Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  07:08:10 AM  Show Profile

I love post cards, and pretty papers. These a few of the postcards, and the drawer of the little chest is full. This is upstairs, not in the craft area. Maybe I have to much stuff, Noooooo that can't be.
My daughter April is coming to pick me up soon, going to the thrift store. Haven't been there is a long time. Its only about 5 minutes from here. Looking for some yarn, once in a while I find some there. Of course always looking for that bag of post cards. You just never know what might be there. Got up at six and did a lot of house work. Grandma used to tell me you never know when the king or Queen might come by, I said that's not going to happen, and she would say, no probably not but its not impossible.

NANCY JO

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1197 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nancy, I love your Grandma’s saying. Maybe I’ll use that to motivate me to do my daily chores, lol. It’s so easy to let things slide, especially when I have something crafty to work on. Getting up early like you is another thing I need to work on. Since retiring, I have gotten slack in all areas.
I’ll tell myself “if you think of it as fun, a task is quickly done.”

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6649 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6649 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  07:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Love all you postcards Nancy Jo as well as your Grandma’s saying. Yours too Wanda Sue. I have gotten lazy since my surgery as I have always been an early bird. I love the morning quiet, but I do sleep just a bit later now, and love it too!
Have a great day beautiful ladies!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Jan 17 2023 07:39:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2692 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2692 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, I too share your love for post cards, I have a few my great grandparents received many years ago, I treasure them. Trying to find something special to do with them to get them out of my family history box... perhaps just an old fashioned photo album would be nice to display them. I hope you find some specials treasure while your out thrifting! xo

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6624 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6624 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  4:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, I must say that is an awesome collection of postcards! Postcards fascinate me, especially the ones with a written message and a readable postmark date. The represent an earlier time in our American history when the arrival of the USPS made it possible for mail to be delivered to your home and collected from you ready to mail to friends and family. Plus, postcards are a way that people could share a vacation spot, an era of history, a greeting card, a love note, and holiday cards. The early costs per card was 1 cent so people saved pennies in order to send mail to loved ones. It is all very interesting to me!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2692 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2692 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  4:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I too, love the history and the messages written on them, I have purchased a couple framed in copper from a local thrift shop just because I loved them, both written on the back. So sweet and sentimental. Wish times were still like that.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6624 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6624 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  4:51:29 PM  Show Profile
I agree April!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3105 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3105 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:34:52 PM  Show Profile
What a drawer full of treasures!!! I don't have a postcard collection, but I like to look through them at antique shops when I see them. I'm also intrigued by old portraits. I always wonder who they are and what their story is. And how did their picture get to be in a store?!? Can't wait to see what goodies you found at the thrift store!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1581 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1581 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Postcards are truly magical to me. A quick story or greeting and then they were mailed away. As many of you have already said, I love the vintage postcards when you can read them clearly. I think to my self, oh what stories this postcard could tell of its travels! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pretty paper stuff Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page