Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  2:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Mathews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I saved all the seeds from mine and my mom's flower gardens. I took them to our yearly seed swap and swapped for heirloom vegetable seeds I wanted. We planted well over 50% in heirloom this year. By swapping with others we were able to get what we wanted and so were other people too.

Love the seed swap and all the great seeds we got."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  2:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Mathews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"We made our own trellis out of the twine that comes around our hay and straw. I cut them and tie them into balls of twine for when we need them. We got scrap wood from Craigslist and built all our raised beds. We put an ad on there saying that we wanted to repurpose some free wooden boards like deck wood and had several people call us the first day. They had lots and we could just come and get it! We also made tomatoe stakes out of metal fence poles we weren't using for goat fencing at the time.

We probably saved over $200 on materials just by using what we had or what others were going to throw away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  2:44:46 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Mathews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"We have been using recycled furniture, building it ourselves, or buying stuff at yard sales and good will. If we no longer need something for our house we put it on Craigslist or yard sale it instead of tossing it in the land fill. We try not to redecorate every little bit, but go for a more classic look so we don't spend as much money on our home.

So far it has turned out great. I love a good bargain!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  3:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial badge.

"I researched information on taxes in our state, in regards to selling my crafts, and possibly jelly/jams at next year's Farmer's Market. I'm starting small.

My business cards were printed on 100% recycled paper, and my own photos were used to create the front and back of them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We made our own butter, and soon will be making cheese with our very own goat's milk. We have also located an organic farm to purchase our meat from now, as well as raising meat chickens ourselves.

I took photos of the organic farm animals and had them printed into note cards. The front is in color, and the back is in black and white. The front contains a photo of the heritage hogs, and the back of the card is a photo of the cattle."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  3:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Paula Ricketts, (Sister Ricketts, #3354) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I sewed a half apron (envelope style) from a pattern using a vintage pillow case. Topped it with a vintage embroidered table runner piece and added a pocket made from a vintage embroidered hanky (see pic). Took about 3 hours, but it was worth it!

I love it! Although I'm afraid to wear it when I'm making spaghetti sauce :o)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  3:39:14 PM  Show Profile
Shari Swartz, (sharikrsna, #607) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I saw an apron in an ad for MaryJane's Farm Store, and loved it. So I copied it! It required altering the frilly apron pattern to include extra ruffles, and I added applique and crochet lace.

It turned out beautifully. See photo."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K, #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"Even though I have been foraging wild edibles for many years, I decided to contact my local extension office and "be a beginner" to see what I could learn. Wow! Totally amazing experience of learning about my land and area. I included one photo of 6 sketchbook pages I filled with drawings and information of edibles within 100 feet of my kitchen. I truly enjoyed this exercise and made some tasty dishes from the "weeds" out the back door.

My husband liked the edibles very much, my immediate neighbor, well, not so much until I added some homemade cheese. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  4:03:33 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K, #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"I have been studying food foraging locally with a group of like-minded folks over the last year. Starting in March, we have been meeting for identification in the vast diversity of Delta County in Colorado (2nd most biodiverse in the US after an area of Hawaii)every few weeks as the spring and summer progressed. I have learned a tremendous amount about the ecosystem I live in, and made some good friends at the same time. I love finding food I have not had to plant, tend, weed, water, and protect. What an amazing gift!

Fabulously well all around. I have experienced an increased appreciation and commitment to my planted vegetable gardens and fruit trees and bushes, as well as admiring the incredible life force in the wild."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  4:13:01 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K, #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Forage for Food badge.

"Along with foraging for edibles of the plant variety, I have been intensively studying identification, cultivation, and wild foraging of edible fungi. I have hundreds of digital images documenting the last year, but have only included one of shaggy manes collected last week at 10,000 feet in elevation on the Grand Mesa. Shaggy manes are delicious, short in season, unable to be grown on wood chips or other cultivation methods,and cannot be dried or preserved, so represent the cream of the crop of the wild mushroom season. I have been studying with Paul Stamets, Larry Evans, Gary Lincoff, John, SirJesse, and others, and going on wild forays in the Rocky Mountains from Telluride to Paonia/McClure pass. I have also organized 5 wild mushroom hunts in the last month, followed by cooking,drying, and identification classes in our home. We have recently completed construction of a clean room lab where we are taking the stem butts of wild species such as aspen boletes and chanterelles, growing out cultures on millet, straw and wood chips, then innoculating mulch for our neighbors, gardens, lawns, and town. We have been trained in oil and petroleum toxic clean up using oyster mushroom cultures, and are now disseminating that information in our area, and beyond, joining with other people with labs/clean room facilities to create a network of cultures for hard-hit environments such as the BP oil spill.

We have been eating wild mushrooms every day for the last 5 weeks, drying as many as we can for the winter and spring seasons when the Earth is quiet. I feel so incredibly blessed by the abundance of the Earth, the power of wild foods to sustain and heal, and the absolute proof of the existence of God all around. So, yes, I think it has turned out very well!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  4:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Colina Washburn, (rubyleesmom, #3408) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"While shopping at my local Big Lots closout store, I came across some very adorable reusable shopping bags. They are bright red and patriotic. The best part was that they were on clearance (I am definately a bargain shopper), so I paid a quarter for each one! I was able to make a commitment to help the environment while getting a great deal and saving money.. and I get to show off my pride in my country in the process! It is definately a win-win situation! :)

Im finding that I am having a little trouble remembering to actually take them into the store with me so it is definately a work in progress. I have them sitting right beside me seat to hopefully remind me the next time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  11:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Paula Ricketts, (Sister Ricketts, #3354) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Going Green badge.

"A little over 2 years ago we moved into a new home, I was pregnant with my 3rd child and I was able to become a stay at home mom. I felt that was a good time to try implementing some of my "green" ideas. We started by not bringing anything into the house that wasn't natural or couldn't be "given back to the earth" or recycled or repurposed in some way. This was difficult especially since we do our own car maintenance. However we found that most auto parts stores will accept things like oil for recycling. I've been using apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle for cleaning my kitchen counter, windows, bathrooms, mirrors, etc. for over 2 years now and not only is it green, but if my little one got ahold of it and drank it, it would just taste bad. After that I got into baking soda. If you mix just the right ratio of baking soda to water in a bucket and use a home grown luffa it gets the tile floor cleaner than most cleaners do. I also make my own tub cleanser from making soda & lemon zest. And when it needs a little help I spray vinegar on it for some foaming action! I've also been making my own laundry soap with a natural lye soap base (the same soap I use in the shower and make myself). And just recently I've had a chance to try my homemade drano made with boiling water, baking soda and vinegar. It worked on a nasty hair clog. I created a "mission statement" and had my husband and kids all sign it and hung it on the fridge. I keep a small binder handy with loose leaf paper to record all my recipes and ideas and I just gave a copy to my best fried, who is just getting the 'green bug', for her birthday along with the merit badges gift basket idea. I gave her all the cleaners I use plus some homemade soap and laundry soap. I also copied some recipes down on index cards in multiples and shared them with all the ladies at my church that attended our skillz share festival!

The longer I do this the easier it seems to get and I'm so glad I did! It takes some research and work, but with organization and determination it pays off. I had a friend that works for the local epa come over and swab my kitchen counter just after preparing raw pork on it then cleaning it with the vinegar. I was curious (and needed to put my husbands mind at ease) about whether or not it was really getting it clean. He said it was one of the cleanest counters he'd tested in the 10 years he'd been with the epa! That really makes me wonder...hmmmm."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  11:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Paula Ricketts, (Sister Ricketts, #3354) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I'm retired navy (sharpshooter) and my husband is a former marine. We found a local hunting safety course and enrolled in it together.

We have a range not too far from us and have a few hours under our belt so far with my husbands rifle and .45 (this has become our date night). Its our goal to shoot our own wild turkey for Thanksgiving this year!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  11:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Paula Ricketts, (Sister Ricketts, #3354) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I just got my copy of "Mary Jane's Outpost" last week and am soooooo amazed! I'm so thankful for this merit badge program or I never would have known this book existed. I called the local Purdue extension office here and got a great list of things to forage for here just in time. It's paw paw season and I'm trying my hand at paw paw jelly.

I've always been interested in foraging. I mean there's so much around us that we could be eating, but we don't even know it exists. Instead we rely on trucks to bring fruit from California (or further). Who knew we had a large temperate climate yet tropical fruit (native) right here in Indiana? Did you know the paw paw is the largest native North American fruit?! And it tastes kind of like a banana! Also, I went to our state fair last Friday and found out they have a foraging or wild fruits and nuts section! I never knew! Next year I intend on entering!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  11:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Paula Ricketts, (Sister Ricketts, #3354) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I figured the best way to start this is to focus on one side of the family, so I started with my mom's side since I don't know much about them. I was able to find my oldest living relative via a search engine because we had lost touch several years ago. Unfortunately she's about 6 hours away and wasn't comfortable with being recorded. So we came up with another idea...

I interviewed her and took notes to start my research, but instead of recording her I sent her some special scrapbook paper and she was kind enough to write down all of her stories. I'm now putting them together in a scrapbook for my mother for her anniversary. It also turns out that she has pictures of family members that I've never seen, nor do I have pictures of. She's making a CD of them for me and I'm going to include them in the book. My mom has never even seen these pictures or met some of these people!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:09:44 PM  Show Profile
Kim Hazelrigg, (kimarie91, #3147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I taught myself to knit about 5 years ago while recovering from a surgery (which is when I picked up most crafts I do). After I learned I put it down for a few years then started knitting again late last year.

For my beginner merit badge I chose to knit two dishcloths for a young lady who was recently married to coordinate with her kitchen theme. Even though I had knit baby booties, sweaters, socks, etc. I had never knit a dishcloth and had no idea people even did that.

I also taught a class for 2 sisters and their mother. They are just a few years younger than me, but like myself had never learned to knit. We started with a basic stockinette plain square dishcloth to learn the basic stitch. We are planning another class after summer/school transition settles down.

I was pleased with how they turned out. I'm still working on making them completely square with no skewed beginning edge. I've since made 3 for my own kitchen and a set of crochet and knit cloths for my mom. She said they were too nice to use...I told her to use them! I can always make more! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Kim Hazelrigg, (kimarie91, #3147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I always loved tatted pieces and wanted to learn. The merit badge program prompted me to do so...and I'm glad I did!

I used the video on the MaryJanesFarm website and photos in "MaryJane's Stitching Room" book to teach myself needle tatting. I combined the chain, ring, picot to make a length a little over a yard.

It turned out pretty. I see things to improve upon and will keep working at it. My mom really loved it so I finished up enough for her to use on a new dress. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:38:47 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Icing on the Cake badge.

"I have been decorating cakes for over 32 years now. I was taught by my mother.

I actually own a few beginner cake decorating books and have read them over. I have also read over the Wilton.com website mentioned. I have also been teaching my kids to work with cake decorating tools this past year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  4:42:07 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K, #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a pinkeeper/beginner's sewing kit using a canning jar. I also made a smaller, frog-faced pincushion for my short, hand applique pins. I like the project and can see other versions I can make as gifts in the future.

I had originally thought to give the pin keeper away this weekend to a new sewing friend, but I think I will actually keep this one and make her another!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  4:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K, #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I earned the intermediate level by reviewing and sewing different types of seams by hand and machine, including French, mock flat fell, flat fell, zigzag, running stitch, back stitch, and princess.

I always enjoy a review, and re-visited historical Tudor seaming, all done by hand using back and laced running stitches."

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  10:12:51 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Mathews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"Since I have lived in the place I was born, I thought of all the places I have visited in my county since I have can remember. Living in Western North Carolina, we have a very strong heritage here. The Appalachian Mountain range is where Blue Grass music got it's start, it was the first location where moonshine whiskey began to be made, where Daniel Boone lived and made history, and Tom Dooley and Laura Foster are buried 30 minutes from here. The people who lived here grew up hard because it was so mountainous there was farming, but it took a lot to make it work. There aren't any big cities in our county. People had to make do with what they had. That's why so many people know how to do so much with heritage crafts and lifestyle today. It was passed down through the generations. I learned to crochet, quilt, and can food from my grandmother. My grandfather taught me how to garden. Today we raise rabbits, ducks, chickens, and goats. We drink goat's milk, I make cheese, and we eat the animals we raise. We have a garden and I love to sew and cook. Life is really good right now.

I love that I live where I do. I love that I got to spend my whole life here and I have the heritage I do. I wouldn't have it any other way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  10:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Mathews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Civic Heritage badge.

"After researching my area I would have to say one of my favorite people in history is Daniel Boone. He did so much for that time period. We have a local woman who has done art work on Daniel Boone and she is a wealth of knowledge on his life. I went to visit her to learn more. She has hundreds of acres of land and has had over a dozen old homesteads, a jail, and a local courthouse brought out to her property. You can go tour her Whiperwhill Academy to see what life was like in that time.

I shared in a paper for others who love Daniel Boone and wanted to know more. It was great to gain all the knowledge about him and be able to pass it on. The picture is of one of the events held in our county each year with local bluegrass legends."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  10:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Mathews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Civic Heritage badge.

"I went to the Fort Defiance battle re-enactment. I love going to these, but this one was very meaningful because it was my heritage. They had demonstrations of how to make soap over a fire, cooking back in the Civil War times, clothing they wore, quilting, molassas making, and of course-blue grass.

This was definately worth the time and money to go. Everyone should attend one of these events. It brings you closer to understanding where your forefathers came from and what it took to get the freedom we have now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Mathews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"We planted a garden this spring. At first we only had raised beds, but then a man from down the road came and plowed up a plot in our yard. We planted a spring garden and when it was spent, we planted summer veggies. We also plan to do a fall garden as well. We never used any pesticides since we have ducks, goat, and chickens roaming the yard! We used the goat and rabbit poo for fertilizer and it worked like a miracle. We didn't really have a problem with pests this year so we didn't need to use anything. I read the book and loved the beautiful watercolor illustrations and intimate way Goodwin comunicates with her audience. As much as I loved the illustrations I would have loved for them to all be photographs of her garden in various stage throughout the year. I could never hope to accomplish a garden so formal as this, but I love to dream. :)

Most of the plants we bought at Southern States did well. We also ordered non GMO, non hybrid, heirloom seeds through the mail and to tell you the truth, I was very disappointed. The corn was too tough to eat, the beans didn't product at all, there were only two cantalope plants that made it. The only thing that did good was the cucumbers really. So next year we will buy everything from our friends at Southern States and have no problems." :)

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook album for my husband who is a WW II Veteran. In November he went on the Honor Flight to Washington DC.
I copied photo's from the camera, decorated them, wrote a story to go along with his trip, copied this on pretty paper. I took his Mail Call letters he recieved on the flight, put those in sheet protectors, also his badge and other things he received for the Honor flight.

It turned out to be a special gift to my Husband. It was beautiful. Jerry was very touched with it, he had no idea I was making this rememberance gift for him. Earning this badge gave me the incenitive to make this album."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page