Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 First Chapter Meeting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic First Chapter Meeting Next Topic  

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  11:23:27 PM  Show Profile
We had our first Farmgirl Chapter meeting on Monday night. It was so much fun!! So far we have 5 members but more are interested. I gave out the Charter Member certificates, calendars, and Farmgirl bumper stickers. So there are at 5 cars in North Clark County, WA with bumper stickers! We made our harvest aprons, linen water, ate lots of good food, and had many laughs.

For our service project we're going to make blankets to give to children who have been removed from Meth homes and placed in foster care. The meth problem is rampant in our state and there are so many children being removed from homes that the system can hardly keep up. We thought that blankets might make the transition easier for the kids.

We're going to be starting our Chapter journal soon and are looking forward to "passing it around" to get entries from other Chapters.

Kay

Proud Member of Farmgirls of North Clark County

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  12:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Kay, sounds like a great time! I am envious. The blankets are a great project. Meth homes are rampant here(Spokane) too.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlruns
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Dana
Mount Vernon WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  08:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Kay, I am excited for you and your first farmgirl chapter meeting. It sounds like so much fun. How did you decide who to invite? Who planned your projects?They all sounded like so much fun. I love your service idea. Meth has touched so many lives and the problem is only getting worse. I have just been approached myself about taking in a toddler of a family member who's mother gave him up due to meth addiction. I am afraid that I couldn't take him, but have felt saddness and guilt by saying no. I work in the school system and there are far too many children being affected by this terrible drug and others like it. Something has to be done. In the meantime your blanket idea will make a difference to a child torn from a home. Thanks. I look forward to hearing how your next meeting goes.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  10:37:18 AM  Show Profile
My youngest son (adopted) has the effects of a birth mom on meth and it is getting so common!!! The blankets are a great idea.
Your first chapter meeting sounds like it went so well!! I am going to have one in July here and make harvest aprons. I think I want to modify the pattern to have a bib front though...what do you gals think? I am a bib front apron sort of a gal.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  3:17:00 PM  Show Profile
I am with you Jenny. I get more on the top of the apron than on the bottom while wearing one. When cooking need a complete coverup!!! Cannot figure out how all that stuff ends up all over me but I guess I just really get into what I am doing!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  6:25:32 PM  Show Profile
Jenny and Eileen -- I need a bib too. I'm well endowed in certain areas and it seems like everything ends up there. I even wear my bib apron when I eat because that always seems to be the time I drop something on my "shelf".

We did have a wonderful time at our first meeting. Next Thursday night we're getting together at a member's home to have dinner and a movie -- Farmgirls only!!

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  9:35:41 PM  Show Profile
I am planning a "hen party" even found cute invites with a big black hen with spots on them. I will have it after the middle of July (waiting for baseball season to end) when my mom and sister come out to visit from CAlif. I plan to have everyone bring their handwork and serve a dessert and lemonade and talk about regular meetings and what we want to do next.
I am pretty sure that being big on top is why I need to wear bib aprons too..haha.
How fun to have a dinner and movie night..may I suggest "Country"..it is my favorite movie of all time. (an 80's "Mom saves the farm movie") Have fun! What is for dinner???

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  9:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, Your party sounds like so much fun! About the bib style apron, I have big b##bs and I find myself spilling on that pronounced area also. I always thought the bib style made the b**bs look bigger, sometimes I just put a dishtowel in my collar like a big bib and then I look like one of the Clampetts on Beverly Hillbillies. Guess I will opt for making a bib apron too, I am tired of wearing a towel when I eat.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  11:35:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh the bib probably does make me look bigger but at least my shirt is clean underneath!!

Jenny -- we are going to watch the Bridges of Madison County. And we're having chicken and veggie kabobs on the grill with everyone bringing a side dish. It's my oldest daughter's 35th birthday so it is going to be a little surprise bash for her too.

Oh your Hen Party sounds so fun! Give me good ideas for future get togethers.

Kay

North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  05:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, The Bridges of Madison County! Perfect for a Farmgirl party. What fun! I will be there! Just kidding of course.

I need a full bib apron, too, but not because of being well-endowed. Far from it.....but I get more splashed on the top than from the waist down. However, I always need something to wipe my hands on, and for that I love terry cloth aprons best. I always hesitate to wipe my hands on a cotton apron, because I do not want to spoil it! I end up draping a dish towel over my shoulder so I can wipe my hands all the time, especially while canning or baking. I need to make myself a terry bib apron! I could start with a bath towel, I guess!

Have fun at your farmgirl party!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 01 2005 11:19:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  10:56:51 AM  Show Profile
perfect choice for a movie Kay...I love that one too! and the food sounds great!!!
JP..My grandma used to have a bib front apron that was made from a regular half apron with a dishtowell (terry type) folded in half and sewn as a bib at the top. REAlly cute! 'course you probably meant the terry for the bottom part..but I just thought of that one.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  11:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Jenny -- I was a big apron for my dish soap bottle -- how cute!!

JP -- you could make a regular bib apron but sew a terry cloth dish towel into the waistband to hang loose over the bottom part of the apron. Then you'd have the dish towel handy for your hands. I always run around the kitchen with a towel over my shoulder. My oldest daughter says (jokingly of course) that when I die I have to be buried with a towel over my shoulder -- that I wouldn't look natural without it!

North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  11:32:25 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas for terry cloth! I am going to try the folded towel for the top bib part! And I have a 70's vintage apron that has a towel that buttons on one side, but no bib. It is a brown, avacado and orange plaid - what a flashback. The towel is brown.

Kay, you know the old saying "bury me with my boots on", well we can be buried with our towels over our shoulder. I hope in Heaven, I can make good use of it. I will be a Martha, not a Mary!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

KathyLou
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Polson Montana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  11:16:46 PM  Show Profile
My friend and I went to MJ Farm Girl sleepover on July 3. It was too much fun and met wonderful people including MJ, CindyLou and Julie. We are going to start a chapter in Polson, Montana and I think making an apron should be our first order of business/fun. I love all those vintage aprons that tie around your waist BUT I like another type even better. It is one that is full length (the top you gals have been writing about) and it has no tie which for full figure farm girls, is much more comfy. I made one from a Daisy Kingdom pattern. It was very time consuming but doesn't have to be. I laboriously made all my own trim/edging (whatever the word is that I can't find right now) but I would highly suggest just buying it in a coordinating color. But you just literally slip the apron over your neck and put your arms through the sides and total comfort. Also you have two pockets. I think it should be against the law to have aprons without pockets. My husband is on a business trip and while he has been gone, I have been putting together my outdoor kitchen. It has been great fun. MJ has really given me the desire to spend much more good weather time, outdoors. I love all the ideas to share about Chapter plans. We can really help each other which is so "Farm Girl" of us. Cheers!

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  12:06:24 PM  Show Profile
I live in West Plains, Mo. any chapters close enough for me join in on the fun??

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

DeeHarp
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Dee
Missouri
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  03:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Hello All!
I live in Missouri...South of Kansas City. I am starting a Chapter here. I am anxiously waiting my Kit! I have just this week found MaryJane's site and am enjoying reading all about other Farmgirls around!
Dee :-)
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  4:21:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey you girls are giving me great ideas for my first henhouse chapter meeting. Lots of vegies are ripe, fruit and other goodies. We'll let you know when our Farmgirls Forever chapter in Minnesota meets and hope to give you ideas.
Thanks

Bonnie Ellis Farmgirl #298

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Chris
Maumee OH
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  3:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message
Toledo, Ohio Simple Life Urban FarmGals had their first meeting between 3 people that connected thru MaryJane. Thank you, MaryJane Website, so much for being able to meet two other fabulous people I wouldn't of probably met. We are working on backyard urban chickens, quilting, knitting and working on a journal. We have a faceboook website, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maumee-OH/Simple-Life-Urban-Farmgals/185425853412?v=app_2309869772#/pages/Maumee-OH/Simple-Life-Urban-Farmgals/185425853412?ref=ts We are open to anyone joining us in the NW Ohio or NE Mich area to meet with us. Our next meeting Tues Dec 15 at an Indian Resturant on Reynolds Rd. in Toledo, Ohio. Please check facebook for additional detail. (Simple Life Urban Farmgals) Is there a facebook for Farmgirls in general? Chris Haines

Simple Life Urban Farm gals, Toledo, Ohio group
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic First Chapter Meeting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page