True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  6:34:12 PM  Show Profile
I did it!!yep... I certainly did.

Since my goose eggs didn't hatch out on my little project..I told you all that I'd like to be able to find some baby ducklings..Peking ducklings to be precise.

Well..while the hubby and I were out driving around today I asked him if he'd take me by the Feed and Seed store to see if they had any baby ducklings..and sure enough they did.

So..I am now the proud owner of 2 baby ducklings..they are absolutely adorable and are fluffy and yellow...and they are Pekings!

I will be taking phoros of them tomorrow to share with you all.
They will be my little suburban "yard ornaments/pet ducks" and we have tentatively given them names..if they are a male and female the names shall be Daffy and Daisy..pretty typical I guess, but ahh well.

They are absolutely fun to watch and I was amazed..at just 1 and 1/2 weeks old they certainly can pack away the food.

Anyhow..I was so excited and so very happy to get all of their equipment... and them... at the feed store today that I did start crying tears of joy..I had no idea how much I had wanted something truly "farm girlish" so badly.

I am on cloud nine!I love my new "babies"

Photos to follow!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhh Tina!!!! I'm sooo happy for you! You'll enjoy them, they are lots of fun to watch!
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  7:12:50 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait. Ducklings---I need pictures now!!. I used to have ducks and I loved them. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  7:46:15 PM  Show Profile
tomorrow, tomorrow..I'll share the pics tomorrow. it's only a dayyyy...away...:0P
LOL

I wanted them to kind of have a chance to settle down today, my kids all wanted to hold them and watch them and I figured that it was best not to hold them too very much..let them get acclimated first.
They are still real tiny, but voracious eaters.
At first they chirped/or baby quacked whatever you want to call it..alot! but they have settled down now for the night and make real quiet little peeps at each other.

it will be so fun to watch them grow up.

I'll be taking them out for a wee bit of supervised yard time tomorrow..and every day actually ...until they are big enough to live outside...and they'll get a wee bit of swim time too..yep..in the bathtub(watched very carefully)..ha... until I can get them a water area that is easily cleanable once I move them outdoors.

Joy! joy!
I actually had tears of joy today..couldn't believe how excited I got and how much having something truly farm like(even though I live "in the city") really meant to me.

I have been having so much fun getting back to my "roots" the last couple of weeks around here...
putting in an 8 ft by 4 ft strawberry bed, gearing up to put in another 8 ft by 4 ft flower bed that will be devoted to flower bulbs of all kinds and covered with a light layer of wildflower mix so that I'll have something blooming and to put in vases year round.
Looking forward to putting in an 8 ft by 4 ft herb garden soon as well.
And hubby wants to get me a greenhouse or to build one for me.

Just planted 9 raspberry canes and 3 thornless blackberry canes.

Have some romaine lettuce in pots on my back deck and a cherry tomato plant going too.
So..hey..I'm really living and digging this farmgirl way..I've always had it in me..always have had to grow something and always have had to "play in the dirt"..and now I have a couple of cute "farm pals" that will be following me around in my "city yard" as I go about my days.

Thankfully ducks are quiet, and I know they'll be real sweet little companions to have around.

They better not eat up my flowers though or we'll have some serious talks! ha.

Anyhow..I'll share photos tomorrow!

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  8:03:40 PM  Show Profile
OK we'll wait for tommorrow. Aren't those little peeps so cute? Marybeth

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  8:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Tina! I am SO happy for you - it all just sounds wonderful, you FARMGIRL!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  9:02:13 PM  Show Profile
umm, mom, they got loud again this evening....you could hear them all across the house! They sound like little squeaky toys. and are oooooh soooo adorable...I knew they'd be cute, but come on! they are beyond cute!
I sure hope they let me go to sleep though later....haha

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  9:21:03 PM  Show Profile
LOL Naomi..we have fun around here don't we? LOL

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  9:34:54 PM  Show Profile
haha, yeah, we have fun...lots of it....we are one wild and "fun"ky family
I heard your babies a few minutes ago "peep peep" actually it was more like "squeak squeak" lol

note:we are doing it again! communicationg via a forum, when we are a room apart, so close that if you were typing, I could hear you! like I culd hear you tell dad about my previous post...lol

cute ducks mom...remember they are yours, no making your kids take care of em;)...though lil bro sure wouldnt mind.....lol

oh yeah, what do you think of that lovely skirt I designed and made today?:D

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - Naomi Michelle on Mar 24 2007 9:39:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  9:53:36 PM  Show Profile
How fun...I just love ducks..I want to get some soon. I had some before we moved here and since we got here..nearly 5 years ago...I havn't got more. Pekings are sweeter than geese anyhow!!! Lucky you!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  08:00:29 AM  Show Profile
Tina, im so happy for you, can't wait to se them.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  10:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Tina! We had Pekings when I was a girl! We loved those ducks. My brothers and I had the dubious honor of collecting the duck eggs though. We sooooo wanted baby ducklings. But alas, it was not to be. My mom used them to make THE best cakes ever,so not a total waste I guess. I wish I didn't have three dogs- I'd get a few ducklings and some chickens in a heartbeat. I will just have to live vicariously through you!! Can't wait to see pics. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  9:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Tina I am so thrilled for you!! *doing a happy dance* I loved your post about how you are getting all your farmgirl things going and I felt such joy for you and with you! Can't wait to hear more! And for those of us who long for the same things and dont have them yet...trust me, I understand the tears of joy!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  07:41:33 AM  Show Profile
I could be wrong, but I think 'tomorrow' has come and gone. Unless you meant today's tomorrow. But judging by the date of the original post, your tomorrow was my yesterday, and there are no baby duck photos

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  07:45:21 AM  Show Profile
Tracey, they were posted yesterday. and my "tomorrow" was your yesterday too ..and my yesterday now..the day did come and go and I did post them as I had said thatI would...you must have overlooked them.
look under "My baby ducklings" in the Barnyard Buddies section.:0)

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  6:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Tina,
Having so much fun - you lucky duck!!
They are adorable - I better not let my girls see them.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  08:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love baby ducks. I had some when I was a kid. Just to let you know, if they still peep all night long it you put a ticking clock in with them somethimes they will quite down to listen to it. It is soooo cute to watch them.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile
they usually only peep loud now if they don't hear me at some point during the day..otherwise now..they are real quiet.
they settled down well after the first day.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I did it! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page