melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  2:52:17 PM  Show Profile
I went to pick up my Whole Cloth Quilt from the auctioneers this morning (My birthday!) only to discover the quilt was not handmade, but made in China under the label of Williams and Sonoma. The quilt was automatically billed to my CC and the thought of having to bring it back and have them reverse the charges over 46.00 was just too much for me. I wondered why it went so low, but I figured it was because the color was too specific or maybe other bidders were looking for a more traditional quilt.

The made in China label was not mentioned in the listing info and it had a card attached to the quilt naming a prominent quilter in my area who donated it so naturally, I automatically assumed she had done this herself-BOY, was I angry.

So, I took the quilt home machined washed it and dried it on medium-and the quilt is still super STIFF-it reminds me of a tarp.

Any suggestions how I can make this made in China quilt soft?

I feel like throwing it out-I'm so upset. Needless, to say I contacted the auction house and told them and also said I would no longer bid on any future auctions. This is the 2nd time I've bid on an item that did not match the description in the listing. LIVE and LEARN I guess.

Melody

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7489 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7489 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  3:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I think you should be able to get your money back from the auction house for false or misleading (by omission) advertising. They clearly should have said it was made in China or at least said that they did not know if it was hand quilted or not. I have a quilt I bought that I thought was hand made at an antique shop and I discovered after closer examinination that it was most likely machine made. That was my own fault, because it was not labeled at all and the fabrics looked like older fabrics.

What is the name of the auction house so this doesn't happen to other farmgirls.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month
August 2015, April 2017 and June 2023

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 16 2023 3:02:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1161 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1161 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  3:03:00 PM  Show Profile
I would have been upset too! Maybe that local quilter didn’t know they added her card to this, and if not, would probably be very unhappy about this!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6938 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6938 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  3:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh no Melody. I am so sorry. That is super frustrating. I don't have any ideas on how to fix the quilt, but I just wanted to tell you I am sorry you have to deal with this frustrating situation. Hopefully you can get the quilt to feel like it should.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  5:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I contacted the auction house but never received a response. I'm SO done with them. It was only 46.00 not super expensive, but still a chunk of money-it was supposed to be my birthday present. I can be so gullible. It made me feel pretty stupid because I was so happy I had won it. But, it showed me how dishonest they are and that I'm probably not the only one who was hoodwinked by their less than honorable tactics. What's wrong with people?

Mel
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  5:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Wanda, I think you might be right-I did some research on her name-she's local and an article came up about her and her quilts. She even had a photo of herself sitting by a very nice sewing machine-I felt confident she was a good quilter and that one of her quilts would be a treasure to have so I kept bidding on it.

Mel
Go to Top of Page

Lacey
Chapter Guru

169 Posts

Rea
Davis Ca
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  5:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melody, Try using white vinegar in the rinse cycle 1/2 cup vinegar will get rid of some of the akaloids the use in manufacturing the material, then dry in the dryer with two tennis balls.

Rea Nakanishi
Farm Girl Of The Month Jan. 2022
“Action is the foundational key to all success.”
– Pablo Picasso
Go to Top of Page

Lacey
Chapter Guru

169 Posts

Rea
Davis Ca
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  5:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melody, Try using white vinegar in the rinse cycle 1/2 cup vinegar will get rid of some of the akaloids the use in manufacturing the material, then dry in the dryer with two tennis balls.

Rea Nakanishi
Farm Girl Of The Month Jan. 2022
“Action is the foundational key to all success.”
– Pablo Picasso
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7489 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7489 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  7:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I would contact the lady whose card was attached to the quilt and tell her what the auction house did. If she was not involved, and they hinted by putting the card there that the quilt was her work, maybe she could be the one to sue them for fraud.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  7:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Linda, The items in the auction were all donated to support I think a scholarship or something along those lines. -her card read donated by: When I mentioned the attached card that was one of the photos in the original listing she said "Oh, they all had cards indicating who donated-I don't remember seeing donated by: from any other lots-I could be mistaken. I just thought that because she was a local quilter it was one of her quilts. It was it just wasn't made by her-some company in China manufactured it.

Mel
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7489 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7489 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  9:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
OK, sounds like you've done all you can. You can try what people have suggested to soften up the quilt and enjoy it as much as you can.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2023 :  05:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Melody,
I second what Rea suggested. White vinegar will soften. It may take a few washes. Not good business practice by those promoting. Seems we have to be extremely careful these days. Things like this have happened to me also. I would have tried to return it and also contacted my credit card company to let them know you've contacted the auction house and no response. They will sometimes remove charges which they take back from the auction house or whomever received the money.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Shady Auction Quilt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page