Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Word of the Day Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  2:38:03 PM  Show Profile
I happened across this neat link to improve vocabulary! It is a subscriber service offered by Merriam Webster. It is FREE. They send you an email "word of the day", complete with definition,etymology, and a sentence that illustrates proper usage. I am always trying to add to my vocab, and improve sentence struture...It is an ongoing learning I enjoy, and really thought this was a great way to expand that. Click on the link then click the Word of the Day heading. www.merriam-webster.com

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  9:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - good topic and thank you for providing this link! On this topic thread, we should have an MJF word for the day!

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 21 2005 9:38:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  1:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ya'll I just love the idea of having a MJF word of the day-of course, it would have to be related to farming. I have so much to learn; my farming vocabulary and knowledge is probably at a 3 year old level.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Ooops "And my grammar ain't too great either" let's try again...

My farming vocabulary and knowledge ARE.....

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  2:27:02 PM  Show Profile
JP and Connie the librarian, Great idea! My first word of the day from MW is gratuitous...But MJF farming words would be more appropriate. Lets see...Does anyone know what a Clod Crusher and Leveler is? Answer: Insert a narrow plank in front of the rear teeth of an A harrow, and the land will be harrowes, the lumps crushed, and the surface leveled at one operation. It will grade the land very nicely.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Word of the Day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page