Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  4:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian, (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have always wanted to learn how to crochet. I read books. Even watched an instructional DVD-- no luck, I felt like I was all thumbs! Then the High School offered a 5 week class, and I was determined to learn!
And I did!!

I'm still very much a beginner, I've only made scarves, dishcloths, and a blanket for my husband. I'm ok with that! I find it very therapeutic.
I taught my daughter Katie how to single crochet, and she is aiming high and making a blanket for her bed!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  4:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I have first aid kits assembled for my Chevy, my husband's mini-van, both of our bathrooms, my camper, and my backpack. I periodically update the contents and keep them full of band aids, ointment, and alcohol pads. We changed the batteries in all of our smoke detectors and made sure they all worked. I bought a fire extinguisher for the kitchen. We installed a CO detector, now required by the insurance company. I have also been learning about wilderness medicine and purchased a deck of cards that will clip to my backpack and will help me identify wild edibles and medicinal plants.

I am grateful that, other than a band-aid, I have never had to handle any kind of urgent first-aid when I have been away from home and a doctor!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  4:49:36 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level First Aid badge.

"I have earned the intermediate level of the First Aid badge by receiving training in CPR and water safety by a volunteer from our firehouse who came and taught our 4H group. We also attended a home fire safety course at the Firehouse, an annual event in Argyle. I have covered wilderness safety with my kids as young scouts, again in 4H, and at various workshops and 4H programs whenever we can attend. I find the training helpful, no matter how many times I hear it.

The best training I ever received was watching a TV episode of “911” which was about 911 calls from men who were en route to the hospital with wives giving birth to babies in the car. A few weeks later when I was attending my girlfriend's homebirth, I was incredibly grateful for the advice those 911 operators were giving to those men on that show. My girlfriend's midwife did not show up in time and I had to play mid-wife! I heard those operators in my head saying, “Support the head and wait for the shoulders” over and over. Fortunately my friend was well prepared and had everything we needed at hand. I delivered her precious baby and was just fascinated by the little body there in my hands! I got to announce “It's a girl!” to her and her husband who also had two young sons. This past summer, on June 13, her daddy asked me, “Do you remember where you were 14 years ago?”

How could I forget!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  4:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I have continued my beginning goals for another month, and I have added a couple more good habits. I am spending time in scripture and prayer on a regular basis, flossing my teeth (why do I hate that so much??), drinking several cups of water each day, taking vitamins that my doctor recommended (vitamin D and daily C) and trying to get to bed at night at a decent hour to insure proper rest. I find that when I expend energy in a physical way during the day, I sleep much sounder at night, so my walks and exercise are helpful for this.

Here is a photo from one of my walks, taken while visiting my brother and sister-in-law in Beverly, Mass. We took the kids to the shore where we enjoyed the first lovely spring day of the year!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  4:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I have done something that I have dreamed of doing for many years...joined a line dancing group!! I am having fun and getting exercise—so great for my legs and for balance. I'm over the achy calves stage and I'm actually getting the hang of it. I started with some beginner classes, attended a few intermediate classes, and have settled in at the advanced beginner level. I have three nights available to me so I make all of the classes that I can during the week. And I'm finally breaking in the lovely Tony Lama cowgirl boots that my dear husband gave me for Christmas...yeah!!

Here is a photo of my kids and me dancing to “Cottoneye Joe” together!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Dyeing for Color badge.

"I earned this level of Dyeing for Color by dyeing a large piece of muslin for a United States map using a coffee bath as described in June/July's issue of MaryJane's Farm Magazine. I created a conversation thread on the website describing my project and included photos of the process. I appreciate the coffee bath process as it allows me to dump the waste into my compost pile. The vinegar rinse is also a nice way to set the dye and it freshens my sink when drained off.

I am happy with the results and look forward to using this method again on other projects. I also look forward to finishing my yet unfinished map project!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Dyeing for Color badge.

"I earned the next level of Dyeing for Color by trying some new dyeing techniques and saving samples for a “swatch” file. I explored some natural dye processes including tea leaves and vegetable dyes. One of my failures was a t-shirt dyed with some lovely beet juice—it didn't work. It made the white cotton shirt a beautiful light burgundy, but the color ran out when I rinsed it. Since laundering, it has become a muddy color that looks as though I left the shirt in a ditch for the winter. I read up on natural dyes and learned that beets never work with any fiber to create a red color...they always turn brown or yellow, and are muddy looking. So sad! My last project for this badge was to use onion skins for a yellow color. I remember doing this in elementary school. All I had to do was add the peels to some boiling water, add my fabric (white cotton tank top and some rag wool), and let it sit for a bit. I pulled the items out of the bath and let them sit on a plate until cool. I then squeezed them out. I hung the shirt to dry and let the wool dry on the plate.

After laundering, the shirt is a light yellow and the wool was a very natural looking, mottled yellow/orange. I crocheted it into a hot pad and am very pleased with it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Dyeing for Color badge.

"Here is a list of my dyeing experimentation:

Curtains—yellow sheets, star shaped sponge, bright yellow paint...turned out pretty nice

Tie-dyed shirts with kids—pale lime shirts for the guys, pale lemon shirts for the gals, tie-dye kit from
AC Moore...turned out awesome! The kit had squirt bottles for the three primary color dyes. It was messy and needed a lot of newspaper and some patience. We did okay keeping the dye off ourselves and the furniture, but elementary age kids would need a lot of help. This project gave us a chance to practice with blending the colors and getting more than one dye color into a piece of fabric.

Sprucing up faded jeans—need navy blue or black Rit dye. This works very well in the washing machine. You can dye several pairs of jeans at once. Use two packages of dye for a full load.

“Framed” a quilted project—I wanted the look of wood around my quilt project and found a fabric with a wood-like print on it, but the fabric was lighter than I wanted. I used plain, black tea to darken the fabric. I am fairly pleased with the results, although I would have preferred a darker dye. Coffee would have been better for this project.

I have also learned how to preserve the dyes in my embroider floss (soak in a mixture of 1 T vinegar in a cup of water for several minutes, rinse, and let dry). This has helped preserve the look of my crazy quilts.

I practiced katazome dying with a tapioca starch paste but my results were not great. I can barely see the design that I painted onto my fabric before dying. I did, however, get fairly good results with the dying. I made a light yellow dye with onion skins which I put into a spray bottle. I sprayed the dye onto the fabric all over until it was pretty well covered with yellow splotches. I then made a red dye with some natural colors that I have and repeated the spraying process. When the fabric dried it was a lovely mottled red, yellow, and orange—similar to a batik pattern.

Since I have experienced some success with my dyeing experiments, I purchased some silk ribbon to try to dye. I have not yet decided which color I would like it, but it will eventually become embroidery flowers on a pillowcase!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Tara Bisogna, (Sweet_tea, #2974) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have started to create my own spices. especially mexican spices, due to a bad experience at a mexican restaurant. Mexican is the only thing we used to go out to eat for. The last time we went I got really sick for days, and I decided I can make my own Mexican spice at home. So I began to put together spices, and made my own taco and fajita spices. I also have a "house seasoning" that I use on everything I make, and I can my own sauces and jellies and jams. I also make a Jack Daniels based bbq sauce and can that for later use.
I recently got a food dehydrator as an early Christmas present so, I immediately dried cherries and bananas in it. Then after researching how to make jerky. I made jerky out of some leftover deer meat from a deer I had shot and processed. I also dried some left over fresh mint I had bought in the store, and have that in a jar in my spice cabinet.

The BBQ sauce is used on everything. I cook Mexican at least once a week and the jerky was a big hit. I wound up using all the ground meat I had from my deer, less 1 lb for a meatloaf :). But, I made Andouille, Garlic and Pepper and original jerky. It was all great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  3:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Hatton, (Farmerette of Kristina Nelson, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I earned my merit badge by crafting with macramé. For one whole summer I made necklaces, bracelets, and much more with beads string and lots, and lots, of knotting.

After I made my macramé jewelry I sold it and wore most of it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  4:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have accumulated tons of buttons in my time of sewing. From bustles to hats they always have a use. Well after having so many I started losing track of what I had and what I did not. So for this merit badge I organized my button box. Placing all the different sizes and colors into bags and then labeling them. I hope this will help me from over buying buttons now.

This is absolutely wonderful. I can see my buttons clearly now, finding just the right one for Civil War dresses or for fixing my daughter’s dress."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  4:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"Quilting was the basis for my sewing, my first quilt being in 2003. I made several while at college but stopped to pursue clothing in 2005. My daughter’s fourth birthday is in a week and I wanted to give her a quilt of her own. I used extra fabric that I found and made them into 5 inch squares. As I was sewing I was trying very hard to make sure all the lines were together. I also did a bit of stitch in the ditch to hold the fabric in place. I then bound the layers together with some excess binding that I had. I was really surprised how rusty I was at quilting. I am not used to getting up and down from the machine to the iron so much and I was surprised by how much more time this quilt took. For the backing I used some purple flannel with tiaras on it.

My daughter is in love with it, she caught me red handed! Her favorite color (currently) is purple and all the colors of this quilt put a big smile on her face."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  4:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Judy King, (Patchwork Peace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've been working towards a "green clean" home for the past couple of years. I like to use the Seventh Generation laundry detergent and dish washing liquid. I clean the rest of my home with homemade products using ingredients such as vinegar, lemon juice, essential oils, borax, washing soda and Murphy’s oil. My recipes have come from books such as Reader’s Digest Homemade, MaryJanesFarm website as well as making up some of my own.

There have been many advantages besides being healthier for my family. It's good to know that our two cats aren't in contact with toxic substances, the gentler cleaners don't exacerbate allergies and since everything is made from simple, proven and sometimes edible ingredients there is no fear that ten years down the road that the ingredients cause cancer!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Judy King, (Patchwork Peace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"My house is officially green now. My last holdout was spray starch, but now that I've found satisfactory ways to obtain the desired result, I can apply for this badge. I make most of my products with the exception of laundry products which I'm still trying to come with my own laundry soap that my entire family likes. So we use Seventh Generation products for the laundry and for dish soap. For the rest of the house, vinegar is a good glass cleaner, while lemon juice, cooking oil and a drop or two of good-smelling essential oil makes a good hardwood floor cleaner and just by adjusting the amount of oil, a good furniture polish. Borax, washing soda and a TBSP of Murphy's Oil makes a clean-smelling all purpose cleaner. Tea tree oil is used as an ingredient when a more potent antiseptic is needed.

Mission Statement: I pledge to the members of my household to use only organic cleansing agents that promote a healthy cleanliness and lifestyle.

I've been keeping a nifty-thrifty journal that contains my special recipes,as well as tips gleaned from magazines and internet.

Its been fun finding solutions to cleaning problems. Essential oils can add delicious clean smells not to mention that many have good cleansing properties themselves. I'm still working at trying to come up with a laundry detergent, dish soap."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  11:00:26 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Embroidery badge.

"Instead of embroidering the days of the week on towels, I used barn patterns.

I embroidered 7 different barn patterns on flour sack towels."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  11:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I learned to avoid slang when posting on the forum.

I learned new words, such as swashbuckler and smirch. I also played an online English vocabulary game using www.freerice.com."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  12:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"My husband and I have been collecting information on the dangers of a high grain diet to specific animals.

We first watched the movie, "Food, Inc." and started to research the chicken we ate. After we purchased our dairy goats (lamancha) we were advised to read the book, "Genetic Roulette" in regards to what is done to today's grain and other animal feed, and how it will tear their insides up and possibly cause infertility. This led us to collecting information about turkeys and then beef, and why grass fed beef is better. We recently located a farm that will be a great food source for us until we raise our own beef (and other meat/dairy animals. I located them by using google and entering organic farms. This farm is also listed on the www.eatwild.com web site. Grass fed beef is healthier, more humane to the animal, and better tasting."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  1:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Jill Nesheim, (36quilter, #2861) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I had a friend show me the basics of tatting several years ago. She knew how to make a ring and a picot but that was it. I was not very successful that first try but I kept at it and found written directions in a couple different books. Eventually I got my ring to work and slide and taught myself to use a ball and shuttle to form chains and hook chains and loops together. This picture is a length of tatted lace using size 10 cotton. I plan to use it to border a quilt. The middle of the quilt will have tatted fans made of the same variegated thread. We just made an 11 hour (one way) trip to see our children for Easter so I worked on this while the DH was driving.

This project is turning out great - I will keep making the lace longer until I run out of thread."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  2:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Jill Nesheim, (36quilter, #2861) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I have been quilting for over 30 years. This is the last project I have finished. This pattern is in a book called quilting without corners. One day I cut the strips of fabric and sewed them into strip sets. Day 2 I cut the strips into wedges and sewed all 36 wedges together. The 3rd day I quilted it with free motion quilting and put on the binding.

I have this hanging on the wall in my room at my school. The kids love it and I have gotten many compliments on it. It is the best free motion quilting I have done so far."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  2:10:08 PM  Show Profile
Laura Hughes, (Morning, #1915) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"My daughter and I organized all the buttons by color.

I mainly use them for papercrafts and it will be much easier to add them to a project now."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  2:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I created a scrapbook as a gift to myself.

Life can be overwhelming, so I decided to create a "book of possibilities" for my scrapbook. It contains my dreams (buying a camper, losing weight, building a wall tent and more).

I used old magazines, newspaper, scrap fabric and cross-stitch fabric, embroidery (see the date on the first scrapbook page), and lined paper to create my pages. I have many pages in this book, so I can keep on dreaming. The last page contains words cut from a magazine, which are "Miraculous Results."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  2:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"As I researched the different kinds of meats my eyes were opened. I never thought of the conditions of the plant where the meat was packaged. I always just thought everything was nice and clean, but it wasn’t. Another thing that surprised me was the amounts of different bacteria strains that were in the meats.

I am now looking into some local farms to buy my meat from, some are so close I can go and see the cows themselves."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  2:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have found lately that I have been breaking out in rashes on my skin. I found out that my brand of detergent that I purchase was causing my skin problems. I went to the MJF boards to find ways to make my own detergent. I went to grating soap, dry mixed with borax and washing soda.

Not only has my skin cleared up but my bank account is super happy. This new soap cost $2 a batch if that versus my old soap that was $13 each month. I love the new smell of it also."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  3:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I sat down with my grandma one afternoon. She told me all about the days when her father would take her into downtown Chicago on the trolley. She remembered all the people on the trolley, the smell of it, and the sounds it made. She told me about the early days of her marriage, when they had no money, and had to make their own pizza. It was an event at the house and my grandfather took it very seriously.

My grandmother and I really connected on another level. I loved spending the time with her especially now that I live so far away from her."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  3:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Kristen Morton, (kfiles, #2596) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I have chosen a business, several actually and put it all down on paper!

I am loving dreaming about my business!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page