balmiesgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Carole
AZ
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  4:57:30 PM  Show Profile
I have a snubian 1 month from kidding....she got out and ate alot of grain...that was two days ago....that evening she acted normal but I did see her eating some of the minerals and the bakingsoda that I keep in her pen for her. The next morning when I went out to feed her she didn't greet me at the trough like she usually does. She was in her shed. I got her out after a bit of prodding. She had terribly rummy pooh. I noticed she ate more baking soda when she was getting a drink........but she didn't eat at all. She was listless and just stayed in her shed lying down most of the day. I gave her some nutridrench at about noon. Her status did not change....still runs...still listess......
In the late evening I got some bloat "stuff" and drenched her w/ that.
This morning she still doesnt seem well...still had the runs...and still doesnt want to get up.....the only sure way to get her up is giving a dose of nutri-drench...SHE HATES IT and will get up if I try to give it to her.....
Worried about dehydration...I gave her 2 quarts of electrolytes between about 8 am & noon....still no change...I can hear her grinding her teeth.....she doesnt seem to be having diarreah so bad...at least not everytime she stands up like before....she's still not eating....very little drinking.....grinding her teeth...i can get her to stand..but she doesnt want to walk around at all.....HELP! HELP! HELP! I've been on the phone w/ all of the vets around here and nobody treats goats.

Live for today, but plan for tomorrow.

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:30:32 PM  Show Profile
I don't own goats but this is what I've found on the internet. The site has other information about goat health as well. Here's the link: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/bloat.htm

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

2 Red Barns
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jamie
Bay City Michigan
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  6:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness...can goats colic? Like a horse can colic? It sounds so similar. It's so hard isn't it? When our horse had colic we had to get her to walk around, the vet gave her mineral oil to move everything through...even though she too had very runny manure. I'm hoping all will be well for your little goat. Sorry I couldn't offer more advice. Jamie
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  04:08:02 AM  Show Profile
She's grinding her teeth because she's in pain. I'd get Gas X right now and get it into her, and call the vet. If she has bloat she could very easily die, especially after all this time. Once you get her past the bloat (if that's what this is) you need to be sure to get her rumen going again. Call the vet.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  1:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Carole,
I hope that your little goat is doing better.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  3:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Me too. Checking in to see how she's doing.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

2 Red Barns
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jamie
Bay City Michigan
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  2:45:46 PM  Show Profile