Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile
Elaine Drane, (Lainey Lou #3848) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level First Aid badge.

"I have taken the basic first aide class at least 10 times in my life as I started as a young girl in Girl Scouts and continued on thru my 20+ year employment with the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company as it was required during my employment. I have also taken several CPR courses for children and adults, and even managed to work one in on small pets and on babies. I am not able to take them any more as I am unable to do many of the required things because of my disability. I do have the knowledge to instruct someone else though and in a life or death situation have figured out how to do things a little differently and get them done with the exception of lifting.

I enjoyed all the classes I participated in and learned some very useful info."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  11:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Elaine Drane, (Lainey Lou #3848) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level First Aid badge.

"I attempted to enroll in a refresher class but was told if I wasn't able to execute the first aid in the same manner as everyone else I would not receive a passing score. After speaking with the person I asked who was in charge of setting up the classes and contacted them and inquired about having a class for people with disabilities. They told me it would not be done this year because of finances but would be suggested at the next meeting for next year and that I would be notified if the class came to be.

I feel good about the effort put into this and hope that a class comes to be."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  11:52:34 AM  Show Profile
Elaine Drane, (Lainey Lou #3848) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"I found a picture in a magazine and copied it with colored pencils. It was fun and I believe it turned out very well.

The picture was of a blue crab and I thought it turned out suprisingly well!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:14:39 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Tressler, (AmandaT555 #3804) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Music badge.

"I was a music major at West Chester University in college. So I am no stranger to rhythm, melody or harmony.
For rhythm, I listened to Gustav Holst's "Mars" from his planet collection. I love the 5/4 time.
I don't think there is any more beautiful melody that Ode to Joy by Beethoven. One of my absolute favorites, and for harmony, my absolutely favorite is "A Little Fall of Rain," sung by Marius and Eponine in Les Miserables. It gives me chills every single time! Also, I really REALLY love "Wacht Auf," which is originally for voices by Bach, but the Canadian Brass does an awesome arrangement that melts me every time!

I had a lot of fun visiting some old favorites and listening to them again."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Tressler, (AmandaT555 #3804) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have used reusable bags for our shopping for quite a while now. I took a picture of just a small part of the collection. I tend to keep mine in the car, because with 5 kids, it's easier to have them there already than to remember them when we run out the door. My daugher and I are experimenting now with sewing our own reusable bags that fold up, using a plastic store bag as a template!

It's great! I love having so little waste after a trip to the store or the farmer's market!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  1:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"I first purchased the indoor clothes drying rack at my local goodwill. I use it everyday to dry my son’s cloth diapers. Once my new home was greened up I started to clean my old rental out. I used only green cleaners to clean out the place, helping me to get my security deposit back. I donated an entire box of books to my local library and let all of my local friend’s know about all the great events that they offer.

I love everyday not buying diapers for my baby and I am anxiously waiting to find out how much of my security deposit that I get back. The library was very happy for the donation of books also."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  1:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I decided to pair this badge with my entrepreneurial badge. I redid my fitting and sewing lesson area of my home. It took 4 coats of primer on the wood paneling, then 3 coats of ivory paint. I also had to re-trim around the doors and windows of the room with white. I then hung the curtain on my ceiling so that I can quickly make a fitting room.

It has turned out wonderfully, now I can fit people at my home and not have to bring them into my family space. I posted on the forums of my progress with my “store.”"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  2:51:10 PM  Show Profile
Candace Hostetter, (sweettea #3135) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"Using graphite pencils I tried drawing a picture of my father-in-law from an old photograph we've had.

It's not a bad picture but I know I can do better. The eyes aren't right and it doesn't capture his personality...the spark that makes him who he is. I will have fun trying again."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Christen, (#1570) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I have a Ford F350 Truck that I have had since 2001. As soon as I got my truck the first thing I did was read the owners manual.(this wasn't my first Ford) With living a ways from town it is my practice to check all fluids, and tire pressures, along with also checking the air filter. Dust can really gunk them up. I try and make all trips to town count so watching my fuel expensed and milage is very important to me, by doing this it helps me keep track of what I spend per month. Month to month even if fuel prices go up or down I like to say I saved.

I think that being aware of how your vehicle runs is very important, I have always made it a point to respect my transportation, and we pass that on to the boys."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (Houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have a good sized button collection.

I inherited most of my button collection from my grandmother. It reminds me of her every time I open the box."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:39:56 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (Houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilling badge.

"I found a great website that taught all about the history of quilling and the different shapes you can make.

I really liked this first project. I thought it was going to be much harder to do, but I think it came out great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (Houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I spent my afternoon learning about some of the birds local to my area.

A few of the birds I would like to see include: yellow headed blackbird, red knot, red necked stint, wood duck, lark bunting, lark sparrow, and a few others."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (Houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"I made a list of ways to save water around the house and followed it for two weeks (so far).

I collected the water from warming the shower which was 1 1/2 gallons per shower and used that for water plants and pre rinsing dishes. I shortened my showers by 5 minutes. I put a water saver in my toilet to save about one liter per flush. With these and a few other things, I saved at least 60 gallons of water in a week."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (Houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I made 25% of the gifts and ornaments for Christmas this year.

I made my boyfriend a knit sweater, my daughter some blocks and I made the cards I mailed out. I painted many ornaments, made ornaments out of different memory box items and I made the wreath over my fireplace. My favorite was the ornament I made for my daughter out of the hat she came home from the hospital in."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:44:07 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (Houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"I drew a picture of my daughter.

I guess it didn't come out too bad since I haven't picked up a pencil in so long."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  1:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn, (Christmasgal #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"I did this one for the month of Aug. and Sept. of 2011 and forgot to submit it...did this with my grandkids once a week. We played card and board games and read to each other from their shelves of books.

Turned out great, once we started it they didn't want to quit. It was nice to not have the TV or computer on. Love the memories we made."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  1:20:38 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn, (Christmasgal #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Got rid of all non green cleaners, wrote a mission statement, made a journal to keep laundry recipes in and green ideas in, and have shared it with a friend.

It turned out great! I got rid of all non green cleaners, made a journal to keep green ideas and recipes in, made a mission statement to use only green cleaners in my home, shared with a friend and found a whole lot of ideas on you tube of making all kinds of cleaners, which is my next project!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  1:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Pauly, (Cowpeas #3149) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We purchased some older hens and a few young chicks and started our flock in the middle of winter in the back of the barn. It took awhile for the hens to become comfortable in their new surrondings so they didn't lay at first. The chicks were kept in a homemade brood box under a heat lamp. The kids loved it. We are currently incubating eggs to replace the older hens next year. My husband built rabbit hutches from scrap lumber he had. We used old cage wire to make the boxes. The kids signed up for rabbits in 4-H and we are quickly learning about them. It is hard not to become attached. The kids don't like to eat the ones they think are nice. So we are adding breeding rabbits for 4-H so that they will have pet rabbits and eating rabbits. My husband and I grew up farming and we know this is always a hard lesson to learn when you eat something you have raised. We feed the animals a mix of store bought grain and greens we have leftover in the greenhouse and from our meals. This helps us keep our food simple because the veggies we don't eat the rabbits and chickens get.

I personally feel more connected to our home. It isn't just a place we live at, it feeds us and protects us and is becoming a way of life for us. I cannot wait until summer. We are adding pigs and more gardens. We tried last year to make our decorative plants on the property the edible kind. We only have 1.5 acres so every bit of space is getting a purpose. Instead of a fence we planted roses. ( mostly because I love them.) but they also make a nice tea. Mom and Dad have a 60 acre farm they are not using and they retire this year. I have convinced them to help me make it produce more of our food and meat. Plus it's a great natural escape."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  2:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Pauly, (Cowpeas #3149) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Well I have purchased seed from Bakers creek for three years now and I love them. They produce so well. However, we have also bought a good deal of plants at a local greenhouse. This year we are going to start all our seeds. We have decided to go exclusivly with seeds from bakers creek. The book by Lynn Coulter was good but I had to read more. My husband was surprised by how the seed supplies were dwindling due to GMO's and cross pollination. This year we are going to plant the corn and popcorn at mom and dad's farm. This way we can keep them farther apart. I didn't realize that peas were pollinated by bees. I learned a lot about how different seeds are pollinated and how easily they cross pollinate. When choosing our seeds it was hard to control our garden size because these heirlooms have so much history, color, and uniqueness.

We learned a lot and we went to 100% heirloom seeds. We are starting them in our homemade greenhouse. We read many books and looked through several websites to investigate and check our facts about seeds, germination, etc...This summer will be very exciting. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  2:10:30 PM  Show Profile
Joan Nordquist, (simple living #3842) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My husband and myself constantly keep our brown paper shopping bags in the car. We always fill the bags up with whatever we purchase. Even pet food goes in these bags.

Even though we are a small family...now just my husband and myself..we still use our recycle brown paper bags for shopping (anywhere we go). Even my husband hates those plastic bags. (I trained him well lol). We don't fill 6 bags cause it's only the two of us, but sometimes I can fill upto 3 bags."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  2:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Candace Hostetter, (sweettea #3135) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"The chain I started contains the double stitch, picot, a ring and a chain. I started the 3 foot chain and paused in my tatting of this chain to start a tatted edge for a doll I was making my daughter for Christmas. I made the tatted chain in the same pattern as the 3 foot chain in the picture, just with a smaller needle and finer thread. When I finished the chain for her doll and was finished making the Christmas presents for everyone, I started in finishing this chain for my beginners project.

The doll was cute and the tatted edge on the bottom of her skirt was perfect. I can see the reason for the 3 foot chain. It takes a bit to get the bugs worked out as we're beginning to learn this new skill. I'm thankful for the instructional video that you have available. I took advantage of it several times in my learning process!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Kristen Brockmeyer, (hepkitten #3858) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"To earn my Going Green Beginner badge, I first went through my house and packed up all of our non-green cleaning products. Next, I created a pledge not to purchase anything like that in the future, and last, I designed some journal pages to put in my Farmgirl Sisterhood binder to record "green ideas" and set up a Pinterest board to pin any neat things I stumbled across online.

I wasn't sure, because of the wording of the fourth requirement, whether I needed to do a gift basket yet. I have a little way (okay, a long way) to go before my house is fully greenified, but I do plan on putting together baskets for friends after that - preferably with handmade products so they feel obligated to at least try them. :)

I think everything turned out great, and I had a lot of fun with the requirements. If you'd like to see the pledge and journal page (or if anyone else would like to use them), please check out the following links at the blog I just started to track my progress: Journal of a Farmgirl Sister.

http://farmgirlsister.blogspot.com/2012/02/cleaning-up-going-green.html

http://farmgirlsister.blogspot.com/2012/02/cleaning-up-going-green_13.html

http://farmgirlsister.blogspot.com/2012/02/cleaning-up-going-green-3.html "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  2:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Tressler, (amandaT555 #3804) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have been crocheting since the summer of 2011, so in order to get my badge I completed some doilies/dishcloths from The Granny Square Book. I completed some of the intermediate level squares and am hoping to turn them into a blanket. I learned lots of new things, like how to make "popcorn" and Sc2tog! It was pretty interesting!

I have taught both my daughter and the knit and crochet class at our homeschool co op how to crochet. We are just putting the finishing touches on a crochet solar system blanket for the educational fair next Friday!

The squares came out great, I can't wait to do more!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  2:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"It took a while to get rid of all our cleaners. I have been using an all-purpose green cleaner and a green toilet cleaner for a year or so. Breaking from Tide was harder. We use Dreff for our kids but for the nasty dirty chore clothes Tide is my favorite. I ran out of Tide a month ago and things are going well. We are also big fans of Cascade for our dishes but we have moved on there too.

Our mission statement got a little long but the gist of it is that we deserve a safe and comfortable home to live our lives. We are worth going green. My sister is the main beneficiary of my nifty and green journal. I found an under-utilized notebook and have been filling it with tips for cooking, cleaning, gardening, anything I can.

So far so good. I am definately working out some kinks. Our laundry does better with a soak time after the washer has churned around a bit. Our dishes are better with adding vinegar to our washer.

My sister and I are learning these things together. I want a healthier house and she needs a cheaper and less fragrant way to clean. We are very excited about making our own cleaners. Today will be my first attempt at laundry soap."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  2:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Joan Nordquist, (Simple Living #3842) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook/journal for my daughter. She recently told me I'm going to be a grandma for the first time. So I started making a scrapbooking/journal for her and the new baby.

It looks great. I purchased baby scrapbooking paper in polka dots. I added stamping wording and stick ons. She loves it."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page