Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Heather's first horse PICTURES***
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Heather's first horse PICTURES*** Next Topic
Page: of 2

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  2:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Well I just read Lady Crystal's chat regarding: to get a horse or not to get a horse and I thought I would tell you our latest news.

Heather just bought her first horse. I was pretty hesitant at first because she starts college in fall. The first 2 years she'll be driving back and forth (1 hour each way), the second two years she will be 3 1/2 hours away. I almost said no, but then I remembered how much I wanted a horse when I was a kid and thought I am not going to squash her dreams. If she can do it and we can help I am going to help her out.

We have never had a horse before, but Heather joined 4-H back in January and she and I have been learning a lot. I talked my hubby into clearing some land (between 1/2 acre & 1 acre) so we can build a small barn and pasture.

So far Heather is working the cost of the horse and tack off ($500.00). My hubby is clearing the land and putting in the fence $1500). She just bought the first months feed (Alfalfa bale, senior feed, wet cob & a wormer) that was about $45.00. This Sunday the Ferrier is coming out, because Trixie scraped up her hoof yesterday and they need a good filing and shaping $25.00. This summer we are building the barn (good thing my hubby can build) It'll cost about $1000 (small lean-to style to get the horse out of the weather when necessary). Plus Heather takes lessons each week $15.00 and she has a 4-5 hour 4-H lesson each month $5.00. I hope by listing all of the costs it'll help others who are considering a horse. I also hope you can give me ideas on cost savings for care & boarding our new addition to our family.

My hubby is looking for a horse trailer and truck now for Heather and we hope to keep it under $6000. We are going to sell two other trucks (Nissan & 6 cyl Ford) They are both Manual transmission and since she is a new driver we thought it would be better to get her an old dodge diesel with an automatic transmission.

I also just bought about 6 books by Cherry Hill on care, feeding, housing of horses, so we can take a crash course during the next couple of weeks.

Our friend who was the previous owner of the horse is going to teach Heather basic first aid to help keep the vet bills low.

I'll post pictures as soon as Heather gets back and she can tell you more. If you have any words of wisdom please send it our direction. I want our family to be a responsible horse owner and I don't want it to put us in the poor house along the way.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!

Edited by - Garden_artist on Apr 09 2007 3:22:47 PM

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  2:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations. I bet she is so excited. I can't believe how cheap lessons are were you live. They are around 50 dollars an hour here. Good luck with everything. I can't wait to see the pictures.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  3:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Here's the pic's
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/LittleBeetle/PICT0558.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/LittleBeetle/PICT0555.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/LittleBeetle/PICT0551-1.jpg
Isn't she beautiful...

Go to Top of Page

Muttley
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Heather
A tiny town Oregon
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  3:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Muttley's MSN Messenger address
Hey Gals!
So I see mom told you about my new BIG pet! :D I am so excited! She is absolutely beautiful and I think that she will be a great first horse for me!
Trixie is 15 yearls old and has had 2 foals. She is 15.3 hands, and I am SO EXCITED!!!!! I rode her for the first time yesterday, bareback, which is my favorite and her favorite, and I really really like her. She is a paint and absolutley gorgeous.
I hope that all of the gals will have some tips for me!!!!
Heather Rene

"To fear God and obey His commands in the destiny of Man."
Go to Top of Page

Muttley
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Heather
A tiny town Oregon
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Muttley's MSN Messenger address
I hope the pics came through!!!

"And on the 8th day, GOD made COWGIRLS!!! :D"
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  3:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather and Tammy, she sure is beautiful.. I had to go out and look in my pasture and see if my horse Ambush was gone. They look like sisters. You will have so much fun. Good for both of you. Marybeth

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  3:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Marybeth,
I understand she is from WA. As soon as we get her papers, we'll post her full name so you can see if they are related.

We are so excited...

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  4:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Heather-She is just beautiful!! You two look loike best friends alreaady!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  10:15:49 PM  Show Profile
congratulations. she's a beautiful horse!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  10:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats! I am sure you two are going to have so much fun together!

One thing I learned at the horse ranch that I used to work at is that Alphafa can make some horses "hot". If she starts acting spooky or high energy I would suggest that you think about just feeding Timothy grass hay. Unless she is underweight she might not need the extra calories that alphafa can give.

It sounds like you guys are trying to get educated and doing all the right things!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Muttley
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Heather
A tiny town Oregon
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  12:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Muttley's MSN Messenger address
Marybeth: Hi! That is so funny that our horses look alike! Send me a pic if you can!
Everyone:
I am so happy that I was able to get Trixie! Yesterday my daddy bought me an old dodge truck to haul her in!!! I am really excited! My grandma (who lives in Oklahoma) has a 3-horse trailer and she will be driving it over for me! So I have my horse, truck and soon my trailer! I am so excited and happy!
Thanks for all of the tips!
Heather

Go to Top of Page

DeeDee
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Denise
Wyoming
162 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  1:18:03 PM  Show Profile
She is surely a beauty and its so delightful to hear the excitement in your daughters voice with her new 4-legged friend. Much better than hanging around the house on the phone,or playing video games.
Enjoy her and give her lots of love.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  1:45:34 PM  Show Profile
so happy for you & shes a beauty. Enjoy your horse.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  3:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Congrats!! I'm so thrilled for you. It's funny, my mini paint looks something like Trixie only itty bitty. Keep us posted on how you two are doing. Thanks for the great pictures. Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  3:19:15 PM  Show Profile
She's a beauty, Heather! Here's to many happy hours together!

There are many very able horsemen here, so if you have questions, fire away. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  4:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Heather, here is a picture of Ambush. Her registered name is Gallant Ambush. She is one dirty girl too. I just ran out and took this. She has a wide white blaze like Trixie does too.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Apr 11 2007 4:16:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  4:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow they really do look alike thats amazing!!!

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  08:37:13 AM  Show Profile
I know I already told ya Heather, but that is just one beautiful horse...I'm very happy for you that you got to get her!
I hope all is well with you,
Grinz,

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  1:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on the new horse!!

Ok, here's a couple of suggestions. Please don't leave a halter on her when you aren't there unless it has at least a leather crownpiece (the part that goes over the top of her head). This is in case she gets it caught on something, that halter won't break. If it has a leather crownpiece, most likely it will break but the best way is to not leave one on her at all. Safety issue. She doesn't look to me like you'll have probs catching her anyway!! Also, it seems a little snug on her head. Might check the fit or even go one size larger.

If you are feeding senior feed, do you really need the wet cob?? A second cutting of alfalfa is pretty good for a riding horse.

The pics are great and I'm very, very happy for you!! Give her a huggie for me!!

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Muttley
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Heather
A tiny town Oregon
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  5:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Muttley's MSN Messenger address
OH MY GOODNESS!
Ambush look JUST like TIXIE! That is so funny!!! Hahahah! Wow....thankyou all for you warm words. I am so excited about my pretty girl. I rode her for the first time a few days ago, and she is wonderful!
I'll keep you all posted!
Heather

Go to Top of Page

Muttley
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Heather
A tiny town Oregon
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  5:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Muttley's MSN Messenger address
Winona:
I am not currently feeding her wet cob. She has senior feed and alfalfa at night...thanks for the tip about the halter!
Heather

Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  7:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Heather! She looks like a keeper!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Winona,
At this time Trixie is uncovered on about 100 acres. From what I understand the previous owner gives her the senior feed and alfalfa and wet cob at night when it cold. Do you recommend just alfalfa at night when its cold. This is all such a learning process for us. We just got about books in from Cherry Hill about maintaining, housing and caring for a horse. What a lot of info to take in!!!

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  2:01:33 PM  Show Profile
Actually, alfalfa is better as a warm weather feed. Grass hay is best for when it's cold; the process of digestion causes it to generate 33% more internal heat. It's all that fiber doing it's thing....
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  4:40:13 PM  Show Profile
So Mary Ann what is the wet cobb used for?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  4:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cob stands for Corn, Oats, and Barley. It a grain mix that horses get that is sweetened with molasses. Most horses _love_ it.

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Heather's first horse PICTURES*** Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page