Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I've got the wool where do I start?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I've got the wool where do I start? Next Topic  

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  2:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Okay FarmGirls....I have a neighbor that just sheared her sheep and was just going to through it away. I asked her if I could have it and of course, she said yes.

So, now I have wool and no idea where to start. I know if has to be carded and spun but do you card & spin yourself or take it somewhere to de done?

Anyone have any books that you could recommend to me?

=0) Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  2:41:31 PM  Show Profile
The Ashford book Of hand spinning is a good one.
First thing to do is wash the wool. I will do a search and see if I find instructions for ya...it isn't hard..but it is messy and easier if you have a sunny day to get it dry. I would do it in 5 gallon pails full.
What breed of sheep is it?? Different wool is different..is it a huge or small fleece? You will have so much fun working with wool. I wish I were closer to help in person!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  3:10:17 PM  Show Profile
Dumb question here, but why was she going to throw it away? Hmmm.....what a waste, good thing you were there to save that wool!!

I really want to hear about your wooley adventures!! Please keep us updated!!

Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  3:35:07 PM  Show Profile
Carla - do a google search on "scouring wool". That's what its called when you are washing the fleece. You are essentially removing the lanolin and grease from the wool, but first you will want to pick through the fleece and pull out any vegetable matter and stiff ends.

One site I found with pictures is <www.spindlicity.com/winter2005/scour.htm>

Good luck!

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  3:52:18 PM  Show Profile
She's a 71 yr old lady that doesn't have anything to do with it. My son does yard work for her and she mentioned that she had the sheep sheared and wanted my son to take the garbage bags of wool to her garbage can!!! The sheep shearer said that the black wool was grade A wool and that she should do something with it. The other wool is from a sheep that is white and apparently is still okay just not a breed that has good quality wool. Hopefully this is all making sense as I know next to nothing about all of this.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  4:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that is really cool, and it makes sense too. I can hardly wait to hear the rest of the story as you go along...thanks,
g

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  5:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Carla, I've been washing fleece the same way for years & it works well for me. People have different ways of doing it but since reading The Joy of Spinning 100 years ago, it's become my way. I fill my kitchen sink w/ very warm soapy water (not real hot & use mild detergent)I wash small amounts of fleece at a time. Put fleece in soapy water & let it "FLOAT" down to the bottom (dirty wool floats, clean wool sinks) then gently squeeze it while washing (dont be rough, you don't want felt) I wash it again in another bucket w/ soapy water the SAME TEMPERATURE, wool doesn't like extreme temps. After the second wash, then rinse it a few times in water the same temp. until it is clear of soap. Gently rinse then gently squeeze wate out w/ your hands. At this point, some people put it in a mesh bag &spin it once in their washer. I don't but you can. I put mine on a screen that my husband made for me & let it dry outside on a sunny day. NOTE: you don't have to wash it twice if its not that dirty, its up to you. Just remember you never want to damage the wool so no sudden temp. changes,no boiling the fleece,don't agitate to vigorously. When you wash it don't lift it out of the water until after you finish washing it. Some people wash it in their washing machines, you'll experiment & find what works for you. If you can, get the book The Joy of Spinning, its great even today, I think. I would lend you mione but its in many peices, needs to be rebound. Hope this has helped a bit. have fun.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  6:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Carla, I was sent to a wonderful site for all things wool, spinning, carding and so on. At the very least, it will teach you the questions to ask. It did for me.
www.joyofhandspinning.com/

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
www.fouracrefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  9:05:16 PM  Show Profile
I just went to that website earlier today. My daughter is interested in taking drop spindling lessons from a friend of mine. I was interested in learning more before "we" get started. This is a fairly informative site with detailed instructions and video clips. Glad to see that other people like this site, too.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  10:04:18 PM  Show Profile
Michele's method is pretty much exactly how I do it. It takes more more detergent than you would guess. Also..don't let water run over it. Pick it up and lift it out of the water when you change to fresh water. The same temp part is SOOOO important..the most important thing.
I dry mine in the sun on a rack from when my son was a produce manager at a grocery store...a white plastic mesh on bottom. Even on a sheet will work..just turn it over now and then.
Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:03:42 AM  Show Profile
I knew you girls could point me in the right direction!

Thanks!
Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I've got the wool where do I start? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page