Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 French seams--yikes!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic French seams--yikes!!! Next Topic  

farmkitty
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Angela
Anderson South Carolina
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  03:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Ya'll I started a new project yesterday...so frustrated with it all ready. I need to finsh with french seams and no matter how hard I try I just can't make myself understand these. Does someone want to try to get it thru my thick skull? Or, do you have another suggestion to encase /finsh seams in sheer fabrics? Thank you so much to however is up to the challenge!! Angela

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  04:03:17 AM  Show Profile
The only way to tell you is wrong sides of fabric together, sew a seam. Trim the seam to 1/8th of an inch . Then press your fabric with right sides together and sew along encasing the 1/8 inch trimmed seam. Press again. Clear as mud! I do best with pictures so heres a link to pictures: http://www.sewneau.com/how.to/french.seam.html

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

Edited by - UrbanChick on Apr 18 2007 04:07:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  6:30:52 PM  Show Profile
wrong sides together, then right sides. You're hiding your seam inside.......... I love french seams, very old fashioned and tidy....... jo ayako, I'm going to take a look at that, very nice!

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  7:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you have MaryJane's book she has a picture and explanation of both the French Seam and the Imitation French seam on page 204-205. That’s about as much help as this fellow rookie can offer! Good luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  12:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Are the seams someplace difficult on the garment? What are you sewing? They are actually fun (I think...) and leave the garment much more professional looking. Usually not every seam is finished that way on a garment, is that what's confusing you? Can you post a pic of the pattern or garment?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic French seams--yikes!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page