therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  4:54:43 PM  Show Profile
I have a semi-long gravel drive to my house and have weeds growing in the gravel. I have pulled some but I'd be there for day. Does anyone have an environmentally friendly way to get rid of the weeds or slow them down that I could use in the drive? I know that vinegar is supposed to kill the weeds but is there a special kind that you have to get?

A friend that has a certified organic farm says she puts rock salt in her driveway. I'm just not so sure if that is really a good thing to do. Opinions?

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  7:14:08 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that pouring boiling water over some weeds can kill them.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on Jun 28 2005 7:14:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  7:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Boiling water works wonderfully! Especially if you have a tea kettle or something else with a spout to direct the water. Be cautious of the steam coming back up at you when you pour (Steam burns are no fun-experience speaks here.) Also, pour at the root base, not the leaves on top unless you know they're edible and want to blanch them for salad later. (Can you tell I'm functioning on very little sleep here/?/!?!?!) You can also spray a solution of 1 part cider vinegar to 6 parts water, but the result is s l o w e r
Have fun with the weed battle.
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  10:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips. I have a tea kettle and will be using it tomorrow morning to battle the weeds.

Kay

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  4:34:05 PM  Show Profile
We did that battle for several years and I finally gave up to save time. We just run the mower down the middle once a week and the tracks stay weed free due to the traffic. The weeds in the center actually are quite pretty. Black tracks with a green strip up the middle. Also it makes a soft place for me to walk barefoot down the 300 feet to the mail box.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  6:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Eileen -- you're so right. And I didn't think of them making a soft spot to walk on. My weeds are over to the edge of the drive plus here & there throughout. If only I had just a green strip I'd leave it that way -- I think it looks cool.

Kay

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  06:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I wish we had a green strip. We have a long, all gravel driveway that, over the years (we've been here 3 mos.) has spread out to a more than 2-car width. Making it narrower is a real problem - all around it is rock - hard to dig the old rock into place!

I have the same problem as Kay tho with the weeds. I got tired of pulling them already and there's no way I can keep up. Soon as I have a stove I'll try the boiling water bath! Maybe boiling water + vinegar would do well too?
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  11:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Funny thing about the gravel driveway at my house. It seems to be the preferred incubator for all the perrenials that reseed themselves freely. If I want to keep these wonderful baby starts of delphinium, lupin, malva and a host of columbine I have to dig them out of the gravel in the spring.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

greengategardener
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Jana
Meridian ID
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  6:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Kay,
I have used the vinegar method many times with great results. I spray undiluted vinegar directly on weeds. This works best on a hot day when no rain is predicted. It works especially well in a gravel situation because vinegar will not only kill your weed but anything green (such as turf grass). It usually takes a couple day s for the weeds to die. Best of Luck.
Jana

"To cultivate a garden is to walk with God."
-Christian Nestell Bovee
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2005 :  08:04:54 AM  Show Profile
I concur. Vinegar and boiling water are great solutions that work. Boiling water is a bit dangerous, though, if you're not careful, whereas vinegar can be kept in a spray bottle for a quick spritz as you need it. Jana's right, a hot, rain-free day is best. The boiling water trick works on ant hills, too!
Go to Top of Page

Fulminous
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Deb
Maine
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  2:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Try a blowtorch type device? I know they sell something of the sort at gardeners.com, I haven't used it myself though...
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  1:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Trouble with the propane blow torch is that the flames from the burning weeds can and often does escape into the surrounding grass or pasture or whatever borders your driveway. We ended up with a very large forest fire near here last summer caused by someone doing just that! We only have a volunteer firedepartment and a lot of us are on very slow wells so fire control is a priority. No blow torches get to be used here. we are already under fire restrictions here this summer due to low snow pack and water levels.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  8:17:31 PM  Show Profile
After spending the afternoon pulling weeds along the edges of my drive, and only getting a small portion done, I'm going to try the vinegar. Do you use white vinegar or cider vinegar? We're supposed to have a couple of days next week in the 90s so that would be a good time to spray.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Fulminous
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Deb
Maine
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  09:44:44 AM  Show Profile
It is so strange for me to not think about fire control!!! LOL, things up here in Maine have been pretty wet so far, plus we live right on a stream, so for some reason I didn't even think that other parts of the country are likely to be ALOT drier!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  11:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Deb -- the torch thing would work here too because we're still not too dry. However, give it a couple of weeks and we'll be driere than a bone. Then I'll have to start watering until September or October.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Killing Weeds In My Driveway Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page