Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you planted the three sisters together? They are corn, squash and beans, and they were planted by the native americans together -- the corn acts as a trellis for the beans, and the squash keeps the weeds down. I've never done it, but I want to this year.

Have you done this, or could you recommend some types of corn, beans and squash for the project? I live in zone 5...

Also - are there any other "sisterly" combinations like this one that you know of?

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:33:30 AM  Show Profile
I've not done it myself, but I know a couple of people who have done it, one successfully and the other not so much. You need to pick a hardy, tall corn that can support it's own weight plus the weight of the beans. It should be over 6 feet tall at maturity. Plant the corn first, it needs a head start in order to grow enough to provide a trellis for the beans. You might also pick a bean that has a purple or other colored pod because it will be that much easier to see to harvest in all that green. I think you can choose whichever squash you want, though mid-sized pumpkins seem to be the popular choice.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  5:44:01 PM  Show Profile
I've done the three sisters, but here in Western WA the corn has a hard time maturing & the beans overtake them. The squash or pumpkins does great, but watch where you step & you have to place your rows farther apart.

Now we do a raised bed of pole beans with a vertical & horizontal poles, lashed together with twine woven in-between for them to grow on. I like to plant a hill of squash/pumpkin on the south ends of the beans & we plant the corn in it's own rows where the load of 15 yards of compost is dropped (after we move & spread the compost around the raised beds.)

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  7:07:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure most of you know to plant marigolds with your tomatoes and basil with your tomatoes as well to cut down on bugs.
Or at least that's what I have always been told.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  11:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Kathy
You are right & that really works. We add marigolds to most of our beds, along with nastrumns here & there. Besides it all looks so pretty.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  09:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i've also heard that rosemary with tomatoes will keep away the aphids? can anyone confirm this?
thanks!

Alison
'Be the change you want to see in the world' ~ Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  7:33:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm really interested in companion planting this garden year - do any of you have any good books/resources that you'd recommend?

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  8:37:03 PM  Show Profile
I have done it (the three sisters thing) and learned to plant the corn first...a couple weeks ahead and like someone else said...choose a tall sturdy variety. I used bloody butcher corn, kentucky wonder pole beans and pumpkin the time I had the best results. I havn't done that combo since I have lived here in Utah though. But I have planted all three sisters in my garden each year...this year I think I will do it together again.
I usually plant both marigolds and garlic around my tomatoes.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  8:39:05 PM  Show Profile
"Carrots Love Tomatoes" and "Roses Love Garlic" are two pretty good books about companion planting.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile
I have one called "Sleeping with a Sunflower" that I like too..not just companion planting, but it does ******* that. Lots of fun stuff.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  9:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am going to have to see if our local library has any of those books. Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:35:36 AM  Show Profile
I have the "Carrots..." and "Roses..." books on a list to get from interlibrary loan - they should be here the first of next week. I'm so excited! Thanks for the information - and any more info. would really be appreciated...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Three sisters... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page