High Strung
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Michelle
Brownsburg IN
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  07:58:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping that the farmgirls out there can help. We've purchased homemade "jungle pickles" for the last couple of years from a older gentleman. We've tried to get the recipe but he recently passed away. The pickles are very crunchy (maybe more of a half-sour) kinda hot/sweet with garlic, red pepper and most likely soy sauce. After that, I'm not sure. The pickles are refrigerated, not canned. Anybody got any ideas. I'm hording my last jar and would like to make some this summer.

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  08:47:07 AM  Show Profile
hmmmm...the recipe I have is for 12 day pickles that are bread and butter flavored. Surely someone will have something for you.

But until you find it you can reuse the pickle juice from your last jar. Just pop the cukes in the pickle juice and let them set for a couple of days....pickles! My grandmother told me this last summer and we have done it ever since.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

High Strung
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Michelle
Brownsburg IN
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  7:24:44 PM  Show Profile
I would love your bread & butter recipe if you don't mind. I have never heard of 12 day pickles. I've thought about starting with a bread & butter type recipe and adding the soy, garlic and red pepper to see how close I come. The pickles are pretty sweet but with a good kick. I will definately save the juice and add some fresh cukes to the jar. Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  8:22:59 PM  Show Profile
I found this online..maybe this is close to it??

CRISP, SWEET & HOT PICKLES

Drain juice from 1 gallon sour pickles. Slice pickles about 1/4 inch thick. Add: 1 box pickling spices 1 c. tarragon vinegar 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine 5 or 6 little red hot peppers or jalapenos to taste
Put all of this in 2 gallon crock or in 2 big jars. Stir every day for a week to 10 days. Then put in sterilized jars with tops. Leave spices on pickles.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  8:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle,
These might be close to what you are thinking of...this is my gram's recipe.

Scalded Hot Sweet Pickles
(These are both spicy hot & sweet and were always a favorite with everyone in our family! Don't skip the scalding/salting process-it's what makes these pickles crisp-like sauerkraut!)

Slice small pickles. Scald in enough water to cover. Cool overnight in salt water to cover (1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon water). Rinse in cool clean water.

Boil:
2 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar

In each sterile quart jar put:
1 hot red pepper pod
1 t. pickling spice
Pickle slices to within 2 inches of top of jar

Cover with hot liquid. Seal & Process.

If you prefer not to process them the old fashion way, you can keep them in the fridge-but that's a lot of pickles!

Enjoy!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  10:22:34 PM  Show Profile
A friend at work used to make these. Not sure if they are the same as you have had. He buys a large jug of whole dill pickles. The over sized plastic jug kind. He drains the pickle juice, cuts up the pickles into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces, adds a 4lb bag of sugar & an entire bottle of hot sauce. These are so good. You'd never know they began as dill. They taste sweet to begin with & then the heat hits you. Once all that is added you just turn the jar over every other day for about a week or 2.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  11:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Eren,

Working backwords, as usual, I posted about a pickle recipe in the Kitchen sectoin, and then went searching the MJF forum. Tour posting about your 12 day "Bread & Butter" pickles sounds promising...would you care to share the recipe with me? You could post it here, or send me an email...Thanks!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

OhioFarmGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Sharon
Ohio
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi High Strung - I, too, am looking for a pickle recipe but it's for a kosher type dill. We are not sweet pickle people. The ones I've had are full of garlic and very crunchy. Anyone have any recipes for this kind of pickle? I'd rather not process them but keep them in frig.

Ohio Farm Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need pickle recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page