Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:43:39 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I sit with other moms during my daughter’s dance lessons, swimming, and preschool. We love to talk about saving money. So many were astonished that stores gave discounts when using reusable bags. I also set up a swap on the MJF boards for a reusable bag swap here http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50631

Many of the moms at my daughter’s classes started investing in reusable bags. They had a lot of fun showing them off every week until the class ended in mid-June. As for the reusable bag swap that I hosted on the MJF boards, it went very well. It was my first swap to host and I never realized how much work was involved. A total of 28 farmgirls were involved (including myself). This really was a wonderful badge to earn and I came into contact with so many wonderful new farmgirls."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Julie Felton, (FarmDream, #3069) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I've had a business with friends for almost a year but I'm now expanding in my own direction. I've decided to create my own brand and venture out on my own. I've decided on a name. I'm working with a graphic designer to come up with a logo.

The products I make are already successful. Now I feel more creative and a sense that this is really mine."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Julie Felton, (FarmDream, #3069) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I worked a basic scarf for my daughter. I carefully counted my time, since I needed at least 3 hours. I quit counting after I reached 9 hours.

The scarf is functional and beautifully colored. I learned I have a long way to go to get to my goal of knitting socks. I've already started my intermediate project."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I went through my kitchen and took out any items that I had more than one of and gave them away.

I made a list of all of the kitchen items that I still need and posted it on the inside of my kitchen cabinet.

Turned out great and others enjoyed getting an item that they needed!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  12:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I sharpened my knives with the guidance of Farmgirl 2454 at a chapter meeting and I now keep them sharp all the time - it was a great meeting!

Great! My knives are never dull!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  12:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"Farmgirl 2454 and I enrolled in and completed a ten hour hunters safety course. It was very thorough and is required in the state of Pennsylvania for all first time hunters.It covered gun safety extensively.

It was very informative and we are ready for the next step!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  12:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"We had a great time as a chapter doing this one! We made Chillover's all day! Our favorite hands down was Brown Sugar Vanilla!! We wish we had ordered a larger supply of Chillover Powder!!

Yummy!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  12:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Pam Ossmus, (possmus, #3056) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out my pantry, drawers, and cupboard. I organized spices, tossed unused containers without lids, and organized my pantry.

It turned out great! I am organized and can easily find things!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  09:20:10 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Luther, (nicolebeannelutherq, #3217) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have 50 backyard chickens who I have enjoyed raising for the last five weeks. I look forward to when they start making eggs.

It is turning out great. I have spread the word and will offer to sell a few for my chapter group Wild Lily's so more women can share this amazing experience!"

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  09:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Kathie Tate, (mamakat, #1554) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected at least a dozen reusable bags for shopping. I use them for all kinds of shopping: grocery, clothing, household items, you name it.

It works very well for keeping down the number of plastic bags that accumulate in my home. The reusable bags are sturdier and can stand up on their own, which makes packing things in my trunk much easier than with plastic bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  09:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Luther, (nicolebeanneluther, #3217) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have successful managed to use only 5 plastic bags and my one reusable grocery bag made of recycled paper products.

It has been challenging when with other family members due to more goods than when with just myself. This has made me feel better about the environment, especially the ocean. I have done research on how much damage those bags due to oceanic wildlife."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:02:41 AM  Show Profile
Kathie Tate, (mamakat, #1554) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Public Service badge.

"I have attended local school board/PTO meetings and always check the agenda and board minutes when they are made available. As en employee of the local district, and a parent of three children in the district, I had a special interest in helping develop community awareness and support for a desperately needed tax increase for the district's operating levy. I talked to my friends and neighbors whenever possible to make them aware of the necessity of voting for this issue, or at least, getting out to vote for what they wanted to happen. After two years of trying (and barely failing), the levy passed. I have voted in well over 5 federal, state, and local elections, as I make it a point to vote every time.

Talking to my neighbors and friends helped develop awareness of the need for the tax levy. It finally passed, thanks to many other people who did the same and raised awareness. Whenever there's an election, whether for people or issues, I try to find out as much as possible to educate myself and those I know so we can all make better choices when we vote."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:22:10 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Luther, (nicolebeanneluther, #3217) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have over 150 buttons in my button can!

This was great. I found a lot of them from my grams things I cherish since she is not with is anymore."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee, (KatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I keep a running record of my gas purchases along with my odometer reading, oil changes and any maintenance done. This is just my automobile. In addition to that, I work on our lawn mower, my husband's car, and I'm a full time aircraft mechanic. I tend to make my husband change my oil in my car though. It is something I just don't like to do on cars. :)

I haven't had any luck with the dang lawn mower here lately. Grrr! It is something in the ignition system along with the automatic choke/throttle. I have much better luck with the airplanes and when I've had to change my husband's alternator in his Subaru. The dates are when I started as an aircraft mechanic at my current job through today although this is on going."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee, (KatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I started collecting shopping bags about a year ago. I seldom use anything but them anymore, and now I'm trying to make all of my bags.

So far I've crocheted one bag and stitched another couple. I still haven't found the perfect design that I like. So I will be stitching more from the scrap material I put aside or the remnants I pick up at our local thrift store.

The only time I use plastic bags from the store now is if I need garbage bags for my bathroom, or need one for my car."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith, (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self Sufficiency badge.

"Last year, I dried over 5 bushes of basil, some cilantro and dill, and today, I found a use for them! I mixed up several different spice blends and am looking for a cup of rice to add them to soon.
Well, when I dipped my finger in and tried each one, I was amazed by the different flavors. I'm getting older, but there is always something new out there to try!

I also taped each recipe to the jar, so I can make more once I run out. I like that."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:36:42 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Slam dunk here. I read the book and chuckled through it. I work for Renee Shepard as a Seed Rep for Renee's garden, so needless to say, this was an easy task. ;) I use almost exclusively Renee's seeds and I plant mainly Heirlooms. :)

All has gone well as usual. Love my crazy Italian zucchinis. Trying some different kinds of beans this year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Yep, I save some seeds every year ~ despite the fact I don't need to since I work for Renee ;)
It is still fun to save seeds. And MOST of my gardening is done with heirlooms.

Great. Nice to see the heirloom movement alive and well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Yep, I have re-planted saved seeds for heirlooms and natives. I likely use more like 75 to 95% heirloom seeds. I always work with friends and associates with seeds and share what I have. In my role as a Master Gardener and as a Seed Rep for Renee's Garden I have LOTS of opportunities to work with others on Heirlooms.

\Very happy to continue to spread the excitement of Heirlooms. Way fun things to plant, eat and admire." ;)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  12:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Gracee Brooks, (Countrygramme, #2938) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Know Your Roots badge.

"I sat down with my Mom (now in heaven) when I was 16 years old and have been recording everything ever since. I have taken my roots back on my Mom"s side to the 1200A.D. with LUDWIG II being a distant relative of mine. I took my dad's family back to 700A.D. to the rule of Constantine. It is recorded in an online family tree-Colerich-Brooks Family on Ancestery.com.

We recently had a reunion at my brothers house this past May 2011 and my oldest living relative Aunt Marcella Colarich was the honored guest and I had an opportunity to interview her. She in turn gave me some information regarding my Dad's first wife; which I didn't have a lot of info about. I only have a cassette recording my Dad made in 1982 stating this. I am in the process of getting information printed and distributed to my family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  1:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I do know where most of my food was grown as I have made the effort to find local farmers for meat, eggs and milk, plus I patronize local farmer's markets and grow my own food myself. I read Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable and Miracle", and even took notes from it because she lives in Virginia, close to where I live in Georgia. So what she does closely coincides with what I should do as far as growing veggies is concerned.

I sprout lentils and mung beans, as those are the easiest, and I have been working on new dishes to make for my Recipe book that is, hopefully, coming out soon. I've made more than 10 new dishes and it's been great to expand my repertoire of foods to eat. There is never any hydrogenated oils in my house or any artificial sweeteners. I make many fruit desserts that will be in my new book as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  1:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"I'm increasing the amount of organic food I eat by as much as possible, which is easier now that I am growing my own. I have a list of CSA's and local farms and growers on my web site www.HealthyEatingOnTheRun.com which is hopefully allowing more people to use them. I've been coming up with more recipes utilizing fruit alone as the sweetener and I make a mean Mango Macadamia nut pie. It's my favorite!

There are never any HFC'S in my house ever. I've been working on new recipes for my upcoming Recipe Book that I hope to publish soon and all the recipes are wheat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and artificial sweetener-free. I read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and was just blown away by the scope that Michael Pollen covered in it. It's a must-read for everyone, in my opinion."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  2:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Know Your Food badge.

"I did a presentation at our local GA Farm Girls meeting last September on what constitutes healthy eating and brought package labels so that people would have a visual of what they were looking for when they went to stores to buy food. I also talked to and profiled the local people who grow grass-fed, grass-finished beef and pork and put that on my web site www.HealthyEatingOnTheRun.com.

At least 50% of my food is local and organic during the summer months when I can get it as far as veggies are concerned. As far as meat, eggs and milk are concerned, it is ALWAYS local and organic. I'm still looking for a source for local organic chicken, though. One place I tried was "green-washing" so I didn't go back. I've read "In Defense of Food" as well. Michael Pollen writes very compelling books."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  2:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I've been trying out new organic food recipes for a bit now. I have finally found a way to eat chard! I grew some one year and it was so bitter it was awful. I tried to destroy that plant every which way I could and it just kept coming back up. The only way I killed it was by taking all of the soil out of the pot. But it's tenaciousness made me think that maybe I should reconsider.

I have found a way to eat both kale and chard and now I love them and actually grow them myself. Many times you just have to keep trying recipes until you find something that works for you. Some of the new organics that I have tried are Flashy Troutback lettuce and Sugar Snap peas, both of which are very pretty and delicious."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"I've been working on trying new organics now for several months as I am now growing my own organic garden. I have Bright Lights Chard and Beauregard Sweetpotatoes (the official proper spelling of it now) plus three different kinds of bush beans, all heirloom. I've made some new squash recipes too with the old standby of yellow crookneck squash.

My biggest success so far, in my opinion, is making brownies out of oatmeal flour and, of all things, zucchini! They are delicious. I also made zucchini ice cream which is so creamy and smooth I couldn't believe it. It looks like pistachio ice cream. Now mothers can get more fresh veggies into their children and they won't even know it. It's all sugar-free and artificial sweetener-free too. I'm having such fun!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page