Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:51:28 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"Our Chapter canned apple pie filling, learned how to pickle beans and we made sauerkraut and canned it as the staple for our quick meals.

We are all ready for winter!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I've been drying fruit, apples, peaches and berries. The favorite was actually the apple skins!!

Our chapter had a putting up party which included applesauce, beans, jelly and pickles - we are fortunate to live in farm country and what didn't come from the CSA we all belong to came from our own trees and gardens.

We had a great time!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  2:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Families Forever badge.

"My family consists of only Brian and myself, but it is still hard to plan things to do together that are different. One thing that we did was go to a Master Gardener function together, which meant that Brian had to take a day off.

We drove down to Atlanta to go to the Botanical Garden and discovered once we got there that they are closed on Mondays, the day we went.

So Brian took me around Midtown, where he used to live, to some gardens that are not well known, including a beautiful one of all different kinds of roses. Then the next month we went back to the Botanical Garden on a day they were open.

We also picked a day to go to Amicalola Falls, one of our state parks and essentially our back yard, and walked up all of the 604 steps from the bottom to the top. We even bought T-shirts proclaiming our adventure! I do not feel the need to ever do that again, though.

The other thing that we did together was to volunteer to help rebuild a barn and put in a pond/fountain and amphitheater at an animal rescue center that was demolished by a rogue tornado in April.

That was four days outdoors in July, and while it was difficult work, the spirit of community there was awesome! It was amazing to see the level of volunteers that came out - the most that the organizers had ever seen!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  2:25:02 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Ink Slinger badge.

"A friend of mine asked me to write a chapter on raw foods and alternative foods (such as wheat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and artificial sweetener-free) for him to include in his book "2012 and Beyond," which is coming out soon. I did and sent it to him, asking him to check it out and see if it needed any editing.

I read "The Elements of Style" to help write the article, and even used it later to finish my book. I can't say that it is something I enjoyed reading, but it did come in handy.

He tends to get really excited about things and types very fast, but not very accurately, so I am always gently reminding him of spelling and grammar errors in what he sends me.

He replied to my email, "Are you kidding? Coming from you, I know that I don't need to. It's in the book already." That really made me feel good!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  2:34:35 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Ink Slinger badge.

"For my recently published "Alive Health Recipe Book," I read and used "The Chicago Manual of Style," commonly referred to as "The Chicago Manual," and the "American Psychological Association" book, commonly referred to as the "APA." I was amazed at how many times I had to consult both of these for little details in the formatting of the book.

The end result is a book that is polished and professional, even if I do say so myself. It is 262 pages, including an Index, and I learned so much from taking on this enormous project. I am so grateful to have had the help of my fellow Sister and next-door neighbor, Paula R. in the birthing of this book in the genre of non-fiction."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  2:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Ink Slinger badge.

The genre that I chose was non-fiction for my book, and two of the books that I read for this were "Cooking with Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife, ND and "Healthy Recipes for Your Nutritional Type" by Joseph Mercola, MD. These two books were very influential in my choice of food to showcase in my book, and to eat for myself.

I not only wrote 20 pages for this project, I went on to write 262 pages for a whole book! It is called "Alive Health Recipe Book Healthy Eating On The Run" and can be found on Amazon. That was quite an undertaking but I am extremely proud of how this book turned out.

Here's a picture of what my dining room table looked like for WAY too long in the compiling of this book.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  4:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Goad, (Homestead Dreams #3028) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a baby quilt for the baby I am expecting.

It turned out exactly as I had envisioned it, minus my less than perfect sewing skills :)! I had a good time making it and put a lot of love into it. I brushed up on some of quilting/sewing skills, tried some new techniques (tying as opposed to stitching the blocks) and found areas I definitely need to work on (mitered corners). I wrote a post on my quilt and badge:

http://spiritualhomesteading.blogspot.com/2011/11/quilt-and-badge.html"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  4:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Kelda Reisman, (FarmGirlonPark #2886) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"This summer I ordered 7 chicks from www.mypetchicken.com and have raised them as organically and free range as possible. I live in town, but have an acre that's fenced so during the week I keep them in their run and coop, then on the weekends they get the run of the fenced yard.

Oh, the joy of chickens...it is as great as I thought it would be! When they first arived, I raised them in an extra bedroom in a large dog crate. They were so cute and sweet. The kids and I loved holding and watching them. After 4 weeks I was so ready to get them out of my house...gettin' icky...so, I built a coop into our shed (8' x 9') and an attached run (8' x 16'). I'll be submitting the project for a carpentry badge, but my hens are big, beautiful, sweet and seem very happy. It's been more work than I anticipated, but SO WORTH IT!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  12:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"It's been probably 30 years since I last did any crocheting, so I had to re-learn how to do it. After getting back into it, I crocheted a pattern that was supposed to be a one-hour scarf.

When I finished it, it looked more like one of those halo things that doctors put around patient's necks who have had a whiplash, so I pulled it all out and started over. I used a chenille yarn that was very thick and the pattern said to hold two together, so the second go around, I used only one skein of yarn.

This time, it looked a lot better and had more drape to it. Now I am pleased with how it turned out. The "one hour scarf" took about five hours altogether.

Tonight at the craft-in that we Farmgirls have on Thursday nights, I taught Karen, a fellow Farmgirl who is a knitter, how to crochet. She is doing well with it, but is tight with it (like most of us were) right now because it is new to her."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  09:43:09 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Homespun Christmas badge.

"We have decorated our tree with homemade ornaments. I am finishing up homemade gifts for this Christmas season.

This year's gifts to family, friends, and other people are homemade cinnamon honey butter, home canned candy apple jelly and dry taco mix. I am also crocheting my mother a blanket. I have posted the recipes on the "Holiday" forum, and have posted several ornament photos on my blog."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  09:56:24 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (Traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"To earn this badge I helped my husband install laminate flooring in one of our rooms.

I also read the required book.

Pulling up the old (20+ years) carpeting was the worst part.

Installing the flooring was pretty simple and quick once we remembered to tilt the preceding piece. The dogs "helped" by standing on the foam underlayment.

As a side benefit, I sorted through lots of stuff that had been languishing on shelves and in cupboards for many a year waiting for "someday". Most of it is going to Salvation Army. Now the room seems less cluttered and more inviting.

The downside? Now I see all the dust, dirt and dog hair that used to hide in the carpet. But my husband says that he already notices less aggravation of his allergies."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  10:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Elli Metz, (#2251) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Ink Slinger badge.

""The Elements of Style" is on my desk as I write this -- it's my go-to resource for all things written word. (I ignore the traditional syntax when it suits the story/piece, but I *do* know how to do it right if it's necessary.) :)

My two-page work was the beginning to a longer work, called "The Flood". I ended up not running with that particular story, but I may, in the future, go back to it.

I submitted it to my "hivemind" -- a group of women who all give feedback on the creative stuffs we all do, collectively. They fixed a few things, set it on the right path, and told me to write more. :)

All's well so far. I did end up going a little further with a different idea, but I'll mention that in the advanced badge-bit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  10:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Elli Metz, (#2251) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"Collage! (And drawing, I do a ton of both.)

For this one, I'm doing primarily art journaling and ATCs. Oils make me twitch (the scent gives me migraines), so I'm substituting acrylics for health purposes. (Which I'll explain in the other level applications.)

Some come out fabulous, others...not so much. But I learn a lot from the doing, so it's okay. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  10:50:46 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"Finally I finished making this full size apron for myself. I used a McCall's pattern and now I remember why I always stuck to Simplicity patterns before.

This one has ruffles and gathers galore and it took me way over three hours to make it. However, I must say that I do like the way it looks.

Here's a picture of the finished product which I wore to my next-door neighbor's house. She's a fellow Farm Girl so she didn't think I was crazy.

In fact, she liked the pattern and may try making one for herself. I will gladly give it to her, as I won't be making another one for myself, that's for sure."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  11:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"Actually, I did this apron long before I did the intermediate one because I needed it for my business. I had the front designed from my website heading on www.HealthyEatingOnTheRun.com and had 10 of them printed up for giving out as door prizes at our Business After Hours (a local networking group.) So I have given away almost all of them by now. I have one more for this month's meeting.

On the pocket of the apron, I sewed on my MaryJane's Farmgirl badge and my Georgia Farmgirl's one with buttons holding them on. I have worn the apron to these BAH meetings plus the Consumer's Expo and it is a great way to distinguish myself. You can be sure that no one else does it! I definitely get noticed."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  11:58:40 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (Traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"For the last two months I have been trying different organic foods and some non-organic.

I started with King Arthur's flour for MJs starter. For spaghetti sauce I used organic tomato paste. I just finished a box of organic granola using soy milk instead of regular milk. For Thanksgiving dinner I made green bean casserole with all organic ingrdients except the Durkee's onions. I have tried others but I am at work and don't have my list.

For a new non-organic food I tried sauteed eggplant and on another day, roasted turnips.

To me, flour is flour. But I like the idea of using organic, natural flour. I could tell no difference in using the tomato paste. Again, just felt better knowing I'd used it. Same with the granola and soy milk.

However, I did notice a difference in the green beans straight from the can--firmer and better tasting. By the time all the other ingredients were added I could tell no difference and nobody made any comments.

So far, as noted above, I can tell little to no difference. I will continue to try organic foods because it makes me feel that I am making a small difference."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  12:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (Traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"When I earned my first merit badge, I did not know how I was going to get the image from the paper to the muslin. One day it dawned on me to use my bedroom window as a light box.

Using the window worked well except my arms got tired being held up long enough to trace all the merit badges.

The first few I earned had simple line drawings. Some of the subsequent ones had much more detail that was difficult to transfer.

I did find transfer printer paper at Joanne's and will use that for the more complicated images."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  12:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (Traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I have made my own laundry soap using the recipe in MJF. I have made different cleaners and have shared either the recipes or finished products with friends.

I have not made my own soap but have a friend who does who will show me the next time she makes a batch, but I have purchased homemade soap from a fellow farmgirl, which I love, and the afore-mentioned friend sold me two bars to try.

I really like the laundry soap. It's right on top of the washer so even my husband uses it.

I tried mopping the floors with water, vinegar, and lavender oil. Yes, the floor was clean but the laminate was dull. I liked the Mrs. Meyer's diluted with water better and it smelled better.

I made an all-purpose cleaner to wipe down the desks in the GED room at work. Especially in the winter testers arrive with coughs, sneezes, sniffles. Why they don't stay home when sick I don't know. So every so often I spray and wipe with a cleaner made from the same MJF.

I want to try making my own soap but am afraid to take the plunge. I think I will feel more confident after helping my friend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  1:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (Traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"For this badge I interviewed my mother. Her parents are gone, she is the oldest child and other relatives live in Indiana.

I asked Mom to relate some of her earliest memories while I took notes.

I did not know that my mother (who is in her 70s) was born at home! Her father was a farmer (wheat, corn, and soybeans). Grama had chickens which they would raise and then butcher. Grama kept some for eggs to sell.

Another interesting fact is that my mother was born on a farm outside the town of Roseburg, Indiana. When my husband and I moved to Oregon, we started out in Roseburg, Oregon!

My intent is to transcribe my notes to be passed on to my children."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  1:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (Traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I went to the site eatwild.com.

I found three farms close to me (within 50 miles) listed on the site. One of the farms is less than a mile down the road from my house. I have known them in a horse-training context and had no idea that they raised grass-fed animals for sale.

I have heard stories about what has been included in animal "feed" and even read a novel years ago based on that premise.

It just seems obvious to me that natural conditions and feeds are better for the animal and therefore better for the "consume"-r. But I also understand the desire for profit and the slim pocketbooks of purchasers.

I grew up eating moose, deer, mountain sheep, mountain goat, caribou, buffalo, ptarmigan, an occasional bear, salmon, ling cod, and halibut. All were wild. My mother bought bacon and occasionally chicken. The moose meat was made into hamburger (with beef suet to keep the patties from crumbling), breakfast sausage, summer sausage, and one year, hotdogs!

Now in Oregon, we eat primarily deer and elk. Once in a while we eat freshly caught salmon, ocean-going halibut and trout.

I still buy beef, chicken and pork for variety. I would like to try some pasture-fed meat, but don't know if I can afford to.

I had always been told that wild game was leaner than domestic and that the red meat limitations did not apply to game. It was interesting to see the graphs on eatwild.com that showed the truth of that statement."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  1:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Goad, (Homestead Dreams #3028) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"My dream business would be to start a freelance artist business. I already do commissioned portraits from time to time, but nothing official. I would love to make it a legit business and start marketing my skill. I researched online how to write a business plan and looked into some of the details of getting started, i.e. registering a name, getting a business license, etc. I typed up a plan for a simple, home based freelance artist business and printed it out. I only have an unofficial name at this point, I'm still ironing it out and I have a timeline in place. I've been keeping my plan in my pocket during the day and tucked under my pillow at night! Just as important, if not more so, I've been praying about it. And I've discussed my dream and plan with my husband who thinks it's wonderful idea and is encouraging me to go for it (he thought I should have done this a long time ago)!!

I blogged a little about this at:

http://spiritualhomesteading.blogspot.com/2011/12/project-barn-loft-studio.html

I'm already moving on to the Intermediate Level! Putting the dream into action. If all goes as planned I could have a legit business as early as the beginning of the New Year! What I really need now, most of all, is confidence. Confidence to put myself out there and confidence in myself that I can do this. So, this story is to be continued. . ."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  1:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I actually took a hunters safety class in 2003 when I first moved to Montana. It was for archery hunting. As an adult you don't have to take hunters safety in this state but I did find the entire manual online. It took quite a while to read it. Actually it took me a few weeks but it was very interesting. I had learned most of it from my husband who is an avid hunter but it was really nice to have a refresher course.

I learned quite a bit about other positions to both carry and shoot my gun. I also learned more about what my gun is capable of. It also gave my husband and I some interesting topics to discuss to further explain some of the information I learned."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  2:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Hotter, (AshleyH #3108) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I bought some hens from a lady I know down the road and started feeding them organically. I attached a picture of how one of my hens looked when I got her.

They look so much healthier, they were missing a bunch of feathers because she had way to many chickens and roosters and they were getting picked on. Their feathers grew back and they are shiny and lay a ton of perfect eggs."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  2:41:07 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"Even though I have lived in the North Georgia mountains now for eleven years, I had never been to the Gold Museum in Dahlongega, a town close to where I live. They were having an open house today from 9-4 and serving hot cider and cookies, so Brian and I decided to go finally. It was free, so why not?

Dahlonega is the site of the first gold rush in the nation and made quite a few people rich before it became too difficult to mine it out of the mountains. Then everyone fled to California for the next big rush.

The museum used to be the courthouse on the square, and is furnished in period pieces to replicate that. The current structure replaced a small wooden building that originally stood there. It had a marketplace on the first floor and the courtroom on the second.

This courthouse is the oldest one in the United States and was built of brick made from the mud of the surrounding rivers. It contains a number of gold flecks in all of the bricks since gold was everywhere around the area. It was very interesting to visit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  3:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Henning, (mamahenning #2492) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I read the book, "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders", by Candace Savage. The library system didn't have a copy of the book, so they ordered one just for me! But, I am sure others will appreciate reading it as well. It was a cute book that also gives insight to the world of bees.
We live in what is locally known as "the fruit belt" of western NY, so there are a lot of honey vendors as a by-product of the pollination business. The closest one to us is about 2 miles down the road. We always buy our honey from him because we want to know exactly where it comes from. I have seen raw honey at his stand, but didn't think much about it until I researched it for this badge. I am surprised about the health differences between raw and processed honey. We purchased a jar of raw honey to use in (and on) our baked goods.

I really enjoyed reading the book by Candace Savage. I have reccomended it to some our friends that were asking why we decided to set up our own beehive."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page