Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  7:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just got back from my (monthly) Costco trip. I found the coolest item in their fresh produce section. It is a green house looking plastic container with two rounded sections on each end. Inside the rounded sections is a living, growing head of Butter Lettuce!

Around here butter lettuce sells for about 5 bucks a head, and this was only $3! You are supposed to keep the exposed roots moist, so I filled up my container today.

As both heads are rather large, I plucked the outside leaves. I know that some lettuce varieties will keep producing leaves if you keep plucking them-

Does anyone know if Butter Lettuce is like this? I am hoping so. If these stay healthy I will transplant them outside so they can continue to grow and be strong.

Ciao

Alee

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  12:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
How wonderful!! I do not remember about the lettuce sorry! I do love Costco though!! Best wishes for your lettuce!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  06:12:36 AM  Show Profile
I need to go to Costco. I love butter lettuce. I use the leaves like a tortilla and make little wraps for my lunch. Like the lettuce wraps at Chili's but better because I can control what I'm eating. ;)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  11:13:38 AM  Show Profile
I love Costco too. I always spend waay to much there but I learned a new trick from a friend. Never use a cart! Just go with what you can carry unless it's toilet tissue day.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  3:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I bought toilet paper from Costco in August and haven't had to buy any since! For $15 that’s not too bad!

I set myself a budget and keep a running tally as I go shopping. Once I reach that total- no more is allowed in the cart. I always try to get the essentials first and then get the "extras" later.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  4:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Think globally, act locally?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  12:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Funny thing is...it's grown just a few miles from me :-) When I worked at a preschool in the summer a few years ago the mom that worked there (I think her family might own it-not sure) would bring in about 20+ every week for families and staff, so I got to try it out for free. It was REALLY good!
Great local company.
Go to Top of Page

Jane Carney
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Jane
Hidden Valley Lake CA
84 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  12:28:02 PM  Show Profile
My daughter works at Costco so it's a big part of our lives. Great deals, we shop together and then split it so we don't have such a stockpile of goods to store. And if you don't have health insurance, check Costco pharmacy for your prescriptions. They haved saved me a lot of money.

Jane

http://janesdesign.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  12:49:58 PM  Show Profile
My daughter also works at Costco. On the plus side, they certainly treat their employees well. On the down side, I hate shopping there. Too much imported and GE products, but mostly because I always spend WAY too much there which is exactly what the store is intended to make you do.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  8:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, it is easy to get carried away at Costco. I just watch what I am shopping for and only go for that. Since I have to budget everything pretty closely, Costco is almost a necessity for me at this point. Someday when I have a bit more money to spend I would love to buy more completely locally. As it is I do spend more than I should at our local co-op. :) Sometimes it is just too hard to resist!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Costco is awesome- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page