Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker (browneyed girl, #3756) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I gathered recipes from all members of my family. It was fun to contact everyone and write the recipes down.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I've been making yogurt for several years now, it's delicious and healthy. I always make it in Mason jars. First I simmer the jars, lids and a wooden spoon in water. Fill jars with milk and place in a pot(like you would for water bath canning) and heat the milk to 185 degrees and hold it there for 30 minutes. Then take the jars out and let them cool to 110 degrees, add starter (yogurt from a previous batch) and let it rest for 7 to 10 hours in an empty cooler packed with towels... DO NOT DISTURB the yogurt while it's resting.

It's so much better than store bought. And if you like Greek style yogurt, all you have to do is line a colander with cheese cloth, fill with the finished yogurt and suspend it over a bowl in the refrigerator and let the whey drain off.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  3:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Rosalie Elliott (Farmerette of #4854) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I brought together some of the sewing items I had on into my little "sewing basket" kit. I got some other things besides what was required like a seam ripper, tape measure, embroidery floss, and marking chalk pens. I think those items are also part of an essential's sewing kit.

I have never thought about making a "special sewing kit" before, so I was pleasantly surprised that I actually liked the idea and getting all the stuff together. I now keep them all the items inside a flip-top lid basket that I bought a while ago. I really like having all the items together in a designated place where I know it will be only sewing stuff.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Rosalie Elliott (Farmerette of #4854) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“As required, I hand-stitched and machine stitched two straight seams. In the picture, the piece of fabric on the bottom shows my seams. The stitching on the left is my hand-stitched seam. I used the traditional back-stitch to sew the seam. On the right is my machine stitch; as a seamstress I always "lock" my stitches at the right start and finish when I'm stitching on machine. So that is why I have extra stitching in those places. For my attempt at different type of seams, I did a French Seam, Imitation French Seam, and Flat Fell Seam. In the picture, the top piece of fabric has my different seams. To the far left is my Imitation French Seam, in the middle is my French Seam, and to the far right is my Flat Fell Seam. I did all the seams with machine stitching so I do have the "Lock" stitches at the start and finish of each line of stitching.

When I did the two different types of stitching (hand and machine) I was pleasantly surprised at how straight and even my stitches were when I did the hand-stitching. That feat wasn't as daunting as I thought it was. To me, they both looked pretty good and either one actually would be a good option to go with in my opinion, depending on your patience. When I did the different types of seams, I found out that I actually really liked the look and practicality of the French Seam. Before, I never bothered with even the thought of doing any other type of seam except for the Plain Seam, but this badge made me try something that I wouldn't have normally done by choice. And I was pleasantly surprised at the results of that intervention too. From now on, I may think about doing French Seams on all my seams when I sew. I especially liked how the French Seam encapsulates the fraying edges so nicely and "seam"-lessly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (Forever Young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“Justin Wilson better known as the Cajun Cook influenced me. he spent his life enjoying people and spreading the Cajun culture to others around the world. he was a southern American chef and humorist known for his brand of Cajun cuisine-inspired cooking and humor. After pursuing a career as a safety engineer, Justin traveled up and down the bayous for years telling Cajun stories. He was a humorist who found something funny in almost everything. He did not laugh at his Cajun friends but he laughed with them. His genuine admiration for them shined through in his stage, radio and television series.

I learned about Justin from my parents. They loved watching his cooking show along with his humor. When I would visit we enjoyed his show together. I was influenced by him to have a great interest in the Cajun culture and new Orleans. I posted my information on Across the Fence to share. His cooking series were aired from coast to coast on Public television and world wide on Armed Service television.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Graziani (CindyG, #4735) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I started by organizing the buttons I had on hand: mostly boring extras from purchased garments, but some fun ones from sewing projects. I then added to the collection, taking great advantage on a trip to Berlin OH where I shuttled three Amish friends around on a "Quilt Shop Hop". Buying grab bags or scooping from a bin in that area produced some fabulous finds, which was icing on the cake of a great day with some wonderful ladies.

I'm very pleased with the results. Until I find something similar to my grandma's button tin, I have them stored in a hot pink box. Inside the box are two sections: one for neutrals and one for color, color color and/or fun ones like the little canoe buttons in the photo. It has been really nice picking out the ones that are begging to be put on some kind of project, and coming up with what that project might be. The best part has been reminiscing about the magic of the button collection my grandma had.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Graziani (CindyG, #4735) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I had the basics of a sewing kit thrown in a shoe box, which is practical but not at all pretty. So I took the basics I had, found a sewing box similar to what my grandma had and loaded it up. There was too much empty space, so I consulted friends who sew and got advice on what they consider "essentials", and then started filling up the box. I bought a pin keeper and needle book made by an Amish lady in Ohio - support the local crafters!

My sewing box is now pretty enough to be out on display and within easy reach on an eye-level shelf in the walk-in closet. I added a magnetic pin holder to the mix, and recently learned it doubles as a cat toy so now I have to have it upside-down to hide the pins when it is out of the sewing box. Kinda defeats the usefulness of it, but I can't have a cat eating pins. A great find/suggestion was the "Purple Thang", a multi-tool with one end that's a square corner turner - invaluable! No more poking a stick through a corner.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I have recently grown quite fond of my local extension office! My friend Susan and I are looking forward to next year, when we hope to take the "Master Gardener" course together.

In the meantime, for my beginner badge, I own and have read cover-to-cover, MaryJane's outpost book. I researched online edible plants in our area, and to start, used dandelion greens in salads and stir fry.

Good! They are quite tasty. My dad also reminded me that a dear elderly woman who lived on a ranch in Texas near my dad's farm when I was growing up, used to make all kinds of things with dandelions. It's inspired me, this year, I plan on making some dandelion jam!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“On Sunday, April 30th, my family and I attended "Two Coyotes Newtown Family Fun Day” at Sticks and Stones Farm in Newtown, CT. While there, we took an hour + foraging hike, guided by the camp director, Justin. We learned what native plants are edible (and some which are not). I learned that Day Lilies have bulbs that taste a bit like potato, and are great stir-fried. One can dig them up without harming the plant. We tasted many “weeds” including things like clover, wild Mustard Garlic (which is invasive but I found tasty), and trout lily (which was sweet). He suggested various ways to incorporate natural weeds into salads and stir fries. We learned that younger plants taste better than most mature ones, and how some have medicinal properties, such as using jewelweed for poison ivy. I also learned that Skunk cabbage, though named cabbage, is not edible. To do so, our guide told us, would be like having “thousands of wasps sting your mouth”. No thank you!

The day was great. It was sunny, warm, and everyone was unplugged and happy. I really enjoyed learning something new. Foraging was not something I had ever really done before. I can't wait to make my dandelion jam, and might use some of Justin's suggestions in salad soon!

I think it's important to know what's edible and wild in your area. Hopefully. one is never in the need of having to forage from food, but it’s great knowledge...you just never know when you might need that information!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“Calling me a "knitting addict" doesn't quite cut it. It's become an extension of who I am. My friend called me a "Master Knitter" the other day, when she introduced me to someone new. I was so complimented. Since I last applied for the Intermediate badge in knitting, I have knitted up a storm! In addition to knitting projects along with my students in my knitting classes that I teach, I knitted a ruffled shawl, several drop stitch lacy scarves, and made a size 4T jumper for my niece Kristina in Denmark. Her mom begged me to make it, having fallen in love with some beautiful cotton/wool blend hand dyed sock yarn. We laugh that she is the only Danish person who can't knit! It was very fine yarn, on small needles in the round, with an intricate pattern on the chest. That dress took a year and at least 50+ hours) to complete, but thankfully she still needs to grow into it a bit!

I've taught several classes each semester, passing on everything I can about the art of knitting. This past Saturday, I was asked if I would have a booth at our town's Earth Day celebration. It was flattering to be sponsored, and I had a blast! I bought all-cotton yarn and designed a cute bookmark that could be knitted and taken as a souvenir. I knitted at that booth for eight hours, teaching countless kids, teens, and adults knitting!

It was a wonderful day. I was thankful to be part of such a great community experience, as well as saw several kids light up at the idea that they could knit! I ended up giving out 100 business cards, too!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:50:22 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I did four acrylic paintings on canvas and then I also went to the Walters Cultural Art center to look around for this level.

I think the paintings came out alright. My kids were very impressed. My goal was to try a few different styles of painting and that worked. It tested me because I wasn't familiar with them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“For this level I posted in the chatroom. I continued to learn new words with complete spelling for two weeks and I read Woe is I by Patricia O'Conner. I also started the next book by Lynne Truss. Like I said previously, I believe that this is serving as a nice refresher course that would serve us all well. I, for one, greatly appreciate it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  4:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“We went on a family camp out for this last level. We went to the coast and did a few hikes, built a fort, had a pic-nic on the beach and then went into town for a new project. We took the kids to learn about glass fusing. Each of the kids got to make a project to bring home. They learned how to cut glass and fire it in the kiln. We also came up with a few other ways that we could spend our weekends doing something we haven't done before. We often go out and do something as a group so finding something new was a challenge.

This was a lot of fun. The kids had a great time and it was great for me to see them learning and using their creativity. Their items are still being fired but soon will be mailed to us. We can't wait to have the finished items home with us to show off.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  5:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Maritza Tribble (mtribble, #5099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I currently own 27 chickens, 1 duck, 2 piggies, and soon to have broiler chickens and turkeys. I feed all organic layer pellets, they free range over 2 acres. I sprout barley, oats, and black oil sunflower seeds to serve to them as scratch. I thoroughly enjoy my chickens. They are such social animals. My girls come when called and will follow me around the farm.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  5:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya (EastTXFarmgirl, #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“The Spanish culture is quickly becoming more prominent in my area. Communication is very trying at times. I'm a nurse and decided to learn some of the language to help me care for this population more effectively. I purchased the Spanish version of Rossetta Stone to assist me.

The language program is wonderful and I also have many co-workers that are Spanish speaking that have chipped in. I still can't roll my r but I can count and say a few key phrases.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  5:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I learned how to sharpen our kitchen knives. My husband hunts and fishes. He has a variety of knives that he sharpens and uses. I asked and he taught me how to sharpen the knives. Its usually what he does with our knives so he was glad to show me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  5:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Maloney (#4889) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-At-Arms Merit Badge!

“I found a Hunter Safety course and signed the entire family up. and we went. I learned to respect the gun when loading it. Always point the gun in a safe direction, be sure of my target before I shoot, never put a loaded gun in a automobile, respect land owners property. and be considerate to others...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  5:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Nemnich (HolidayJunkie, #5004) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“This weekend, I went through my lid drawer and my cabinet where I store all my bowls and toss any that didn't match up. Luckily, this is something I try to do 2x a year, so it was a pretty easy task. I try not to keep a lot of mismatched bowls, so sets work best for me and that makes it easy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  5:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Lora Rosencrans (FARMALLchick, #358) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“Having been involved with horses all most all of my life, I recently got called upon to help with animal rescues. The first horse I rescued was let go because the previous owner could no longer care for him. His name is Amigo and he's a coming 2 year old paint racking horse. The second instance was just a couple of weeks ago, we (my husband and I) were called to assist with an emergency rescue near our home. This one consisted of approximately 30 animals that were still alive. We hauled 5 miniature horses, 2 ponies and a llama to a foster farm. We unloaded those, loaded up 2 horses from a previous rescue and relocated to another foster farm - all during severe weather that moved through the area. Last week we were called to move a previously rescued horse from a foster farm to a new owner in Danville, Illinois. We received 2 donations for fuel costs.

We have also been approved to adopt one of the minis that we rescued. We are currently working on Amigos manners and training. He is doing great.

We should be picking up the mini this weekend and bringing her home. We have also put in an application to be a foster home for rescued animals - so really this has no ending!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  4:14:52 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Belker (#5093) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I sorted through all of my glass storage containers and tossed a few and added one -- a large, covered, glass batter bowl for storing larger amounts in the fridge (and mixing things in!).

I now have the amount of storage containers that is adequate, but can all get used, too. This makes me feel like a sleek, yet full, container maven.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  4:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I earned my badge by going green in my laundry room, bathroom, and kitchen. I pledge to use only green products. I researched the internet and found many recipes for cleaners and started a journal of green ideas and recipes. I shared it with my daughter-in-law who is also interested in going green. My journal is increasing as I find more ideas, and the cleaners are working just great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  4:29:00 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I earned my badge by researching for homemade organic cleaners and found lemon will make floors shine, vinegar and baking soda to clean sinks and vinegar and water to clean windows. Using these products worked out really well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  4:32:09 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Our chapter Four State Farm Sisters had a reusable bag swap on 3-12-2013 with two other members we talked about the importance of going green and using reusable bags instead of plastic. We had a great time good snacks and the bags will be well used.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  4:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Emboirdery Merit Badge!

“For this level I did a set of pillowcases. I picked a pattern I liked and followed changing only the color scheme. I really like the way they came out. I can't wait to wash them and get them on the bed. Soon I'll have a set of just about everything to put in the RV :). hmmm, maybe I'll do curtains next.

I went back and did the vitamin ball guys. Working nonstop this seemed to consume me. I made towels for them to go on as well. It feels good to have it all done. I think they came together just fine. They will make a good gift”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  4:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Schrader (#4109) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I started by checking for leaks in my house. Researched simple ways to conserve water. Wash vegetables in a bowl of water, then water my house plants. Wash full loads of laundry instead of several small loads. Taking shorter showers. Rain water to water my garden. I can tell that there is a difference already.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page