Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  2:58:09 PM  Show Profile
Joan Nordquist, (Simple Living #3842) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I won't purchase chemical cleaners at all, especially after having cancer. So I use lemons, vinegar or cleansers that are naturally made. I have also purchased Libman mop which I can fill the bottle up with water and vinegar to wash floors, tiles anything. No more Swiffer wet ones or Wet Jet. I even posted online for all our Farmgirls to see this incredible Libman product.

I feel it has saved me money and the fresh smell of lemons and vinegar make me feel I did a good cleaning job. I purchased two more of the Libman (add your own water solution)for my daughters. They love it also. I feel I have contributed to the Green Solution."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  3:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Hotter, (AshleyH #3108) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Blogging badge.

"I published 10 posts along with photos.

www.wildwomanfarm.blogspot.com"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilling badge.

"I started my research online and found that Martha Stewart had done an article on Quilling. It seemed simple enough, a tiny small slotted tool used to wrap paper around. I located the proper tools and strips of paper and began to try making different shapes such as circles, teardrop, and marquise. I decided to do a small four leaf clover design on a card for my grandmother for St. Patrick’s Day.

It turned out wonderful, the paper looks so unique truly a handmade card. I hope my grandma likes it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Music badge.

"Learning the three basic elements of rhythm, the beat, melody, the notes that make agreeable music, and harmony, the simultaneous tones of a harmony. Listening to a country song I was able to hear the music in a wonderful way.

Music is such a life changing thing, if you play it to listening, music can get into your soul."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Carp-hen-try badge.

"When we purchased our home we needed to do lots of renovations, but none more than my kids' bedroom. It was actually a handicap bathroom with a zero entry shower. The sink and toilet were long gone but the large tiled shower remained. It took several hours to slowly demolish the shower stall. Then we found that the hardwood underneath the linoleum was still in decent condition so we began the long process of scraping the floor by hand. It took about two weeks but the floor underneath was in great condition. The room also took 4 coats of paint on all the walls and ceiling. We then put up a sweet border for the kids and put down a rug for some added softness.

My kids love their room, it was so much time and energy working on the house but to have it be ours is so very worth it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:49:32 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Greatest Generation badge.

"I continue to:
- spend time in the life of my mother-in-law with communication, supplying things she needs, etc.
- volunteer to play the piano at any one of our local nursing homes/assisted living facilities

Most time is spent with our friend, who has just turned 90. She is very sharp and such a fun person to be with. She is having difficulty with short term memory so I assist her with dates, communication, calendar information, etc.
We also spend time with her just talking, playing table games with her such as Skip-Bo, making meals for her or having her over for meals.
My daughter and I have also picked her up taking her to my daughter's house for "girls night out". Because of her good nature and love for adventure we told her to just wear comfy clothes, be ready by a certain time and bring an extra pair of socks. We didn't tell her why she needed extra socks . . it was too much fun listening to her guess all kinds of reasons why.

We actually had her over for a meal, then chatter as only the three of us could have, laughter without bounds and a foot soak . . . that is why we told her she needed extra socks.
We will continue to spend time with her because she is so positive and fun!

Sharing life, time and experiences with our older friends is just priceless! And it is so rewarding to be able to assist them in ways that are encouraging to them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Smith, (minismith #1991) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Blogging badge.

"I've enjoyed reading Tara Frey's book which gave me a few new ideas for my blogs and web site.
I've established 3 blogs: www.liveasavorylife.blogspot.com , www.savorybouffe.blogspot.com , & www.savoryjardin.blogspot.com . Each has numerous posts with pictures and links. All are accessible through my website www.liveasavorylife.com , which I designed and maintain myself.
All three are listed on www.girlgab.com .

Wow! The blogs were easy to design, but the website was a real doozy! I'm really proud of how they've turned out. I'm getting great traffic from www.girlgab.com ! Woo Hoo! "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Kristen Brockmeyer, (hepkitten #3858) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I cleaned out and organized my sewing supplies so that they're easily accessible when I need them. I also made a pinkeeper from a scrap of vintage fabric, some stuffing, and a canning jar from an idea I saw at www.deeprootsathome.com . (I also blogged about this project at www.farmgirlsister.blogspot.com .)

I love the new organization - I have notions I didn't know I had, a cute and functional homemade pinkeeper, and all of my sewing tools in places where I can find them. I was so inspired, I brought a handsewing project to work on during my lunch break yesterday that I'd been putting off, and I finished it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  2:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"In a time of financial need a few years ago, I got creative and set about developing a way to generate an income that would allow me to continue to homeschool my five children and would not require leaving my kids home alone for long periods of time. What I came up with was not my “dream business” but it was a business that would allow me to continue with my dream of being intimately involved in the raising of my kids. My high school accounting came in handy, and I soon had a plan that I knew we could carry out.

I called my business 'Care's Services.' "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  2:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Both of my parents owned their own businesses at different times and I was able to be part of their endeavors in different ways. I spent a summer keeping payroll for my father's construction company while they were working in Galveston, TX. I also carried out administrative duties for my mom's Christian bookstore. Business management is something that I understand and was not afraid to undertake! I took a good look at the business I had come up with. It required very little investment—just a lawn mower, a few rakes, and some snow shovels. I kept a ledger of investments, including gas mileage, fuel for the mower, and wear and tear on my vehicle. I had liability insurance and a tremendous amount of faith! I also had a cash gift from a friend to get started with.

We made up posters and business cards on our computer. I hung them in town and at a couple of nearby trailer parks. It didn't take long before the calls started coming in and we were in business!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  2:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"With my five children, age 7 to 17, I set about developing a customer base for our lawn maintenance/yard care service which I named “Care's Services.” For almost two years we mowed lawns, raked leaves, shoveled snow, and helped with landscaping projects. We also did some housekeeping/janitorial services for area churches, our local firehouse, and some private homes. We worked year round doing anything that people would hire us to do. My children worked hard and we all slept well at night.

I was able to continue schooling, and I also worked on my own college degree which I earned after four years of hard work and dedication, receiving my diploma the day before my 40th birthday and the same year that my first child earned his highschool degree. We made so many friends and provided services to elderly people, working families, and even a single woman who just needed a helping hand.

My kids learned valuable lessons about courage and hard work. And I was able to get my family through a difficult time without relying on Social Services. I eventually phased out the lawn care side of our business as my children grew up, but I still have my housekeeping customers whom I love and enjoy serving!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  2:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"I live in an old house which, until last summer, had a poor septic system which required us to limit the amount of water that we sent outdoors. This meant installing low-flow shower heads and faucets. I also kept quart mason jars filled with stones in the toilet tanks to reduce the amount of water that was used for each flush; we were forced to adopt the rule “If it's yellow, let it mellow”! We were recently able to install low-flow toilets that use about one and a half gallons of water per flush. I have also used a dishpan for rinsing dishes, a trick I learned at my first job in the kitchen of a restaurant. This reduces several gallons of water usage! Another way to recycle water that I have employed at times is to scoop bath water into buckets and use them to flush the toilet.

My husband has taught me how to fix leaks with faucets and showerheads so I give each of them a check up now and then, keeping them tight and leak free. I also know how to adjust the toilet tank when it gets out of whack and leaks. It is amazing how much water is saved by simply stopping leaks. This was made apparent to me last weekend when our library had a small leak coming from the toilet tank. A member of the board decided to let it wait until after the weekend, which turned out to be a big mistake. By the time the leak was fixed on Monday there were several gallons of water sitting in the carpet surrounding the rest room and the check out desk, making a sloshing mess.

We are still waiting for it to dry out so that I can clean the carpets and get the stains and moldy smell out. I stay on top of leaks now!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  2:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Water Conservation badge.

"Gray water is a term used for water that is not contaminated by excrement. Many homes have separate disposal for gray water and septic waste, as the gray water is safely absorbed into the ground without posing harm to humans, animals, or foliage. However, in order to be truly useful in gardening situations the water should also not be contaminated by soaps and sulfates. This means being careful to use biodegradable cleaning products or employing a filtering system. A simple filtering system can be built with layers of soil, stone, and dried grass or hay. I have found instructions for these systems in outback guides and homesteading books. If properly built, they will make dirty water clean enough for drinking!

I have been able to collect gray water at times for watering non-food producing plants, bushes, and flowers. I also have a “barrel” system behind my house which is just several two gallon cat litter pails sitting under the roof where rain water runs off.

This keeps the water from pooling behind the house and making a muddy mess, and gives me water to use on my flower beds and raised gardens, and to flush the toilet during power outages. We even collected enough last summer to help fill the new septic tank without taxing our well!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  3:00:23 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Water Conservation badge.

"For this badge I tried to find a water meter that I could attach to the pipe coming into the house from the well for the purpose of measuring our exact usage. They are available, but they are expensive and not simple to install. Instead, I have tried to cut each small area of usage by about a tenth. This means shortening showers by a few minutes, shutting off the water while I brush my teeth, and recycling water after giving my dogs baths (flushing toilets or watering plants with the water). I have drastically reduced my water usage for laundry with a front loading HE washing machine which also allows me to do small loads without excess water.

I am constantly on the lookout for ways to reduce usage or recycle water, a conviction I have had since reading “Serve God, Save the Planet,” a good Samaritan story about being conservative as a way to love my neighbors in other countries. I recommend it as a resource for many other ways to conserve."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  3:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Greatest Generation badge.

"I have been very blessed by having a number of surrogate grandmothers and Aunties in my life. It seems that every group I join provides me more opportunities to spend time with women of a generation before me. They provide me with calm support and encouragement when I am struggling; they fill me with hope when I am discouraged. Collectively they have been through it all, from divorce, to widowhood, to the loss of a child, failures and successes in business, empty nest grieving, military life, and physical degeneration. I sew with them, dance with them, and assist at the library with them.

I CANNOT imagine my life without the stabilizing energy of these women!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  3:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Greatest Generation badge.

"My greatest opportunity to spend time with women from the generations before me is at the Highland Quilting Guild that I am a member of. I am one of the youngest member of the guild, our ages ranging from the forties to the eighties. Once a member reaches her 75th birthday, she is a lifetime member and no longer needs to pay dues.

One of the jobs that I have in the guild that I am in is to organize and keep a record of our projects and the meetings that we hold. This means taking and saving photos, organizing them, and showing them in our electronic photo viewer at special meetings. Sometimes I provide photos for women who show their quilts at the meetings but then give them away with taking a photo for their records! I am in my third year doing this.

As one of the youngest members I have taken responsibility to host our last three annual Christmas parties. This gives me another chance to give back to the ladies who mean so much to me and who bring me so much joy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  3:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Greatest Generation badge.

"Spending time with my friends at Quilting Guild, Line Dancing, and the Library has brought me a great deal of joy over the last several years. It is helped to fill a void that I have felt from not having as close of a relationship with either of my grandmothers as I would have liked. My grandmothers are both gone now and I know that I have missed out on something very special. I did not take advantage of the time that I had with them and I feel a deep sense of loss. It led me to ask God to bring an older woman into my life that I could spend time with, learning, sharing, helping, growing.

Within a year I was involved with the guild and more than thirty “grandmotherly” ladies whom I have grown to love dearly. I also met another dozen older women at line dancing which I started just a little over a year ago. I know that I have forged relationships that will last forever!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  2:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (denisemgm #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"Birds native to Northern Wisconsin that I regularly see:
Eagles
Crows
Robins
Black-Capped Chickadees
Red Winged Blackbird
Northern Cardinal
Wood Duck
Canadian Goose
Mallard
Wild Turkey
Eastern Phoebe
Morning Dove

Wishlist to see:
Any Owl
Purple Finch
Sandhill Crance
Ruby-throated Hummingbird

I like having a wishlist to look for specific birds."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  2:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (denisemgm #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"The simple project I chose was replacing some door knobs both in the house and on the front door.

I also read Dare to Repair. It's a good book.

I was very nervous about the outdoor knobs as I thought it would be a harder job than it was, but it turned out very easy. I did have to "turn around" the bolt, but now I know what to do. All in all, it was pleasantly empowering."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  2:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (denisemgm #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Ink Slinger badge.

"I read Strunk and White, though there are better grammar books out there; I'm partial to Mary Guffey's Business English. Don't let the name fool you, it's not just for business people; it's the best "break down" of grammar rules I've ever read.

I also wrote an article about my friend Vanessa's soap making business.

Turned out great. I published it in a regional magazine and made a little money in the process."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  3:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I already knew how to knit, so I knit this simple scarf for a friend of mine, who I also taught how to knit.

I had fun taking a break from the bigger project I was working on to make this scarf."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  3:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I set my goal to run every morning (on the treadmill because it's winter) before I started my day.

Today is one month of running! I missed a couple days while I was sick, but otherwise I did great and finished my goal."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made this simple apron with using an official pattern.

I think this came out really nice, and I got to use some old fabric I had laying around. It is exactly what I needed."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  3:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Kristen Brockmeyer, (hepkitten #3858) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"To earn my beginner badge in Carp-hen-try, I repainted and redecorated my living room and read the book "Dare to Repair." I blogged about them here, if you'd like details:

http://farmgirlsister.blogspot.com/2012/02/make-it-easy-carp-hen-try-1.html
http://farmgirlsister.blogspot.com/2012/02/make-it-easy-carp-hen-try-2.html

I absolutely love my new living room color - it's far nicer than the sickly greenish color that was in there before. Very warm, cozy and farmlike. And I really enjoyed the book "Dare to Repair." I set it down feeling motivated and knowledgeable enough to attack a few projects around the house that seemed too small to bother the landlord with, but too large to tackle myself. Maybe this weekend!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  2:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I made my own "budget" mix from scratch.

The mix I used was useful for making zucchini and pumpkin muffins, coffee cakes and a few more items. I decided to look into more "mix" recipes that would be more versatile and found the book, "Make-A-Mix" by Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward and Madeline Westover.

I found it easier to cook and bake, but more difficult to find one recipe for everything I bake.

As for shopping on the outer aisles in the store, this eliminated pasta, rice, and other whole grains, and eliminated everything sold in the baking aisle, making it difficult to cook and bake from scratch. We do try to buy our whole wheat flour, cornmeal and other grains from a local mill, but that is only when it's in season. I also make my own noodles with our eggs each summer.

We raise our own meat chickens, layer chickens for eggs, and dairy goats.

We grow our own garden and do not use chemicals. We stock up for the winter and do not buy canned tomatoes or sauce from the store anymore. We home can, freeze or dehydrate what we can stock up on.

I also grow several herb gardens and stock up on those as well. Each year I plant new herbs."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page