Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Finding Joy in a Friend with Cancer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finding Joy in a Friend with Cancer Next Topic  

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  11:22:12 AM  Show Profile
I am finding joy in a friend with cancer. My very dear friend named Narvie has had ovarian cancer now for 3 years. She has chemo therapy now once a week and is very weak and sick. BUT this wonderful woman lights up my life everytime I go to visit her! No matter how sick she is, she has always opened her door to me. Just this week when I went by she opened the door quickly and said "Come in! I'm running off to the bathroom"! A little later she came out in her silk leopard pajama's, very weak but yet so beautiful. She asked me to stay. I did and our visits are usually a couple hours long. We talk about life, dealth, husbands, children, grandchildren, Heavenly Father and lots of good old "girl talk"! The funny thing is we are so different from each other! She is tall and thin, I am short and round. She decorates in leopard prints and bambo, I decorate with pastels and French Country. She grew up a True Blue Farm Girl in Idaho, I grew up a Beach City Girl from California...the list goes on! With all our differnces we came together through our beliefs (church). What a beauitful commom thread we share. Her Mother passed away a year ago. Narvie asked if I would dress her sweet Mother for burial. I did with love which meant so much to Narvie. Without a doubt someday soon, Narvie's husband will ask me to dress Narvie for burial. I shall with love. It's just something we do. I will miss her dearly and our special visits. I just wanted to share with all of you about my special friend who never turns me away no matter what kind of day she is having. I want to be just like her...I think I will go sew her some leopard print potholders for our next visit.

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

"A friend is what the heart needs all the time" -Henry Van Dyke

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Apr 21 2007 12:14:45 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  11:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane-

Your post is so heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Narvie sounds like a wonderful and amazing woman. How did you two meet? It's always amazing who becomes our closest friends- often those who we wouldn't necessarily always anticipate!

I hope Narvie starts to feel better. I will keep you both in my thoughts!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  3:15:00 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

fondly, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!

www.strawberryhousequilting.com
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  7:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Narvie sounds like an amazing lady! How very lucky and blessed you both are to have each other!! My thoughts and prayers are with you both!!
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  7:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Narvie sounds like she is something special.
You are lucky to know her.

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  11:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Maryjane!
What a bittersweet story! Narvie sounds like a wonderful soul who has blessed those around her and now us here by you sharing her with us. I will be thinking of and praying for her and it is my wish that she reaps in surplus all the joy and love she has sown! Hugs to you and her, and thank you for sharing your friendship and your friend with us! It is amazing how some people no matter how rough their life gets or how hard things may be for them, always find a way to bless and love others they meet. I am sure she will adore those potholders!
Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  12:24:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, The tears are flowing. What a beautiful account you have shared with us. It reminds me of an old poem, don't know who wrote it: "Love wasn't put in your heart to stay, Love isn't love 'til you give it away."

You and Narvie are in my prayers and thoughts. Keep giving that wonderful love to each other, keep visiting her and help her to keep that farmgirl spirit shining bright!

Hugs and prayers,
Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  05:14:28 AM  Show Profile
aunt george, I love that poem also & can't remember who wrote it! What a sweet, sad story. Love & prayers sent to all of you.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  06:16:36 AM  Show Profile
I have been through cancer as well with my husband. He had testicular cancer and it had spread. He had to have chemo (for 3 months) and then due to the chemo had a major heartattack. He is now cured- but for me it was hard. My husband though said I was not allowed to get scared- this was a win win for him as his preference was to stay with me and our boys- but if God had a different plan- he would be in Heaven with the Lord. His strength and outlook really inspired me. We are usually more blessed by someone else and how they deal with things. Your friend is a strong woman and yes- it will be a win-win for her as well. My prayers go out to yu and her.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  07:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kimberly,
What a beautiful thought! Thank you so much sharing it!
With Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  07:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Georgann, Michele, and All,
I looked that poem up and this is what I found.

A bell is no bell 'til you ring it,
A song is no song 'til you sing it,
And love in your heart
Wasn’t put there to stay -
Love isn’t love
'Til you give it away.
~Oscar Hammerstein, Sound of Music, "You Are Sixteen (Reprise)"
( I do not know if this is the original source or not)

and a few others...

The love we give away is the only love we keep.

~ Elbert Hubbard.

Unable are the loved to die for love is immortality.

~ Emily Dickinson.

Hugz,
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  08:12:21 AM  Show Profile
MJ,
You and Narvie are so Blessed by each others friendship.
Sometimes we go through life with blinders on, unaware of others around us. We forget to let them into our hearts, to experience their joy as well as their pain....
How blessed our lives become when we lift the blinders & open our hearts.
Thank you for sharing your friend Narvie with us.
I will wrap her in prayers.

<>< <>< <><

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  11:42:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Sweet Ladies! Thank you sooooo very much for all of your kind words, poems, thoughts and prayers. I am so grateful for the love and support I have received here. You are all such smart, wise women filled to the brim with love! Narvie is fighting a tough battle now, hard to eat, sleep and is very restless. The pain is severe. Cancer is in her tummy now. She has told me many times that she is not afraid at all to die and is ready when the Lord wants to take her home. She said that she is looking forward to seeing her Mother. Yes, she is still blessing lives for those who surround her! I am so grateful I had my "blinders" off when I met Narvie! Thanks Grace for that thought. You all have touched my heart forever!

Love,
Maryjane Lee

A House Is A Home Where Love Dwells
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  06:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Prayers going out for her. What a bittersweet thing. Good that she will have a new body someday. I look forward to meeting her in glory.

Thanks for posting.

Rebecca

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  07:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh Maryjane Lee
What a blessing it is for you ladies to have each other!! My prayers are with you both. Make sure to hug and kiss each other as much as possible and don't forget to tell her how much you love her!!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finding Joy in a Friend with Cancer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page