a list of places in the community that will accept things to recycle that they are not able to such as paint, oil, antifreeze, and tires.

Besides offering all of these services, they also offer free compost for anyone that wants it. The recycling center in our community does a great job helping people in our area and the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I sat down with my mom who is 81 years old and talked about our family history. My mother gave me the names of her parents, grandparents and siblings. She was also able to give me the names of my dad's parents, grandparents and siblings since he is no longer living.

I am now working on a list of birth dates and death dates for each of these family members. I am going to create a family history book when done.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker (browneyed girl, #3756) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Badge Merit Badge!

“I've collected six reusable bags and committed to using them for shopping. So far it's worked very well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker (browneyed girl, #3756) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I organized my kitchen and got rid of things I no longer needed or used. I made space for pantry items.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker (browneyed girl, #3756) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I recorded/videotaped an interview with my 86-year old grandmother. I asked questions regarding her childhood, courtship and young married life. My daughter was also present and got to ask questions regarding my grandmothers viewpoint of historical events. It's priceless as shortly afterwards my grandmother suffered a stroke.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page