Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Need advice on packing plants for shipping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need advice on packing plants for shipping Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  10:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sometime in the future, my dh and I would like to have a business selling daylilies on our farm. And I would like to have a website and sell from there, as well as in person. But I'm just not sure about packing/shipping my daylilies. So I'm asking for advice. When you get plants in the mail(bareroot), are they usually: wrapped in plastic, paper, or what? Is the packing material damp? I'd greatly appreciate any advice. When I get some suggestions, I'm going to have some daylily giveaways using all the suggestions and ask for feedback. Thanks a million for any and all help!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile
The plants I ordered were in a double type of blister pack. The bottom half was in moist peat, the top half larger and I would assume the purpose was just to keep the humidity higher. They would be lightweight to ship too.
Funny story...years ago I mentioned to my wonderful grandmother that I always loved the peonies in her garden. So she dug up some, wrapped them in a plastic bag and mailed them to me. Only she would be able to do this successfully!! But survive they did and now I have some in my garden too.
Good luck in your venture Janice..sounds like a neat business.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  11:14:47 AM  Show Profile
when I order my plants from Park Seeds I am always impressed with the packing..they use wet newspapers that are then wrapped with dry straw..this keeps everything nice and moist and doesn't destroy the box.

On the daylilies I think that you could use something like a mesh produce type bag to ship them in as well? The main thing is that you don't want the product getting too wet or staying too wet during the shipping, but to also allow for a little bit of air breathing during transit around the roots.
(it's no fun getting a rotten plant in the mail)

When I store my bulbs for things like narcissus and so forth..I just dig them up..clean them off lightly(..and then I get brown paper lunch bags and punch holes in them with a hole punch.but they are stored dry..not like the daylilies.

But of course with daylilies you will have some green tops, you'll want to cut those down to about 2-3 inches on the greens..I would think....then take a little bit of damp newspaper and then wrap with straw then put the mesh baggy tied around the bulb part..leave the green unwrapped, then lay in bubble wrapping. I think this would be a sufficient way to ship them.I personally would not pack them into plastic bags, it gets too humid in the bags and would promote disease and mildew and mold I would think.

Anyhow best of wishes.
Let me know what types of daylilies you'll be selling..I love daylilies and could certainly use some more in my yard.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  12:46:34 PM  Show Profile
When I got bareroot roses shipped from David Austin, it seemed like they were simply in plastic, and weren't dripping, but were fairly damp. The bag was muddy, and they were just lain in a box with about 4-6 inches on either side. I actually remember feeling a little let down when I opened them up because it was rather "unceremonious"

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  12:01:27 AM  Show Profile
My daylillies came dry as dirt in plastic baggy. But yesterday I got some tomatoe PLANTS in the mail and they were simply in an oversized box layed on their side and completely surrounded with peanuts. Plants were still moist. I was awfully impressed that they ended up looking so good when they arrived. I would much rather get daylilly plants than bareroots. I'd pay more too. Just a thought.

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need advice on packing plants for shipping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page