Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:05:44 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Ink Slinger badge.

"I have read several books over the year, regarding what genre I am interested in writing. The most recent books are:

"How to Write and Sell a Christian Novel" by Gilbert Morris

Gotham Writer's Workshop Writing Fiction"

and

"How to Write Killer Fiction"
by Carolyn Wheat.

I am most interested in mystery fiction, but have many interests in writing. I continue to freelance write on a daily basis as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Ink Slinger badge.

"I participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)last November.

I wrote over 50,000 words in one month, and plan to participate again every November until I have a book published."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:32:02 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (#486) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I pulled all the things off the shelves and reorganized my storage containers. Threw out many that were stained and had no lids that fit.

It looks so nice now and much easier to see the sizes and what I have. I'm trying to collect more glass versus the plastic."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (#486) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I started making a list of things I could use or like to have in my kitchen. Over the past few months I have managed to pick up helpful appliances.

It's great. I now have a stand mixer that I've wanted for years, a juicer for fresh juice each morning, a food processor for making things so much easier and faster and a bread knife for all the many loaves I'll be making this winter. Extra items I no longer use are going to a needy family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Penny McGee, (acelady02 #3433) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I got a rifle for my birthday last year. I learned all the parts of the rifle and how to be safe.

I also found a safety course to take."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Penny McGee, (acelady02 #3433) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"After getting my rifle I took a safety course so I could go hunting with my husband and friends. It took 4 Saturdays.

I got a certificate."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Penny McGee, (acelady02 #3433) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I went hunting with my farmgirl friend Megan.

We climbed a tree stand and when DH came to get us from our time of hunting deer, he took our picture."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  2:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Ink Slinger badge.

"I read the books: "Readings From Literature" by Reuben Post Halleck, written in 1915, and "Breathe Life Into Your Life Story" by Dawn & Morris Thurston.
The book "Reading From Literature" is full of short stories and poetry from the masters. It encourages one to memorize at least parts of poems & read them aloud to increase your liking for poetry. It helps you recgonize what kind of literature you like & what kind of writer you want to be.
"Breathe Life" is a very fascinating book for the beginner writer. It tells about how to write a story people will want to read and how to take different approaches to your writing.

Both of these books have helped me. "Breathe Life" was the most helpful. I have been writing our family history and working on genealogy.
It has helped me make the people come to life and be interesting, help to establish their life, where they lived, to zoom in on the key events and to leave the garbage out.
I highly recomend this book to anyone that wants to write."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  11:59:26 AM  Show Profile
Valerie Thompson, (Merry Sunshine #2224) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"For my intermediate project I decided to make an afghan for my mom using a mile-a-minute pattern. I had not tried one of those before and always admired the ones my grandma had made. I worked on it while helping my aunt learn to crochet a baby blanket, we spent many hours enjoying each others company while getting our projects done.

The afghan turned out great and I got it finished just in time for my mom's birthday. She loves it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  12:14:50 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I learned to cross-stitch when I was a kid. I really enjoy it. One of the first things I remember stitching was a little bunch of balloons. Three balloons all different colors and framed in a little blue plastic frame. I had set cross-stitching aside for the last couple years to do other things but this was just the thing to get me going again. In April I made a jar topper for my button jar. This week I made a little ghost Halloween treat bag.

Everything turned out well. The little umbrella girl on top of my button jar is one of my favorites. I think the little ghost treat bag turned out well too. It was a quick and easy pattern to cross-stitch so it didn't take long at all. This is really the one I am using for the badge but I wanted to share my little umbrella girl too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  12:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Charlene Kirsch, (LilSnip #3451) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I made Trelingua Blend with the Wild Violet chapter members. Our chapter member's backgrounds include: Irish, Polish, German, Italian, Korean (and feline if you count Diana's cat Sophie).

Smells heavenly - we'll know when I use it when making dinner next week."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  12:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I found three buttons from my collection that mean something special to me. I love hats and tea. I used a button hat, tea pot and cup.
I made a bracelet using fabric that reminds me of the Victorian era.
I used Velcro as a fastener.

It was fun making this project and I plan on making one for my grandaughters as a gift. It turned out pretty. I will wear this bracelet on my outings."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  1:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I read the "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. It was a wonderful book and I struggled to put it down until it was finished. I watched the trailer of the movie called "The Vanishing of Bees" and found a copy of it on Amazon.com and ordered it to watch. I have bee friendly flowers in my garden. The bees seem to really love my oregano. I talked my husband into leaving the thistles and some of the other native flowers that the bees gravitate towards.

This project turned out nicely. I learned a lot about bees and now pay closer attention to them. They seem to sleep on the oregano blossoms. They are truly one of God's amazing creatures."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  2:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Cross-Stitch badge.

"My expert level cross-stitch project is a cameo of myself in black thread. I started by taking a photo of myself with my digital camera then downloading it into my computer where I could enlarge it to my desired size and print it. I cut it out and then traced around the cutout with a pencil onto a piece of natural-colored hardanger fabric. I used one strand of black DMC floss and cross-stitched over 2 threads to make my x's. I got 15 stitches to the inch which means that each square inch of my cameo contains 225 tiny stitches. This took me many more hours, and unbelievably more floss, than I could have imagined!

My finished cameo is about 6 ½ x 7 ½ and I am hoping to find an antique oval frame in which to showcase it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  3:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Spinning badge.

"I have finally gotten so that I can spin a balanced yarn on my homemade drop spindle. I have enough now for a tea cozy. I also spun some white roving for roses to put on the tea cozy, and I have just coffee dyed some green roving (to darken the color and make it less bright) for some leaves to add to the roses. I found the pattern for this cozy in a book titled (appropriately) “Tea Cozies”! This makes six balls of yarn that I have spun and then plied together. I am amazed at how much yarn comes from a little bit of roving when it is properly spun! I don't know how many yards I have spun, but I have only used a few ounces of roving. I am curious about how many socks could be knit from one shearing of an average sized sheep; I have a feeling I could make enough for my whole family and possibly a few friends as well!
As a spinning party, I finished this badge by joining the people of my county at the 19th Annual Washington County Farm and Fiber Tour this spring and the 3rd Annual Southern Adirondack Fiber Festival this fall— county-wide spinning parties, if you will. For the fiber tour there were twelve farms exhibiting rabbits, sheep and lambs, or alpacas. I visited several of them along with my husband and some friends. We saw a sheep shearing demonstration, learned to care for a freshly cut fleece, watched 4H'ers dye wool with Easter Egg dyeing kits (since it was Easter weekend), enjoyed a spinning demonstration, learned about different breeds of sheep and fleece animals, and heard information about the differences in fibers including length and draftibility. There were yarns, roving, and other local items for sale. The Fiber Festival was held at out county fairgrounds and included vendors and fiber farmers from all over— I spoke with couples from Northern Vermont and Southern Connecticut! This year's festival was larger than last year, a good sign that I will have a fiber festival near me for many years to come. I shopped only for roving at the festival and was thrilled to find a vendor, Fiber Kingdom in Salem, NY, who sold small amounts of fiber for practicing with. For $27 I got bamboo, corn fiber, soymilk fiber, cultivated silk, bright viscose, and hemp! I have found that most silky fibers are difficult to spin on a drop spindle as they require a different drafting technique than wool. The fibers are long and slick, very different from wool's short “grippy” fibers. The bamboo resisted twisting so I only spun about 1 yard of it before giving up. I spun about 20 yards of pure silk and learned that it is best spun with another fiber as it clings to everything it touches and is too slick to handle with one hand. I also spun about 30 yards of merino/silk and found that nice to handle. At the festival I purchased some synthetic fibers to add sheen to some yarn, as well as recycled silk to blend with another fiber; I have merino (goat) fibers to play with and a couple of good-sized balls of wool in natural colors for blending.

Now, I just need to let my family know that I would like a spinning wheel for Christmas!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  11:43:11 AM  Show Profile
Jamie Sweeney, (SunnyJam #2504) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"For two weeks, I paid extra attention to my grammar and spelling and attempted to refrain from using slang and "text speak". I'm already a stickler for grammar and spelling so that portion wasn't too difficult, but I hadn't realized how much slang had snuck into my daily communication! Texting was especially hard, and I actually had to cut back on sending texts and write out more correct emails instead. I also flipped through the dictionary to learn a new word every day, and that part was a lot of fun!

I'm still cutting back on my text messages, and I loved learning a new word each day! The words I learned over the two weeks (in alphabetical order, of course) are: assiduous, chapiter, chopine, entablature, irrefragable, linalool, moiety, oud, panegyric, preprandial, rapine, ruction, sedilia, and stonewort. Linalool is definitely my favorite to say, but I think the one I'll use the most is preprandial, which describes the time just before dinner. I'm excited to continue for another two weeks for the intermediate badge!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Using a silicone lubricant I went around my house and squirted some on the hinges. Then I swung the door back and forth a few times to make sure any squeak was gone.

Then I went down to the barn and oiled the chain of the only bike we have left at home. It belonged to my grandfather and he willed it to my daughter, Kristen, because she is the oldest great-grandchild.

When I tried to lubricate the hinges on my cupboard doors, they made an awful croaking noise when I shut them. I only did this on one cupboard door because I didn't want all my coupboards to sound like sick bullfrogs. I live in a mobile home so I think these are special hinges.

I remember my dad having a small oil can with a bendable spout that he used for various small jobs and for oiling bicycle chains. I couldn't find one here so I bought my own! I didn't think Dad would want to part with his. So this one is black and I painted my initials on it with burgundy touch-up paint.

My garden tools are in very sad shape. I scoured them with steel wool and it did not help much so I oiled them anyway and put them back in the tote."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  11:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"My kitchen knives are Cutco and have serrated edges. The one time I have needed one sharpened in 20+ years, I returned it to the factory for sharpening.

So my husband showed me how to sharpen my camping axe and hatchet.

My husband demonstrated on the hatchet. He helped me place the edge of the axe head at the correct angle to the grinder. He checked my angle and told me to be sure to get the same angle on both sides of the axe head.

It wasn't too difficult for the first side, but for the other side the axe head had to be pointed down so I couldn't see what I was doing like I could with the first side.

After putting an "edge" on, he showed me how to file off the ridge that is left from the grinder."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"When I ordered the MJ Get Acquainted Sampler, a package of ChillOver powder was included. Last night I made the Brown Sugar and Vanilla ChillOver.

There are not other Farmgirls in this area, so I made this ChillOver for dinner with my husband and invited a friend to join us.

When I added the sugar sauce to the whipped cream it was still warm. I didn't know if the pudding would actually jell. By the time dinner (a BakeOver!) was over the ChillOver had jelled up nicely.

The taste was delightful, sort of like the browned butter frosting my mother used to make. However, it was very rich. So much so that we could not finish the entire serving. We put the leftovers in the refrigerator to see how they fare and will eat them today."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  10:30:32 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I made the Potato and Bacon BakeOver in the Farm Kitchen issue.

I had neither celery nor onion so I used yellow, orange and red baby sweet peppers and added Canadian Bacon. I added onion powder to the vinegar mixture.

Unfortunately, I have used all the Budget Mix so I substituted Buttermilk Honey biscuit dough from "The Cowgirl's Cookbook" by Jill Charlotte Stanford, a vintage-style cookbook with old-timey photos of real cowgirls and their recipes.

Since there are no farmgirls in this area, I made this for my husband and me and invited a friend for dinner. We all liked this, although my husband insisted on adding sour cream."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  10:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"The last weekend in September I helped run an advanced leader training program for Boy Scouts and spent 4 days completely disconnected and camping in the El Cerritto Hills at Camp Herms. I spent time reading, eating and enjoying fellowship as well as mentoring my Patrol of folks who are heading out on new adventures in their Scouting careers. It was great and I was not eager to get back to my tech... email was over flowing with 400+ when I finally reconnected Tuesday night. ;)

It was GREAT! Can't wait to escape again!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I checked out a couple of books from the library on green decorating and recycled furniture. I found out that I already had a pretty good knowledge base. ;) Now to carve out some time to make it not just organized, but pretty. I found some great ideas.

Inspired to get it more together and make it cool for next to nothing! :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Make It Pretty badge.

"I have been painting with acrylic paints for many years now.

I have painted all types of items using acrylic paints, including wood, plastic, metal, sytrofoam, paper. I enjoy creating new treat bags with an artistic look, and creating new homemade ornaments using acrylic paints. As a family we attend the Black Swamp Arts Festival, which is held every September, and visit many other art walks and museums."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  11:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I set up a Christmas tree, along with homemade ornaments, for my mother.

Mom had just been released from the hospital, and was recovering from heart surgery (her second one) in a nursing home. She was thrilled to see a decorated tree when she was able to finally go home."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  11:12:11 AM  Show Profile
Breanna Helgesen, (Breanna #2507) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I found a very pretty sampler pattern on the internet for free, printed it off, and traced it onto some off-white muslim fabric. Then I looked at several books about embroidery from the library, chose the stitches I wanted to try, and got to work. I created my own stitch for the letters; I call it the "twisted stitch". When I was finished I bought a frame from a local craft store and ta da!

It turned out nicely, I especially liked how the french knots looked. But my fabric bunched quite a bit so it looks wrinkled even though I ironed it. Next time I would like to use a thicker fabric."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page