Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  11:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

" My chapter has been enjoying making our own goodies, and one thing we do best is share recipes. We make everything from homemade bread to salad dressings, to desserts and pickles and jams.
I'll share with you one of my family's favorite yummies...brownies. Unfortunately, not only do most processed brownies include artificial, non-organic ingredients, but they lack flavor and cake-like springiness. Nothing beats a homemade Betty Crocker brownie made with organic flour, sugar, and cocoa. Topped with homemade ice cream (made from Battenkill Creamery hormone-free, non-homogenized, all-natural milk), organic bananas, and my own homemade hot fudge sauce, it is sure to please any crowd. Here's my recipe:
In small saucepan combine 1c organic sugar, ½ cup cocoa (or carob powder), 2 T organic flour, ¼ t. salt. Mix well with whisk. Add 1 T organic butter and 1 cup boiling water. Mix well. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, whisking constantly. Boil one minute. Remove from heat and add 1 T pure vanilla.
Smother brownie sundae, top with whipped organic cream and indulge!! Make sure you have extra, because your farmgirl chapter will be looking for seconds."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  12:27:07 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"Before my grandfather died my chidren and I sat down with him and my grandmother and talked about the depression and WWII. Through this time we learned a lot about my grandfather, his six brothers, and other family members in South Carolina and Tennessee. We also learned about my grandmother's working farm growing up.

This was recorded so that we could have this to share for future generations."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've been sewing for a while, so I have a nice little collection of buttons.

A few years ago, I bought a bag of buttons at an antique store. While most of them were shades of brown, there were some interesting Art Deco-type buttons included.

These days I tend to craft with buttons from a bin at a local liquidation store. There are lots of bright colors, and my kids and I love the tactile feel of the buttons in our hands. Of course, we usually buy a small handful as well.

It turned out easily. As a learning tool, I had my youngest child sort the buttons my color.

I tried loading a picture, but it must be too big, so here's the link to the photo of my collection:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24261047@N03/5471463196/"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  2:04:43 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"While bread isn't exactly a "guilty pleasure," it a major source of frustration for me because I pack three lunches every day for my kids to take to school.

That means I go through a LOT of sandwich bread. And because I don't want to send them off with junky processed bread, we end up spending quite a lot on bread with substance or bread from a bread shop like Great harvest.

I can bake a nice loaf of dinner bread, but sandwich bread has been alluding me for two years. My problem with sandwich bread is that the bread tears easily when cutting.

And then the latest issue of Cooks Illustrated arrived in the mail with a recipe for Whole wheat sandwich bread!! Hooray, Hooray! Finally (repeat: finally!) I have hit pay dirt! The recipe is fabulous and creates a perfect loaf that slices like a dream!!

I've made the recipe twice now with the same results. I'm also grinding my own wheat berries (with the grain mill attachment to the Kitchenaid) for this bread.

Bonus: the kids like my bread better than the store brands.

Extra Bonus: the cost to make the two loaves in the recipe is a third or less of purchasing ONE loaf at the store. Woo Hoo!!

Yes, I'm over-excited about this!!

Turned out super duper. Wouldn't change a thing!

Here's a link to the recipe:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/login.asp?docid=27410"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  2:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer of the movie; it's fascinating. I knew bees were in danger, though the video intensified just how much in danger they are.

Late last summer I planted cone flower and bee balm in a flower garden that also included an heirloom tea rose bush that smells incredible. All are supposed to be winter hardy for Wisconsin, so I'm hopeful they will return this spring.

I've also read "The Secret Life of Bees" and I've seen the movie. My favorite bit of advice comes from August when she says that bees are like people. Be kind to them, and they will be kind to you. Swat at them and they will sting you.

I love August's advice and teach it to my kids when they start to freak out when a bee is near. It's such a valuable life lesson with deeper meaning toward conservation as well!

The book is one of my favorites.

I think I'll netflix the movie to see the entire production.

I want to include a hive in my garden, though we will be moving in a few years so I'm waiting until we get to a more permanent location to include a hive."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  4:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Brown (rileybrown, #2007) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"I chose to research the paint horse because those are the horses my sister and her husband own. The Spanish explorers brought these horses over to the New World. Native Americans soon learned the horse was an excellent beast of burden, transportation and partner in battle. The horse with "splashy markings" was a prize. I also read The Soul of a Horse by Joe Camp and visited his website.

I knew nothing about horses until I did the research and read the book. My sister has had horses for years, but she doesn't live that close and I guess I took no interest in them. Now that I have gained some knowledge, I have had fun engaging my brother-in-law in "horse talk". I was also impressed with Camp's book and his methods of raising and keeping his horses and his "no shoe" approach to caring for his horses. The picture attached is of two ponies, one wearing the bald or white face indicative of a paint. They also have 4 white feet, another characteristic. Paints are good for running, cutting and roping. My brother-in-law uses his paints for rounding up stray animals that have escaped their fencing out in the country. Cow, bulls, other horses and donkeys as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  4:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Powers (Brenda, #2650) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted a dish rag.

The first one was off a little. The second one turned out pretty good. I liked doing them, they went pretty fast."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  4:52:31 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Chamberlain (#1747) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"It's very hard to stick to a budget and eat organic. BUT my motto is "do what I can." Fortunately my husband is a hunter so by default we have always eaten organic meat (deer and elk) and we raise our own meat and egg chickens feeding them organically. Well, in January I started buying my produce at the farmers market, or I go to the organic section of my grocery store. I have also switched to organic cereals and crackers from Trader Joe's. And most recently we switched to organic milk.

Immediately my husband LOVED the organic milk, he says it tastes WAY better than conventional. I do encourage others to go organic and always say "well do what you can."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Stargazing Chicks badge.

"We had several nights that were cold and the sky was bright. We live outside the city limits so we can see the night sky well. I borrowed several books and a sky chart from the library to help me understand what I was looking at. I found more than 5 bright objects in the sky and even shared with my grandchildren what I was doing. I made a poster of what I learned.

I loved doing this project. I made a poster from some of my researching. I also learned some of the folk lore about the constellations. I am looking forward to this summer when I can sleep out under the stars."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"Through the help of many family members and technology I have been able to trace our leg of my roots back eight generations.

We have a folder made with the family tree showing all that was learned."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:45:07 AM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Know Your Roots badge.

"When I was growing up my grandparents would have a Christmas family reunion. As the grandchildren got into middle school they stopped because of so many family commitments. The year my 92 year old grandfather died we also lost two family members. I felt that the only time we got together as extended family was at funerals. The following year I started the Christmas/New Year family reunion again.

We will continue to have these on the first Saturday of each new year. It is a blessing to see how many people still come and tell the children and grandchildren about this tradition."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  12:46:54 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Chapter Leader badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  12:54:38 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I chose potato chips for my "guilty pleasure". I made homemade potato chips at home that were to-die for!

Nothing better than real, whole food cooked at home!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I borrowed a copy of "Dare to Repair" by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-Tenet, from our library inter loan system. I also repainted the garage and installed portable shelving at the end of last summer.

It was an all-day job. I got the entire family involved. We removed everything from the garage, removing everything we didn't need, swept, and repainted the block walls. We installed portable shelving and organized the garage. I have also done many repairs that are in the book "Dare to Repair" such as replace the toilet seat, handle and float etc. I have helped repair our well (completely removing it to replace the foot valve), I have also painted many rooms, unclogged sinks, replaced caulking, door locks and more. A few items don't apply to use such as the electric garage door opener. I can now replace one screen with the help of this book.I was surprised that there were no instructions to clean a wood burning stove, other than to hire someone to clean it. I am pretty sure there are suggestions in another book I read (Clean and Green) to clean wood burning stove piping etc."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I've been working on my family tree for years. I've dug up lots of info and the relatives have loved talking about the family. The latest attempt was with my mom's Aunt Helen. She had given us some stories and every time I went back east I would ask her more. Last spring I sent a tape recorder to Aunt Helen because she was having a hard time writing any more and enjoyed sharing her stories. She passed in August and her kids have really appreciated all the information.

This has been a project that my sister and I have closer working on. We've both spent time on certain aspects and been able to share info and pass it along."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"I actually had a chance to visit the National Archives a few years ago. It was an amazing experience and before much was online. Now it is so much easy, especially finding older census records.

As much as the National Archives has helped I found a lot of luck with local historical groups. Last summer I was able to get the birth record for my great-great grandfather, which contained his parents name. We didn't have that before and could never find him in the census."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Stargazing Chicks badge.

"As my husband patrols the more rural areas of our county, he knows all of the good spots where there isn’t much light pollution. We like to go stargazing whenever we have the chance (but it’s been so cold lately – next time we’re taking hot chocolate!). The five brightest objects observable from various spots in my county are the stars in Orion’s belt, the star Betelgeuse, the star Sirius from the constellation Canis Major, the star Procyon from the constellation Canis Minor, and the stars Castor & Pollux from the constellation Gemini. I’m usually observing the night sky around 11:00pm. Jupiter is supposed to be visible this time of year, but I haven’t seen it yet. I’m keeping an eye out, though! I’ll know it when I see it because it won’t have the same twinkle that stars do – but through this research, I learned an even better way. The stars always stay in the same place… but the planets move! After observing the night sky for several nights, only the planets will be in different places.

While I know about purely mathematical uses for measuring degrees of arc, I’m still learning about the usefulness of the degrees of arc as they relate to astronomy. For now, I know that I can use the width of my pinky to measure 1 degree, my three middle fingers together to measure 5 degrees, the width of my balled fist to measure 10 degrees, the distance from my extended pinky to my extended index finger to measure 15 degrees, and the distance from my extended pinky to my extended thumb to measure 25 degrees.

I’m doing my best to learn the names of all of the stars in the constellation Orion – it’s always been one of my favorite constellations, and I’d like to know more about it. I wish some of the names were better than “M42” and “M43”! Anyway, it’s one of the most visible in the Southern sky.

I’m really glad that this badge was made available – it gave me the incentive I needed to go lie beneath the stars with my husband! It makes for a cheap, memorable date."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"This has been an exciting journey for me. My family loves to share old family stories. This is who we are and where we come from. My father, the oldest living family member of thirteen, has been tracing his family tree. Since he does not have a computer, I continued the reseach for him. I have copied photos, newspaper articles and documents.

It is lots and lots of work. It is so addictive but well worth the journey."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:32:12 PM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"I gathered all the information I could find to compile my father's family tree. I used the National Archives web site, old court house documents, newspapers, family bibles, and old knowledge referenced from family. I even joined Ancestry.com.

It is fascinating to discover a new piece of your family. My regret is I did not ask more and start research earlier. Maybe some important questions would have answers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Know Your Roots badge.

"My father and I have been working on his family tree. My Christmas present to my family was a book of their family roots. I was able to trace back to the early 1600s. I complied all the documents and photos with the family history my father had written. My son typed it for me. I had it bound into a book. The book was given to my children, father, brother and nieces. My father was so pleased as he hoped someday he could find someone to type it.

This was a great gift to share with my family. I still have some more research to do. Some day there will be a revision to the book."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"Realizing that my mother and father were the only living family now on both sides I decided we had better document some history and memories. My parents are each writing a journal of their childhood for each of my grandchildren(3), we have labeled all photos, shared info with my cousins, and traced our family tree. Great to know I have Cherokee blood running in my veins.

We are so blessed to have this info shared and documented I might not have done it if it had not been for MaryJanesFarm merit badges. Thank you!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  1:54:33 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"My dad taught his children to do simple repair tasks as we grew up. He wanted us all to be as self-sufficient as possible.
My husband is a contractor and we have built two houses for ourselves. I have "subbed" out on some of the jobs for him in painting, some remodels etc.
So, I know a lot of the skills as discussed in the book "DARE TO REPAIR".

However, in the past two weeks I had some repairs to make:
- replace the weatherstripping around our exterior doors because our cat had destroyed the lower portions. The challenge was in carefully replacing it and with something that she wouldn't be able to destroy again.
- anchor the edges of the vinyl flooring with the appropriate metal strips in front of the back door and round the crawl space access.
- replace the burner receptacles for the two large burners on our electric kitchen stove so we had 4 functioning burners.
It was nice to spend less than $20 on this repair and not have to buy an entire new stove.

"DARE TO REPAIR" is a great book!!! Easy to read, practical and is a "must-have" for all gals. I think it would be an excellent gift for the bride-to-be or single gal buying her first home."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  2:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I've been in the habit of taking care of my car and it's fluids for a few years. I have a son who's an auto mechanic and he always emphasizes the importance of this.

It's really easy to manage the inflation of my car's tires because it has a light that comes on to tell me when the air has gotten low. I make sure to fill the tires as soon as they need it to make them last longer. Since getting my car with this feature I've gotten much more mileage from a set of tires.
I would like it if my car would get more miles per gallon of gas but it's much better than the van I drove when all my kids were still living at home."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  2:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"My goals for the last month were to exercise regularly and eliminate unhealthy foods from my diet.

I've been rotating walking, yoga, and jumping on the rebounder. I do some form of exercise at least 4 times per week.

The only time I ate something less than healthy was on my daughter's birthday when I had a piece of ice cream cake.

I plan to continue with these healthy habits."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I decided to stop eating refined sugar January 9, 2011 - I have replaced dessert with a cup of peppermint tea or a smoothie made with bananas.

To date I have lost 7.8 lbs. and feel a lot better! I plan to keep going!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page