Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  2:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (Annekepenn, #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have recently built my own chicken coop, and now have 7 laying hens and a baby turkey:)

The chickens are happy and healthy and have given me more eggs than I know what to do with!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  3:15:33 PM  Show Profile
Breanna Helgesen, (Breanna, #2507) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"We visit my Great-grandmother for Thanksgiving every year. For the last few years we have gathered round her chair and listened to her stories of when she was growing up and when she struggled through the Great Depression. What an amazing woman- such strength of character! I am so glad that we caught her on tape. She passed away in May and now we have her stories to treasure and pass down. What a blessing.

"G.G." loved sharing with us all. I think it really touched her heart that we were so interested in her life. We all miss her so much."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  3:23:06 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"Using the "Ideabook", I tried out the Lemon and Blueberry Chillover first and later the Brown Sugar and Vanilla one. I also made the Goodness Gracious chicken recipe which I especially liked because that way I could keep the veggies relatively raw in it.

I made the "You're the Apple of My Eye" ChillOver with apples instead of Apple Cider because that's what I had on hand. It turned out great and is my favorite one so far."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  3:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"Tonight I posted my ChillOver recipe on the forum and I hope I did it right. I have never been on the forum before so I just kind of jumped in.

This recipe came about because I still had more apples I needed to eat up after making the one from MaryJane's recipes using them. Days later, I tried it again but didn't have raisins so I substituted dried cranberries instead. My Georgia Farmgirls Chapter Leader, Mary Ann Witcher, loved it when I let her try some of it, and said that it reminded her of the jello recipes she used to have around the holidays as a child."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  3:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"For this badge, I took two recipes from my recipe box that were gelatin ones. These go back to my childhood and say things like "a medium sized can of pineapple" and "six ounces of cream cheese." One was called "Frozen Fruit Salad" and the other one was called "Shamrock Salad." Guess what color of jello the last one used?

I re-did both of these using the ChillOver powder and updating the evaporated milk to coconut milk from a carton, not a can. They tasted like I remember them, but of course, were not lime colored. I had a good time doing this and both recipes are printed up and ready for me to take to our Henhouse tomorrow where we are having a "sew-in"."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  09:33:14 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I learned to sew as a child by making Barbie doll clothes using my mom's leftover fabric scraps. So I definitely know how to sew a straight seam by hand. As a teenager, my mom taught me to sew on her sewing machine, which I still have today. Therefore I know how to sew a straight seam by machine too.

In all of my years of sewing, I have had to do both French seams and Flat fell seams, neither of which I particularly enjoy doing. I don't even finish off my regular seams-I guess you could say that I am a lazy seamstress or maybe impatient is a better word. I'm just too practical. Flat fell seams are what a pair of jeans has down the side and I would never sew a pair of jeans-denim is too heavy and hard to work with."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  10:25:47 AM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I already had a Journal book that said LIFE on he front.
Everyday I wrote at least two things I was grateful for, sometimes more.
It is amazing how when a person sits and counts their blessings how many little things there are in one day they can be Thankful for, even the smallest thing like a Hawk soaring over your property.

Six years ago after my late husband passed away, I started a gratitude journal just to help me through those bad times, I now go back and read that chapter of my life and realize what I actually went through and was grateful for even getting through the next hour. I can take this Journal and look back over time and realize how much I have to be grateful and Thankful for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  10:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I started using recyclable shopping bags 6 years ago. I now have 4 of different colors and kinds in each car. I love the fact that I use these on a regular basis and help save the tree's in our world and help the environment.

These are handy to use, also when I just have a few things to pick up in the grocery store. I use my bag to walk around and load my items in it, then unload at the check out, it's better then pushing a big cart for a few things and I pick up unneeded items. If I happen to get a few plastic bags for whatever reason, I give them to a friend that has estate sales, recycling.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  10:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Janet Ceaglske-Muhich, (#3229) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I was given my first reusable bag from my husbands work. It folded up nicely so you couldn't tell I was carrying it. After that I purchased three more regular bags from the grocery store and also a bag with an extra lining to keep refrigerated items cool. I also bought a reuseable bag from one of the books stores which also works well with library books.

I use them all the time for shopping and even for transporting things other than groceries when I go visiting."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  10:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"For this badge, I took a pair of very vintage khaki jeans that I had already turned into a pair of shorts. After they ripped up too far, I then sewed them into a tote bag by stitching across the crotch and adding handles to it. Then I took my badges, that I had made from muslin that I previously used for making ear candles, and embroidered them with thread that was decades old from my former crafting days.

These badges I then sewed onto the side of the tote bag with vintage buttons that came from my grandmother's button box. I figured that by sewing them on with buttons, I could still go up under them and sew another row around as I get the more advanced accomplishments, (I hope.) I actually spent more than 25 hours on this as I had to figure out which buttons to use on which badges and which badges should go where. I wanted it to have a pleasing look overall. The vintage buttons are all large and that restricted me too, since they took up more space. I'll use this tote to take my Farmgirl notebooks to our Chapter meetings and show off my badges. Braggin' rights!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  11:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"Today we had a Market Bag "Sew in" at the Henhouse for the Georgia Farmgirls chapter in Cumming, GA. I had provided the pattern and instructions for making a Market Bag and Mary Ann Witcher, our leader, had provided a bag full of heavy duty upholstery fabric that we could use for the material. Due to a lot of different circumstances, only one person showed up, but we had a lot of fun together. I showed Rebecca how to decide on some fabric and cut out the pattern, which is reversible with a pocket on the outside and the inside.

Rebecca is a beginning seamstress so she had a lot of questions which I answered for her. After cutting out both the outside and the inside pieces, I briefly told her how they go together and then sent her home with the pattern, instructions, her cut out pieces, the market bag I had made previously, and my phone number in case she had any more questions. I hope to see the finished project at our Craft-in this Thursday!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  11:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Smith, (minismith, #1991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"After positively a zillion years, I took one of my mother's crochet hooks in hand and made a curly scarf!

I was inspired by scarves I had seen and by some alpaca and mohair yarn I had seen at the Farmers Market. The pattern consisted of single and double crochet stitches. Luckily, I actually remembered those! The scarf turned out nicely, as you can see. I've since finished another from a bamboo blend. It's fun!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  12:33:42 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Smith, (minismith, #1991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"My button collection began with buttons salvaged from worn out clothing. I added more through the years as I made my own clothing. My grandmother sewed for the public and these were added after she passed away. Then my mother's were added, and my aunt's. The picture shows only the buttons on cards. I probably have a quart jar of loose buttons.

Well, I'll likely have a button when I need one! Looking through the buttons was bittersweet as I remembered the garments and the now-stilled hands that made them. The collection continues, however!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  1:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi, #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I gathered 6 reusable grocery sacks-the easy part. I committed to using them every time I went to the grocery store. Then the hard part, remembering them. I decided that if I would make myself buy only what I could carry out without a bag when I forgot my bag then I would learn to remember.

After some good-natured teasing from my grocery clerks I now remember my bags. It feels good to do something so easy-except the remembering training."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Kirstina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Nellie Will-do badge.

"Every summer I have made it a tradition to make homemade Christmas ornaments using recycled materials. I give a set of them to each extended family, friends, teachers, and other people.

Over the course of last summer and this summer, I have made a 13 foot garland using wine corks, beads, and dental floss. I have also made ornaments from recycled jeans, Christmas cards, plastic spoons, oxygen tubing, milk rings, medicine cups and a lot more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  1:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"Inspired by MaryJane, my family and I went organic starting about a year and a half ago. This summer, I ordered the Budget Mix, and am hooked on Bakeovers! It has definitely helped my budget. I have used leftovers to create meals, and have made a Bakeover when I was "too tired to cook", which usually would mean "order take out".

This summer, we have also switched not only to organic, but also have gone more than 50% local. We use our garden for herbs and veggies, buy local organic eggs down the street, and have been buying the rest of our produce each Tuesday at the Organic Farmers Market here in town. My husband has been buying our meet from a small butcher near his work selling locally grown, oraganic,grass-fed meats from local farmers. Loving it! Especially the Budget Mix-it's time to order more!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  1:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Organic on a Budget badge.

"Starting in June, we continued to use MaryJane's Bakeover mix. For my daughter's birthday in July, she requested a Bakeover I have been making instead of going out for dinner. We do not eat anything that is not organic or that has chemicals in it. If we stray, our bodies feel it! I have seen our grocery bill going down by at least $20-$30 a week for our family of three by buying locally and by using the Bakeovers. We do "Meatless Mondays", now as well.

I will be ordering more Budget Mix, and have been inspired to bake more, and not eat out! Feels so much better, and in this economy is truly a necessity!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  1:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I have been telling my friends and family the praises of going organic. When friends and family have visited, I have shown them how easy it is to switch from "conventional" to organic, and not feel deprived. Food tastes better and is better. We do not get sick. I have been making homemade bread and jam, and gifting it, as well.

I also wrote a blog entry to inspire others on the Suburban Farmgirl blog, entitled "Going, Going...Gone Organic!" Again, great! I received lots of good feedback, and am happy that others are inspired, too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  1:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a begginer level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"In our journey to go organic, my new excellent skill is baking bread, again inspired by MJF. My hubby is from Europe and fresh baked bread on a Sunday is, well, a habit. We have been buying bread, but read the ingredients on even "bakery fresh" bread and it is filled with bleached flour and all kinds of chemically laden ingredients. Now I make a point of baking bread on Saturday for our Sunday breakfasts. I also have been making homemade "mini-muffins" for my daughter as opposed to the lab-created store-bought bagged ones so popular with her school chums.

Every time I replace a food item with a homemade organic one, I know I am doing a good job as a wife and mother! I continue to try to replicate or replace foods from the store with homemade."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"To continue with replacing foods that are convenience or processed with homemade versions, I now no longer buy ready-made, processed, but make organic homemade versions of: cake and icing (finally found organic powdered sugar!), jam (now made with Chill-over powder), muffins, french fries (we used to go through a frozen bag a week), lemonade, bread, cookies and will be trying MaryJane's cereal recipe this week!

We enjoy food more when it tastes pure and fresh. I have developed a distaste for processed foods altogether. We save our budget by not eating out, and homemade costs so much less! This year has taught me to be a better consumer...I read what is on a label before I eat it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  2:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"All of my friends and family know about my journey to go organic. At each Sisterhood Chapter get-together, I encourage everyone to bring only organically made items. At our last brunch, everything was organic, and we all love to trade recipes with each other. I have inspired two other friends as well as a family member to go organic and delete processed food. It has rubbed off, and even my husband is inspiring his friends and co-workers.

At a party in July, I brought a pot-luck appetizer that was a total hit. I had to give the recipe out to several other guests, and have been invited to be on a radio show this fall about the wonders of eating organic and how MJ has inspired me and improved our lives at my house!

The recipe I took to the party, for instance, I had adapted and made my own organic meatballs as opposed to using pre-made ones. The recipe was delicious, and I have learned to think ahead for all of my menu items, so we do not have to grab convenience or processed foods. Freezing and canning my own makes a difference, too. (And it all tastes so much better!)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  3:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Kirstina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I handed out 70 "What's a Farmgirl?" cards. Most of them were distributed at a family campground, where adults, children and teens gather. This last weekend the campground held a 2 hour program on owls.

Some cards were handed out to anyone who asked about the Farmgirl Sisterhood program. I took them with me to appointments, and when I stirred up a conversation with someone regarding my crocheting/knitting/tatting (or whatever project I had with me), it was a nice way to share MaryJane's website and all that goes with it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I invested in a fabric-lead free hose. I find it easier to use because it is not as heavy to maneuver as the old fashioned rubber ones.

We do not have a fence, but have left much of the landscape natural. We have left the woods in the back intact, as opposed to knocking all the trees down. The front is bordered by lovely wild blackberry and raspberry bushes and we built a "natural" fence by planting butterfly bushes and forsythia as a border along the driveway. They have grown in and are much prettier lining the driveway than a 'real' fence. The butterfly bushes are covered all summer with all types of butterflies, hummingbird moths, and hummingbirds, and the flowers are the most intoxicating scent! Love it!

Loving the flowers and natural beauty, which changes with the seasons. Leaving things more natural also gives us a chance to see more wildlife, despite living in the suburbs. Composting has saved us money in not buying potting soil, and in the fact that we throw less in the kitchen garbage, thus saving us on garbage bags, which are expensive."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level 3R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"Forgot to apply for this one last year, but from September to May, I volunteered to aid my daughter's school with a backyard garden. One of the projects I helped with was creating a female scarecrow. We used jeans and built a t stand for a body. We stuffed her with straw and leaves. For the hair, I donated some of my knitting yarn. She came out so cute! I can't wait to start a new year volunteering with the kids and garden club. It is heart-warming to see how enthusiastic it is, and our back of our school is just beautiful!

The elementary school garden is in a corner behind the gym and library that once was an eyesore. It is a beautiful place now, and I can't wait to volunteer this year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  4:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level 3R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"I love earning this badge, as this has been something I've loved to do for a long time! I repurpose dessert and salad plates as pretty saucers under my plants. Broken teacups' saucers work great under my little small plants like potted herbs. I decorated my flower bed and herb garden with old glass electrical fixtures to catch the light and add color, and used sticks and yarn to build my own tomato cages and trellises for my veggie garden this year.

I love the whole idea of reusing, re-purposing and recycling, especially with my little girl. It's a fun challenge to create something or another use for something than it's original purpose.
Inspired by Earth Day, my daughter and I donned plastic gloves and picked up trash in our neighborhood along the curbs. It inspired us to do this more often, and this summer we have been doing it when we walk the dog. We recycled all the cans and bottles that we found."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page