Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  2:07:30 PM  Show Profile
got myself alot of free plants today..a gal in the local homeschool support group that we are members of wanted to get rid of alot of plants in her "jungle"..and it literally was a "jungle" .

..the property had been owned by an oriental couple before this gal moved there..and after she moved in..there had been nothing done in the yard for 6 yrs..other than mowing the grass that remained...

needless to say...lots of stuff had gone haywire in her yard.

But... I salvaged a beautiful azalea, what looks to be a Japanese magnolia,
lots of gladiolas(I have no idea what colors)
lots of amaryllis(again no idea what color)
some real nice ferns(not boston/more airy type and taller/appears to be what is called "purple royal fern")
a wisteria vine
and spider lillies(I believe anyhow)

nothing was in bloom except for the azalea so I do not know what colors anything will be.

Will be fun to see what happens with all of them.

just wanted to share my excitement.

hugs, Tina

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  2:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations on your good luck, Tina! Hooray for you!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  4:21:42 PM  Show Profile
How awesome....you are so luck.

To often we forget to have Plant Swaps.... what better way to experience and experiment in our gardens with out spending a ton of money.... trade seeds/cutting & transplants.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bloom where you are planted...
tata-4-now

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  5:13:26 PM  Show Profile
that is true katmom....but this gal..well..she didn't want anything growing at all in the yard except for grass..she wants to use roundup on everything that's left..(me thinks that not everyone is blessed with a "farmgirl heart")

She of course did not want plants in trade..she wanted them all gone, everything that could be gotten out of the yard..she wants out..she intends to tractor over what ever else she can and to use chemicals to destroy the rest.

Beautiful ferns, aloes, gladiolas, amaryllis, wisteria, lots of things. Tons of ferns though that have really gotten out of hand.
She informed me that she had done nothing to the place in 6 yrs..it really looked it too.

Some folks just don't appreciate the growing and cultivating of plants/flowers...or just think I guess that they don't have the time.

Me, I'm a plant nut. Always have been, always will be.
I find alot of joy in watching things grow, coaxing a new seedling along, and just digging in the dirt.

So, today I was just delighted to get some new plants.My "farmgirl heart" smiled with delight.:0)

Oh, and I took my baby ducks out into the yard to play too and to swim in the wagon.
So fun!

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  9:21:05 PM  Show Profile
hubby built another frame for a raised garden bed for me today..another 4 ft by 8 ft framing.
I'll fill it with soil tomorrow and get to planting all the bulbs I gathered the other day. Fun! Fun!
Oh, and I caught him looking at greenhouse building plans..oooh! :0)
(just love that man of mine!)

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic woohoo! plants Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page