Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Summer Americana Giveaway! WINNER!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Summer Americana Giveaway! WINNER!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Happy June Farmgirls!! I am offering a summer giveaway with a red/white/blue theme. I will also include a small jar of my Mom's Bread and Butter pickles along with the other things if you actually like that sort of thing.

This time of year, there are holidays, backyard gatherings, July 4th celebrations, and just back porch living. This giveaway comes to you in that spirit.

If you want to toss your name in the basket, please leave me a post here and tell me what your favorite ways are to celebrate a summer get together outside. What do you like to eat? Is there a recipe you always like to make?

Please join in the fun and I will select a winner on Friday June 11th!!

Our Winner today is Daizy!! Congratulations and I sent you an email for your mailing information. I hope you enjoy!!

Below is an old poster from the WWI Days about using Daylight Savings time. The old graphics always had a dapper Uncle Sam too!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jun 11 2021 08:10:37 AM

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2691 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2691 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  4:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, so lovely and generous of you! Summer is my favorite, the long, warm lazy dog days of summer, ahhh... and, specifically Fourth of July to celebrate our freedoms and count our blessings. My grandmothers macaroni salad is always a favorite and a summer staple. Always makes me smile and warms my heart to make it and place it on the table. Eating out doors, BBQing, napping in the hammock, walking barefoot through the garden and yard, feeling the earth upon my feet. The summer breeze and the most magnificent central oregon sunsets. My heart is happy this time of year.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  5:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Summer is special to me because my birthday is in July. We would visit my grandparents in North Dakota. One set lived on a farm. We'd "help" grandma in the garden and walk with our grandpa to the barn (avoiding the cowpies). My Czech Grandma Listopad made delicious kolaches. Our other grandparents lived in town. My grandpa was a doctor at the State School until he retired. We would love to play with my mom's and aunt's paper dolls. Grandma Vitums taught us needlework and crochet.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  9:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I remember as a kid growing up on Army Bases, both Germany and in the US... we were one big family,, there would be platoon baseball games played by the young enlisted men,, while families gathered and picnicked.. the dads watched the games while all the moms set up the foods and yelled at the kids... and we kids ran around and played games like marbles,, chased June Bugs & Lightening Bugs (back in Kansas) and it was especially fun for me, because I got to sample all my various friend's moms pot luck foods,, American, German, Puerto Rico, etc.. Yum...
And potato chips!! In our house, we never had potato chips until I became a teenager.. so I would stuff myself silly with potato chips!
Oh my gosh what fun carefree memories..
How can you not love everything about Summer... well except sunburns and Skeeters! lol!

And now I am no longer able to crawl on the ground and play marbles.. but boy-o-boy,, I still LUV potato chips,, in fact, this evening my dear DH and I sat out on the patio, with a ice cold beer and a tub of BBQ potato chips!
then we had to go gather up our neighbor's horse who got loose,, and walk him back to their ranch.. two oldies walking a Dapple Grey down a gravel road,, That's summer in the country...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jun 03 2021 9:31:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  04:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, what fun! How generous of you.
We look forward to picnicking all summer long. What's a burger without bread and butter pickles? Yum. I haven't made them in years. Store bought is just not the same.
I always make potato salad and "Celebration" cake. For 4th of July I decorate it with fresh strawberries and blueberries for a festive look. I grew up having our suppers outdoors in summer whenever the weather allowed. When I was younger, early teen, we spent most of our summers at my grandparents house at the lake. It was days full of,swimming, boating, fishing and sunburn. I loved summers and still enjoy every season.
Thanks for the opportunity here to be in your giveaway!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 04 2021 04:27:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  04:58:04 AM  Show Profile
These sweet memories are just the best! I remember Summer as a time we also played a lot of Crochet and Badminton too.
Grace, potato chips and sodas were only treats at our house so when they appeared, we all were excited! I remember eating in our backyard all the time when we had any occasion for a family gathering during warm months. Without AC, outside under the shade of this big Oak tree was the place to be. Also watermelon was a family favorite and it appeared a lot when we had a picnic style celebration.

Vanessa, July is my birthday month too. I remember having little birthday parties outdoors with some friends outside too. It was always cooler out there.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  08:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Winnie please put my name in your drawing. We love to BBQ on 4th of July and of course Watermelon yummy. This year we will go to the beach a new tradition for the Fischer Family as we make new memories on our journey. I love the old red, white and blue, Americana and all summer I honor our flag and all it represents. As well as our men and women who fight, fought and have died for our flag, country and our freedom.
God Bless America and thank you Winnie for your generosity.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018

“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2245 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  1:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Our July 4ths started with banana splits for breakfast-- a tradition started some 50 years or so ago when my kids were little and their father worked shift work and was seldom home at night. Dinner is bbq glorified hot dogs; stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. The past ten years we go to my sons for the Fourth and we now have the banana splits after dinner. Not as fun but just as tasty.
I didn't grow up with potato chips either, or sodas. We did get to have Bireley's on Thanksgiving. In 1952, while driving through Death Valley in July (no a/c in cars back then), my father stopped at the store in Furnace Creek and bought my sister and I 7-Ups. I thought it was our last meal and we were going to die in the desert.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7488 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7488 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  1:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Winnie,

what a fun idea for a summer giveaway. One thing that has to be served at a summer picnic is watermelon. And then, of course, hotdogs, hamburgers, and corn on the cob on the grill. And with family gatherings it's always nice to have a friendly, but competitive, game of corn hole going and maybe croquet. I used to love smashing my brother's ball a long way from the hoop. Lol!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3078 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3078 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  1:48:45 PM  Show Profile
What fun summers everyone has. I can't say I've ever been lucky enough to have banana splits for breakfast!!! What a treat Judith!

One of my favorite summer treats is watermelon. I remember as a kid having a competition with my siblings to see who could spit the seeds the farthest (outside of course LOL!) One of my favorite summer festivities is watching fireworks. And I love to see the lightning bugs. I no longer put them in a jar but I still catch a few :)

My mother in law makes a delicious broccoli salad (the shredded kind) that we have at almost all our summer cookouts. I'll have to see if I can get the recipe from her to share. It's delicious!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  4:51:44 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

How sweet of you to offer this Give-Away. What a nice idea. I really love the hot days of summer. I was born on August 5th so they are like my own special comfort. In Alabama we have all seasons but summer is my favorite. I enjoy fresh watermelons and chilidogs from a campfire....or microwave. I like to get away from the ranch every once in awhile to go meet up with my camping friends. I enjoy the garden and all its bounty along with the memories of porch sitting and snapping beans or shucking corn. My Pop had beehives and I use to rob them with him and lick my fingers. My Mom would can everything. and then she would fill the freezers (3) up to the tops. So, I was always barefoot in the gardens picking whatever was ripe. When you mentioned your bread and butter pickles my mouth began to water just from the memory. Please include me in your give-away. Hugs. and thanks for the sparks of memories. Daizy

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  12:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget the s'mores. I remember having those when ever we would go campibg which is something we always did at least one week out of the summer. My dad liked to fish and we ate what he caught. Such wonderful summer memories.
Watermelon! How could I forget that. It is a staple at our house as long as they are available.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6938 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6938 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  2:26:15 PM  Show Profile
My favorite summer get together is the Warren 4th of July party. Warren is where my husband grew up and it’s a small town get together they do every year. They always start out serving pancakes for breakfast then we all say the pledge of allegiance and do a kid parade. All kids will either ride a bike, horse, 4 wheeler, etc down the road while the parents all stay on the sides and watch them. Then they have children games and adult cornhole competitions. Then we will eat lunch which is always some sort of BBQ. After all that their fire truck comes and sprays all the kids with water! It’s been one of the funniest things I have ever done and I’m so happy my kids get to experience it. My favorite food would be the creamies they always give out with lunch! It wouldn’t be the same without it!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1794 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1794 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  4:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Love hometown fireworks and picnics and family fun on the 4th.would love potato salad recipe please.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2245 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  9:28:37 PM  Show Profile
Marlene -- Potato salad is easy and as variable as the ingredients you want to put in it or have in the kitchen. Cut one large potato per person plus a couple. You can peel or not as desired. Boil until done but still firm; the corners may be a little bit rounded. Drain and cool. Add mayonnaise, some yellow mustard, and pickle relish. That's the basic potato salad. Many other things may be added to taste: chopped celery, tomatoes, olives, baby corn, water chestnuts, cucumber, etc.
Chill and let the flavors blend for a couple of hours.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5082 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5082 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2021 :  1:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Loved all the memories!
As a kid,my moms family always loaded up the BB Grill and food and we went to the park and ate,and played Baseball.My Step-dad was the King of Fireworks! Our whole neighborhood would sit on their porches and watch him and my brother shoot off fireworks. No girls allowed to light them but Oh how I wanted to. I got my chance when I was a grown woman!I remember they had to drive quite a ways to buy them every year.
There are many Fireworks shows to choose from in the surrounding towns. The best one is on the Millington Navy Base each year by a lake.
It's only 10 miles from us.
Connie #3392
Imagine....

Edited by - Killarney on Jun 10 2021 1:09:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2691 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2691 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  09:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Daizy!! YAY!!!!!!

Thank you, Winnie, for a fun giveaway!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2245 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  10:59:40 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Daizy -- Enjoy!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6938 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6938 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  1:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Daisy! Enjoy your surprise!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5082 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5082 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  3:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Yay Daisy!!!
Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2021 :  05:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Daisy contacted me with her mailing address and her package went out yesterday. I hope she has fun with it all!

My thanks to all of you who participated and left such wonderful summer memories of outdoor gatherings! hope everyone enjoyed reading all the comments as much as I did. There really are some frequent tried and true foods and activities that seem to take place no matter your age or your location. One memory I had was using sparklers and more quiet and simpler fireworks with my girls at home. My youngest was terrified of the real big fireworks that the city did every July 4th. I think the noise was overwhelming to her and she would scream and cry to go home. So, our local grocery store had sparklers and I began buying them for July 4th and let the girls light them and run around the yard and have fun. That seemed to work great. Then we graduated up to another package , in the grocery store, that had larger sparklers that were more complex and pretty but did not have that big booming noise. They worked great and the girls really loved the upgrade. So every July 4 and New Year’s Ever, we did those fireworks right out in the yard on the sidewalk .

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2021 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Daisy. Have fun.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018

“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2021 :  10:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Daizy,,,
And hugz to you Winnie for reminding us about happy memories...
>^..^<

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7488 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7488 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2021 :  05:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats, Daisy.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2021 :  6:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Hay there!! Thanks everyone and a special thank you to you, Mz Winnie. You put together a spectacular AMERICANA SUMMER GIVEAWAY! Ya'll this box has a handmade kitchen towel with the American flag on it with rickrack and buttons. It's to pretty to use as a kitchen towel, tho. There is a small table cloth with a quilt style top in red white and blue. It has fringe and big buttons in all

A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2021 :  6:35:07 PM  Show Profile
darn it...I wasn't finished. So....the corners have fringe and she added big buttons as weights for a porch table. She even added napkins and a pot holder! Oh and she wrapped the above in the cutest napkins that say "Star Spangled Summer" with the recipe for peach salsa. There is an American flag and then to top it all off there is salt water taffy! Really!?! Really?!?!?! AND I almost forgot....there is a teeny tiny mug with a candle in it. The mug says "Find joy in each day"! And it wouldn't be complete without a roll of streamer paper with flags printed on it. Winnie! It's just so over the top! Thank you so much! I have photos so now I HAVE to learn how to upload them to this thread. Amazing!! And thank you again. Hugs

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Summer Americana Giveaway! WINNER!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page