Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Update on red dresser I asked for your help on
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Update on red dresser I asked for your help on Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  3:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Well, ladies, dh picked up the dresser from the antique store and when he got home with it warned me that I had a less-than-pleasant surprise. To make a long story short, the lady had basically slapped a thick coat of red paint on top of the brown *paint* (yep, paint) that was already on the dresser. How did we learn this? Well, either when the shop owner's dh moved the dresser downstairs in the shop so dh could get to it or when dh moved it, it got several scratches. When dh went to check how bad they were by running his finger over them, he discovered that the paint was all puckered up, as if it was stretchy, which it was!

Guess what? The paint is some sort of enamel, and it was thick and stretchy, so I decided to strip it all off, including the layer of brown underneath. I'm finding that the wood oak, but it's really dark, from age I thing. As soon as I get all the paint off I'm going to decide what to do.

I'm sort of aggravated at the shop owner for doing such a shoddy job, but it was right there for me to see, so I also blame myself. I've learned alot with this piece of furniture -- only the 2nd big piece I've bought used -- and I know a little more of what to check.

The good side is that since the paint is so stretchy, it comes of fairly easily and in some cases, in long strips. It's just a shame that it wasn't done right to begin with, and I'm looking forward to refinishing it and seeing how it turns out.

If I do paint it, I'll probably go with a pale seafoam green or white. If I go with white, I'll paint the bathroom walls (this is going to be the vanity in the main bath) a richer color to set it off.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  3:51:44 PM  Show Profile
How frustrating for you. I'm sure that you will do a better job refinishing yoru dresser than the dealer. Just think- it will be just the way you want it when you're finished!!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4243 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4243 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile
The surprise in finding out what you truely have!!! Already having great plans for the dresser is exciting for sure. Good luck Michele
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  5:23:20 PM  Show Profile
I did that once with my son's dresser. It did actually dry very very hard. Which I think it's actually supposed to be a bit stretchy until it dries. We only had a few spots that it puckered and peeled. After several moves it still has that coat of paint on it. Now it's in my closet though. : )

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  8:12:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure this was dry -- she told me she painted it over a year ago. I think she must have done something wrong, like not prepped the surface first or something like that.

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  9:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Patti,
am so sorry but am also excited to see what you do with it!! I am sure it will be wonderful and cant wait to see it when your done!! Dont forget to let us peek in at your bathroom when its done too!!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  10:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Oak+White are nice!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  11:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like you are going to make it beautiful again. I must admit I am sad to hear you are getting rid of the Red though- you seemed so excited about the color! I bet your new plans are going to be gorgeous though!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  06:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the red was what caught me, along with the round mirror that's unusual (to me at least -- the way the wood is done). I've been thinking about how the red really made me smile, and I'm hoping to do something in the bathroom that's kind of quirky and "fun", but still classy looking.

I'm going to go take a picture of the mirror now and see if I can figure out how to post it here.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  07:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Well, on the bright side, now you don't have to change your plans for the color scheme to focus on that red shade.
I'm envious of your bathroom if it's big enought to put a dresser in! I really like the trend that's started in the past few years, putting actual furniture in the bathroom instead of a built in cabinet. I'm sure it will look great no matter what color it is.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  07:51:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure it'll be lovely once you've finished with it!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  10:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Patti - maybe the dealer did something like painting latex over enamel(if the original paint was old, it probably had an oil base and most new paint is water based).

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  04:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Patti- You can lighten oak that has become too dark. There is a product you can use or we have also used a sort of bleach mixture with no ill effects (you just have to do a good wash after). I like a rich warm golden color but always find dark to black varnished oak that needs refinishing. Good luck with your dresser, sounds like the real treasure was hidden!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  5:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Janice, what you describe is just what this looks like! DH said he thought the brown underneath was an enamel, and the shop owner gave us the name of the paint, in case we wanted to paint something to match, and it's a latex paint. Hmmm . . .

Bramble, thanks for the info about lightening the wood. I'm really torn between painting it white and lightening the darkness and then putting a clear finish on it. I guess I'll just keep stripping it, then clean it up and see what it looks like.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Update on red dresser I asked for your help on Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page