Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  10:49:13 AM  Show Profile
April Choate, (Sonshine4u #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Two years ago I planted 50% of my garden in heirloom varieties. I got a lot of my seeds from Bakers Creek and some from a local nursery. I also checked out the book Gardening With Heirloom Seeds. While I didn't read it word for word, I did enjoy some of the passages. It was a tough book I thought to just sit down and read.

It was a rough year for my tomatoes and my cucumbers. The previous year I did much better with the same varieties. The beans and peas did great, when the rabbits weren't eating them at my "salad bar." My favorite success of the summer was the musk melon called Kansas. I had one beautiful one on my trellis. It was so delicious!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  10:50:01 AM  Show Profile
April Choate, (Sonshine4u #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I went online and researched grass-fed beef vs. conventional. I also have watched several documentaries about the horrors of conventional cattle on the feedlot. I am appalled at the system that has become the norm for these poor creatures that were never meant to eat grains. I grew up on a farm where all the cows roamed free in pasture. I had no idea that a lot of those end up in a feedlot where they are "fattened" or "finished" with corn/grains and then butchered.

This definitely made me very careful in choosing my meats."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  10:50:41 AM  Show Profile
April Choate, (Sonshine4u #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read a lot of the book (Beef: The untold Story of How Milk, Meat and Muscle Shaped the World). I didn't get it finished before I had to return it to the library. A lot of it was not new to me, as I've been reading a lot about it elsewhere and seeing loads of documentaries about our food.
The spring of 2010 I was told about a fairly local rancher that was selling grass-fed beef from another farmgirl.

We ended up getting some local beef and haven't gone back to the grocery store."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  10:51:17 AM  Show Profile
April Choate, (Sonshine4u #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level What's Your Beef? badge.

"After we were introduced to the local rancher, we bought a 1/4 cow from him and he showed us his ranch and took us to where the cow got processed. My son was amazed in the meat locker at the size of the tongues from the cows. It was a great experience. I told all my farmgirls about our great experience and several of them became customers of him as well.

We bought another 1/4 from him later and now that we've moved. We have a new local farmer that we get our beef from."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile
April Choate, (Sonshine4u #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"My girls and I love looking at horses when we drive. We see so many on all our adventures. I don't know that I have a favorite, but I've always been drawn to the Mustangs. This past summer my kids got to take riding lessons on a nice old Arabian. One of the days I got to do a short lesson too. It was super fun!

I not only got to see horses, but I got to ride one! It was a wonderful experience! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  11:53:15 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"This project was lots of fun for me to do. I had never tried Scrapbooking before and found it to be really interesting.

I'm a Master Gardener and had volunteered at a garden called Cedar Hill near me. I was there one time when Kat, the director, brought out a photograph book of the history of the place.

The book was literally falling apart, with the pages torn at the edges of the binder. The pictures were in glue pages that had yellowed from age.

Kat mentioned that she needed to redo it, and I said that I would. I found a scrap book on sale at Michaels that had flowers on the front and off I went.

Our chapter had a lot of equipment already, so I didn't have to buy anything more to do it.

Kat was delighted when she got it, just in time for an Open House they're having. Even though she knew about it, it was quite a surprise for her when she saw it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  11:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"For this badge, I decided to make quilted potholders out of some cute material scraps that were given to our chapter. They just epitomized Farmgirls, in my opinion, and I think they turned out very well.

Adding the backing was more challenging than I thought it would be, but I eventually got it in. A bigger project would have made that easier.

I made nine of the potholders and spent way more than three hours doing this. On the first one, I used a polyester knit for the back, and someone mentioned that it should be cotton so it wouldn't melt.

I used unbleached cotton muslin for all the rest of them and will keep the polyester one for myself and just be careful with it. The rest will be Christmas presents for later this year. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  11:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I finally came up with a design for a clothes pin holder using a Farmgirl inspired material. It took way over 20 hours to do and turned out very differently from what I had originally envisioned.

Actually, it kind of evolved and I got input for it from several of the girls in our local chapter.

I spent at least five hours quilting this in the company of the crew. I put the batting on the back by ironing it on, which was much easier. It also became the lining and I didn't have to do anything else to the inside.

I think it turned out very well. I have used it a number of times when I put the clothes out on the line to dry and when I put plastic and and old coverlet over my garden during cold weather."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"Our local chapter of the Georgia Farmgirls' meeting this month was on the Farmgirl Spirit. We all dressed up as our idea of what the Farmgirl spirit meant to us individually, so there were lots of aprons involved.

We all brought food to eat (can't have a party without food!) and chowed down. Then we went around the room and everyone spoke on how they found the Farmgirls.

It was a fun and interesting way to get to know our fellow Farmgirls better and one member, Paula, brought her collection of vintage aprons to show. She generously gave away one to each of us, so we all have mementos of the day.

She wisely decided to just keep pictures of each of us with the aprons, because they had been sitting stored away in a bag for years. Things are meant to be used, and all of us will enjoy them. Here's a picture of us."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"A few days before and after Oct. 25, 2011, I and several other people helped a neighbor of ours move to our road because his house was being foreclosed. We moved stuff after boxing everything up, and I actually spent over 40 hours helping him.

I brought some food over during the moving process and helped him get settled into the new place afterward. It was difficult because he had to be out by the 25th, so we had a deadline.

After he got settled in, I gave him a copy of the prices for grass-fed, grass-finished beef, Heritage pork, raw milk and free-range eggs from a USDA certified farm close to us. Because he was fairly local already, he did not need phone numbers.

He has tried the products from the farm, but says he doesn't have time to go buy from it. That's a shame, but it is his loss."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  12:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"Mary Ann Witcher and I attended an Expo in November, she representing the Georgia Farmgirls and I debuting my newly finished book, "Alive Health Recipe Book - Healthy Eating On The Run." Since we were side by side, I was talking about the Farmgirls because I had gotten a badge for the book.

We showed the different projects that we were all working on, from crocheted hats, and felted purses, to knitted scarves and handmade jewelry. And, of course, my book. We had brochures and information about the chapter, which we handed out, and had the "What's a Farmgirl?" cards at our latest meeting.

It's always more fun when we do things together as a group."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  12:53:06 PM  Show Profile
Autumn Day, (Autumn_Day #3964) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I researched green, all-natural, DIY cleaners. I found great recipes for cleaning bath tubs, burnt pans, upholstry, laundry, and for polishing wood.

I have been trying to get chemical cleaners out of my home for awhile. But finding effective replacements is difficult and they are often very expensive. These recipes utilized indregients I already had around my home and were simple, effective, and inexpensive."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  12:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Autumn Day, (Autumn_Day #3964) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I went to www.eatwild.com and read about the health, environmental, and farmer benefits of grass-fed beef as compared to that which is commercially raised. I took notes and wrote down my opinions after having reviewed the website.

I'm a vegetarian so beef isn't a huge concern for me. However, my family eats meat and I would like to provide the best possible products to them. I appreciate the opportunity to educate myself on a subject that I otherwise would not have paid too much attention to."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Christine Jones, (OakRoseMama #4010) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Started my first backyard chicken flock. I purchased 4 pullets, destined to provide my family with plenty of eggs: 2 buff orpingtons, 1 silver laced wyandotte and 1 plymouth rock barred. I renovated a chicken coop (painted it, added roosts, etc) and raised the chicks in a brooder in the garage. They are strong and happy and ready to go outside this weekend! Besides their starter chick feed and grit they've also been getting veggie leftovers from our garden (organic).

I'm not sure how it will turn out since they are so young, but raising the chicks turned out great. I'm not sure what a "finish" date would be on a chicken flock, since they are layers and I'm sure we'll have them for awhile. I am happy that they all seem to be healthy and all are girls since we we're not ready for a rooster! It's been a great learning experience for me and I'm surprised at how much like pets the chickens are turning out to be. We've named them Penelope, Rosie, Petunia and Clementine. So far my daughter has learned a lot about being gentle, feeding and watering the chicks, and how they scratch and eat. I can't wait until we get our first eggs :) For many more pictures of the coop and the baby chicks growing up, see my blog: www.oakrosemama.blogspot.com "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  12:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth, (dandelionhouse #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Last year we remodeled our kitchen! I took the opportunity to clear out all kitchen clutter and over the last year I have replaced broken and inefficient appliances, utensils and storage containers.

It turned out great! It's such a pleasure to " work " in a proper kitchen. I took things one step further and also gave a TV armoire an up-do! I painted it farmgirl Red and now it's my Farm Pantry!
Everything is stored in glass jars or vintage ball jars, labeled and stored on open shelves for easy access! The whole family loves it! No more bending over for chips and crackers, and I can find ingredients for baking and cooking with ease!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Joan Nordquist, (Simple Living #3842) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"My daughters and I have been eating as much organic certified products as we can find. My DH never wants to change up on any foods, but I purchased all organic veggies with organic salad dressing and didn't tell him.

I made a salad for him with these ingredients and he loved it. So now that is all he wants in his salad, all organic!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Trisha Sides, (Trisha #3993) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I officially learned to crochet when I was 10, but only recently took it back up. For the badge I made a newsboy cap that took me about 5 hrs.

I also taught my son to make simple chain "friendship bracelets"

Great! It was pretty easy, but more importantly - it fits!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak, (DiDi #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I have knitted a scarf that was far more challenging than my beginner-level scarf because, unlike my beginner scarf, this one was knitted sideways. Instead of casting on 30 stitches and knitting until the scarf was the desired length, I had to cast on 168 stitches and knit to the desired width. I used circular needles for the first time and was shocked to realize I was knitting without end - an infinity loop - so I had to undo the 168 stitches and the first few rows of knitting, and start over again. I also had to switch between two different colors, which is something else I've never done before.

I love this pattern! I think the scarf is gorgeous and the stripes add so much detail. I started another scarf using this pattern with a purple, lavender, white and grey varegated yarn, which will have black stripes (to go with a black coat). I think I will be making this scarf pattern a lot - I'm getting great reactions to the red and white scarf (my niece already called dibs on it), and I can use any number of color combinations for scarves to give as gifts to family and friends. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:56:25 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Organic on a Budget badge.

"We have really watched our grocery spending, and utilized a "budget" mix as well.

Although we grow a garden each year, and grow it organically, we buy organic fruits and vegetables during the other seasons (unless we have dried, frozen or canned it). Last year we planted a peach and plum tree for ourselves. This year I'd like to add apple trees, more blueberry bushes and other fruits. We do take advantage of wild black raspberries on our own property as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"My husband and I no longer have children at home but we do have three grandchildren ages 13, 9,and 5. They spend a lot of time with us, but not always on the same weekends. This took us a little longer than 2 months because we can't designate 1 night a week to the project. Also we did not tell the kids that we were turning off the TV. However we did ask them to leave their electronic devices at home.

On New Year's Eve Our 13 year old granddaughter spent 2 nights and 3 days with us. She was so excited about learning to embroidery that we forgot to watch the Ball fall at midnight. The weekend was also spent stamping cards, cooking meals together, baking treats, and reading.

From January 14 - 20. Papa and I traveled to the home of our 9 and 5 year old grands while their parents traveled. They were in school during the day, but evenings were fun. On Sunday we spent several hours playing in the snow and making hot chocolate. On Monday one had dance class and the other played with his toys, building lots of equipment out of legos. Tuesday was soup and game night, Wednesday was hot dish and crafts night, and Thursday was burger and rollerskating night. On Friday school was closed due to a snowstorm. We almost turned the tv on, but the kids wanted to bake cookies and play board games.

On March 3rd we traveled by tour bus to an Owl Festival. What a wonderful day spent with all three of the grands! The kids learned a lot about owls, their habitat, the noises they make and why, what they eat and on and on. They made owl crafts, ate owl shaped foods, and a lot more. No tv for us when we are having this much fun! I am not sending pictures as I am not comfortable putting the youngsters pic out there in cyberspace.

I feel that this quality time spent together went well. My husband did have the tv on a few times to watch the news and weather, but the kids ignored it. I am now looking forward to the summer months when we can be outside in the gardens or maybe even reinvent fishing if their Dads can help bait hooks and clean the catch."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:43:30 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"On February 20th and 27th I took a basic photography class. I learned that f-stop is the amount of light coming into your lens while shutter speed in the timing of the amount of light coming in. We also talked about depth of field, rule-of-thirds, how to improve clarity when taking photos and how to take pics in gyms and barns. Did you know that your flash flattens your photo? We also talked about taking pics of wildlife, people, and pets. I didn't know that taking pics when sky is overcast gives you better pics than sunlight which throws shadows. We were given a week to take pictures using what we had learned and on the second night we critiqued our work and the work of others. This was very interesting and I was surprised at the different cameras and talents other class members had.

I am now more determined that ever to purchase a more advanced camera than I am now using. A fully automatic camera takes good pics, but I can't get close enough to my subject matter to photograph what I want. Last weekend I was at a parade and couldn't get shot of the horses that I wanted. I want great zoom lenses. I have set a budget and am shopping !"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Kristen Brockmeyer, (Hepkitten #3858) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I completed both of the tasks and blogged them here:

www.farmgirlsister.blogspot.com/2012/03/stitching-and-crafting-embroidery-1.html
www.farmgirlsister.blogspot.com/2012/03/stitching-and-crafting-embroidery-2.html

For the first task, I embroidered my Farmgirl Sisterhood membership badge, and for the second, I completed a neat, vintage-style free sampler pattern I found online.

The writing on the Sisterhood badge came out a little fuzzy at the end, but the coolness of my hen completely made up for it. I think I improved on my second task, and was very happy with how my bird sampler came out. I'm so glad I finally mastered the french knot! And on a related note: yay, I don't stink at embroidery!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:10:46 AM  Show Profile
Makayla McCausey, (farmerette of Renee McCausey #845) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made a heavy winter scarf using Lion Brand Yarn. The color is mixed quartze(red, purple, blue and green). I used double crochet to make it. I have helped some of my siblings in their crochet projects.

It came out nicely. The heavy yarn made the scarf nice and warm on cold days. At each end of the scarf there are long tassels."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Lois Gray, (#1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"I went around my house and tightened up all the faucets. We really didn't have any problems with that. Secondly I made a list of ways we as a family could save water. I gave the kids a reminder card in their bathroom for not leaving the sink running when brushing. Outside we put a bucket under the spigot so that we save the drips when the hose is on and can use the collected water elsewhere.

So far so good!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Lois Gray, (#1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Greatest Generation badge.

"I went to an elderly man from church's farm at 5:00am each morning in Jan. We had breakfast and walked the 1 mile perimeter of his farm checking coyote traps. He had wonderful stories to share about farming, marriage, raising children, losing children and life. This was a priceless opportunity.
Thanks!!!

It was wonderful! I have never felt so connected to life! I learned that you just have to get through this day, tomorrow will have its own trials and rewards!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page