MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  2:00:46 PM  Show Profile
We don't have hancocks any where near where I live. But, it's near my sister and she loves it! I loved it too when I went there. It was around when I was little, then went out of business, my mom used to get every thing there. I sure wish we had one here.

Don't get me wrong, I am not downing JoAnn's. But.......sadly the ones around here hire people that know nothing about their products, so they never know where anything is or that it even exsist. Andthey are very expensive compared to WM and hancocks.
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  4:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Went to "the mart" today and asked the fabric gal what was going on...she said that she was told in a meeting that they are only taking the fabric departments out of the Super-stores.
Amanda

theheadlettuce.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  4:08:38 PM  Show Profile
hmmmm. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, unless I absolutely have to- and I guess this is one reason why - they blow all the small local retailers out of the water with their low priced made-in-Asia goods, then one day someone in corporate HQ makes a decision, and then there isn't anyone left to supply the goods to the local market...

The small grocery that sold local produce and locally produced meat/dairy products across the street from the new Wal-Mart just closed their doors. They couldn't compete.

Thank goodness we have a small locally-owned quilt shop, a local hardware store, and a new local butcher just opened here in our small village. They are closer to my house than WalMart anyway - even though Walmart is closer to work.... I make a real effort to patronize the local businesses rather than the big chains. I may pay a few dollars more but I find it is worthwhile to keep the local dollars circulating in the local economy.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  9:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree. I like to try and patronize smaller stores rather than the larger chains, but sometimes my budget just doesn't allow for it.

However, I do love a certain store here in town and I will pay more if I have to just to support them. They are vacuum sales and repair shop. I have bought both of my vacuums (used) from him and I got a sewing machine there too! The repair guy is an older gentleman and runs the shop with his wife. His wife is very talented at quilting and they are both so sweet. They just make my day whenever I go in there. When I bought the sewing machine the man threw in about $20 worth of free items to help me get started and even gave me a quick sewing lesson so I could get started right away.

A little while ago we took our vacuum in because it had suddenly stopped working. I explained to them that I did not have much money and could we just get an estimate so I would know when I could pay to get it repaired. He repaired it anyway and charged me less than he normal charges for repairs. They are so sweet and you could never find that kind of customer service at a big box store!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Don't ya just miss dearly the old "Mom & Pop" type of establishments?
We have become so use to the Mega stores- 1 stop shopping, that we have given way the personal attention that we would get in the small shops..... phooey, I miss the days when gas station attendents offered to pump gas for a lady. And...you are so right, some of the employees that work at the big chain craft stores know little about crafting let alone where anything is. I have noticed that the ladies at the Joann's in the next town over are so busy yacking with each other that they pay little attention to customers. I had a young gal cut fabric for me, she started to run her shears through the fabric & I asked her not to, after a rather indignant look (toward me) she asked why & I told her it pulls on the nap of the fabric. I should have said "Because I am the customer & I asked you not too!". When I was in my early 20's & worked in a fabric store & we were forbidden to run our shears through the fabric, we were told to cut the fabric slowly. I guess our boss was looking out for the customer...
Ok, I am done venting....I just really miss the smaller fabric stores.
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:53:35 PM  Show Profile
i miss roaming in their fabric department too .. every now and then .. they would have nice 'homespuns' on sale! i can still get high quality home-spuns at 'market' in columbus .. kentucky doesn't have the 'plethora' of fabric stores that we had 'back east' though. two small fabric stores have opened in our county recently .. and i sure do like the idea of supporting local women in their businesses much more so than the 'mega-stores'. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  4:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Went to my Walmart (Murrieta, CA) yesterday and my store said that they will continue to sell fabric. They said that the store never heard of this. Maybe it is some stores??? Can't live without Walmart fabric and notions! Hugs, Maryjane Lee

"A House Is A Home Where Love Dwells"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Fabrics closing Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page