Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  4:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
not to mention all the other plants I seem to be torturing to death! grrrr!

We are finally going to get to move to the farm we've been working on for a year and I can have my first garden in 13 years. In my zeal, I planted a lot of things indoors to get a head start. In the past, my efforts had been thwarted by cats who managed to eat off the top of lovely seedlings. Now I have a vacant bedroom and can keep my seedlings in their own room. How lovely, right?

I have a grow light and have been careful to not over water, etc., and everything came up so nicely. Tomatoes, peppers, some flowers and now they are "croaking" - looks like damping off to me - and I will probably have to replant but at this point it might be better and just wait a couple of weeks and direct sow even though it is still chilly out.
What do you think I'm doing wrong??? I wanted to save some money doing it myself rather than buying plants plus the satisfaction of starting my own. Help!

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  5:26:01 PM  Show Profile
How's the air circulation in the room? If the door is shut to keep the nibbly cats out, then the lack of air movement might contribute to unhealthy seedlings. Sure sounds like you are doing everything right, and your hunch about dampening off could be it. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. At least it is early enough to get seeds in the ground. :) A sudden frost last night nipped the seedlings I so carefully started too. I feel your pain. Good thing we've got more seed.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  04:03:24 AM  Show Profile
I think it's an air circulation problem too. You can turn a fan on and let it blow around them gently. Air current serves a couple of purposes. In a natural setting the seedlings would be moving in the breeze. This strengthens cell walls which strengthens the plant. It also helps keep disease under control.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  9:05:07 PM  Show Profile
I agree that a fan may help. I don't like starting them in the house - I start mine in a cold frame (a wooden box with a glass door laying on top) cuz
I kill them in the house. I'm not good a hardening them off before they go out. You have my sympathies, its so frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  10:41:16 PM  Show Profile
I can't help much on the topic, but I love the thread name! "I am a Tomato Murderer..." *giggles* The "..." seemed especially omnious so I had to check it out!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  04:07:01 AM  Show Profile
I do too. It made methink of the movie ""Attack of the Killer Tomatos" lol!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  05:40:29 AM  Show Profile
I had some tomato plants I thought were goners a few years back, and I put them in the ground anyway when it came time to plant outdoors, giving them a little corner space. Lo and behold, they strengthened and lived! I was shocked. If you are planting soon, maybe you could give it a try.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I am a Tomato Murderer... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page