Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  4:08:03 PM  Show Profile
Kristen Morton, (kfiles, #2596) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought over 6 reusable shopping bags and have committed to using them.

I LOVE my bags!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  4:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"This past Christmas, I dreamed of a handmade Christmas and decided to make all my gifts. I chose rice bags because it's something a guy or gal would enjoy and use. I bought fabric, a huge bag of rice and some great smelling organic tea. I sewed two pieces of fabric together and poured a mix of rice and tea into each bag using a funnel. Then sewed the last hole up. I included a little tea stained card explaining uses and care for the bag. I also dehydrated orange slices to tuck into decorations and for use on our tree.

The rice bags were a HUGE hit with everyone! We even heated one up and passed it around so everyone would experience the rice bag. I was really excited that I made my gifts and it was really appreciated by everyone.
The orange slices turned out beautiful! It reminded me of stained glass. We had lots of compliments on my very simple but handmade Christmas decorations."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  4:42:07 PM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We have a small herd of horses, seven to be exact. One was purchased, the others are all rescues obtained from various situations. We have one Egyptian Arabian gelding, one Black & White Paint mare, two Tennessee Walkers, three Quarter horses, two of which are Palominos. They are all beautiful and each have a unique personality.

When I married my husband, I entered the world of horses. I have learned so much since they entered my life. They are such a beautiful animal and bring me so much joy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  4:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson, (JThomp, #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button bracelet using some buttons from my collection!

It was a lot of fun and turned out nicely."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  10:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Kristen Morton, (kfiles, #2596) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have switched over all of my household cleaning products to a green product and continue to use them on a daily basis.

I love how it feels to get those chemicals out of my home out and out of the environment!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  10:28:53 AM  Show Profile
Debi Chandler, (herb19355, #2515) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"When my husband and I got married last summer, we moved right down the road from his grandmother, mother, sister and nephew. On our first family holiday (Thanksgiving) I brought a deck of Uno cards and we had a grand time. For Christmas, Santa brought Kenneth a fancy Scrabble board and two decks of cards.

My own family (grandchildren) are far away. I recently purchased a new phone and now I can send them short stories via video camera right on the phone. I enjoy taking the time to read to Haylie, Rylie and Keslis and am comforted to know that even if they are 683 miles away, they still know what Grammie sounds like and the funny faces she can make.

We now go to Kenneth's folks house almost every Saturday night for games and dessert. It has been a real treat getting to know his family better over the Scrabble board or from behind a handful of cards (with three of a kind in my hand)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  10:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Jamie Sweeney, (SunnyJam, #2504) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've always held onto errant buttons and the "extras" that come with new clothes, but since joining the Sisterhood I've especially been trying to track some down to meet the 50 required for this badge. What finally put me over the top, appropriately enough, was a Farmgirl Easter swap with debtea2 who included a little jar of buttons in her package of goodies. I now have over 70 buttons saved up, none of them purchased!

Having a nice variety of sizes in neutral colors has been very handy, as a recently repaired blouse and pair of pants can attest. I'm really looking forward to collecting some more unusual buttons and coming up with a craft idea for the intermediate badge."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  10:47:54 AM  Show Profile
JoAnn Timmel, (mollybee, #385) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I had a dream to own my own bakery. So I applied for a loan and started a bakery called "Cobblestone Farm Bakery & Cafe."

I found a place to rent and turned into a charming country bakery. Opening day was Nov. 29, 2010. I sold donuts, cakes, pies, breads, muffins and lots more. Breakfast and lunch menu also. I sold the business on Apr. 11, 2011. My new business is called
"Cobblestone Cake & Cupcake Decor." I now offer edible cake and cupcake decorations for the do-it-yourself at home. I teach women how to decorate their own bakery style desserts."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:09:11 AM  Show Profile
April Hager, (goldtowngal, #1044) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've had a huge collection of reusable bags for many different sorts of shopping trips for several years. My large sturdy, not so pretty bags go to the grocery store with me. I have a very large one just for large cereal or paper goods purchases. I keep a small one folded up in my coupon caddy in case I forget to bring one in a drug store with me. I have prettier, neat ones to take in a department store. I've also made bags to give as gifts. I try to keep a few bags in each of our vehicles and by the front door so that I remember to take them to the store with me.

I've finally decided to use my own homemade laundry detergent exclusively. It's effective on soiled laundry as well as delicate items.
I've also discovered how effective cleaning with vinegar and baking soda can be against shower scum!
Eventually, I'd like to figure out a homemade alternative to dishwashing liquid.

I love being able to carry my groceries in only a few sturdy shopping bags instead of all that tricky plastic. It feels good to take control of the amount of trash my family generates in this area as well. I would always recycle my plastic bags if they didn't get re-used, but that is still a hassle and a waste of resources.
Occasionally, I'll make an unplanned trip to the store and get caught without my bags, or not take enough in with me, but that doesn't often happen, since I’ve developed a habit of using them.
Using homemade laundry detergent costs my family of 7 about 50 cents per week and I love not having to be exposed to the harsh chemicals of the store bought formulas. Besides, it’s fun to make!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Judy King, (Patchwork Peace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"My daughter and I chose this as a project for our "Mom-Daughter Day". We decided to replicate the Little Debbie apple coffeecake. Quite frankly, we don't eat processed food so we had no idea what it would taste like. Now I know why we don't eat processed snacks! We decided to alter the Better Homes & Garden's fruit coffee cake recipe to use organic ingredients and to change the way it is layered so it would look closer to the Little Debbie coffeecake.

Here is our recipe:

Filling:
2 cups peeled, chopped organic apples
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Naturally Preferred organic sugar
2 Tbsp Rumford organic cornstarch
---------------------------------
Coffeecake:
1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill unbleached flour
3/4 cup Naturally Preferred organic sugar
1/2 tsp Rumford aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 tsp pure baking soda
1/4 cup Private Selection organic butter, cut up
1 Naturally Preferred (cage free, grain fed) egg
1/2 cup Blue Diamond natural almond milk
1/2 tsp Private Selection organic vanilla
-------------------------------
Topping:
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill unbleached flour
1/4 cup Naturally Preferred organic sugar
2 Tbsp organic butter

The taste was great. I'm not enough of a cook to know for sure, but I assume that all the "junk" is what gives the Little Debbie coffee cake the caramel-colored look to the topping, as well as the perfect texture. However, I'll take our moister, tastier version any day!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I used old t-shirts to make a rag rug.

I cut old t-shirts into long pieces about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. I then crocheted them into a round rag rug. This was more difficult because t-shirts stretch and I had to keep taking it out and starting over."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:39:36 AM  Show Profile
Cassilynn Brown, (#2945) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I'm expecting my second child, a boy, who is due on July 5th this year, plus my sister is expecting her third and will pop before me in May. Most of the items I made were clothing for the incoming babies. Other items included small birds for a mobile, curtains for my oldest daughter's room, two purses, and some decorative felted hearts, also for my daughter's room.
Nellie Will Do
Beginner Level:
2 kimonos – 4 hours
Bias tape x 2 (used on the kimonos) – 3 hours
Pants x2 – 4 hours
Diaper cover – 3 hours
Felted Hearts – 2 hours total for both.
Small birds for mobile 4 total – 1.5 hours for all.
Another Brown Bag (green and orange purse) – 4 hours
Kayla’s Curtains (lined) – 2.5 hours
Red Bag – 1 hour
Total time spent sewing and felting 25

I love the idea of custom bias tape, but man what a pain in the keister. The first set I made was for another kimono for a friend's baby (made prior to joining the sister hood). It was a learning experience, so I tried a different approach with these two batches. Worked better, but still makes me wonder if it's worth the effort. I love the kimono's, because they go together quickly and are extremely adorable. The same with the pants, which are reversible. I'm having fun making clothes for the incoming babies. The curtains were easy, and much needed. However, once I finished them and got them up, I had to go back and run another seam to create the ruffle at the top to fill a gap between the hanger and the top of the window (we cheated and used a quilt hanger from storage). My daughter complained loudly about it, but is adjusting well. The purse labeled "Another Brown Bag" was the most ambitiously decorated item made, since I created a custom label with a small ruffled edge. I became frustrated with the ruffle and almost left it off. My husband ribbing me over it did not help either. I'm glad I did however, because I received many compliments and “You did this?!” I loved the idea of the label so much; I wound up making tags for all the clothing, "Another Brown Rag." I thought it was clever considering my last name is Brown. The purse sadly was smaller than anticipated, so my daughter, Bug, wound up with it and I threw together the really fast and simple red purse. The diaper cover was the most challenging item, since I was working with PLU, or is it PUL? Not sure, but it is water proof fabric. I wound up having to place a piece of butcher paper over it to get it to run through my sewing machine. I should have followed the directions to the letter and used fold over elastic. I have ordered some and will try to knock out a few more before my son is born since we are cloth diapering him. Over all, very satisfied with everything made!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:46:03 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian, (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I have had a little veggie garden for a few years now. This is the first year that I'm starting out totally organic. I thought finding organic choices would prove to be difficult, because most nurseries display all kinds of toxic chemicals everywhere, but organic products are becoming more widely available.
I researched ways to control pests in the garden, such as crop rotation and ordering ladybugs off the internet!
Just finished reading Montrose, life in a garden.

I planted lettuce in a spot that my tomato plants used to call home. I plan on ordering ladybugs to control my aphid problem.
Reading Montrose, Life in a garden really mde me feel like I wanted to grab my garden gloves and jump right into the book. I was inspired to look at all the gardens around my property in a different light. Our gardens should be a reflection of who were are, just like our homes. The sketches in the book were just beautiful."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Debi Chandler, (herb19355, #2515) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I would like to offer two of my projects for your consideration. I recently finished an Alphabet Sampler for my bedroom. It is cross-stitched and has been in the works for quite a time.

In addition, my mom and sister are avid seamstress. Mom's eyesight is not what it used to be and she is having problems threading her needles. She has several needle threaders, but I want to make her something different, unique and easy to use.

I took a small square of felt and stitched a loop of #6 fishing twine through it. (Now I have a knot on the back and a loop on the front). I threaded a dozen needles on the loop on the front (putting the loop right through the eye of the needle. Now when mom wants to thread a needle. She simply puts the thread through the loop in the fishing twine and pulls the next needle off the loop of fishing twine, and it pulls the thread throught the eye of the needle. I folded the felt in half to make a booklet, where mom can now store her unthreaded needles and I embroidered her initial on the front."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Casey Quast, (blackfell_farmgirl, #2927) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have always loved horses. About five years ago I discovered the gypsy breed through a friend and have been able to get upclose and personal. One in particular named Anthony.

Go to www.rideagypsy.com and you can see the horses. My full name is Casey Quast and you can email Bruce and Shauna if you like.

They are the sweetest horses!

It turned out AWESOME as I get to ride the gypsies and a red appaloosa named Cayenne. Thanks!!

I have purposefully given a year below. I am working on the book for the intermediate and Bruce and Shauna know of a rescue place for me to look into. This is ongoing I hope, for the rest of my life! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:27:26 PM  Show Profile
Cassilynn Brown, (#2945) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I actually made two half aprons for this badge, only because I was using similar fabrics and wanted to whip up a quick Mother's Day present. I used Simplicity pattern 2298 and dug around in my stash for the fabric. Since I assembly lined the two aprons, I spent about 4 hours on the project.

Both aprons turned out well. I used two fabrics of the same pattern, but different colors. Because of this, I kept changing my thread out until I remembered I had inherited my mother-in-law's sewing machine. One face palm later, I had the two side by side and was able to move quicker by jumping between the two machines. If I made a mistake on one, I remembered not to do it on the other. I conned my daughter into posing with me for the picture, but will let my Mom pick which she wants for Mother's Day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Dena Sawka, (dena beans, #2989) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I am so excited to be applying for my first badge as a sister! I chose the going green badge to be my first. I have to say, the guilt of being environmentally irresponsible has been bugging me for awhile. I found this to be an excellent place to start! Getting rid of the old stuff was frankly, easy. AMAZING how much more room there is when I cleared out under my sinks. Something else I got rid of was my Swiffer. I was horrified to read on here a thread about how the chemicals in the solution can be harmful to animals. Our American Mastiff (who is a glorified rug!) kept getting hot spots, leading to expensive vet bills and a sore behind. I ditched the Swiffer and bought a Shark. No chemicals! (And it didn’t hurt that the floor is WAY cleaner!) I also followed one of the threads and made the orange infused vinegar. Can’t say the family is thrilled with the smell before it dries, but the cleaning it does is well worth it! I am using Kosher salt to scrub my pans. Awesome on cast iron! I got on youtube and got a recipe for dishwasher soap: baking soda, kosher salt and borax. Vinegar in the rinse. SO much cheaper! And it does the job.
The soap thing was the next thing to tackle. I have really sensitive skin so I was a bit nervous about this one. I decided to use the Duggar recipe for laundry soap. I searched high and low for the Fels Naphtha soap and couldn’t find it. I came super close to ordering it online and decided if the goal was to be more eco friendly, then spending the incredible amount of energy to have it sent to me and wasting fossil fuel seemed counter productive. Instead, I went with Zote soap that I found at my local Home Depot. The stuff, again, is SO cheap!!! It is almost ½ the cost of the Fels Naptha and it smells good to boot. I don’t find adding the essential oils is needed. I was so excited about the laundry soap I put some in left over jars (like jelly, peanut butter, etc) and gave some to family. I have included the recipes for my new found cleaners and passed them out with the jars. Most of them are amazed at how a.) cheap it is and b.) that it’s all natural!
I have found the internet is full of tips and ideas for going green. I have created a list of favorites that I am using.
Can’t do any pics yet, the camera is out of commission right now.

P.S. I donated all of the cleaning products I got rid of."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I decided to make Maternity Hospital Gowns for my friends having babies and etsy. All of the seams had to be a finished zig zag edges inside to be washable, straight seams all around. The shoulders had to be flat seams and the front had to be French seams.

The Hospital Gowns are a huge hit, my friends were quite happy with them and they can’t wait for their babies to come so they get put to good use."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Bleiler, (Taos Lyn, #2702) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I made these five bean bags (actually fiber filled) from scraps of fabric which were pre-washed in vinegar water.

These turned out well. I will be dropping them off in a pretty bag with tag describing that they are safe toys at our local Community Against Violence shelter."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Bleiler, (Taos Lyn, #2702) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"These hand made garden rabbits were made from a pattern using soft washed burlap fabric.

I'm very happy with the way they turned out, and my friend and her grand daughter who I gave them to seem to love them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  1:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Judy King, (Patchwork Peace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Families Forever badge.

"I kept a journal of TV watching for the past week. We watched a total of 6 1/2 hours. When we watch TV it is as a family and we are conscientious about the quality of the program and the need for priorities. We will need to reduce our TV watching by 1 hour (20%).

This was a good reminder about the need for priorities and relationships."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  2:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I chose a pattern from "Retro Aprons" by Cindy Taylor Oats. In order to preserve the book, I traced the apron onto grid fabric before doing anything else. After purchasing the fabric and ric-rac I made the apron. Not including the shopping trip the entire project took me two hours.

I enjoyed this pattern and have since made three more. I tend to wear it out (I don't want to get this one dirty)!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  2:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"This time I chose a "Daisy Kingdom" pattern. This particular apron does not tie, it goes over your head and crosses over itself in the back, thus fully covering your sides and bottom. The pockets are pleated, and I choose to make my own bias tape (something I had never tried before). The whole project took me about 4 hours.

Making my own bias tape was VERY time consuming, but I love it! Now I am making it for all my projects, no more store bought for me. I love this apron, it is by far the one I now wear the most. I have not only worn it out shopping, but to a fair to stay clean. This pattern is one I want to adapt for my niece."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  2:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Spinning badge.

"I earned the beginner level of this badge by getting my hands on some fibers! I visited the Battenkill Fibers factory where I was able to tour the facility and see the process step by step from wool fleece to yarn. It was fascinating! I was able to use some hand carders with wool fibers, as well as see the large carding drum in action. At the end of the tour I purchased some wool roving to play with at home; it has been carded, combed and drafted into a long snakelike coil. I was able to see a drop spindle and decided that I could probably make my own, which is what I will be doing for the intermediate level of this badge.

(Check out my fiber facility at http://www.battenkillfibers.com )"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  2:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Spinning badge.

"I earned the intermediate level of this badge by learning how to spin some yarn! I had to first make my own drop spindle which was a very simple process. I used a hole saw to cut a circle from a piece of wood to make the whorl. Then I drilled a hole in the center of my whorl which was just slightly smaller than a 10” piece of dowel that I had. I sanded the disk smooth. Then I sanded one end of the dowel just enough for it to be pushed into the center of the whorl and tapped it into place. The final step was to drill a small hole into the end of the dowel that is closest to the whorl. I screwed a cup hook into this small hole. Ta-da! I used my spindle to spin out the two balls of roving that I bought at Battenkill Fibers.(For wonderful tutorials on spinning, check out “theartofmegan” on Youtube.com) This gave me two small balls of yarn, one natural and one pink. I made a return trip to Battenkill for advice on the plying part of my yarn making adventure (and to buy more roving, of course!). Unfortunately, no one there spins on a drop spindle, but they were able to give me enough advice that I came home and successfully plied a ball of candy cane striped yarn. It is very chunky since I am a novice spinner, but it will be perfect for a weaving project or to make a tea pot pad. I purchased more roving and will construct a lighter spindle so that I can practice spinning my fleece into a finer thread for plying.

The best part of this project is that wherever I take my spinning, people are drawn in by it and sit, relaxed, just watching me spin. It is mesmerizing!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page