Author Cleaning Up:  Homemade Laundry Detergent Revisited Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  08:37:43 AM  Show Profile
I know this has been discussed earlier, but I desperately want to be able to use homemade detergent. In the past when I have, it just doesn't get our clothes clean. I am actually finding some of the commercial detergents are not that great either, and cost a fortune. I've tried brands like Nellie's etc, but they seem to have the same ingredients that the homemade does. I found one recipe that included Oxydol, but it is hard to find and costs a fortune on Amazon for a teeny box. I REALLY want to get away from the chemicals.
We are dirty here (lol), 3 Dobermans, goats and chickens plus the garden.
Also, I do dog laundry almost daily, because of the Dobermans habit of sucking blankets. It gets gross, and I need to be able to get out the ick from big dog slobber. I use vinegar in every cycle.
I know this is quite the rambling mess, but I am hoping you gals have a homemade solution that is effective on stains and odors.
Picture of one of the Dobes (Sherman) with one of his many sucky blankets. He reminds me of Linus.
Thanks for listening!

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7080 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7080 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  09:21:03 AM  Show Profile
Sherman is so cute with his blanket. Lisa, I can't help you with a homemade laundry detergent, I just use vinegar in my wash. BTW the only slobber I have to clean up is Annie's mess on the living room window that looks out on to front porch and street that she guards day and night. I hope a Farmgirl can help you out.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3136 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3136 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  09:30:44 AM  Show Profile
I can't say that it's perfect - I've yet to find anything that gets cow manure stains out of laundry - but when I make my laundry soap I use one box of borax, one box of super washing soda, and half of a big box (4lb) of baking soda combined with 2 bars of shredded Fels Naptha laundry soap or Zote laundry soap. I prefer the Zote but it's not always in stock at the store. I use 3 TBS per load of laundry. I'm not sure if the soap is free of the chemicals you're trying to get away from or not. I tried using my homemade soap but the tallow doesn't dissolve well in my crappy washer (I'm not going to get into that) and I'd find little bits of soap stuck to my clothes.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather
I would imagine cow manure would be quite the challenge.
I seem to remember somewhere along the line I also added the baking soda. I guess I will try again. I have a bunch of Zote, and it is old, so it will likely grind easier. I'm thinking of doing some liquid and dry and see how that goes.
And I stand corrected, the recipe I had called for Calgon Powder, not Oxydol, which appears to be a softener(Calgon), so I would imagine the BS would be similar. It also calls for 1/4 cup dishwashing powder. It's funny because on Amazon, the Calgon instructions on one of the boxes is in Russian, and one in what appears to be Italian. No English to be found.

Edited by - nubidane on Aug 13 2024 10:13:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

283 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  12:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a recipe that I would like to try. . .always looking for ways to get back to a simpler time when thigs seemed to clean better.
Thanks!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  2:13:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try it with borax, washing soda, Zote, baking soda, and dishwashing powder. Will also add some essential oils. I'll update ASAP.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  2:15:00 PM  Show Profile
Sara, we have several similar windows in our house
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7174 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7174 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2024 :  3:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I am not any help with the laundry detergent, but your dog is super adorable! I love that he has a blanket to carry around. It makes me smile. I hope you can figure out a laundry detergent that will help you get your laundry the way you need it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4284 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4284 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  02:15:34 AM  Show Profile
I make the same recipe as Heather. It cleans ok, but not as well on those stained up farm clothes. could be I am not using enough soap when doing a load of laundry. I do pretreat with dawn, and vinegar in a spray bottle. That works real well on stains. I have made lard soap, and I think that worked well in this recipe.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  07:36:55 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I forgot about the dawn/vinegar stain remover. Will try that again too
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3136 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3136 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  1:43:57 PM  Show Profile
I've never tried the dawn/vinegar - what is the ratio for this? I'd love to try it!

Michele - we'd be rich if we could find something to clean up those stained farm clothes LOL!

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4284 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4284 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2024 :  04:19:48 AM  Show Profile
My spray started out to clean the tub and shower walls, off of pinterest. Then I started using it on stains. I think it was basicly 50-50. It does work great on the tub and shower too. Spray it on, let it sit and scrub/wipe it off.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2024 :  10:18:43 AM  Show Profile
I finally made and used my new laundry soap recipe. I also made the Dawn/Vinegar stain remover. It seems to work just as well as the other detergents, although I have not tried it on whites yet. I am sure I will need to keep using bleach there, but I may try a load without it and try to spray the stains instead.
I do love the fresh smell of the Zote soap, so I will likely keep making it. Zote, borax and washing soda are always in stock at Walmarts around here.
The recipe I used was:
1 bar Zote soap, grated
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup dishwashing powder
I buzzed it up in the food processor, and it is very fine.
Warning, do NOT open the food processor right away, or you will likely inhale some of the powder. Ask me how I know that!

Edited by - nubidane on Aug 30 2024 1:28:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6651 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6651 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2024 :  12:22:45 PM  Show Profile
I have been using your recipe, Lisa, for many years. The only difference is that I use Ivory soap instead of Felt Naphtha due to the chemical make up of the soap. It seems to work out OK and so much cheaper than store bought laundry detergent too.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4284 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4284 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2024 :  03:54:21 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I never thought of adding a little dishwashing powder. Good idea.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2024 :  1:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Michele
One of my friends told me that an appliance repair guy told her that to clean a front loader to run a sanitizing cycle with a cup of dishwashing powder. No front loader here anymore (Speed Queen all the way for me baby!), but I did use that method when I had one. I still had some of the powder left. I guess it is a good booster
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4284 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4284 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2024 :  04:03:22 AM  Show Profile
That is what I was told to use when the boys were in sports. Cleans the grass stained uniforms up good. We still have a front loader and SQ is the way I will go for sure. Made in WI and have all metal parts I was told.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up:  Homemade Laundry Detergent Revisited Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page