Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile
Lois Gray, (#1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I learned to dry basil and rosemary then used it to make pizza sauce.
My daughter and I made apple pie filling and canned 8 quarts of apples. My son and I seasoned and cured 1lb of deer jerky! We also dried strawberries and pineapples and bananas!

It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed spending time and teaching my children to live from things they have around the house. We will continue to use these methods."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Trisha Sides, (Trisha #3993) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have a button tin inherited from my mother - and this jar is my own - ALL found and not bought.

It's an ever increasing addiction :D "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Jo Ann Mitchell, (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have obtained more than 30 reusable shopping bags and use them for every shopping trip. As an extra green move, I request that a receipt not be printed whenever possible. Every little green move counts.

I keep a thin material bag in the front zipper of my purse, so I never forget to bring a bag. Since I began this I have found it easy to refuse to use their grocery bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:55:44 AM  Show Profile
Jo Ann Mitchell, (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I took the entire weekend off from the world. No TV, phone, or any electronic gadget. I cooked on my one burner propane stove outdoors. I knit and watched nature around me.

It was wonderful to just be. No interruptions, no electronics. I loved it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Jo Ann Mitchell, (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"Exchanged canned pasta sauce for organic homemade pasta sauce, I even grew the tomatoes organically in my back yard.

I love the recipe I created for this pasta sauce. I am glad that my sauce does not have the chemicals that the store bought brand has. My recipe actually tastes better."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:57:30 AM  Show Profile
Jo Ann Mitchell, (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I learned to knit and spent over three hours making a scarf for my mother. I taught my mother the basics of knitting and set her up with the tools she needs to continue.

I enjoyed giving a hand made scarf to my mother for Christmas. It was harder trying to teach her to knit. We had fun laughing at ourselves."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Jo Ann Mitchell, (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I continued my knitting journey by learning to knit socks. I spent more than 5 hours knitting with a friend and more than 20 hours making these socks. I learned to turn a heel, how to do the Kirchner stitch, and how to knit on double pointed needles.

This was the funnest project in knitting yet. The socks are so comfortable that my teenage daughter wants me to replace all her socks with home made socks."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:50:14 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Witko, (Annielaurel, #2301) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I am keeping a gratitude journal writing in it daily. I write down things I am grateful for and why I am grateful for them. Things like my family, my senses, my home, foods I am able to eat, things that I have, places I can go, etc.

I have learned to appreciate more the simple and little things. I have had to search myself to find the more valuable things to be grateful for like fresh air and clean water because so many people don't have these things. The book is really great reading and I am enjoying it very much."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a dog coat for one of our dogs, using fleece, and made hot pads using scrap material.

I have been wanting to practice patterns with cross stitch embroidery, so I used a flower pattern on the hot pad.

I enjoyed both of these sewing projects. I am using my Mother's old sewing machine."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:55:10 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth, (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"Well, I came to earning this merit badge in reverse! I've been blogging for almost three years at Deborah Jeans' Dandelion House. Dandelion House is my name for our home which is painted yellow and has loads of dandelion's in the front lawn every spring! Deborah Jean is what my mom used to call me when she wanted to get my attention growing up! My tagline is " creative seeds for your homemaking hands, heart and soul. I started out blogging about all things I love and I still do that today, but I must admit it's so much more fun now that I have a "community " to share it with! Blogging has truly enriched my life!
I just finished reading Blogging for Bliss!

I found this book it to be very inspiring and validating! When I began blogging I felt as if it was a " guilty " pleasure... But, I've embraced blogging to the fullest and enjoy each and every aspect of it. I loved reading about how many bloggers started blogging with out a real focus in the beginning and how they were inspired ( and encouraged ) by other more established bloggers. This book gave me a new blogging fire in my belly to continue on with something I love and to strive for better images and more ways to connect with my readers. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:56:13 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth, (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Blogging badge.

"Once I chose my name " Deborah Jeans's DANDELION HOUSE " I explored different hosts. I chose blogger because it was fast, free and simple to use. I recently added my blog to www.girlgab.com too! Such a great idea for the sisterhood to get to know each-other through their blogs!

I love blogging, connecting with kindred sprits across the world and meeting new sister bloggers on www.girlgab.com too!
I've uploaded an image that I have shared on my blog!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth, (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Blogging badge.

"After blogging for almost three years I've learned how to add photos, edit them in Photoshop and customize my blog as well as create my own blog buttons for various blog hops and linky parties.

I just love the creative aspect of blogging. I don't have a strong desire to learn to read HTML codes but I do love knowing how to edit images, create blog buttons and add text to an image, create a collage in picasa web gallery or edit, crop and play with colors. I also am inspired to get to know my camera a little better. It is a Nikon D70 digital SLR. I've been researching new lenses for closer, clearer shots! I set quarterly goals for my blog. First and foremost, I blog about what I know and love and I share what inspired me. I also enjoy featuring other bloggers from time to time. This year I took the leap and jumped into inviting sponsors to my blog which has been great fun and has allowed me to share great info and offer giveaways to my readers. It's true, it does take a while to build a network, but mine is finally beginning to " feel " like a community and a fellowship! One of my favorite things on my blog is the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop I created in celebration of being asked to be MJF Beach farmgirl blogger! I wanted a fun way to connect the two writing spaces. Each week we have anywhere between 50 - 90 participants, many are sisters and some have joined the sisterhood because they learned about it on my blog! I always try to include a link or some news about MJF in my Farmgirl Friday post! Writing my blog has inspired me to write more. I even have a few book ideas brewing! How has it turned out? I'd say just wonderful! I included an image I posted on my blog for a Country Breakfast!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  1:27:48 PM  Show Profile
April Choate, (Sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I hosted our March River Valley Farmgirl meeting and spoke about why we should use our reusable bags. I read some statistics from online about the oil use just from plastic bags. 1.6 billion gallons of oil, according to a statistics class in Indiana. Scary! Also, here is a fact page with a ton more info about plastic bag use: http://www.reuseit.com/learn-more/top-facts/plastic-bag-facts

We also made t-shirt bags from this pattern here: http://www.marthastewart.com/266942/t-shirt-bag

It was great conversation and I'm sure we will be learning even more about these things as we uncover even more reasons why to use reusable bags and how we should respond to things like bag bans and taxes.

The t-shirt bags were really fun to make. We used my rotary cutter to cut off the sleeves and the neck. We sewed up the bottom (learned that we needed a different kind of needle in the machine...a knits needle) and then sewed the corners to make a gusseted bag. Turned out cute!!! They were all excited to turn tons more t-shirts into bags!
I used one of my husband's old race t-shirts."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Penny McGee, (Acelady02, #3343) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I have always wanted to learn to knit. I spent many nights watching videos on the computer 'till I learned to knit. I learned with circular needles.

It was hard to teach myself but I'm glad I took the time to learn... it was challenging, but worth it.

I have taught my best friend to knit...just basic stitches but it was fun since she had never done it before and I'm still new at it too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Shopping Green for earning a beginner level Cleaning Up badge.

"I have been collecting and using canvas bags for years, but over the last 2 years I have made a conscious effort to not only use them all the time, but refuse plastic as much as possible. I carry a stuff sack style bag that hooks to my purse so I am never with out. I have also brought my own homemade mesh produce bags to farmers markets (and actually walked away from one vendor who insisted I use his plastic instead).

I love it and have for years. People always worry about them getting dirty when they are bagging them, I just shrug and point out that I wash them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Shopping Green for earning an intermediate level Cleaning Up badge.

"My research for this was completed though reading and the internet. I have been googling not only recipes for making my own cleaning products, but the ingredients in the ones I was already buying.

Reading has been accomplished though a variety of books and magazines that I purchase including MJF and Mother Earth news.

I am currently reading "Ready, Set, Green", but this is only he latest book. I actually creeped out my kids by putting some bleach in a canning jar with a small scrap of fabric and sealed it. We left it on the kitchen counter to see what would happen. It wasn't pretty. For the last year, I have been using meleluca cleaning products, but have now started collecting and experimenting with making my own products to cut expense and my carbon foot print."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:47:37 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"We have always made the point of family dinners and on Sundays, family game time. Now that 2 of my children have moved back home, one with his family in tow, we have reinstated the traditions. Every Sunday afternoon for the last two months we have played together for at least 3 hours. It is often followed by popcorn and a one of their favorite movies from childhood.

Our biggest struggle was incorporating a 10 month old. We want him to know how important this is. He will often sit on one of our laps, or at the table with us in his high chair. We will take turns playing little counting games, or singing and doing the hand motions to childrens songs with him as we play.

My biggest problem has not been the tv, my kids watch very little, it was the cell phones. There need for responding to every text or email drove me nuts. They decided that the cell phones were all sent to silent, and only responded to if it was an emergency...

We tend towards rummy and 45's, both card games my kids were raised on, but will often play Scotland Yard or Cattan. One a few afternoons, we just worked on a 3000 piece puzzle together and chatted as we worked."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Well about 2 years ago I decided I need to do something. Out of work, no jobs to be found, so I started looking for something to do. I sew. I sew a lot. So a fabric business seemed up my alley. With advice from others, I started working on a business plan. I bought 2 guides and meet with the small business bureau to help me, but version one was written and off I went looking for an investor.

My plan basic has been in place for 2 years, but has undergone multiple re-writes as the needs and focus of my business have changed. It is currently under a third and total re-write to adjust for a new focus. I won't do my next shift until it is done."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"When I opened phase 1 of my business in 2010, it was based out of my home studio and focused on craft fairs and internet sales. I purchased an ez-up, a company banner and business cars, gt a local license and a federal tax id number, business cards, and a bank account. I also had to register my business name with the state and register my web site.

My business did well and grew rapidly. Early in 2011, I rewrote my business plan and opened a store front adding fabric sales and classes to my design work and finished product sales. Recently, due to my husband deciding to leave, I was forced to return to the work force in order to support myself. My business had been meeting all it's own expenses, owned 90% of its stock outright, and had money to order new stock, but I was not bringing in a pay check. I couldn't support myself and needed medical coverage with no notice. So I am moving it to phase 3."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"When I opened my down town shop, I advertised in all the local papers, hired balloon artists, decorated with balloons, sent out mass mailings and emails, and advertised on Facebook and my website. I posted on the MJF chat room too!

Fantastic weekend and a lot of community support ;). Now that my business is morphing again, into phase 3 (a farm based business with both my fabric/ creations and right off the farm products), I will be doing it all again. Business plan is in a major re-write, new website and blog are up and developing... here I go again!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"I was born in Boston MA, and live less then an hour away, so I was very excited to tackle this badge.I went into downtown Boston on March 23 and spent the day exploring the city sites that I had not seen before. I found where the hospital I was born in was, and the apartment building I was brought home from the hospital to was. I then walked the Boston Common and read monuments and watched as they cleaned off the duck boats.

It was 80 degrees and beautiful out. I had never walked up Beacon Hill ( where the apartment is) so I got to see the neighborhood of the city hall and visited the site where protestors were killed by the British before the revolutionary war. It was interesting to look at the city through 1964 lenses. I read building signs to see which ones were there then. I had a great day and plan on expanding this hike to encompass a bigger area on my next trip."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"I did this badge a little backwards. I started by blogging under the suggestion of a friend. When I did, I set up three at the time, 1 personal, 1 for my studio, and one for my farm. After I started all three, this badge was developed. Since then, I have purchased and read the book (with notes and little post ups everywhere).

Well after a few months of the blogging, and having now read the book, I think I am going to combine two of the blogs. I have many notes from Tara Frays book on moving/renaming blogs, so I am going to combine the farm and studio blogs.

With Frey's book in hand, I am also going to put some more effort into how the blogs look and complete my expert level with the new looks."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"This badge was too much fun. I have a Farmgirl sister who I get together with at least twice a month to work on projects together. We decided to attack her kitchen one week and mine two weeks later. BUT we took all the unmatched lids and bottoms from both our places and checked to see if any of them would pair off before chucking anything.

We got both "collections" gone through and tossed the un-matchables, but then we each decided we had too many. We did not want to toss perfectly good containers, so instead we gave them to the local food kitchen. They were thrilled to have containers for "take home" and storage. It was a win win situation for all of us."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  12:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Autumn Day, (Autumn_Day, #3964) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"I tracked the cost of all meals, snacks, and drinks for one week. I donated the cost of lunches for that week to the Sacramento Food Bank.

It shocked me how inexpensive it was to eat at home. It also felt great to donate to the food bank. It made me realize that I frequently donate to large, national groups but that I rarely give to those in my community. I'm glad that I became aware of this so that I can be more conscious of giving to those around me in the future."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  12:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Autumn Day, (Autumn_Day, #3964) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I earned this badge by creating a first aid kit for my car, kitchen, and bathroom. I checked my fire extinguisher and made sure it was still valid.

There has been a million times that I have patched cuts with a cotton ball and scotch tape. I feel better prepared for accidents now that I have real supplies."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page