Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I called our local EMC (Electrical Membership Corporation) and found out that, unfortunately, our electricity is coal generated. Some small amount is from hydropower from the dam at Carter Lake, but not nearly enough. That would be optimum, but it just won't work well.

I have researched alternative energy for my area but our choices are limited. Wind power is not an option because we just don't have it consistent enough. There are two nuclear power plants in Georgia but after the Japan incident, I want nothing to do with that. Coal is plentiful in this area, unfortunately, and is the cheapest source of electricity. I wish it weren't so, but it is."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I finally got all my storage containers sorted out! All of them have lids and the lids fit. It's such a great feeling! It sure works a lot better too.

On top of all that, I organized my pantry selves and used some of those containers to corral things of like nature. I threw out some items that were from 2007! They had gotten lost in the back but never again. Now I know what I have and what I will need in the future. No more forgotten items - I'm free now!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"Before cleaning out my pantry, I went through my entire kitchen and reorganized everything so that I could get to it easily and find everything. Any duplicates or items I "might need some day" went out into a storage unit in the garage. Now I can easily maneuver everywhere I go within my organized kitchen.

It certainly made preparing food in the kitchen a whole lot easier. Items were placed on shelves within cabinets to free up space and utilize it efficiently. I can now find things quickly and easily. I should have done this years ago!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:20:30 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I made my own version of a raw granola cereal that is delicious! It's all made of organic ingredients and is wheat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and artificial sweetener-free. It's guilt-free too! Besides which, it tastes great.

I have taken this cereal with me on trips and can eat it in a hotel room as a snack or as breakfast with a container of Rice milk or Almond milk. It saves me money and my health."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:24:05 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I have successfully come up with a few different muffin recipes that are wheat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and artificial sweetener-free. One is a blueberry cranberry one which is perfect for the 4th of July!

One muffin is a sausage muffin which is a great breakfast item if you have to run out the door at the last minute. I call these Grab and Go Goodness."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I just set up a Square Foot Garden in my front yard this year because that is the only place that gets enough sun. Actually, I have three raised beds out front and one on my back deck just for strawberries.

All of the soil that went into the raised beds is without any pesticides and I have not used any synthetic fertilizers, just manure. Creating the best soil means that I should have healthy plants that can stand any pest attacks so therefore I have not had to use any pesticides. The season is young, so we shall see, but I am committed to growing it all organically.

I read the book "Montrose: Life in a Garden" and realized that the garden was in the same zone that I live in up in the North Georgia mountains. Therefore, I took notes from the book (which I got from the library) on what flowers to plant and when to plant them at my home. I'll see how well I do with them as opposed to how Nancy did. It was a very entertaining read."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I actually have done both of these. I have a compost pile in three bins and have had it for about six months. I am also starting a worm composting bin and am learning how to get that "black gold".

The book I have on this is called "The Worm Book" by Loren Nancarrow and Janet Hogan Taylor. Plus we learned about it my Master Gardening class this year. Since I have just started it, I don't know how it will turn out just yet."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I kept searching until I found a local source for free-range eggs in my neighborhood. Now I actually know of four! I regularly use one that is run by two boys, now ages 11 and 15, whose job it is to take care of the chickens. They feed them as organically as possible.

I have also found out that Mary Ann Witcher, the founder of our Georgia Farm Girls here, raises chickens and I bought some eggs from her a few months ago when the boys were having trouble with snakes getting their eggs. I love my free-range eggs! They are so nutritionally superior to store-bought ones."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:42:42 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I have 80% of my garden planted with heirloom varieties! I have saved my own bean, pepper, tomato, squash, sunflower, cucumber and pumpkin seeds with success!

I am so happy that I am able to be self sufficient and save my own seeds! I want to try to save my own pea seeds this year!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:49:15 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"This year I have my garden planted 80% heirloom varieties. If it weren't for my onions and corn it would be 100% heirloom! I am getting there! I have been saving seed for a few years, last year was my first serious seed saving year. I planted some of my saved seeds this year and they grew! I should say they are growing!

This year I am trying to save my own peas in addition to the other seeds I already do save. I want to save my own corn next year but since I didn't plant an heirloom variety this year I will not be saving those seeds. I have been sharing my experience and a few of my relatives are starting to show an interest in saving their seeds! I have offered my help if they want it this year to save their own seeds! I have already given away some of my wildflower seeds that I have saved and they have grown for family members!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"I used tin can lids for row markers except I didn't use the punched method since I didn't like the back edges. I have little hands "helping" me in the garden and they like shiny things. Instead of the punched method I used permanent marker and wrote down what is in the row. In a different color I added a funny line. On top of "Pumpkins" I put "Cinderella's coach" so it reads "Cinderella's Coach Pumpkins" and so on, it is pretty funny. To hold them up I super glued some red and white gingham ribbon to tie to the row markers. My garden is starting to look pretty nice! Now I just need to make a scarecrow girl!

It turned out great! When visitors come they get a kick out of the row markers! Plus they are safe for little fingers! I will post a picture on my blog as soon as I have time!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:00:28 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made my own trellis for my garden for the cucumbers, zucchini, peas, pumpkins, and pole beans. The pole beans got an extra heavy duty version of my trellis!

I think it will work out very well! I can't believe how easy it was to make my own trellis. I will never buy a store bought flimsy one again! What a waste of money! Plus a store bought one would take me double the amount of time to untangle and then put it up. I'm hooked on homemade!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:08:31 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"Goodness, I did this back in May and never applied for the badge yet! I did this for two weekends in a row. It was bliss! I didn't turn back on the phone, internet or TV until Monday afternoon!

It was so nice to relax. It was really nice to have a simplified weekend just with the family and catching up on organizing and tossed aside projects!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:23:40 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend, (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"We went camping with some extended family this past weekend. It was nice to get away, I got to meet cousins I never met before, got a 5 generation picture with my Great- Grandma (who is now a Great-Great Grandma!) It was a very special time!

We have great memories, some great photos and I hope we can do it again soon! It was too short of a time! I wish we could have spent a whole week out there!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"This year for my garden, I went in with a friend of mine an bought heirloom seeds. I planted four heirloom tomatoes: Anna's Russian, Box Car Willie, Brandywine and Red Zebra. Also, my squash plants, bell peppers, beans and snap peas are heirlooms along with my watermelons.

I'd say about half of my garden is in heirloom seeds and so far, all are doing well except the Anna's Russian tomato plant. I may lose it but the others are all growing well so far."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"After much research, I finally found a farm 15 miles away from me that has been in existence since 1840 in the same family. They just never changed the way they raised their animals so they are grass fed and grass finished. They sell them from their farm and are USDA inspected so all is legal.

I've been buying beef, pork, eggs and milk (for pet consumption only per the laws of the state of Georgia) from them for about a year now and continue to go to them approximately once a week. The eggs are free-range and the milk is raw. I love it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"Actually, I put the information about this on the beginner application by mistake. I have watched the movie "Farm, Inc." so I know how CAFOs operate, plus all the research I've done. This information is posted on my website www.HealthyEatingOnTheRun.com.

Reading how most farm animals are raised in CAFOs made me go out and actively research how I could get good grass-fed, grass finished beef and I found a local farm that did this. I've read Michael Pollan's books "Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food" and those are real eye openers too.

I bought myself a copy of "BEEF: the Untold Story of How Milk, Meat and Muscle Shaped the World." It was fairly entertaining but the authors used 25 cent words all the time when 10 cent ones would have done just fine.

They mention Will Harris of Whiteoak Pastures in the book. It states that he is in Tennessee, but he is in south Georgia instead, and meat from his grass-fed, grass-finished cows can be purchased at Whole Foods and Natural Foods Warehouse.

I purchased his meat until I found a local farm in my area with the same practices. If you can't find a local grower in your area in the South, I would recommend buying meat from Whiteoak Pastures. It's terrific!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:51:17 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"The resort at which I work has a riding stable and I finally took the time to go on a one-hour ride with them. They happened to have a Tennessee Walker, which is my favorite breed of horse. They are so smooth and easy to ride.

We went on a one-hour trail ride and I got to see areas of the resort and surrounding National Forest that I have not ever seen before. It was a beautiful trip but boy, was I ever sore when I got off! It's been 30 or more years since I have been on a horse."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:55:40 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made a trellis for my friend's Square Foot Garden by using the upright metal parts of a Tomato Tree left over from last year, left-over 6" wide deer netting, and cable ties. It's attached to the sides of her raised bed garden with clamps and screws.

It works great and is really strong. She already has squash and bean plants growing up it and it holds them very well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level In the Garden badge.

"I don't buy tin cans out of concerns about BPA (Bisphenol A) in the can linings and lids so therefore can't use them in my garden or make a birdhouse using them. However, I have made a raised vegetable bed.

My raised beds are Square Foot Gardens and they are up on two foot legs made of scrap lumber. That way I don't even have to bend over to tend to them. I painted them with left-over paint from the exterior of our house so that they match because they are out in front of the house since that's the only place that gets any sun. I have four of them and they are all growing great guns."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Debi Chandler, (herb19355, #2515) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have organized my most common used buttons by color and/or shapes. I have a set of small plastic boxes with compartments that I use to organize the buttons.

It makes it very easy to find buttons to sew and to check out what additional buttons I might need.

I also put a collection of a group of "old/Odd Buttons" in a tin and store it in cookie tin. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I took a small piece of leftover material from making my apron and sewed up the sides, leaving the end open. I stuffed it full of leftover cotton from pill bottles and sewed the end shut. I took a small piece of elastic leftover from some project and put that on the sewn shut end, making a loop that will fit around my wrist.

I put needles with different colors of thread, straight pins and safety pins in it and put it in a box with buttons and a pair of scissors. Now it is a pinkeeper that I can wear on my wrist when doing a project and have everything I need at my fingertips. (Or at least on my wrist.)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:30:14 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Over the course of several days, I made a half apron from a pattern. It has pockets on it and is made from a piece of material that has fruits (strawberries and cherries) on it.

It looks cute and works well but don't look too closely at it. I totally forgot about matching the lines of it and got one line matching, but didn't realize that it was upside down, so the other parts don't match exactly. It's not really that noticeable and, after all, it's a utilitarian apron. It works and that's what counts."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I found my grandmother's old button box which is a metal tin like they used to have in the old days. I corralled all of my stray buttons from all of their nooks and crannies and corners and put them all in this heirloom button box.

This was such fun because my grandmother was a dressmaker and ALL buttons went into this box. When an item became too worn out to wear, it was stripped of anything usable, including buttons, and then used as a rag or to make a quilt. I saw buttons from my prom dress and many other childhood items so it was a trip down memory lane for me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made two head rests for my friends loveseat.

They are cute albeit the material says PITT."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page