westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  05:15:43 AM  Show Profile
I started a new job where my husband works. It's a huge medical center but a different division. We work in a CCR, older people buy into a package at a health center that takes then from being normal till ill health & they die in place eventually. He's a senior maintenance mechanic & has been there 10 yrs. makes really good money. I just started in the kitchen doing prep work (which I like) and also WAIT STAFF (waitress) I hate it!! I love the prep work but I am in no way a waitress. It's a talent & I dont have it. It's very hard & after 8 hrs. on Fri. I thought I'd die. I don't want to disapoint my husband & it took months to get in. I have talked to him already & he said Im not disapointing him & need to do what is right for me BUT I still feel terrible. I love the other part of my job but was hired for both! I still have my market research job in the evenings if I want it. AM I just too old for this type of job at 55. These kids are in their 20's and doing it, I feel terrible.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  05:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Michele ~ is there anyone (a supervisor or HR) that you can talk to and see if there is a posistion you could be placed into that is JUST kitchen work? Let them know you really like working for the company but you feel inadiquit(sp) in the waiting dept, and want to do your very best for them. ((hugs)) Tough spot.

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  05:39:56 AM  Show Profile
I agree--serving is HARD work...and I'm terrible at it. I gave it a shot in NYC when I was dancing and lasted a month! I figured I better quit before I got fired. My husband on the other hand, has been doing it his whole life and is just incredible. I admire him, truly.

I agree--I bet if you spoke with a supervisor,and explained to them that, while you realize you were hired for a dual position, you find that without serving experience, you feel that the "customers will suffer", and that you feel that you are much better suited for the prep kitchen. Ask if you can be a "fill in" for servers who are out or something like that...Noone wins (customer, boss, server) if a server isn't happy :). If you make it seem like it's a losing situation for the customers, it may be better than, "I don't like to serve"...

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  6:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for your input, it worked!! I went in this morning & spoke w/ both people in charge thinking it may be my last day. They were great & very supportive. They told me they don't need me to waitress, they have enough kids doing it & have other plans for me in the kitchen, which I really like. Thanks.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  8:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome news! I'm SO happy for you! Congratulations!

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  05:47:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad for you!!!!

Now, you can relax and "enjoy" your job--well, as much as we can enjoy working, and NOT doing the farmgirl stuff we'd rather be doing :)

Congrats!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  11:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Good new Michele!!
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com