Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I learned how to knit in New Zealand when I was sixteen years old. I've done a lot of cotton dishcloths & we use them regularly. Recently I taught my daughter & her cousin how to knit.

Here's a picture of my niece. She loved it so much she took it with her everywhere, even to the playground!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I made at least 25% of the presents I gave this year. Most of them were shopping bags. I also crocheted some ornaments to add to our tree.

Everybody loved their gifts and they all had special meaning."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I already know the basics of quilting. I'm not very good at it, but I did a quilted bag for a Christmas gift.

My sister-in-law was thrilled with it, so I guess it turned out great!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:34:43 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full apron using a quilt block. I did not make this quilt block - it was made for me as part of a swap.

I thought it turned out beautifully!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Thums (prairie_princess, #1505) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I began preparing to earn this badge in May and have finally completed all the requirements now, in December! Yay! It took me so long because I wasn't able to find Zote Soap in any of my local stores until recently.
Although I wasn't able to completely replace all harmful cleaners in May when I started, I was still able to spring clean my house utilizing all non-toxic, homemade cleaners. I threw all my old store bought cleaners out at that time and haven't looked back since. Among the items I threw out were: Color Safe Bleach, Liquid Fabric Softener, Glass Cleaner, and Clorox Bleach Clean-Up multi-purpose cleaner. I didn't throw out my name brand laundry detergent at that time but have since replaced that with homemade laundry soap as well. Now I use vinegar water with a few drops of essential oils as a multi-purpose cleaner; vinegar mixed with distilled water as a window cleaner; bleach water to clean the toilet or places I need more antibacterial power, such as the kitchen counter or stove; either bleach or Borax to clean the toilet bowl; Borax to scrub the bathtub and shower as well as other porcelain surfaces; and plain old water to wipe down wood and horizontal surfaces. If I don't need such a deep clean, I'll simply dust off an area with my magnetic duster. I have now switched to Mary Jane's Powdered Laundry Soap recipe from the August/September 2009 issue and use distilled white vinegar as my fabric softener. Although I don't have carpet floors, I've started using Mary Jane's Carpet Deodorizer recipe on my area rugs that work wonders to freshen up the smell of a room! I also discovered a use of mixing distilled water with lavender essential oil: spray it on drying clothes and sheets to get an even fresher scent while air drying outside on the line. It's also nice to spray on blankets thrown in the dryer that have been packed away to get rid of that musty smell.
I've converted my husband into using these products. He also loves the simplicity of using them, especially because of their cost efficiency. Since he is in charge of creating and maintaining our shopping budget, he witnesses first hand how we are saving money by making cleaning products at home. Plus, he's discovered how effective Borax is when cleaning his hands after a long day of working on the tractor! He says it works much better than any product on the market, such as Comet or Orange Off.
I share my recipes by setting the example. Whenever the topic of cleaning comes up, I can say with pride and enthusiasm that I create my own cleaning products at home. I have actually had friends and relatives request recipes. One friend and I took the time to research how vinegar is made vinegar and how it can be used in the home. We now swap ideas on a regular basis, especially now that she is expecting her first baby and is always looking for ways to maintain a clean home naturally. A friend and her husband from the city will be visiting me soon at my country home. I'm eager to see how she reacts to my homemade cleaners. I'm sure she will utilize my washing machine and use my homemade detergent... I can't wait to see what she thinks of its cleaning power compared to what she is used to!
My mission statement is simple. I feel much healthier while using these homemade products because there is no leftover smell after cleaning. While using these products, I know I'm doing something good for the environment, myself and my loved ones, as well as my pets. I also conserve much needed space when I store them! Instead of buying a new product each shopping trip because the last one didn't work as well as I'd hoped and having a bunch of bottles cluttering up my cupboards, I only have to keep a stock of 8 multi-purpose ingredients: vinegar, distilled water, Borax, washing soda, baking soda, bleach, Zote Soap, and a variety of essential oils. I know that with a combination of a few of these products, I will discover some sort of cleaning agent! That's one more thing I like about them: they are all multi-purpose! Some of them even transfer over into other spheres of use in the home, such as cooking. And, as I mentioned before, buying all these products saves money. Plus, it's more FUN to come up with new recipes and scents when creating cleaning products at home! Therefore, I pledge to only utilize clean, non-toxic, homemade cleaning products because they are healthier, save space, cost efficient and fun!

I will never turn back!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Thums (prairie_princess, #1505) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I have been using MaryJane's recipe for Powdered Laundry Soap from the August/September 2009 issue for about 3 months. The only change in ingredients is I replace the 1 grated bar of Castile Soap for 1 grated bar of Zote Soap. I do this for economic savings. I believe Zote Soap is a good substitute for the Castile soap since it is also made of natural components. I love making my own laundry detergent because I can change the fragrances by changing the essential oils I use in the mixture.
I've been using distilled white vinegar in place of fabric softener for about 7 months. I've discovered I prefer it over store-bought softener because it doesn't gunk up my dispenser. I have to use more of it during the cold months due to increased static electricity, but it's no problem. I find the vinegar to be more cost efficient regardless.
I've been using a mixture of vinegar and essential oils as a multi-purpose cleaner for about 7 months as well. I have discovered it shouldn't be used on wood surfaces that have no protective sealing because it will cause color changes in the wood. For those surfaces I use plain water to wipe off the dust or a magnetic duster. I also use vinegar and water as a glass cleaner. Although I only have wood floors in the majority of my house, I've been using MaryJane's Carpet Deodorizer recipe on my area rugs for a few months to freshen up the pet smell in my house.
I have transferred some of the green/health ideas for cleaning into other areas of my life as well. I have been making homemade toothpaste for about a year after discovering some of the side effects of ingredients in store bought toothpaste. This is the recipe I use:

2 T. baking soda
1 ½ t. peroxide
5 drops essential oil (I've tried peppermint, spearmint,and lemon; a warning – use less spearmint because it's very strong!)

I have also been making my own mouthwash:

2 oz. Distilled water
¼ t. baking soda
1 drop peppermint oil
1 drop tea tree oil
witch hazel

Over the summer my husband's aunt passed on a recipe for homemade bodywash that I've also been using:

1 C. grapeseed oil
1 ½ C. epsom salts
½ C. coconut oil, melted
¼ C. olive oil
1 T. honey, melted
5 drops essential oils of choice

Whisk oils together, add salts, dribble in honey slowly. If more than ½ in oil settles to the top, add more epsom salts. (I discovered I didn't need as much oils, so can reduce amounts if prefer.)

I hope to start making my own shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap in the future! I've notice after passing on information to my mother-in-law, she has now reverted to making her own toothpaste!I share with others by setting the example.

Am much impressed with the cleaning power of homemade cleaners compared to store bought... I will never look back after having made my own!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  2:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (lawrmom, #2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went through my storage container shelves and got rid of the plastic containers that cannot safely be microwaved. They were recycled. I made sure I kept only glass/plastic containers that had matching lids. Any extras were recycled. I purchased heatable storage containers from Whole Foods to replace the mismatched containers. I do keep containers that come from the grocery store, "recycling" them by using them for leftovers at home.

GREAT! I reorganize often, as I have 5 kids and everyone has his/her own ideas of where/how things go!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (lawrmom, #2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I started a flock of 4 hens (they culled one so I have 3 now) to raise eggs at home in the city. I have been unable to find organic feed non-mail order, but I let my flock free range in my yard as often as possible to take advantage of the insects, worms, lizards, etc. We garden organically, so any creatures they eat are OK.

GREAT!!! I love having chickens and my own eggs and sharing the experience to others. It's amazing how many people don't know that you don't need a rooster to get eggs! And I have great neighbors who laugh at the occasional glance of a hen running across the yard rather than scream! The picture is of my Americauna (white), Black Australorp (black), not pictured: Rhode Island Red."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (lawrmom, #2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"There are not many horses in town, but there are some small horse farms on the perimeter. Most of these are populated with Quarter Horses, thoroughbreds or Warmbloods and are used for showing--Western or Hunter/Jumper. We owned horses for years and boarded at one of the local farms (Hunter/Jumper).

Fine, but we plan to get back to having horses on our own property. We are hoping to move back to acreage within the next 1 1/2 years!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (lawrmom, #2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I read a lot about ways I can decorate with natural items. I also make up a lot of ideas, based on what is blooming/seed pods/ etc. of the season.

Instead of purchasing decorating items, I have been relying on nature--ferns, leaves, etc. that are abundant in my gardens make beautiful, green arrangements. The decorator items I buy also tend to be "natural" or made with natural items. Although I do have to monitor these for insects, rotting, etc., I don't mind making more as needed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:15:43 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (lawrmom, #2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"As an accomplished seamstress, this was an easy task--I had all these items on hand and have them organized.

It was good to revisit all my supplies and make sure all was organized. It also let me see what I needed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (lawrmom, #2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Again, as an accomplished seamstress, these are easy requirements. I enjoy both hand and machine sewing and have particularly enjoyed using my skills to design the embroidering and placement of my Farmgirl Sisterhood badge(s) on the jeans jacket I just purchased for this purpose!

Great--although the straight seam is my fave (as long as I'm not dealing w/a knit or ravelling edges)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#832) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a gratitude journal from December 1 through 31.

It made me stop and think of specific things to be grateful for each day. Especially on days that I felt overwhelmed, I found so much to be grateful for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Knotty Farmgirls badge.

"REEVER BEND: is a life-support knot and is little known and used. But it has symmetry and is easy to tie, introduced to climbers in 1928.
REEF KNOT: used to be a boating knot but because sails are rarely reefed by cords of “reef points” is used less. However, it is recommended in climbing manual for joining two or more abseil (rappel) lines to one another and is considered a valuable life-support knot.
MUNTER FRICTION HITCH: also a life-support knot will check and hold a load through friction. Is used with a carabiner. It is recommended that, if it becomes necessary to free both hand for a vital task one should resort to the MUNTER MULE, which also uses a carabiner. Learning more about life-support knots is of more interest and use to me because of our camping/hiking/skiing activities, etc.
One of my projects was to knot (with surgeons knot) nylon baling twine and then braid to not only reuse baling twine, but have more options for lightweight, useable ropes for small projects.
Using the Turk’s Head knot also to make small coaster/mat and bracelets, which made unique gifts. While it may be an 80’s rage, macramé is still useful and made great decorative wall hangings, evening plant hangers, also unique gifts.

Making the hammock as in Mary Janes Ideabook was a bit of a nightmare, especially to get it started as it was a challenge to support the rows of loops/knots and occasionally I missed a loop and had to go back . . ARRGGHH!!! But it will be a nice thing to have for a summer evening to relax and enjoy the outdoors. My hubby already had some oak for the end stretcher bars.
Helped teach my daughter some rope techniques by guiding her through building her swing and making a rope. Also with my hubby, especially in the making of rope from plastic bags . We believe that this serves more than one purpose. It reuses plastic bags, makes a reasonably strong rope that can be added to and is something we can carry in our cars for minor emergencies. These projects have gotten everyone in the family involved and learning . . . and we’re having fun with it.
I'll be hanging my hammock next summer when all this snow melts, it gets warmer and I can see the ground again.
Total time invested exceeds requirements."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:35:55 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Outpost badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Christiansen (dchristi, #1006) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I found a "kit" at Joann Fabrics on sale and thought I would make it for my friend Lori's new grand baby. She is a first time grandma.

I got a rotary cutter and followed the pattern for cutting squares, 1/4" seam allowance and press the seams of rows in opposite directions for better seam matching.

I did a straight, corner to corner quilt pattern on the quilt.

As you can see from the picture the quilt turned to great and Lori and her daughter loved it. I even posted it on Facebook and some of my friends want me to show them how I did it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:48:34 PM  Show Profile
Marti Freyer (#2314) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I scoured my current button box and found that I had 47 buttons already. A few more were located in a few obscure places, dresser drawers and sewing box to make 50!

I have actually realized how few buttons 50 is. There are so many options!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Marti Freyer (#2314) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have had a sewing box for a while in a tackle box. I, however, did not have a pincushion. I hand stitched a pincushion using several new techniques.

I am delighted to have made my own pincushion. I am interested to see if I like it better than the magnet in a little dish that I've been using."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  4:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a gratitude journal each day for a month. I called it my “good things list.”

Every day, it seemed I was able to think of more things to be grateful for. It was a good exercise. It trained my brain to notice the good things over the bad things."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  4:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I already eat organic. So, I’ve been preparing extra of my food to share with my boyfriend who, frankly, eats terribly on his own.

At first, he said that while he cannot pass a taste test and hasn’t noticed any obvious health differences, the research has convinced him that it’s better for him. When asked if he would purchase organic food for himself if I weren't sharing meals with him, he said “yes.” He’s aware of the “Dirty Dozen, Clean Fifteen” list put out be the Environmental Working Group to help make decisions about when to definitely buy organic. Over time, he has become an advocate of organic food, and has even started a detox for the new year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  4:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"The two households I chose for this badge were my parents’ and my sister and nephew. I started with just sharing information about my choices and why I made them. Since Mom likes to buy me food as a gift when she visits, I used that as an opening to give her a tour of the health food store and introduce her to some new foods. I also gave my family two big boxes of food items, including organic herbs, spices, oils, etc.

While my sister and father aren’t really interested, my mom and nephew are on board. Mom loves playing with all the new-to-her food items, and my nephew has become an advocate of clean food and water, even without my outside influence. We even talked about Food, Inc., over Christmas, and my family bought me a copy of my own that I can use when I talk to others."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  4:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"Recently, I started eating meat again after 16 years as a vegetarian. I’ve spent a couple of months investigating organic, might as well be organic, and conventionally grown meat.

The most important realization for me has been that even if the package says, “Grass-fed,” that doesn’t mean much. I now look for “grass-finished” as well. I've also been really surprised at the length some companies go to to make their products sound like they are healthy when they are not. Consumers really have to pay attention and do their research. Don't just take the company's word for it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  2:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"To earn this merit badge, I spent 2 additional months adding one organic food item to my families' weekly menu. I did a lot of the shopping in the MJF food pantry this time! The items included:
1. MJF Bakeover Mix
2. MJF Chillover Mix
3. MJF Pasta
4. MJF Mac-n-Cheese (YUM!)
5. MJF Hot Cereal
6. MJF Oatmeal
7. MJF Tomato Soup (Double-yum!)
8. Bertolli Organic Pasta Sauce

The kids were a bit "iffy" with some of the items. But I think it's just because their young palates are so accustomed to commercial food that "real" food was just too much for them to handle! I'm not giving up though. I figure the more I introduce organic (real) food, the more they'll get used to it and come to enjoy it!

I myself thoroughly enjoyed everything! My favorites were MJF's tomato soup and mac-n-cheese. And of course the Budget Mix, which I've gotten tons of use out of! :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  2:22:13 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"I finally got around to purchasing an excellent knife sharpener. I brought it home, sat down, and went through every knife in my kitchen, making sure they were all razor-sharp when I put them back in their place!

I never realized what a big difference it would make! We've had our current knife set for 10 years - it was a wedding gift. And they have never once been sharpened! Believe me, the next time I went to dice up some chicken for a meal, I could tell a huge difference!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  3:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Dee McDaniel (deemc54, #2441) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons for years. I have had buttons since my children were young, and I made my daughter little outfits with "cutesy" buttons. I also have added any button that came with a dress, sweater, skirt and added those to my collection. I even have removed the buttons from my husband's oxford cloth shirts that finally rotted from repeated wear or had frayed collars. Most recently my button collection has grown when I bid on a sewing kit at an auction. The estate auction sale was from a beloved teacher I had in the ninth grade that taught me the skill of typing. So, I feel like I have a little piece of her by having her entire button collection, and I can have this lovely remembrance.

My button collection is enormous. So large that I recently divided my buttons into ziploc bags. Okay, I already had the plastic bags- I did not go out and purchase them. But it is great to have all these buttons. I probably will never need to buy any. I can just go to my button collection."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page