vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:20:30 AM  Show Profile
I can't wait...our boys are now 4, 4, and almost 2...

We are going to the Buffalo River in NE Arkansas.

And my whole family will be there. We are staying in tents, my parents are getting a cabin, and my brother and his wife and their two kids will be missing all of the fun in the posh-tosh lodge.

I would love any advice on camping with kiddos...I am off to go through the archives. I know there has been someone else who has asked the same thing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  12:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eren!

We're excited for the same thing this summer. Can't wait to get out in the woods with Jackson! Dan and I met backpacking, so it's been a little weird to put that "on hold" while I was pregnant and Jackson was so small. But this summer, we're back out there. We plan to do a lot of "cart-in" camping on the North Shore (leave the car about a half-mile away from the site and cart-in your stuff) in preparation for a big week-long backpacking trip to Isle Royale on Lake Superior. I've been packing Jack all around the neighborhood (and on a recent Peace March! see blog) to "train" for this again.

I have no links for info about camping with kiddos, but I need them too, so I'll be watching this thread. I ran across a blog last summer that focused on this topic (and specifically, kids eating on the trail, what to bring, etc.) but I can't remember it. I will share it when I find it again!

Happy trails to you!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  12:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Eren I live about 2 hours from the Buffalo River! You'll have to let me know when you will be here! maybe we can meet!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  12:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I am excited for this summer for the same reason. Seems like I've either been preggers or had tiny lil ones for the past 12 yrs...ok, well I have had that. lol I am ready to get out there and explore and teach the kids survival skills. Any info anyone has would be awesome as I'll be taking them by myself.
Happy camping!!!

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  1:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Our family loves camping too. We do have a large camper, but I do all the cooking outside. We take our boat and go out on the lake everyday to fish, what a blast we have! We're hoping to take the boat out tomorrow, if the rain will hold off for awhile. As far as camping with kiddos, I would make sure I had plenty of sunscreen, bug spray, games, and my youngest always takes his bycicle. The young ones seem to get bored easily. Have a great time.
~~Blessings, Mikki

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  7:11:45 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by cmandle

in preparation for a big week-long backpacking trip to Isle Royale on Lake Superior.

Catherine, I am SO jealous! I have wanted to go to Isle Royale since about 1976. since the first time I heard about it! I love Lake Superior, and an island... But I've always wanted to go because of the moose and wolves. Sigh.

I can't wait to hear about your adventures! When, again, are you going?

Karin

Edited by - YiberryYadeeKarin on Mar 22 2007 7:12:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  7:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karin!

We haven't decided on dates yet, but probably mid-August. It's atrociously hot in Minneapolis then (Minnesota gets all four seasons in a major way) but up north is usually much more mild and even chilly at night by then.

Dan and I have been meaning to go to Isle Royale since we met in Glacier National Park but always get sidetracked with other trips. Dan had done most of the Superior Hiking Trail before I met him and I helped him finish off a huge chunk one summer by going up every other weekend for three-day weekends (back when we both had very flexible bosses!). We also went to the Catskills in New York for our honeymoon, but picked a dry time and couldn't actually backpack due to no water. Glacier always come back to my mind when I think of packing again since we can just take the Empire Builder train straight there (18 hours of knitting bliss on a train...) but he reminded me recently that there IS a National Park very nearby...Isle Royale! I'm totally excited about the moose and wolves too. How cool that they wandered over there on land and then it became an island?!

Here's a song from one of Jackson's CDs "Antler, Bear, Kazoo" (songs from the North Woods for kids! - http://www.antlerbearkazoo.com/)

Isle Royale, Princess of Pine,
Sunlight sparkles on her spine,
Gem of Superior, jewel of the sea,
The waves bow to her majesty.

Isle Royale in a forested gown,
Glacial gemstones in her crown,
A cape of blue and aquamarine,
For a royal island queen.

I might wish to play away in Hay Bay,
Oh grand be the stay of one more day,
Where I may sit upon the knee,
Of isle royalty.

Isle Royale, Princess of Pine,
Sunlight sparkles on her spine,
Gem of Superior, jewel of our sea,
A royal majesty.
Isle Royale majesty.

(I sing this song before naptime for Jackson. He loves it and it gets me thinking about this summer!)

Catherine :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  7:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh Catherine, that sounds heavenly. Cant wait to hear about your trip...and I must start wearing Wyatt more to prepare for our litttle trip. Anyone canoed or rafted with little ones?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  04:43:10 AM  Show Profile
I've camped & canoed with my girls since they were small. Camped since they were infants. Canoed since they were each around 2 or so. I've always put them in their lifejacket and sat them on the floor of the canoe on a flotation cushion. If we canoe with my family - we've tied our canoes together and floated for a time downstream and they could climb from canoe to canoe. But we're leasurely canoe-ers (how do you spell that?) We take our lunch and picnic awhile. (slow moving river) Allow plenty of time to play in the water on shore.

As far as camping. My girls tend to keep themselves busy. A must for us is a body of water - for hubby to fish and for my girls to "muck". They collect rocks, catch crawdads, fish, build damns, and just have a great time. A bug jar is a must!

Sorry to have rambled on. I just love being out in God's Creation! We're headed out in the next week or so - I can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  07:21:57 AM  Show Profile
my hubby & I camped for years w/ 2 small kids & then w/ our youngest. He & I would camp well into late Oct. & sometimes into early Nov. We had lots of great camping equipment. Always used tents, sleeping bags, coleman stoves, lamps you name it, we had it. With the kids we always went out to the dollar store first for butterfly nets, pails, shovels & plastic containers to put their "Treasures" in. They had a blast each & every time we went. Nowadays, we don't camp like that. I want a cabin at least, kids are grown & no lomger have an interest & I no longer want to sleep on the ground but it was fun & I still go as long as I have a structure of some kind.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  10:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Camping! I love it! My husband and I fall mostly into the backpacker/hiker set, though we do car camping from time to time. Backpack style camping is very liberating-- everything you need on your back. We have a small tent, backpacker cookstove, sleeping bags and other basic supplies. I'd like to get out at least once a month this summer. We'll probably go in late May to Illinois Beach State Park. I'd also like to do Starved Rock, White Pines, and Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin this summer. And my dad is getting more into camping again, so we might do a weekend with him. He's got a friend who owns some land right on the Mississippi, and he has an open invitation from them to camp there anytime. I've only ever driven across it, so it would be really cool to be up close to it and get to explore.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  11:53:50 AM  Show Profile
We're looking forward to canoeing again this summer (just moved back to the Ozarks from WA). Our kids are 6, 4, and 8 mos. When Rita, our oldest, was close to 2, we took her floating on slow streams, like Deb mentioned, and portaged whenever we anticipated a tricky spot. A great thing we discovered as far as canoe comfort/safety for a little one is padding the sides of the canoe with those long foam floatie pool toys. I don't know what they're really called, but we cut them in half & they fit snugly on the side rims (of an aluminum canoe anyway). Eased my worries about our little one crashing her head into the hard edge.
We're headed to the Buffalo River, too, Eren - every chance we get! It's about an hour drive for us, but it's worth it.
Jen
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Edited by - jenbove on Apr 02 2007 12:09:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  7:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips on the "noodles" for the edge of the canoe. Great tip!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  07:40:15 AM  Show Profile
This is going to be the 5th year that DH and I will go camping. Usually, the Victoria Day Long Weekend (which is the weekend before Memorial Day) is when most people in Canada kick off camping season. But we've already got the itch, so we're going to go the weekend before that. We've already got a spot picked out, it's Zippel Bay State Park in northern Minnesota, right near Lake of the Woods. One of our favorite spots is Rushing River Campground, on the northern edge of the Lake, so we thought we'd try going south this year.
We always tent it, and we always bring lots of warm clothes. We're not much into boating or canoeing, but we love hiking.
One of the things I love best about camping also is the food. We try to eat healthy, wholesome food while we're at home, but when we go camping, we bring out the "camping food" as DH calls it. It's the only time of the year when we buy potato chips and snacks like that. We have a little beat-up percolator that travels with us, which makes the "camping coffee". I'm not sure if it's the percolator or just being out in the wilderness, but the coffee tastes so much better. I also make "camping eggs" which is a great concoction of eggs, cheese and onions. Mmmmm, can't wait...

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  1:11:39 PM  Show Profile
I agree-- there's something about fresh coffee in the great outdoors. The only time I drink coffee is when I camp. Wow, I can't wait to get out there! Maybe early May we'll go...

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  7:32:36 PM  Show Profile
I camped my whole life as a child camping (I was the baby of six) and then I took my daughter camping her whole life (now she out of college)

I always just took the basics (never left home without the wonderful barbie or cabbage patch and books) but I always packed buckets and stuff so she could explore and packed sweatshirts for the cold am and kept everything basic - (even though we ate pizza made over the fire -baked on the stone from pampered chef)

so have fun and give us updates

beckels
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Camping this summer!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page