littlegreen
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Katelyn
Spanish Fork UT
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  07:47:03 AM  Show Profile
So maybe this is not new to anyone, but we were having terrible problems with hard water stains on our dishes, especially the glasses... So finally my honey and I looked it up online and after deciding we need a new detergent and a new rinse aid we also discovered that it can be cleaned off with vinegar and a little elbow grease! Perfect!! Just in time for a neighborhood get together yesterday! No more embarrassment with nasty feeling glasses, all good, all clean! Hope this helps someone else too!

www.littlegreendesigns.com ~ handbound blank books, purses, jewelry, and other fun stuff for the naturist in you!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Katelyn-

Vinegar is a Farmgirl favorite on this forum- Thanks for reminding us of this use. If you hand wash you can add a splish to your rinse water to help your dishes dry faster with less residue and if you use an automatic dishwasher you can put vinegar in the rinse aid spot too. It also works wonders with laundry instead of using Downy or some such. I put it in my fabric softener dispenser for every load.

For more tips go to the upper right hand side of the screen and click on "search". Search with in the "Cleaning Up" forum for all posts containing Vinegar. There are tons of tips!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  7:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for the vinegar tips. I use it to wash my china and collectibles to get an extra sparkle. I'm going to try the vinegar in the dishwasher now. We have rather hard well water here & it would be nice to find a way to get rid of the spots.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  07:23:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a new use for vinegar. I just got some new linoleum flooring and am picky about what I use to clean it. I found in a magazine to use equal parts vinegar and water-- which I knew-- but the neat trick is to use about a tsp to a tbsp of baby oil depending on the size of the bucket of water. I could not be more pleased with the result. I used to be a bleach addict and it was killing my sinus!
Go to Top of Page

littlegreen
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Katelyn
Spanish Fork UT
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  07:25:14 AM  Show Profile
Good to know, thanks Michelle... I'm gonna try that, have to agree on the smell of bleach, blegh...

www.littlegreendesigns.com ~ handbound blank books, purses, jewelry, and other fun stuff for the naturist in you!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  1:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

The Baby oil doesn't make the floor slippery?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  3:44:53 PM  Show Profile
My update on using the vinegar in the dishwasher, is it's great! No streaks or water spots on anything! I like it much better then the liquid clear rinse. That stuff smelled & left a film on everything. Thanks again Alee for the tip!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  7:32:19 PM  Show Profile
No, I almost did not try the baby oil because I was so worried about it being oily and slippery. I had my water very hot and but the baby oil in last, I only used about 1 tsp to half a bucket of vinegar/water. I then mixed it with a wire whisk. It just left the floor nice and clean with a small shine, it did not look oily nor was it slippery. I wonder if the vinegar doesn't do something to the oil, although I would not use to much oil because it would be slick.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  10:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the great tip Michelle- I will have to try that after I go to the store. Can you belive it- I am out of vinegar! Now how did I let that happen?

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Vinegar on Hard Water Stains Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page