Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Anyone know about tranplanting peonies?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone know about tranplanting peonies? Next Topic  

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  6:33:04 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 peonie plants that don't bloom much anymore. I think I need to split them up and transplant them. Can I do this in the spring or is fall better? We still have a good bit of snow on the ground so it will be a while yet before they even start to come up.

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile
I think fall is better, but if they are still dormant (snow? yikes!) I would think you should be able to divide them, provided you can get them out of the ground (is it frozen still?). How much of a risk-taker are you?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  6:41:08 PM  Show Profile
If I move peonies it is always in the fall - remember not to bury them too deep - just barely cover the crowns.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  6:57:17 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the previous posts. I moved some peonies a few years back as they weren't getting enough shade where they were. My mother suggested a wait until the fall and we also didn't plant them deep.

I hope the transplanting goes well! Karin
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  7:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I "found" a peony in our old house's yard one spring, and it was in a spot that I couldn't leave it. I took it up and put it in a pot (because I didn't know where I was going to put it for sure...) It bloomed that year, and did OK.

See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
OR check out my gardening activities at http://oceanfarmgirlsgarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  07:48:48 AM  Show Profile
I agree fall is the ideal time to move a peony. Make sure you don't plant them too deep. The eyes need to be level with the ground to loom the following year.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile
I would recommend early,early Spring or Fall when the plant is dormant. My grandmother's peonies have been transplanted from her home in Columbus twice....to finally rest on the farm. This is the second season for them to bloom, and the leaves look even more vigorous (sp) this year!

Here in the South, the syllable pronunciation is: pe O nee
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone know about tranplanting peonies? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page