Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What is in your sewing box?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What is in your sewing box? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What do you consider “critical” for your sewing box? What do you make a special trip to the store for if you run out?

Alee

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  5:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Pins, thread in various colors, seam ripper, scissors (good ones) hem ruler, needles.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  5:56:18 PM  Show Profile
Fabric and more fabric and yet more for inspiration I also like magazines and books for ideas.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  6:57:05 PM  Show Profile
critical? my 250 Reading Glasses!!!!!!
Give me a Joann's or Michael's 40% off coupon & I will go there in a heartbeat....even if I don't need anything.....just gotta use that coupon, it's a girl crafter thing!
I have said it before & will say it again, 'the one who dies w/the most craft supplies,,,wins!'
LOL!
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  6:58:33 PM  Show Profile
I have a favorite round "button basket" with leather handles that I got years ago. It sits next to the machine or next to me when I do hand work. It has pin cushion, needles, thread, seam ripper, small scissors, sewing gauge and any extras I might need for a specific project. It's kinda my portable sewing room.

Teddie

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  7:57:40 PM  Show Profile
I have tried to maintain "project specific" supplies... but I have too many times gotten frustrated at not having what I need on-hand when some idea/pattern strikes me... so now I keep thread, snaps, elastic, pre-made binding tape, buttons, hook & eyes, embroidery floss, scissors (in various sizes), roller cutter and mats.

I cannot find my sewing gauge. :P I think that is going to warrant a special trip.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  8:27:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a very messy sewing basket that I love..and separate "project" bags...little totes usually. I always go back to that messy basket..mostly just the stuff mentioned above..I keep safety pins and a little measuring tape in it as well as the stuff others mentioned..and some mending stuff...lots of sizes of needles too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  3:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Messy, messy, messy. Can't honestly tell you what's in there. I could tell you what I go there to look for, and then describe all the things I'm surprised to find in there. Maybe I should just clean it out and turn it into a flower basket... I've moved into sewing crates. I do try to keep my sewing scissors, tomato pin cushion, quilting pins, and cutting wheel in there with at least a spool of black and white thread. The rest depends on what I've been working on and what I've yet to "file" into the crates.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  3:42:40 PM  Show Profile
My sewing basket has thread, seam ripper, pins, needles, hooks and eyes, snaps, scissors, tape measure, and tootsie rolls. I get hungry when I sew! Susan
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  4:36:12 PM  Show Profile
a box? people are able to keep sewing contained to a box!? that would never happen here.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  6:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL Tasha!

I keep my scrap fabrics in a box (I am just beginning so it still fits into one) and my current sewing project (diapers) are here on my sewing table in various stages of completion. Then I have my little box that has things like bobbins, needles, and thread in it. I just bought a seam ripper and nicer scissors. I didn't realize all my scissors were bad until my mom was up here trying to do a sewing project and we were having a hard time cutting through fleece.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Just one box? hmmmm...
Well, if I were to just get down to bare bones, I would say, pins, needles, sewing gauge, tape measure, thread (lots of thread), a few vintage trims that were Mom's that I will never use (just good for the soul), buttons, scraps of black flannel and denim (husband works construction), shears and pinking shears, (both with squishy handles cuz of my fibromyalgia), a small awl and a seam ripper. Geez, thats getting down to basics!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  07:50:25 AM  Show Profile
in the 'dolly makin' world .. there are two 'tools' that are absolutely fantastic .. one is the TURNING TUBE .. you can whip those little arms and legs inside out in two seconds .. and the other is a STUFFING TOOL .. for packing the stuffing neatly and tightly into the tiniest corners! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:30:09 AM  Show Profile
No box, either. Mostly my "grab & go" project is knitting or crocheting.
But my favorite sewing notion is this cool, sharp, almost scapel like seam ripper. I've even used it to take (cut) out really bad slivers.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Frannie-

What is the turning tube? Something you buy or something you made?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  11:05:51 AM  Show Profile
sewing crates(huge, like steamer trunks or shipping crates on barges at sea...well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it feels that big when I go to look for that bit of fabric I know I have somewhere...) not boxes (small)...and no, sewing refuses to be contained...you're right.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  5:58:12 PM  Show Profile
I only listed my portable basket that goes from machine to cutting table to armchair. Sewing in a box huh?.....OH MY I remember when I could contain it in one small closet,but that was YEARS ago. Now it has it's own room with several overflow areas. Too Many UFOs.
How I love to sew.
So much fabric and so little time :) TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  06:00:00 AM  Show Profile
I just love my magnetic pincushion - it also picks up the occasionally dropped needle off the floor. I love hearing about everyone's sewing "boxes" (or rooms!!!). All of my sewing happens to be in a corner of the small upstairs room - also known as the "closet" room AND nursery -- and you're all correct - it refuses to be contained!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What is in your sewing box? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page