Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Karen Stoll (beyondthe3rs, #4828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner level Recycling badge!

“We have both curbside and recycling centers in our city.

Curbside recycling runs every other week. Items accepted are: aluminum cans, cardboard, mixed paper, newspaper, plastics #1-7, and steel cans (rinsed)

There are several recycling centers throughout the city as well. They accept everything that the curbside recycling accepts with these additions: batteries, electronics, florescent bulbs, glass, cooking oil, and crankcase oil.

We already use the curbside recycling, but I didn't realize that more items are accepted at the recycling centers. I also found that I shouldn't be putting my glass jars in the curbside containers!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  12:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Karen Stoll (beyondthe3rs, #4828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate level Recycling badge!

“This one wasn't hard because we already utilize the curbside recycling program at our house. We moved in January 2012 and started using the program right away. We have a small bin in the kitchen where we place all our recyclables. Once it is full, we take it outside to the curbside container where it is picked up every other week.

We actually love the curbside recycling program. It keeps our trash cans from filling too quickly as well as helping the environment. The only problem comes when we miss the pickup day and the can is filled to the gills!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  12:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Expert level 3 R's (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge!

“We recycled a rusted out water trough, into a planter.

The new planter is where I plant and grow sunflowers. We have also recycled old tires, by using them for toys for the goats, and one to keep the horse from knocking over her water bucket. Last summer I also used chipped dinner plates to add a bit of decor to my flower garden.

We, as a family, do clean up trash along the 2-lane highway we live on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner level First Aid badge!

“We have first aid kits in both bathrooms, and one for camping or traveling. We also replaced our existing smoke alarms with brand new ones, checked batteries, and checked dates on our fire extinguishers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner level Recycling badge!

“We collected brochures on what our local recycling centers accept. We do not have curb pick up, so most of what we recycle is driven into recycling centers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:18:31 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate level Recycling badge!

“We set up containers in our garage to collect items we can recycle. Plastic bags from cheese cannot be recycled here, so I collect certain ones, and mail them in, using a program that gives our local school money. We try not to buy items that come in containers/bags that we cannot recycle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert level Recycling badge!

“Our family has been recycling for several years now. I have shared the program, that recycles certain items, and give cash to local schools, with other farmgirls. I have bins at our local school where more cheese bags are collected, mailed in, and recycled into other items. My mother recycles, using curb side collection bins, as well as one of my brothers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I have researched Spain, and it's culture. Even the music. I can speak Spanish fairly well, can count to 100, and now many phrases. I have also taught my kids, as a young age, to count to 10 using the Indian language.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“When I first started growing herbs, I learned to identify them by smell and by looking at them. The first herbs I grew were, spearmint, basil, oregano, thyme, and chives. I have been growing herb gardens for over 14 years now.

I dry my herbs on a homemade drying rack, other than chamomile, which cannot be dried upside down.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  2:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Each year we add new herbs to our herb gardens. Last season we added medicinal herbs.

We grow, green onion, thyme, oregano, parsley, coriander, rosemary, tarragon, marjoram, chives, lemon balm, chamomile, comfrey, and more.

Last school year, I gifted school teachers with dried rosemary, and added a recipe for our favorite roasted rosemary potatoes. I also barter my herbs, and gift them each year.

This season I hope to grow cumin successfully, and add more to the medicinal garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have researched stress, the causes and effects. I do deep breathing regularly. It is also good to lower blood pressure.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  4:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I am blessed to live in a County that has a wonderful recycling center. It was fairly recently redone to where it now has a covered area you can drive under and local inmates on a work program help you unload your garbage or recyclables.

When I first moved here, you had to separate everything out, but now all recyclables go into one big trash compactor where it is separated out later.

We also are able to recycle all numbers of plastic, from 1-7, so that makes it a lot easier for all of us. I did find out that toilet paper, paper towel and gift wrap rolls should not be put into the recycling bin for whatever reason. Also there should be no food residue on anything like pizza boxes. Rinsing out stuff is all that is required. I've been recycling for years!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  4:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Here is my recycling system that I set up in my garage. I had just made a trip to take a load so there is not much in it right now. It's usually full of cans, bottles, plastic (though not very much because I don't use it very often,) etc.

Do you notice anything familiar in it? I had just fixed one of MaryJane's organic backpacking kits for dinner, so it's rinsed out and ready for recycling.

The newspapers and office papers stay in a stack indoors until I am ready to take them, at which time I put them into one of my reusable bags to take.

Food wastes are recyclable too and I compost as much as I can. Therefore, it usually takes me 4-6 weeks to have enough garbage saved up to take to the dump. We have to pay 50 cents per bag, so that's extra incentive for me to recycle what I can.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  4:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Since I am very passionate about recycling, I have been doing it for years. However, a new thing that I have started doing is recycling food, or composting. I have two worm bins now so believe me when I say nothing gets wasted in this house.

If fruits or veggies go bad, it's no problem because they go straight to the worm bins or compost pile.

Finally I got my next door neighbor to compost too. She brings it up to my house! It's a win/win situation because I get more stuff to compost and she will get great compost for her garden pretty soon.

I don't use a fancy schmancy compost pail. Mine is just a quart size yogurt container with a zip lock bag over it that sits on my kitchen counter. If you leave it open and hanging over the edge of the counter a bit, any fruit flies that show up will go underneath and into the pile. Then you can grab the bag shut and usher them outside.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  4:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts(Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I've been making my own yogurt for many years now, but this summer I was finally able to get a source for raw goat's milk again. I use goat's milk yogurt, which I get at Whole Foods, as my starter, simply because it is easier.

Using the starter culture in a capsule is a method I have tried before too, but I never had great success with that. So I just use the goat's milk yogurt that I buy to get it going and at least it is the same type of milk.

It's best to use it even with cow's milk because it hasn't been homogenized. Goat's milk naturally blends itself together which is a real blessing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts(Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“On July 25, 2012, I took a class on cheese making, which was loads of fun and very informative. Plus, the cheese was pretty good too!

I learned what rennet is and how to use it in making cheese. Most importantly, I learned to never pour it down a drain if you have a septic tank. It will make cheese in there too and that's not something you want to have happen.

We made all kinds of recipes with cheeses, but the two types of cheese we made were chevre and feta. We also made yogurt and kefir in the class, all with wonderful fresh goat's milk.

The best part of the class is that we got to eat all of these wonderful goodies after making them. That's my kind of class to go to.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  3:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have started recycling : aluminium cans. I give these to my son to sell. All glass bottles & jars. Magazines, newspapers. I set up separate containers to hold these in the shop. I also pull off pop tops to save for an organization. When it's time to take things to the recycle center, I transfer them to separate boxes for easier handling.

This is really working well for me, When i get a new computer I also will look up a recycle place for electronics. I also decided that any old clothes not good enough for the thrift store to clip off buttons, lace, etc. save what fabric I can reuse for crafting or rags.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  3:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Intermediate Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I have been added elements to my own scrapbooks, such as crocheting small items using #10 crochet thread, embroidery, and fabric.

I created a scrapbook to give to my husband. I know the badge suggested giving one to a "younger" person, but I have 6 kids to choose from. So, I created a memory album of our most happiest times together (hubby and I), taking weekend getaways.

The most memorable weekend for us, was going to an island on the lake. It was so relaxing that I placed a caption on the cover photo "Is it Island Time?"

Inside the album, I have photos of our trips together. I have placed them in a photo album, that has a space to write small stories as well. In some of the photo sections, I have cut card stock, and created a small memory of those trips, using items from the trips. For one I used very tiny shells, a receipt from a memorable meal, and a shopping bag label with the island's name.

I left room for hubby to write about some of the photos, and will add to this album as we continue to take time for our marriage.

I have shared this with Farmgirl sisters, and a bit of it on my blog.

I have also borrowed the book "Saving Stuff" and read the required chapters. I will continue to preserve family photos and memories.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  3:45:24 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“We installed a compost bin 2-3 years ago. I have been surprised at how much space we still have in it, considering we use it every day. Our goats receive most of what we would compost, so we have less to add to it now. However, I have been suggesting this to many folks I talk with.

My mother, who lives in the city, now takes her cuttings to the city recycling center, where certain items can be composted.

I have written letters to our local recycling centers, suggesting that they take in more of a variety.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  4:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Five herbs that I know of and use most often are rosemary, which is great on chicken, mint, wonderful in teas, and basil, thyme and oregano, which I use in my raw spaghetti sauce. I have also used sage in a great sausage recipe which gave it an awesome flavor. Fresh herbs can really perk up a dish and make people think you are a gourmet chef.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“After I took the Master Gardening class, I started an herb garden. Before that, the only herb I had ever grown was basil, my favorite. I grew herbs in a round half whiskey barrel both in 2011 and in 2012.

In this picture, I am growing rosemary, basil, parsley and thyme. In other containers I have grown sage and oregano as well. I make a great raw spaghetti sauce that uses thyme, oregano and basil. I also make a tomato basil soup that is delicious either raw or heated. I love growing herbs!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  4:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“In addition to growing herbs outdoors during Spring and Summer, I also grow them indoors during the Winter so that I can have fresh herbs for cooking any time I want them. Indoors, I grow chives, parsley, mint, thyme, oregano and dill hydroponically in an Aerogarden.

Last year for Christmas, by happenstance, I dried several herbs that I had an abundance of, and gave them to the six members of Brian's family, along with several recipes on how to use them in raw foods, which they are not familiar with. I hope they actually used them. They are all gardeners themselves so I'm aware that they know how to use herbs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  4:39:25 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Stress is a major contributor to many chronic illnesses, such as high blood pressure, depression, and, in my personal case, thyroid disease. I knew that I needed to do something to help me relax and calm myself down more.

The first thing I did was resolve to turn my computer off at least an hour before going to bed each night. The lights from it keep your body from making melatonin, which aids in sleep.

In August of 2012, I started following a program called "The Healing Code," which takes a total of six minutes a day. It was greatly relaxing for me and I did it every evening before going to bed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  4:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Starting December 14, 2012, I switched to using the "Immune System Master Key" every evening before I went to bed. This involves listening to a recording of binaural beats overlaid with sounds of a stream running, the ocean, or rain falling. The recordings last 20 minutes each.

I listened to these for more than two weeks and found that they relaxed me so much that I almost couldn't finish the 20 minutes. I would be practically falling out of my chair asleep, so it was definitely relaxing me! I was able to fall asleep so easily every night, which has been a great blessing to someone who has suffered from insomnia for most of her life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  4:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“As of the first part of January, 2013, I took the training for "The Immune System Master Key Advanced." This class taught me to use a tri-tone to listen to each night and the time could be cut to just 10 minutes a day because it is so much more powerful.

I have kept a log of the days I have done this (which as been over 40 now) with the results achieved. The tri-tone goes from alpha to beta to delta waves and back again, so it is quite amazing. Again I have been extremely relaxed each night and can easily fall asleep, so I plan to keep it up if I possibly can.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page